The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Herd Animals and Pack Hunters

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Presenting the only big LBT fanfic I've ever finished! :Mo This chapter alone is almost as long as the short story I scraped up for last month's prompt. It's just OCs for the moment, but the Gang of Seven gets in on the action later. (Those of you who've seen my artwork will recognize Chase.)

Let me know what you think about anything here! I'm going to keep rereading/revising my chapters, one at a time!

Chapter 1: Eat or Be Eaten

The little clubtail giggled, a feeble sound that stood in contrast against the power she felt as she made leaves fall from the tree above her by striking its trunk with her tail. After spending the afternoon trekking across the Mysterious Beyond with her parents, she was relieved that they had found a watering hole. While her mother and father quenched their thirst with cool water, the child happily continued playing.

It had been a long time since the little one had gotten the chance to simply play. Ever since an earthshake had destroyed her family’s home, it had been days on end of uncertain wandering. Staying nowhere for too long, they had to constantly remain vigilant in case of—

Snap.

The sound came from behind the little clubtail, and she quickly turned around as her breath caught in her throat. Sticking out from the bushes behind her was a clawed foot that had just trodden across a stray stick. Looking up, that was when the child saw the eyes, feet away and at her face level. They were big and yellow, with slits for pupils…

“SHARPTOOTH!” the little clubtail screamed in terror.

Horrified, her parents stopped mid-drink and spun around, thundering over to show the beast what happened when you stood between a parent and its hatchling.

The fast biter scrambled out from the bushes, snarling.

But the clubtail parents didn’t know that this sharptooth, which wasn’t much larger than their child, wasn’t snarling out of aggression…

“Wait!” Chase shouted desperately in his scratchy growl, which befitted his age of a mere five cold times. “I’m sorry—I didn’t—”

But his sharptooth-language words were overpowered by an enormous tail club, bigger than he was, slamming into the ground and only narrowly missing him. Chase’s survival instincts kicked in, and he attempted, badly, to snap at the flattooth’s tail—but a blow from the other parent blasted a crater into the desert sand inches away from him. The biter was thrown aside by the impact, and he realized that flight, not fight, was the only strategy that could possibly allow him to survive this. No sooner had he turned to run, however, than a tail slammed into the ground in front of him. Panicked, Chase spun around the other way, but again, he was trapped by the clubtails, who were hollering flattooth words alien to his sharptooth ears. Heart hammering against his chest, the little biter realized there was no way out. Curling up against the ground and squeezing his eyes shut, Chase braced himself, sure that a tail club would slam into him any minute now…

A sleek whoosh cut through the air above Chase’s head, and he looked up. Standing in front of him was a fully-grown fast biter, his stance tense and powerful. His scaly indigo skin was marred by a long, deep scar across his face, weathered from the many cold times it had been with him, and he looked over his shoulder to narrow his red eyes at Chase.

“Get out of here!” Strike roared in Sharptooth, though his obey-me-now-or-you’ll-pay tone could very well have transcended dinosaur language barriers. “NOW!”

Chase took off, not daring to look back as screeching battle cries and screams of pain rang through the air. By the time he’d reached the cavern where his pack was camping, he nearly collapsed against its rocky mouth, still shaking over his narrow escape, though perhaps even more so at the thought of what would happen when his father returned.

It wouldn’t have been easy to be the kid who tried to play with flatteeth if he’d been any old biter’s son, Chase figured. But it was even harder when your father was the leader of the pack.

And it was even harder when your father, the leader of the pack, was Strike.

Despite the, well, incidents that Chase had gone through with flatteeth, he was sure he’d be able to make progress with them eventually. He’d watched them from afar as they interacted amongst themselves, and he’d seen that they could be gentle, caring, patient…understanding…accepting.

It was just a matter of getting enough time to explain himself, Chase figured. Once he did, the flatteeth would calm down. He couldn’t blame them for being afraid at first—he saw, every day, what other sharpteeth did to flatteeth.

Strike, on the other hand…he could never be reasoned with.

As Chase watched, Strike’s silhouette soon appeared on the horizon. The boy hesitantly waited as it came closer, until Strike was finally glaring down at him in a way not unlike how he looked at dinosaurs that were soon to be his meals.

“Chase…” he snarled, anger burning in his eyes.

Chase gulped. “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry...” Strike coolly shook his head. “SORRY?” he growled.

