The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Arvens' LBT 11 Review

Petrie · 40 · 6017

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Ok, before any of continue on, do note if you clicked on this link, you don't go bashing me for what I say....I said there were spoilers so expect them.

Ahem,

Ok, where do I start?  Better yet, when can I finish?  Even better yet, is this the last film, because I don't think I can stand another one.  -_-   Ok, no I didn't start watching this film with a mindset of "Oh, I'm going to hate this!"  Actually for a while it wasn't bad, but then I saw things I didn't like.  Maybe I'm getting too old for this.

Animation

Anyhow, it started out nice....then I started noticing things I hadn't noticed.  Maybe this is the computer animation, but all of a sudden, every dino is getting so big-hipped...no joke look at the back legs of these guys some time...you'll see what I mean.  Otherwise, the computer animation has come along really nicely...much too late.  They've done an interesting job with character expression--something I've only seen with those films that have obvious use of computer animation.  8/10

Voices/Singing

Let me start off by saying it's too bad they had to get a new Littlefoot.  This Littlefoot, does not sound anything like him at all.  I had no idea who our guest character voices were--for all I know they could've been ones I've never heard of and it would've made no difference to me.  The songs and singing was a problem--a BIG problem.  The "Creepy Crawlies" song first of all was done by the grownups, and they can't sing at all.  Talking with music.  :blink:  Plus it's another one of those "insulting songs" much like the Who Needs You from LBT IV.  That's nice to be singing around the house.  Ok, the next one is about dads and is sung by--you guessed it--Cera and one of the little tinysauruses, Lizzie.  At least Cera can sing, but I guess the nature of the song, about how dads should "lighten up" has me being pulled in two different directions.  Yes, let the kids have their fun dad, but you can't let them do everything.  You be the judge.  And our final song, a duet between Littlefoot and Grandpa....ok....only problem is--they can't sing!!!  :x  Don't even ask, but it was just like Thicknose's song from LBT 8--it would've been better if they didn't sing at all.  3/10 (they should be grateful I gave it that)

Plot and Everything Else

This is where you'll find the spoilers.  This is also where I get the most sarcastic so bear with me, and if you're not sure if I'm joking around or on laughing gas, it's probably a bit of both.  -_-   Anyhow, first case in point is how the plot starts--Littlefoot thinks he's too small, in the sense he isn't big, sizewise, not necessarily smarts wise. ;)  Then of course we get the tree sweets and they exaggerated how they came to get eaten by little uh, I don't even know their species, so I'm guessing it's a genetic mutation  :^.^: .  Tria and Threehorn (aka Topsy)  :blink:  ok, so they're lovers but nothing happens thank goodness as for a while there I thought they were going to make out in front of the camera.  Cera doesn't like someone taking the place of her mother of course.  The early episodes of Full House felt the same way.

Littlefoot's whopper of a lie nearly causes the death of those little tykes.  I guess their fun underground (yes the ground under most of the Great Valley is apparently hollow so don't ask why it doesn't cave in because I don't have that answer).  They learn that even their different they can still be fine friends.  Ok, I don't have a problem with that--if that wasn't the point of the first theatrical film we so loved.  Nice plot recycling there.

Of course every plot needs some type of Sharptooth for action, and they come as what appear to be something of a Utahraptor--bigger than JP's raptors (they didn't have that claw).  Hey Malte, if you read this, I know one thing you don't like is how they portray Sharpteeth in LBT films as absolute idiots.  Well, they not stupid, but they sure are tickilish.  :blink:  :blink:  You heard me....one of them gets tickled by those little longnecks (for lact of a better name, literally since I don't know what they are) and I just was saying, "Oh geez," all the while.  Of course they get chased away and Mr. Threehorn (I won't call him Topsy, ok Cera?) definitely appeals more to Tria.

Of course in the end Littlefoot admits to his lie and that he was wrong and all that.  He's lied before so I guess these adults are pretty good at forgiving him by now.  In the end, I guess having a lie cause all of that, Littlefoot sure must've felt down on himself...I know I would be if a lie got so far out of hand.   Somehow he feels all better at the end as everything is forgiven and the little longnecks have to live in the Great Valley.  Ok, so it's almost like we reused the plot of the theatrical film in this one to say again that prejudice isn't the way to go.  I would've watched the first film if I wanted my kids to learn that.

Overall, plot would've been nicer if it didn't come off as a recycled plot of the film we all knew and loved.  5/10

Final Comments

In the overall scheme of things, I thought for at least the first fifteen minutes that this would be an ok film, nothing great but nothing terribly bad.  Unfortuantely, putting people on stage who cannot sing even behind a microphone isn't good.  I'm sorry.  That's the hard truth.  Plot could've been better--much better.  I guess they really are running out of things to do....maybe this is really it then.  The new characters, get just an ok.  Tria, comes off as one who wants to replace Cera's mother (which we know nothing about after the first film) and I've seen that in many films.  In the end the moral of just putting differences aside (b/t Cera and Tria) and just trying to be friends is best.  As for the little longnecks, they're alright...you really don't learn much about them at all.  Big Daddy, wow, what a way to pun a small fry considering his size (yes pun intended on my part) and I guess he's alot like Cera's dad.  Anyone else is pretty much just the same old person they've always been.  

