The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ruby

Noname · 85 · 14784

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I'm surprised that we don't have a topic about this character... we do now. What we know about her:

-She is a pink-colored oivraptor ("fast runner") with the tendency to reverse sentences.
-She is probably the fastest on the ground of all of the seven main characters.
-She is probably the oldest of them as well (she is larger than Chomper in spite of the huge gap between the sizes of their species when fully grown.)
-She is the only one of the seven to have never yet appeared in any of the movies.
-She and Chomper were forced to flee their parents and learn how to live together in the great valley.
-She and Chomper live in a series of caves.
-She has two parents still alive and two siblings.

Anything else?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Chomper's parents asked her to look after him.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She also seemed to enjoy that mud a lot... and she has no teeth.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I had forgotten about those 2.

stars

• Spike
    • View Profile
she also repeats her self when she talks and she has feathers and a bird beak face is colorful like a parrot but is a dinosaur  :^.^:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She is an omnivore.  There is an episode showing her eating a snapping shell.

She knows how to swim, also shown in an episode when she swims a bit underwater.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Noname,Apr 21 2008 on  02:01 AM
-She is probably the oldest of them as well (she is larger than Chomper in spite of the huge gap between the sizes of their species when fully grown.)
I'm not sure about that. If you ask me, i think she's just a little older than everyone else. She just already have a "grown up's" personality. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I was very skeptic when I first heard that the GOF was to be expanded in the TV series to become a GOS including not just Chomper, but also another character who (according to Aria) was initially meant to be named Ovie before her name was changed to Ruby.
As in so many other respects seeing the TV series did change my mind to some degree. They did manage to adopt the new characters without this move going at the expense of the role the other characters play and Ruby is a rather interesting character instead of a mere attempt to catch interest by just throwing a new name into the ring (as has been the case in some other series).
In some ways Ruby is different from all the other characters. While she is friendly and sociable, she also has moments when she wants to be alone with her thoughts which is something we haven't seen from the other characters (Littlefoot's "On your own" trip in LBT 6 was based on a different motivation). None of the other characters ever came up with anything like a "thinking place". Perhaps Ruby is the kind of character who thinks about many things the others won't bother with at all. Sometimes there is a melancholic trait about her too, because of her separation from her family (a trait which we might rather expect from characters like Littlefoot whose mother is dead rather than just somewhere else (which is the case with Littlefoot's Dad)). I sometimes wonder what is keeping Ruby's parents and her younger siblings from coming to the Great Valley too. And I also wonder if Ruby's diet has ever been the cause of uneasy feelings in the Great Valley. The snapping shell indicates that the authors of the series did not fail to notice her being an omnivore. Perhaps her ability to settle with green stuff too makes the matter easier than Chomper's case, but still I could see why expecting parents would not feel happy to have a potential egg eater anywhere near their nests. With Ruby being a very sensitive character a story along those lines might be quite interesting. I sometimes wonder if her being more reflective than most of the others makes her a bit more withdrawn herself. While she is very ready to encourage others to share their feelings with her and the others (e.g. her reaction to Cera admitting that she was scared) I think it takes a bit encouragement on the part of the others for her to speak about this.
More than any of the others Ruby is a thinker and loves to express her thoughts (sometimes very simple facts) in a somewhat tricky kind of talking (a habit which can be found among many people who think too much).
As for her age, we can draw some conclusion from the episode "The star day celebration". With all the star days shown in that episode we see that she is at least 6 years old, but possibly older. Being asked to take care of Chomper strongly suggests that she is older than him (very likely considering Chomper was born after the whole rest of the gang too) but I don't think she is necessarily the oldest. She may be, but I don't think any age difference between her and Littlefoot is very substantial. One might think that her greater knowledge might suggest her being older than the others, but in any case I hardly think that the claim that she is old enough to enjoy the "wisdom of ripe old age" would stand a test :lol
I guess her knowledge is probably based on her curious and reflective nature and perhaps partly on the fact that she spend most of her life in the Mysterious Beyond. There she probably lived a semi-nomadic life, that is she and her family were traveling but only within a limited area. That they were traveling rather than settled in one place is suggested by Ruby's knowing that her family will be at hanging rock on a particular day and that they are living within a limited area is suggested by the fact that Redclaw seems to be such a problem for them. They could just move out of his range if they were "far-travelers".
I think you Austin (landbeforetimelover) are the severest critic of Ruby. If memory doesn't fail me you once described her as "eudaimonia" with regard to the fact that she seemed to "enjoy the mud too much" in "The Mysterious Tooth Crisis". I am not really sure if enjoying being happy and enjoying to enjoy things is really a "flaw of character". You even have it in your declaration of independence as the "pursuit of happiness". I admit that she looked a bit drowsy in that scene, but what's wrong with that? It's not like she had taken some illegal drug or something.
One funny thing I notice is that even though you criticized Ruby for being eudaimonia, you still chose a picture of her looking very much like that for your signature. :lol
I guess I can relate to Ruby as she shares some of my own quirks while it may be more tricky to relate to her for anyone who does not.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To me at least it doesn't make sense why her parents didn't go with her back to the gret valley when they had the chance to.  