“I stepped on a twig!” Chase blurted, drawing away from his father in fright. “I-I didn’t get to explain—”

“Stop!” ordered Strike, stamping his foot down in front of his son, who jumped back at the sight of the curved toe claw inches from his nose. “There is no explaining anything to plant-eaters! You can’t just go explain that you want to befriend them—you don’t befriend them—EVER!”

“I just…”

“The only thing that flatteeth are good for is food. That’s final.”

“But…um…“

“Flatteeth are simple creatures!” Strike interjected. “Stupid creatures!”

Gazing fearfully at his father, Chase didn’t have the bravery—or perhaps stupidity would be a better word—to say anything else.

Trying to swallow his rage, Strike forced a deep breath. “Look,” he told Chase, “you’re a biter—you’re my son! You have it in you to be a hunter—a terror!” He pointed to a rocky outcrop a few yards away, where the other children of the pack had gathered. “Look at your brother practicing his skill with the other kids. He can hunt. He’ll be capable of adult-level attacks in no time. Are you going to let him be a better biter than you?”

Chase apprehensively looked towards the other biter children, who stood a ways away, practicing hunting by slicing into a log with their claws.

“Yes!” the young biter blurted.

He was terrible at slicing, not to mention all other aspects of the hunt. He was small. He was weak. In the midst of the other kids, he was nothing but a target. He’d been practice prey for his brother, Hunter, too many times to count, and Strike—well, he’d only encouraged it.

“No!” Strike snarled. “You go over there and start acting like a biter. You need biter friends. Go—now.” He pushed the reluctant Chase off in the direction of the pack kids.

Too afraid to argue, Chase had no choice but to shuffle off towards the other biters. He watched as a deep-purple biter—his brother, Hunter—used his claws to shred one end of the log into bits while his companions cheered. Maybe they wouldn’t notice him if he kept staring at the ground and didn’t say anything, Chase hoped. Though he didn’t look up, he could tell he was within feet of the others when he entered the smell range.

Adult fast biters were habitually tidy and clean. They prided themselves on being the skillful strategists of the carnivore world, not hulking brutes like the larger sharpteeth. Biters were so skilled in hunting that they almost never had to make a mess in order to kill. Getting oneself bloody was the mark of a poor hunt, and the biter who let such a thing happen would quickly go to the water to wash himself, ashamed.

Fast biter children, on the other hand, were a different story. Their skills were much sloppier, and they hadn’t grown into the concept of hygiene yet. Even though they participated in real hunts much less than the adults—only for practice—the smell of fresh carcass hovered around them for days, until their parents finally reached their limits and made them go bathe. Chase, who had a habit of (intentionally) wandering off during hunting sessions, was the only kid who didn’t smell like raw meat.

“Hey!”

“Look!”

“It’s our favorite flattooth!”

As an outburst of raucous laughter rang out, Chase knew he’d been noticed. He gripped his tail, as he had a habit of doing when nervous, and looked up. The first thing he saw was an orange biter sneering towards him. His name was Skyfire, and his malicious grin was all too familiar to Chase.

“Well, how’s the longneck doing today?” Skyfire asked as he came towards Chase, his voice dripping with mockery. Chase gulped as Skyfire pointed a claw right at his face.

“Nah, longneck’s too good for him!” snorted a green biter called Blaze. “Longnecks’ll at least put up a fight. He’s more like a spiketail!”

“Ooh…!” the group of kids hooted in unison.

The only one who didn’t laugh was Hunter. As his purple snout took on a shade of red, he narrowed his eyes at Chase with pure loathing.

“Aww, it’s a little slow spiketail,” Skyfire jeered. “So, what brings you here, poor baby?”

“Stopping by for dinner?” snickered a silver biter, Night Circle.

Chase clutched his tail a little tighter. “Um…I’m practicing,” he managed to say. “On the log. You know…like you guys.”

“Like us?” Skyfire repeated. “Look at that, guys! It thinks it’s a biter!”

The other kids burst out laughing, except Hunter, who looked away.

“Aww…that’s so cute,” Night Circle mocked.

“Get out of here!” yelled Blaze.

“Guys…hey, wait, guys,” Skyfire spoke up. “Maybe we should give it a chance.”

“What??” Blaze blurted.