Maybe I'm too old for this...oh wait I already said that....ok, now I'm certain of it, I am too old for all of this.  Maybe a child would see this differently than me, and maybe they'd get a nice kick out of the little dudes tickling the raptors.  :rolleyes:  Maybe I should've screened it with someone younger beside me.  Either way, the only film I can see this appealing to are young kids.  Basically you're watching the first film with little longnecks instead of little pterosaurs and there's no big lie to overcome in the first film....just the predjudice that we already learned about.  This movie didn't fly; and neither did Petrie if I had to count how many times they let him fly into a solid object.  <_<

Final grade = D  (and no, it doesn't stand for "dandy")

A much more condensed version of this will make it's way to landbeforetime.org in due time.  Until then, you can better enjoy your LBT experience by watching the first film and pretending this one never happened.  :yes

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is as I had feared. the movie was poor. The last two films have Imo been not up to par with the earlier ones. There is going to be a 12th film, so 5 bucks says there will be a new Littlefoot(hopefully, one who can sing). i just hope its better than this one.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm.. your review makes me not want to even download this movie.. \: I guess hey're trying to end the LBT series in the worst way possible... Like I said so many times, instead of trying to teach little kids about stuff they're tired of knowing they could forfil their promises and put Ali and maybe Chomper back in the scene...

Btw the new graphics and banner are very cool, I just don't like the add reply buttons, I liked them more as they were =p
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is as I had feared. the movie was poor.

For the record, keep a watch on http://www.imdb.com for other reviews.  Not everyone will see the film the same way, so unless your overall opinion is similar to what I've thought of the previous films, maybe at least rent it (glad I did so) and see it for yourself. ;)

Btw the new graphics and banner are very cool, I just don't like the add reply buttons, I liked them more as they were =p

The "add reply" button things were done by Wayne (Threehorn) not me.  :unsure:  Glad you like the new setup though. :) :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
:cry
Maybe I'm too old for this...oh wait I already said that....ok, now I'm certain of it, I am too old for all of this.
If only it was the age! The original movies and the sequels we love are also considered child stuff by most people. We are not to be blamed for getting older, they are to be blamed for making poorer movies. :cry

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, I'm pretty certain I won't be watching a 12th film if there is one.  To me, it was just too much a letdown once I saw the plot was baked from the first film.  Trust me, I'm sure it's done.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe they'll bring Ali back. Who knows?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ali can't save the series.  Kind of like how bringing back Alan Grant for JPIII didn't make it a better film and JP I think is done now. ;)

NightWing

• Ruby
    • View Profile
This movie looks great!
Nah, just kidding. Anyway, I'll try to get a hold on it but I won't insist since it looks not even as good as the other sequels.
I just wonder why they had to make the crew tikkles raptors o.o"
Why not turning them into friendly little helpers!
*is being sarcastic*

Platvoet en zijn Vriendjes

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/landbeforetime
Well maybe they must do a new style for Littlefoot and his friends. Because they are all now almost 17 years old, can't the grow? I think they are hardly even bigger than my dog. They should be teenager dinosaurs by now. :lol:  whahaha i hope someone is supporting this :D

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would be. :p  I'm not sure I'd like a story like that though. ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
:lol:  Whether or not the LBT characters should grow up and mature is one of the heated debates among LBT fans.  :lol:  
I personally like them so much the way they are that I oppose the idea of their looks being changed. But I know that many fans think differently about that.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I got my LBT 11 DVD today. It came through the post and I have watched. I don't see anything wrong with it. I loved the film!

Bring on the next I say! Soon I will start to do some drawings from this new DVD. I am going to do snap shots and then draw from those snap shots.

I know that some think it isn't so cool but I liked the songs and film itself. To my surpise the voice actor of Littlefoot in this one was much better then the one in LBT 10. Sounds much like the littlefoot from the other 9 before number 10.

Soon you will see act work. in the next coming 3 weeks.  ;)

-Threehorn

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I also saw JF3 anf they're making a JP4. It should come out in the next few years.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Really? JP 4? never thought they would do so, I thought that JP 3 was the last one  they would make

-Threehorn

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There's rumors of a JP IV but we haven't heard anything in so long, I wonder if its really true anymore. :(  Not that I care because you guys all know I'm not a sequel person.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hey Matle, I got a load of screen shots for LBT 11. Would your mate like them?

If so I will send them straight away to you!.

-Threehorn

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sure he will! Thank you!  :)  :)
It may just take a few days for me until I get past a fast connection again to forward the pictures to him. Thank you very much!

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
JP4 is either coming out this summer or next I'm not sure.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile