The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ruby

Noname · 85 · 14782

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Annoying! Is one word but she seems to be know it all when it comes to sharptooth.Does she know everything about them?She sounds arrognant to me when talking about sharpteeth and others. She believes if she learns how the dinos in the great valley live she will save all dinokind. Give me a break. Talk to the meteor or did they die from  rats eating their eggs.  She is a little bit to self righteous for her own good and even stuck up. Chomper' parents ask her to take care of baby which is a bit crazy.Why would anyone in trust their baby to her? I don't know about you but I always thought baby sharpteeth were hard to take care of and I thought Chomper is pretty hard. He is little too smart, curious,eager and imaginative. She isn't doing a good job in my opinion and it would be better for him to be with his parents or with another sharptooth. She suppose to protect him from Redclaw but sometimes I wonder if he would do a better job of teaching Chomper to survive in the mysterious beyond or taken care of him. :mad Ruby is still a kid herself and still pretty immature to take care of herself without being responible for someone's elses baby.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Well... Ruby may be larger than Chomper, but it is hard to see how she could keep him safe... she has no teeth, no ability to really fight, and her only defense is running away...

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind Ruby coming in for a movie of land before time, after all there are some key points that were left unexplained when she came in and even if i prefer the GOF i favour continuity and the storyline making sense more.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Noname and rosie, you both bring up a good point.

Ruby is not an adult or even an adolescent; why would Chomper's parents entrust her with their only son? Furthermore, she can't protect him.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be that they assumed she and Chomper would remain with her parents, or maybe eventually go to the Great Valley where they knew he'd be safe and / or Chomper's friends they met on the island live.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ruby ain't all that great to begin with.  Not saying I don't like her she's ok (for the series that is), but shes is SO out of everybody's league that's is how much an unexpected character she really is.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They should have introduced her formally, with her arriving in the valley in the first episode, rather than making her just pop in and then explaining her appearance retroactively.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Well... Ruby may be larger than Chomper, but it is hard to see how she could keep him safe... she has no teeth, no ability to really fight, and her only defense is running away...
Just because an animal doesn’t have teeth doesn’t mean it can’t bite. Trust me; a scarlet macaw nipped me on the forearm once. It wasn’t much more than an annoyed pinch, and the fact that I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt meant that the bite didn’t even pierce the skin, and yet I still had a substantial bruise on that arm for at least two weeks afterwards (I didn’t hold it against the macaw, though :p). And while I can’t imagine a bite from Ruby would do much against a large sharptooth (though, for that matter, neither would one from Chomper), I have considerable respect for the jaw strength of any dinosaur that can pulverize a clam into a swallowable mouthful in about eight bites without the aid of teeth. :o

P.S. I am working on a mammoth post (more of a thesis, really) detailing my theories about Ruby, her home, family, species, and mission, that I will be posting here sometime in the near future (provided it doesn’t end up needing its own thread). Just thought I’d get this out of the way first. ;)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I hope they will explain more about her in LBT 14 if there is any.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I do not suppose Ruby was placed "in charge" of Chomper for matters of brawn or because anyone thought that she would be able to beat up any attackers. 12 year old kids are (in a temporary absence of their parents) not placed in charge of their 7 year old brother or sister because the parents think that the 12 year old could deal with dangerous situations by violent means but rather because the parents would consider the 12 year old "experienced" enough to avoid some dangerous situations in the first place. Given Chomper's extreme youth (though we admittedly don't see it very pronounced in the series) this may have been the line of thinking of Chomper's parents. Furthermore Ruby's role may have been sort of "diplomatic" in nature as she would be less likely than Chomper to provoke any immediate attack the moment she was spotted by a leafeater and she may be well suited to sort out stuff for Chomper with the leafeaters. I wonder if Ruby may have played quite an important role in how Chomper was accepted in the Great Valley in the first place. After all she is considered to be kind of a convincing speaker as well as a reasonable thinker. Both of these are factors which are more likely than any thought of physical strength to have played a role in the apparent decision of Chomper's parents to let Ruby take care of Chomper.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think it was her age (older than Chomper), along with the fact that she could marginally take care of herself that made her his "babysitter." She might not have to watch him if he grows up too much in the valley; we don't know how long she and him have been separated from their families, after all.

I was also thinking that Ruby might be able to carry Chomper and run; she is, as her Land Before Time Species name suggests, a "fast-runner", so if she needed to get him out of danger quickly, she might be able to. There is also some suggestion that she might be under a lot of stress watching over Chomper; she said that it would be good to "let herself go" when asked if she wanted to go to the mud pool...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If Ruby does appear in a movie (though I hope she doesn't), you've got to ask yourself what she would look like.  After all, LF and co look a lot different in the movies than in the TV series.  It's reasonable to assume that Ruby would look a lot different too if she was placed into a real movie.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They don't look THAT different, although the movies generally had higher-quality animation than the TV series, at least, after movie 8...  anyway, Ruby will probably not appear in a film... or ever again, if the series is indeed can celled and cannot be brought back, as might be the case.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Most likely. I would dislike it if they would put Ruby in the movies.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Personaly, I think it would be good if they put Ruby in a sequel, it would be nice to have an ok character in the sequels that doesn't completely annoy everyone. :p

Anyhow, I'll believe it when I see it. And if a movie does come out...I doubt I'll watch it...I'm sorry but I really lost all that faith in LBT to do anything good or decent anymore...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Personally I regret that so far Ruby is lacking a real background story. As a character she was in a sense a logical supplement to the existing Gang as there was no "wizkid" in the Gang until she came along. I really think she can add a lot to a story.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't like ruby.

Yeah, me either.  I wish she would have left in that episode....."Return to Hanging Rock" or something like that.  But anyway, she's obviously here to stay and I bet she'll be in it if there's another sequel.

EDIT:
Misspelled "quote" in the quote tag. :oops

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pikkutassu,Nov 29 2009 on  02:53 PM
Quote from: Mumbling,Nov 29 2009 on  03:34 PM
I don't like ruby.
Me neither.. doesn't fit to the gang. Just a bad idea from that new female director.
Can you guys say what you don't like about Ruby?

I don't mean to nag you guys, I'm just curious why you have a dislike of her. What is it? Her looks? Personality, quirks? What?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Can you guys say what you don't like about Ruby?

I really don't like the way she looks.  Pink is not a good color for a dinosaur, sorry.  Cera's color was bad enough (though it was better and more realistic in the earlier sequels).  She's so drastically different from the gang, she just doesn't fit in.  I really don't like her character either.  I feel she dumbs down the series.  Always stating the obvious and restating things that don't need to be restated.  I also don't think her reactions are very realistic or drawn very well and I don't like her voice.  She just doesn't fit in with the rest of the gang in my opinion.

They would've been better off adding Ali instead of Chomper and Ruby.  Though Chomper and Ali would have been acceptable too.  I still would've rather had just Ali join the gang that Ali and Chomper though.