Turning away from Chase’s sight, Skyfire mouthed towards the others, “Just go with it, it’ll be funny.”

Then he looked back towards Chase, whose wide eyes played witness to his lifted spirits. Lifted spirits waiting to be crushed, thought Skyfire in amusement.

“Maybe you are a real biter,” he said to Chase. “There’s only one way to know for sure, though. You gotta come join our game!”

“No!” protested Hunter, but no one acknowledged him.

“What is it?” Chase asked hopefully. “Where?”

“You just have to jump over the log and slice through the top of it with one claw!” explained Skyfire.

Chase looked unsure. “In the middle of my jump? Without stopping?”

“Don’t worry,” Skyfire said, “it’s easy for real biters! See all those scratches through the top there? Everybody else here’s already done it!”

Although Skyfire made it sound simple, Chase gulped. He was afraid this stunt would fail at best and hurt at worst.

But he still had to try it. This was his chance—someone was giving him a chance, and he had to take it. This was his opportunity to prove himself as a biter.

He backed away from the log to get a good running start. Feeling shaky, he took a deep breath to steel his nerves. With that, he began hurrying towards the log as fast as he could manage, leaping feet-first towards it.

To his excitement, he realized his jump was going to be enough to take him over the log. That was the first step. A thrilled smile lit up his face as it hit him that he could do this—he was actually doing it! As he flew over the log, knowing what he had to do next, he stuck out his curved toe claw, ready to connect with the wood.

But Chase’s angle was poorly chosen. His claw couldn’t gain enough of a hold to rip all the way through the top of the log, only snagging against a thick piece of bark. Chase could feel himself being thrown off balance…his body was jerked out of its trajectory, and the ground was racing to meet him…

BAM!

“OW!” Chase wailed as he crumpled against the ground, causing the other biters to explode with laughter.

“Spiketail it is!” Blaze hollered. The other biters began an energetic round of clapping.

Not wanting them to see the tears welling up in his eyes, Chase didn’t let himself look towards them. He picked himself up off the ground and miserably trudged away.

That was his chance. And he had failed it.

“Well,” Skyfire jeered at Hunter, “what’s it like having a flattooth in the family?”

Hunter grew a shade redder. “Shut up,” he snapped, snarling at his friend’s face to make his point.

As Chase shuffled across the ground, he heard someone calling his name.

“Chase?” the familiar voice yelled. “Chase!”

Chase turned to face his father, who came towards him with a disapproving stare.

Anger rose up inside the child. What did his dad think was going to happen? Chase couldn’t magically become a good hunter all of a sudden. He couldn’t magically become a good fast biter all of a sudden. Couldn’t his father see that? Couldn’t he see that if Chase could make that choice right now, he would, because it would save him so much failure, so much humiliation?

“I've been trying to tell you!” he shouted at his father. “I’m terrible at being a biter!”

“You are a biter!” Strike hollered in fury. “You will be a biter!”

“But I can't!” protested Chase.

“You can!” shouted Strike. “Listen up, Chase! You’re—you’re going to start acting like a biter! As your pack leader, I’m commanding it!” Thinking on this for a moment, he then ordered, “You’re going to go back to that log every day and keep practicing!”

Chase opened his mouth to argue, “But—”

“In this world, you have to eat or be eaten! And no son of mine gets eaten!” Strike growled. “I’m going to catch some dinner. You sit right there and think about how you’ve disappointed me. You’re lucky I don’t send you back to that log right now!”

As his father stormed off, Chase glared at the ground. Suddenly, something pushed him from behind, making him fall forward. He spun around and saw, without surprise, that it was Hunter. He’d known this would be coming, too, though he still flinched under his brother’s scowl.

“Thanks for nothing,” Hunter growled. “Dad’s delusional—you’ll never be a good biter! Might as well just quit trying!” he snarled. "Quit embarrassing us..." he huffed, giving his brother one more shove before stomping away.

Quit trying?

Chase gave this some thought. An idea began to form in the young biter’s head. An idea that offered hope. Freedom…

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I feel so sorry for Chase.  :(petrie He really needs a friend. This is a nice start! Can't wait to see more!  :Mo

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I feel so sorry for Chase.  :(petrie He really needs a friend. This is a nice start! Can't wait to see more!  :Mo

Thanks @Goldenwind ! :^^spike Working on Chapter 2!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Poor Chase.  It is never easy being the weakest physically in a group or to be the subject of bullying, but it is even worse when you are in a situation where you must either eventually become the hunter or be hunted.  It is quite understandable why he would seek out companionship among flat-teeth under such circumstances, though the obviously has done little to improve his lot with the pack.  Though now with his thoughts turning towards freedom, I can only assume what he is going to do next.

