The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wired or Wireless Mouse?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^Haha.  I'm still using the HP mouse and keyboard set I talked about nearly 4 years ago in this topic.  It's still going strong.  The mouse has a huge ugly worn spot on it, but it still works great.  This is on my master machine that usually gets 5+ hours per day of use.  I've recently started playing computer games like Oblivion and I'm having to click a lot.  I wonder how much longer this mouse and keyboard set will last?  One thing's for sure, it's the best mouse and keyboard set I've ever owned.  If anyone's interested in buying one, you can take a look at it here:

It doesn't look very good in the picture, but it looks great in person.  And it's lasted me about 5 years with no signs of dying yet.  In fact, I just purchased another one off eBay for only $24 including shipping.  Talk about a great deal!

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've had my wireless mouse and keyboard for about 2 years now, with no problems. I only vouched for wireless because I wanted to eliminate as many wires as I could in the back of my computer (they're very annoying when you have to constantly pull it out to work on it). I've had the same batteries in these things for practically as long as I've owned them :p

Also, it's funny that you mention the whole dpi and photoshop thing, because I bought a laser mouse and I did notice it was considerably easier to move the lasso tool smoothly in photoshop. In my school they have optical mice that seem cheap, and I have a hard time keeping the cursor perfectly steady when working in photoshop. My mouse is only 1000 dpi, which is fine for me, but I bet if I got a much higher dpi mouse, I would probably notice it being even easier to be accurate with the lasso, as well as other tools in photoshop.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Same black Dell mouse I've had some time...I won't buy wireless.  Too much interference with the stereo speakers plus I hate feeding them batteries.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow!  Today was the first time I had to change the batteries in my new wireless mouse.  That's 5 1/2 months on 2 AA batteries.  Considering how much I abused it, that's actually pretty good. :)

However, it was a little picky about starting again.  I had to turn the switch on and off a few times before it started working again.  Not too bad of a thing, but it was annoying.

Also, the reviews for this thing showed it would only last six weeks, but I've had it for much longer with no issues.  To be honest, I don't see what people are complaining about. :P:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm going to have to get a new mouse at some point. I'm experiencing a familiar problem with this mouse that I did before: a single mouse is sometimes registered as multiple clicks, making it hard for me to do some tasks. I can manage for now, but it is getting annoying.

I still have no interest in a wireless mouse, though this time it's because nearly all of my USB ports are taken and the only available ones are in the back. It's hard for me to get to them. I'm pretty sure wireless mice still require a USB port.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Yes, all wireless mice use a USB port.  Sadly, wired ones are looking like they'll take the same route soon.  However, if you are running out of usable USB ports, you can get a USB Hub for just a few bucks.  They take up one USB port, but give you 4 to 12 in return. (Depending on price and brand.)

Shop around online for a while and you'll be surprised at the great deals you can find for them. :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Wired all the way. I don't like having to change batteries.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah that can be annoying. With the wiimotes, before my brother bought rechargeable batteries (oh how I love those), we had to constantly buy batteries to play because they'd drain fast. I have a feeling the same will happen with the computer. I use the computer a lot so the batteries could drain fast.

Now if I can find rechargeable batteries like we have for the Wii, I might be a bit more interested in trying wireless. But if not, I'll stick with wired.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
No gamer should ever use wireless anything unless they want their character to just stop responding to your input, usually at the worst possible time.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Jul 2 2012 on  09:26 AM
No gamer should ever use wireless anything unless they want their character to just stop responding to your input, usually at the worst possible time.
Back in the beginning of wireless technology, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.  But nowadays if you just spend enough money for a decent one ($80-$150) and make sure to change the battery every few months, you're fine.  

Oh and Darkhououmon, there's probably no one on this forum that uses their computer more than I do on a daily basis and I can tell you my mouse lasts 6 months easy before having to replace the battery.  So long as you bought a decent brand (Logitech, Microsoft, etc.) you shouldn't have any problems.  Rechargeable batteries on the other hand aren't nearly as reliable and don't last as long either.  You'll probably only get 4 months out of them.  Even less depending on how many times you've recharged them.  Rechargeable batteries should be reserved for things you don't use for an extended period of time.  For example, a remote controlled car.  They can be used for other things, but are usually far inferior to their non-rechargeable counterparts once they've been charged a few dozen times.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't really have the option to dish out $80-$120. For a mouse, that's quite pricey. I usually don't spend more than $20 on a mouse and they generally last a while.

As for computer usage, I'm typically on the computer from when I wake up (about 9 AM, sometimes earlier) to when I got to bed (around 12-1 AM is about when I get off). I do get off once in a while but usually don't stay off more than 3 hours. So on average, I would say about 17 hrs a day on the computer.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, the mouse I had gave in and doesn't work anymore.  The pointer is just GONE!  Plugged in the one for my laptop and pointer works just fine, so it was the mouse.

Got a new one just last night.  A 5-button GearHead Black Wireless Mouse with a smooth scroll wheel.  It was on clearance for $8.00.  It is an improvement over the old one.  Especially with the wheel as the old one kept jerking the page up and down every time I used it.  The new one is really smooth.  I just love it! :)littlefoot

One interesting function I have found is that it has an interesting way on saving battery life.  If you leave it alone for say an hour, it automatically turns off and you have to toggle the switch off and on to make it work.  Something I'll definitely have to get used to with this baby.

We'll see how well this battery saving one works. :)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Wired.

No batteries to consume. That alone is what makes a wired mouse better than a wireless one.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wireless for me nowadays. A wired mouse just feels heavy and the cord can get stuck or get pulled down. At least with a wireless, you can move it around without feeling restrained so much. True there is the need to buy batteries, but you can get them for a buck at certain places that last quite a while. So that hardly diminishes any value with the wireless mice. I can go on for months without having to buy more batteries for this wireless mouse.

I've been using a wireless mouse for years now and I can't imagine going back to wired. I find that wired mice just feel clunkier than the wired ones. We use wired mice at school and they drive me crazy because the cord gets stuck or is looped around in a weird way that I can't change. It'd be nice if they used wireless instead.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
On my desk? Wired all the way....with a qualifier:

I picked up a USB extension cable which lets me route the mouse wire exactly how I want. This lets me keep it from getting pulled and removes the heaviness that comes with dragging a cable around with your mouse. I simply place the connection point on the desk with plenty of slack for the mouse so the cable other than the cable immediately near the mouse never moves. Best of both worlds. :)

For my living room PC that I can use from the couch? Wireless, definitely.  :lol I had a wired mouse down there and even USB extension cables didn't keep it and the keyboard from being unwieldy. Wireless has definitely made life better down there.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wired.  I appreciate the lack of need for batteries, and the improved response time.  I often had lags when I had a wireless mouse which could be problematic on some games where reaction time was critical.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I never really had lags with a wireless mouse, to be honest, unless it needed a new battery or it needed to be unplugged and replugged. Both cases are rare.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wireless for me. Cables annoy me :p I want to move my mouse where I would like to and not where th ecable sets the limits of movement range... Since I'm using rechargable batteries, that also isn't any issue at all.
Inactive, probably forever.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wired because wireless mouses use batteries and batteries are very expensive.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 29 2016 on  04:54 PM
Wired because wireless mouses use batteries and batteries are very expensive.
What do you mean 'very expensive'? The ones I buy are $1 and they come in packs of six. THey're low end batteries yes, meant for low drain. But a single one of these batteries lasts several months before I have to replace it with another one from the pack.