Likely I'd guess her family does move within a certain area.  She seems to know a certain area of the Mysterious Beyond as if she had been traveling around within it.  

She may be older, or may just seem older since she may think about things and perhaps asked her parents many questions.  She may spend a bit of each day reflecting  or thinking her experiences or just when she feels the need, a thing most of the gang seem less likely to do, except once in a while.

Also she may seem older since she had younger siblings and helped to look after them, or her nature may make her seem older then she is.  It is difficult to try guess the gang's ages.  The closest one could do would be perhaps to guess by what they often do, their knowledge of things and such like that.  That would only give an age range equivalent to humans like 8-10, 6-10, or such like that.  

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
she got something i don't like,

but i don't know what :unsure:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I think you Austin (landbeforetimelover) are the severest critic of Ruby. If memory doesn't fail me you once described her as "eudaimonia" with regard to the fact that she seemed to "enjoy the mud too much" in "The Mysterious Tooth Crisis". I am not really sure if enjoying being happy and enjoying to enjoy things is really a "flaw of character". You even have it in your declaration of independence as the "pursuit of happiness". I admit that she looked a bit drowsy in that scene, but what's wrong with that? It's not like she had taken some illegal drug or something.
One funny thing I notice is that even though you criticized Ruby for being eudaimonia, you still chose a picture of her looking very much like that for your signature. dino_laugh.gif
I guess I can relate to Ruby as she shares some of my own quirks while it may be more tricky to relate to her for anyone who does not.

Yes, I really do dislike this character.  She seems too empty to me, but I suppose that's because we've all seen the others in longer movies rather than in short little clips like in the TV series.  As for the character image in my signature, I needed something that was long for me to display text under and I thought the picture made her look like an addict of something. :lol

I cannot explain in full detail why I dislike Ruby so much.  I do believe however that five characters is a very good amount of characters to have and that any more than that just wouldn't feel right.  Maybe it wouldn't bother some of you, but some members haven't grown up with LBT like I have.  It just seems like instead of adding a character, they're taking something away.  I can't explain it rationally.  Probably because it's just an opinion invoked by an emotion.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The strangest thing about it is, that I would pretty much EXPECT myself to think exactly the way you do Austin. But in this case I am expecting my own expectations.
I was very skeptic about the TV series in general and I am really very disapproving of anything that doesn't seem like LBT. Nevertheless after seeing most of the episodes I must say that I think that some gaps not yet covered by any of the existing characters have been filled in with Ruby.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like Ruby personally, though I can see why some would dislike her.  They are use to the gang from the movies and in the tv series it's a large change.  I wonder what some would say if the gang of seven were Ali and Chomper being added to the gang instead of Ruby and Chomper.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The "pursuit of happiness" in the declaration of independence needs three qualifiers for those from abroad:

1. It is in the Declaration of independence, not the Constitution, and as such, is not actually part of the laws.

2. The founders spoke of a pursuit of happiness, not necessarily the obtaining of it.

3. In keeping with our enlightenment/classical roots, the "happiness" described is along the lines of internal happiness and self-control; not mere physical pleasure. Happiness comes from within, not external circumstances.