This is quite a nice start that gives us a good overview of Chase as a character and his life situation at the moment.  I look forward to seeing what happens next. :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Poor Chase.  It is never easy being the weakest physically in a group or to be the subject of bullying, but it is even worse when you are in a situation where you must either eventually become the hunter or be hunted.  It is quite understandable why he would seek out companionship among flat-teeth under such circumstances, though the obviously has done little to improve his lot with the pack.  Though now with his thoughts turning towards freedom, I can only assume what he is going to do next.

This is quite a nice start that gives us a good overview of Chase as a character and his life situation at the moment.  I look forward to seeing what happens next. :)

Thank you for the feedback @rhombus ! :)petrie Heh, I'm really glad you left a post here, because I got so caught up with other things recently I forgot to keep working on this. Oops-eeps! :oops I'll have to finally update this. :smile

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Finally posting a new chapter! Some of you might recall that I had a drawing that goes with this one (attached to the end of this post in case anyone missed it). About the term "spikeback," it's the fan-suggested term for Kentrosaurus according to the GoF's Land Before Time Glossary. It wasn't my original name for Kendra's species, but after coming across the glossary, I figured I might as well shoot for fanon consistency.

Chapter 2: Escape

The night circle glowed bright, illuminating the barren land below. The snarling snores of the fast biter pack were all that penetrated the nighttime silence. Nestled into hollowed-out patches of dirt, the adults in one area and the children in another, all the biters slept...except Chase.

Chase knew that what his brother said was true. He’d never be a good biter. He would only keep letting his family and his pack down, getting belittled and picked on while he was at it.

Unless he escaped.

When his older brother’s rattling snore began, Chase sat up. Taking a moment to look over the other kids, he was pleased to see they were sound asleep.

This was it. The coast was clear.

As he took his first steps out of the sleeping spot, Chase’s heart hammered with both fear and excitement, so loudly he hoped no one could hear it. There seemed to be a thrill in the cool night air as the child crept across the sand, and an uncontrollable grin lit up his face. He glanced nervously towards the adult biters as he passed them, but none stirred. This was almost too easy.

Although he was hardly in the clear yet, Chase already felt lighter, as if his impending freedom was lifting a great weight from his body. An impish streak rose within the youngster, and he had a fleeting urge to draw a goofy caricature of his brother in the dirt, or maybe he’d tiptoe past his sleeping father just to make silly faces at him—

His father!

Chase froze when he saw the fast biter sitting atop a rocky outcrop, his gaze turned towards the sky. There was no mistaking the scar across his snout, which appeared to glisten in the moonlight.

The little biter’s breath caught in his throat, and he dared not move. If his dad saw him trying to escape—oh, he didn’t even want to think about how that might end. But how could he get out of this now? For a couple of minutes that felt more like a couple of hours, Chase waited for his father to inevitably turn around and catch him red-handed.

But Strike didn’t turn around. In fact, Chase realized, he was staring at a particularly bright star up above him. And…was he whispering to it?

This was weird, very weird. Chase had never seen his father do anything like this before. He only briefly wondered about it, however, before getting his mind back on his mission.

With his father distracted by…um, whatever he was doing, Chase realized he had a chance to sneak past. For a moment, he was nervous, because sneaking was never something he’d been good at during hunts.

But then Chase felt a burst of determination. His future, his freedom, depended on this. He couldn’t fail now.

Slowly, steadily, stealthily, he put one foot in front of the other, as if he was walking on a tightrope. Each step was taken as cautiously, as quietly, as possible. For what seemed like eternity, as he focused on one step at a time, he didn’t dare to even look towards his father.

Finally, however, he did. Strike was now several yards behind him.

He had actually pulled this off—he couldn’t believe it. Out of pure instinct, Chase wanted to whoop with joy, but he thankfully stifled the impulse. Scurrying away down a nearby ridge, he was soon out of his father’s sight. He couldn’t resist his urge to jump, to skip, to dance across the landscape. For the first time in his life, he felt like he could do anything, like he was his own master for once.

