The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Saddest Game Moments?

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
The mission "Aftermath" in Call of Duty 4.

SPOILERS BELOW!
Basically, the terrorists set off a nuke and destroy their entire capital city.  Your helicopter crashes and your character dies soon afterward, either from radiation poisoning, or more likely from injuries in the crash.  If you go onto the playgroun, you'll hear the ghostly sounds of children playing and if you go right before you die, you'll hear a girl's voice say something like 'I love you daddy".

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
Quote from: General Grievous,Jul 12 2008 on  02:06 AM
The mission "Aftermath" in Call of Duty 4.

SPOILERS BELOW!
Basically, the terrorists set off a nuke and destroy their entire capital city.  Your helicopter crashes and your character dies soon afterward, either from radiation poisoning, or more likely from injuries in the crash.  If you go onto the playgroun, you'll hear the ghostly sounds of children playing and if you go right before you die, you'll hear a girl's voice say something like 'I love you daddy".
Really? I gotta replay that level and make it to the playground.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I haven't ever actually cried at any games. (I did cry once at a TV shot, but that's not the topic to discuss this on.) I did find the ending of the Eternal Night to be quite sad though and the song "Broken Soul" only reinforced that feeling.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
There's the part in Halo 3 in which everyone on Earth believes that Master Chief is dead, and his military number (117) is scratched onto a makeshift monument to the dead in the conflict...

SPOILER

...But Master Chief is really alive and is simply stranded out beyond the reaches of the Milky Way Galaxy. He is in a cryogenic tube and it will be years before he can be recovered...

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Ending of Force Unleashed.

You've played as the Secret Apprentice through the entire game, seen him face his demons, and in the end, watch as he attempts to kill Palpatine with a suicide lightning attack.  What made it so sad were two scenes.  

1) Vader looking down at him for a moment, then shaking his head, saying...
"He is...Dead..."

With such sadness that you can tell he has lost all hope of being free from what he became, and

2)  Juno (Your pilot/love interest) standing alone on Kashyyk, looking up at the stars, when your second mentor, Master Rahm Kota, walks up beside her, starting a conversation...
"You knew who he was all along, didn't you?" (Juno)
"Maybe I did."
"Then why did you help us?"
(Master Kota pauses, then responds)
"When I saw him again on Cloud City, I saw anger, fear, and darkness in his heart.  But in the midst of it all, I saw one beautiful, shining thing."
"What was that?"
(Kota looks at her for a moment)
"You."
(He walks back inside, as Juno looks at the stars shining above her...)

So sad, and so... touching...
 :cry

PROXY's death is also sad, because he dies defending you, and he has mimicked the appearance of Obi-Wan, Vader's old master...

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Proxy can be repaired though.  I thought the begining of The Force Unleashed was sad.

Compy-Rex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hmm...

I'd say in Call of Duty for DS when Captain Gregoriev is sniped. Not sad, but he had the best quote in the game.

*shoots twice at deserter* "Consider this a promotion comrade, now get in the tank."

Also, the ending in Alien Hominid and Captain Keyes' death in Halo.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Aerith's death is the winner for sure. No one saw that one coming, and they made it permanent... no miraculous resurrection, no reunion between Cloud and Aerith.

Seargent Johnson's death in Halo 3 is pretty sad as well, and even more sudden than Aerith's... and we all though that Johnson had dodged the bullet back on the Ark...

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm going to go with all of Bioshock.

If while playing that game you didn't want to either

A) break down sobbing

or

B ) cower in fear in a corner

than you sir, have no soul.  Great game though :smile

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
halo 3 is pretty sad when master cheif and the arbiter look at each other and that's the last they ever saw each other.....i'm not saying they were gay but...they were like best friends
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
In some strange sense, the ending of the Wei storyline in Warriors Orochi 2 is sad.
In a single quote.

"It looks like this world you created belongs to the humans now."( Supporting Character to the Main Enemy through the game, as she shuts his eyes)
"But...that's what you wanted all along, wasn't it?"

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Gears of War 2

The scene where Dom finally finds his long missing wife Maria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAuz7HeiOFE

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've finished GOW2 and the only time where dom saw his wife Maria was when he was unconscious inside the riftworm

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
something i found that was sad was the end of star wars republic commando when--

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

--Sev dies (squadmate), the entire squad is set to regroup and sev is on his way to get back to the others then they lose all contact with him........ it was possibly count dooku that took sev down

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The ending to Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

Imagine (SPOILER) finding out that the world you're in and the memories you had were just fake ones created by your friend and you had to leave that world, never to return.

Andy-rex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
In mass effect when you have to choose who you want to save, Ashley of Kaiden.Its always a sad choice for me and i've beaten the game a bunch of times but i still get a knot in my throat.The characters are so well developed that you connect with them and think that they are real.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The end of Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night...
I have an off topic question (Please don't kill me Andy-Rex) to our Spyro experts. I've never had a console, thus never played any spyro games, but I did hear, read and watch (youtube) a bit about the plot of the latest Spyro trilogy. Did I understand the part right that at the end of the final episode (Dawn of the Dragon) it turns out that the character Cynder had throughout the whole second episode (Eternal Night), deliberately worked for that bad master?
Another question is about the end of Eternal Night which you mentioned, that crystal in which Spyro, Cynder, and Sparx end up at the end of that episode (summoned apparently by Spyro) what is it? Is there any mention or explanation earlier in the episode of what Spyro was doing there to protect himself and the others from the collapsing rock?

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say she was working for him.  It was more like he used her to get things happening how he wanted them to.  Against her will.
As for the end of the second game, it never really is all that well explained.  Possibly time manipulation.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
She does claim not to know, but in the clip I watched on youtube (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVzVAPONNlw&feature=PlayList&p=EF1209EFA4A5B4B0&index=37) it seems not really clear if throughout Eternal night she was acting deliberately or not.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She could have been confused and unsure what to do, and influenced by the bad guy, or corrupted by him, or a mix of the two.