The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Netflix is losing subscribers

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Link to article:
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/netflix-sheds-subscribers-more-tv-and-streaming-news/

For those who don’t want to read the article, basically what’s happening is that Netflix has lost more than 200k subscribers in Q1 of 2022, and expects to lose 2M more by Q2.

Netflix is technically blaming password sharing for the loss of subscribers, but in reality according to some sources, many people are saying it’s due to Netflix’s unnecessary urge to cancel original shows, prices going up, and the fact that most features of Netflix are locked behind expensive tiers.

To explain what I mean by expensive tiers, picture this, $20 monthly (Premium) for 4k quality, and the allowance of 4 people to watch Netflix at the same time.  Lower tiers don’t have that, which is ridiculous.  Name one other streaming service besides Netflix that requires you to pay extra for the allowance of this features, that’s right, nobody.

Honestly, I think ever since Disney created it’s own streaming service, that’s when Netflix went downhill from there.  It’s sad to see what was once a good streaming service, began to take the path of Blockbuster Video.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised... They want to introduce ads and crack down on password sharing, which in my opinion were two of the main reasons I got Netflix in the first place. They've also been losing a lot of shows to competitors, and are now apparently canceling a bunch of originals because of their loss in revenue/stocks. It's just a big downward spiral!

Just a bunch of decisions that will work against them. I still have my Netflix sub up since my mom uses it a lot, but I might discuss with her to see if maybe she just wants to get her own subscription.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I ditched Netflix a long time ago.  Wait, they want to shove ads down our throats even if we pay for the service?  Yeah, they can all go step on some LEGOs. 

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised... They want to introduce ads and crack down on password sharing, which in my opinion were two of the main reasons I got Netflix in the first place. They've also been losing a lot of shows to competitors, and are now apparently canceling a bunch of originals because of their loss in revenue/stocks. It's just a big downward spiral!

Just a bunch of decisions that will work against them. I still have my Netflix sub up since my mom uses it a lot, but I might discuss with her to see if maybe she just wants to get her own subscription.

Wait, they’re introducing ADS?  The whole point of Netflix is to stream shows and movies without commercials, and now we have to pay extra for no commercials?

Netflix has reached a new low everyone.

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
Right when I was thinking of getting a Netflix account to watch the new MLP stuff, too :neutral

Yea...Imma stick to Disney+ :areyouserious
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Right when I was thinking of getting a Netflix account to watch the new MLP stuff, too :neutral

Yea...Imma stick to Disney+ :areyouserious

I know, I was thinking the same too.  I wanted to get Netflix so I can get to watching Season 3 of BoJack, but if Netflix are going to introduce these new things that I hate, I might have to find alternative methods.

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
An update on the Netflix situation as it’s slowly getting worse.

If you don’t keep up with the news, just to let you know, many animation projects for Netflix are now being cancelled as many animators are getting fired at Netflix.

So far, the projects I’ve seen get cancelled were an animated adaption of Bone, a series called Kung-Fu Space Punch from the creators of Maya and the Three, Wings of Fire, and many other shows that I probably haven’t mentioned.

Netflix’s response?  We want all our animated projects to be like The Boss Baby, I’m not making it up.

ManOfWar GT

• Spike
  • He/him
    • View Profile
An update on the Netflix situation as it’s slowly getting worse.

If you don’t keep up with the news, just to let you know, many animation projects for Netflix are now being cancelled as many animators are getting fired at Netflix.

So far, the projects I’ve seen get cancelled were an animated adaption of Bone, a series called Kung-Fu Space Punch from the creators of Maya and the Three, Wings of Fire, and many other shows that I probably haven’t mentioned.

Netflix’s response?  We want all our animated projects to be like The Boss Baby, I’m not making it up.
This is very sad

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
So I'm kinda confused at the "crack down on password sharing" thing, because Netflix has support for multiple user accounts right there in the app. You boot it up, and there are profiles right there for all the different users to keep track of their own favorites and watch times and progress through each show. Are they gonna remove that and make it one profile per paying user? And if not, how do they expect all these different users on the account to login without sharing a single password?

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 01, 2022, 01:25:47 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 01, 2022, 01:25:47 PM
So I'm kinda confused at the "crack down on password sharing" thing, because Netflix has support for multiple user accounts right there in the app. You boot it up, and there are profiles right there for all the different users to keep track of their own favorites and watch times and progress through each show. Are they gonna remove that and make it one profile per paying user? And if not, how do they expect all these different users on the account to login without sharing a single password?

I’m pretty sure according to an report, they said something along the lines of you paying extra if you try to share a password with someone.  They already started doing these tests in Peru, but right now, it’s a little confusing to them because of how messed-up it is.