With a spring in his step, Chase continued to march across the sleeping Mysterious Beyond, going further and further until his pack was nothing but a speck in the distance.

When he felt he needed a break from walking, the young biter stopped to look around at the wide-open land surrounding him. Suddenly, he felt a bit strange. He was truly alone now, and even as many times as he had wished for this, it felt weird. Worse, it was more than a little spooky as he started noticing things like the whistling wind and the thick clouds of fog that were beginning to roll in.

“Mom!”

The sound startled Chase, and he jumped in surprise.

“Dad!”

There it was again. Unmistakably, it was a flattooth child’s voice, far softer than a sharptooth’s snarls and growls.

“Hello?”

As Chase listened, wondering if he should respond or not, the child came into view from behind a nearby cliff. Not looking Chase’s way, she continued to call, “Mom? Dad?”

Chase couldn’t quite tell what kind of flattooth she was. Maybe a spiketail? No, her spikes continued up the lower half of her back--she was a spikeback. She sounded afraid, and Chase wrestled with the idea of trying to comfort her. Remembering that he was a fast biter, however, his heart sank as he realized he’d probably frighten her.

But then the child turned around and spotted Chase. She screamed and leaped back at first, but then her eyes narrowed into a glare. “Get away from me, sharptooth!” she shouted, though there was a bit of a quiver in her voice as she held up her tail in defense.

Feeling just as startled as she was, Chase stumbled backwards. It hit him that this was his chance to finally speak to a flattooth…

His chance to make a friend…

There was only one problem, and it was quite a big one: he didn’t know what to say. He blurted the first flattooth word that popped into his head, one that he knew well after hearing it shouted by the prey of every hunt, screamed by the flatteeth he tried to befriend…

“Sharptooth!” It came out in a scratchy snarl of an accent, but the word was unmistakable.

The spikeback girl’s mouth opened in surprise. “You can talk??” she gasped.

Chase nodded. Pointing to himself, he repeated, “Sharptooth.” Then, shaking his head, he added, “No.”

The spikeback looked puzzled. “You’re not a sharptooth?” She stepped closer. “You sure look like a sharptooth…”

Thinking hard, Chase searched for words he could use to explain. “Bad sharptooth,” he finally said.

The spikeback frowned. “You’re…bad at being a sharptooth?” As Chase nodded, her face brightened in curiosity, and she asked, “You mean…you’re a friendly sharptooth?”

“Friendly!” Chase exclaimed, knowing that was the exact word he’d been looking for. He pointed at himself again and smiled. “Friendly…”

The spikeback girl smiled, too, intrigued by this strange new concept. “Wow.” Looking around, she asked, “Are you alone?”

Chase nodded, fidgeting nervously with his tail as he remembered this. “Alone.” His smile fell. “Alone…scared.”

“You can come with me,” the spikeback offered. “I'm trying to find my parents. We got split up by a bad earthshake yesterday. You wanna help me look?”

Chase felt relieved he no longer had to be alone, then thrilled that he had just received acceptance from a flattooth. Was this…his first real friend?

“I'm Kendra,” said the girl. “Who are you? Do you have a name?”

Chase made a strange noise in his throat as he tried to sound out his name in flattooth language. “Chhhh…Chhase.”

“Chase,” Kendra repeated. She blinked in amazement. “I can't believe you talk!”

Chase blushed a little, feeling like he hadn’t done a very good job at it. “Bad talking…”

“No, it’s great,” Kendra insisted. “And I’ll teach you how to talk even better!”

Chase began to grin as, side by side, the new friends walked off together into the night.

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
This was a adorable chapter!  :chompysmile Now Chase has a flattooth friend!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This chapter moved things along quite nicely.  Despite not being particularly long in length this chapter certainly did give me a few things to ponder.  For one, the behavior of Chase's father implies a prayer of some kind to the ancestors or a particular star.  Considering his own concerns for his son, I do wonder if perhaps he was praying for his well-being.  If so, then that prayer might have been answered in a way that he could never have foreseen.  The most intriguing part of this chapter for me, however, is the interactions between Chase and Kendra.  Though Kendra is open to befriending Chase I do wonder if her parents will see things the same way.  I look forward to seeing where things go from here. :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@rhombus Thanks for dropping in! :)littlefoot You can probably tell I try not to answer all the questions in my writing too early. ;) I was interested to see what kind of theories people would have about where things might go from here, so while I can't confirm or refute anything quite yet, I appreciate your speculations! I hope to get Chapter 3 up in the near future. :)