This all relates to the fact that Ruby looked like she enjoyed the mud too much... a better example would be Cera getting upset that Chomper's tooth problem disrupted her from soaking in the mud; she seemed a little too attached to it. And the bad way she treated Chomper... we have nasty words in the U.S. for describing such nasty females...

Also, Ruby doesn't appear to be the most intelligent. She is probably the third most intelligent after Littlefoot and Cera; it is Littlefoot who comes up with most of the plans...

P.S. I don't know how other cultures react, but most Americans would view Ruby when she was relaxed as addicted. I know I do; she really sounded that way, and so did Cera.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I mentioned it as part of a joke  ;)
1. It is in the Declaration of independence, not the Constitution, and as such, is not actually part of the laws.
But does that make these truths any less self-evident?
2. The founders spoke of a pursuit of happiness, not necessarily the obtaining of it.
But pursuing something is usually based on the hope of obtaining it. If one permits anyone to pursue anything one risks that he or she may actually get it.
3. In keeping with our enlightenment/classical roots, the "happiness" described is along the lines of internal happiness and self-control; not mere physical pleasure. Happiness comes from within, not external circumstances.
If Ruby felt physically relaxed in that mud this may contribute to psychological happiness as well. Physical pleasure (and that needn't be more than a warm bath or a warm bed after a long day) may be one factor of psychological happiness and I don't see why it should be scorned as if our physical conditions were no part of our psychological state.
This all relates to the fact that Ruby looked like she enjoyed the mud too much... a better example would be Cera getting upset that Chomper's tooth problem disrupted her from soaking in the mud; she seemed a little too attached to it. And the bad way she treated Chomper... we have nasty words in the U.S. for describing such nasty females...
Is it really up to us to decide how much they should enjoy anything? I think I see what you are meaning, but your lines strongly suggest that you are interpreting way too much into the movie. Words to describe "such nasty females"???
Come on! Would it be alright for Spike only to enjoy that bath?
As for the claim of addiction, it was the only time ever we saw her there. And it is really not like a warm bath (remember they don't have water stand-pipes to turn whenever they want hot water, so it would be more spectacular for them than for us) could be compared to an illegal drug.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Nevertheless after seeing most of the episodes I must say that I think that some gaps not yet covered by any of the existing characters have been filled in with Ruby.

I don't see what Ruby has brought to the gang except an evening out of gender, an annoying smart-mouth, and a babysitter for Chomper.  I honestly see her as a useless character just made to fill time with her dumb sayings that are so obvious it really makes the TV series seem childish.  She just doesn't fit in because she honestly doesn't have a true purpose that's worth a grain of salt in my opinion.  I hope I didn't offend anybody, but this is my opinion.

I agree they needed another female character, but Ali would have been much better.

I mean, why couldn't Ali and Chomper have met out in the mysterious beyond and Ali's herd took him with them to the great valley?  Then perhaps Ali could have taken the place of Ruby.  As for the large amounts of dinosaurs, perhaps they could say that a lot of their herd had died off from disease and they had to come to the great valley, bringing Chomper with them?  That would have been so much better than adding some weird pink smart-mouthed dinosaur to the gang.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, we DO hear that Spike, Cera, and Ruby are at the mud pools again in a later episode... the one with Hyp, Nod, and Mutt returning in it (

And the point about pursuit of happiness is important; because since it is only the pursuit which is self-evident, no one could sue (even if it was the law, which it isn't) the government because they were unhappy.

As for happiness... we all know that it must come from within; there are plenty of people with all of the physical and material things they say they want, but they are still unhappy.

EDIT: And Spike didn't yell at Chomper. Cera did. Even if Spike could yell, he probably wouldn't.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As for happiness... we all know that it must come from within; there are plenty of people with all of the physical and material things they say they want, but they are still unhappy.
Now that's a topic in of itself, right there.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And its so true. Ever watched Citizen Kane?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Spike has yelled only twice, once in the 4th movie and once in the 8th movie, both under extreme emotions, I'll not say details to avoid spoilers.