The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What type of heater do you prefer?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just something I was wondering about.  I spent all last winter trying to heat my little office with a small ceramic heater and while it worked nice, it was noisy and once it cut off, the room quickly grew cold again. 

Then I discovered the joy of oil-filled radiator heaters.  I have 3 in my house now that I use to heat the rooms I spend the most time in: my office, game room, and bedroom.  They're from 3 different brands but all seem to work pretty good at quickly heating a room.  Oil-filled radiator heaters heat oil using an internal heating element and the oil flows through the coils and radiates heat out into the surrounding air via convection. 

The cons: 
Oil filled heaters take a while to heat up and to heat a space.

They tend to be rather expensive to buy up front compared to other heater types.

The pros:
Oil filled heaters are very energy efficient.  Once they heat up to the desired temperature, they shut off and only turn on again to quickly reheat the oil.  They're very budget-friendly to run.

The oil holds heat for a long time, meaning that temperatures in the room stay consistent. 

These heaters have no fan, so they're virtually silent.