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, I'll be honest, there was a point at which I had decided against posting the rest of this fic. But you know what? I changed my mind! Yeah, I came up with most of this stuff years ago, so it might not be the greatest. But it's still a finished fanfic, so I figure I might as well put it out here anyway. Without further ado, Chapter 3. :)

Chapter 3: The Herd

As the two children continued on their way through the Mysterious Beyond, they followed the path of a small stream.

“I wonder when we’re going to find food,” Kendra mumbled, gazing down at the trickling water. “I’m really getting hungry…”

Chase looked towards her and nodded. “Hungry,” he agreed. His pupils suddenly narrowed. In a panic, he squeezed his eyes shut tight and quickly shook his head, hoping to also shake off the feeling that was threatening to overtake him.

“You, too?” Kendra said, turning to face her new friend. But what she saw made her take a step back.

Chase’s posture was no longer that of the clumsy, harmless kid she’d met moments ago. His back was powerfully arched, with his tail pointing back like an arrow. As he stared at her with pupils like slits, his nostrils flared, and he let out a hissing sound that was feeble compared to most sharpteeth yet still terrifying.

“W-What are you doing?” Kendra stammered. As she kept backing up, the ground beneath her was becoming looser. Knowing she’d fall in the stream if she went much further, she opted to hold her ground, raising her spiky tail even as she trembled.

With a beastly screech, Chase lunged.

Kendra screamed as his teeth came towards her. Pure terror propelled the girl as she whipped around and smacked Chase across the nose with her tail. Her spikes may not have been particularly long or sharp yet, but the hard little nodules were enough to leave a mark.

As Chase yowled, the pain took him out of his hunting trance. His pupils became rounded again, and his posture relaxed.

There was only one problem now. He was falling into the stream.

Flailing his arms in vain, the little sharptooth plunged into the water. It may not have been very deep, but Chase was small, and he definitely wasn’t a swimmer. He coughed and whined as he struggled against the current. A group of fish swimming in the other direction slapped him in the face as he scrambled to reach a rock that was sticking out of the water nearby.

When Chase climbed up from the riverbank, he had a mouthful of something. Kendra, who had been curled up and shivering several feet away from the water, gasped when she saw him. The fear in her eyes was obvious as she jumped back into a defensive stance. It made her feel more at ease, however, when Chase hesitated to come closer, looking ashamed as he sensed her fear.

“So…” Kendra mumbled. “What’s in your mouth?”

Brightening up, Chase eagerly opened his mouth, showing off the half-chewed fish inside.

“Ew!” Kendra gagged. “Have you ever heard of too much information?”

“Food!” Chase squeaked. “Good food!”

That was the scene that Kendra, now nine years older, had in her head as a splat against the rocks beside her jolted her awake. She sat up and saw the teenage version of the young sharptooth she’d befriended standing above her. The small scar she’d left on his face was dusted with frozen sky stars. Below him sat the handful of fish and tree stars he’d just dropped onto the ground.

“What’s the matter?” Chase asked, frowning skeptically. “You were moaning in your sleep.”

“Nothing important,” Kendra muttered, “just some dream.” Just some memory, she though to herself, annoyed. That happened literally ages ago. Why had her brain gone there?

But then, as she heard the wind howling outside the mouth of the cave she and Chase were in, an unrelated realization hit her, and her mind went elsewhere.

“You!” Kendra suddenly shouted, getting to her feet. “You went out in that weather? What’s the matter with you?”

Chase responded to her anger with a disbelieving frown. “We needed food,” he insisted, folding his arms.

Kendra grumbled in reply. For a moment, the friends just stared each other in the face, neither one backing down. Then Kendra bent over to wolf down as many tree stars as her mouth could hold.

“Thanks,” she said through the mouthful, even as she kept up a glare. “Don’t ever do it again.”

Chase grinned.

A loud rumble came from outside the cave.

“Did you hear that?” Kendra asked.

“I’d better see what it is,” replied Chase, standing up. “Stay there.”

“Get real,” Kendra said, going after him. “I’m not letting you go out in that by yourself twice.”

“I know,” Chase laughed. “But making you mad anyway is fun.”

Kendra rolled her eyes and jabbed him with her tail playfully.

The two dinosaurs walked out of the cave into the biting cold, where they saw a large herd of dinosaurs thundering past.

“Oh, it's just some farwalkers,” said Kendra. “Let’s go, before –”

“Look out!” a longneck shouted. “It’s a fast biter!”

That was all it took for half the other dinosaurs to scream in panic, running around in no coherent direction.

Chase shrugged. “I’m used to it,” he said to Kendra. But there wasn’t any hiding the sadness in his eyes.

“Idiots,” Kendra muttered. “Come on, let’s g—”

“Hey!” a female voice shouted over the chaos. “What’s all this ruckus?” An elderly green clubtail with blue armor made her way through the din, fixing a no-nonsense stare on those who had been panicking. “Settle down,” she ordered, and the herd gradually quieted.

Kendra couldn’t help feeling a hint of admiration. This woman meant business.

“A fast biter! Right there!” shouted the longneck who had begun the panic, gesturing towards Chase with his tail.

“I was just standing here,” Chase mumbled somewhat irritably.

A collective gasp went up from the entire herd.

“A talking sharptooth!” a hollowhorn exclaimed.

“And I thought I’d seen everything,” the clubtail muttered. “Dear me...” For a moment, she just squinted at Chase and Kendra, blinking in amazement. Then she smiled. “What are your names, young ones?”

“Chase?” Chase answered quizzically, having only been asked this one other time in his life before.

“Kendra,” muttered Kendra. “Anyway, we’ll just get back in our shelter now,” she said flatly.

“Hang on just a minute! You two are hiding out in that cave all by yourselves?” the clubtail asked.

“Isn’t that what most people do in the cold times?” Kendra huffed.

The clubtail chuckled warmly. “Not in the Great Valley. We’ll be arriving there no later than two days’ time.”

“The Great Valley is a myth,” Kendra snapped. “Just a false promise that drives foolish dinosaurs to their deaths. My family was looking for it when the Great Earthshake hit.” She glared at the clubtail. “And you see how many of us are left.”

“Oh, goodness,” the clubtail said. “I’m sorry, honey. But a lot has changed since the Great Earthshake. Many have found the Great Valley. The path there is common knowledge among wanderers now.” She gazed at Kendra. “When was the last time you were with a herd of your own?”

Kendra scoffed. “Why would I need a herd?”

“You poor kids,” the clubtail whispered. “Come with me, now. You need a better place to get through this season than out here.”

“What??” Chase and a bunch of the herd dinosaurs simultaneously exclaimed.

“Hush and come on with me. I'm not taking no for an answer,” insisted the clubtail, ushering Chase and Kendra into the herd with her armored tail.

The panicky longneck backed away, looking furious and horrified all at the same time.

“Thunder, if you have a problem with this, you can just leave right now,” the clubtail said nonchalantly.

Thunder frowned in disgust. “I will!” With that, he turned and began stomping away.

“Now, my name's Magnolia, but you just call me Maggie, everyone does,” the clubtail told the latest members of her herd.

“Um, okay?” mumbled Chase. “You can just call me Chase. Everyone does,” he said dumbly in return.

“Look, we never said we needed help,” Kendra protested.

“You didn’t have to,” Maggie replied.

“We’ve always been fine on our own,” insisted Kendra.

“Then I suppose you’ll be even better with a herd,” replied Maggie.

Kendra frowned. “I wouldn’t be so sure of that.” She shot a glance at Chase. “You know what I’m saying, right?”

But Chase barely even heard her as he gazed around at the herd in awe, his mouth gaping in disbelief.

Kendra fell silent as she saw the wonder in her friend’s eyes.

“Whoa,” Chase gasped, not even paying attention to how the dinosaurs next to him flinched at his toothy grin.

With a sigh, Kendra smiled at the ground.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Interesting, so it turns out that Kendra and Chase ended up living with one another for nine years, if I understood that correctly in the story. It would be interesting to see how the valley itself reacted if the duo took the clubtail up on her offer to join the herd. Somehow I suspect a certain threehorn would object though (if this is this is set in the television series timeline) then a certain sharptooth in the valley might be quite thrilled.   :OhYou