The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What age are they?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What age are the LBT gang.  They never seem to get any older but if they did, that would ruin the story.  They always seem to be the same age though.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Well they certainly aren't old enough to really care about the birds and the bees and the sycamore trees.....

I'd say about 8 -- the time where those kids are smart enough to start asking their parents about everything and anything.  That's my guess anyway.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How old were some other characters?  Like the adults?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I have one book of the first movie in which the author says that the time gap between Littlefoot's birth and his first talking in the movie would be five years. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It definitely isn't stated in the movie. However, if it was that long, that would make Spike considerably younger than the rest of the gang. Is it possible that the LBT dinosaurs develope really, really fast at the very begining of her live and then slow down distinctly?  :lol:
Apparently so. It's alright with me as I wouldn't want to see them grow up either. Many of the land before time adventures could happen within a few days or weeks. The exceptions are number 3 and number 5 in which the Great Valley needs to regrow, and number 8 throughout which winter has to pass. All the other movie could be cramped into a very few weeks indeed.
As for the parental characters I don't doubt that Littlefoot's grandparents must be older than all the others. I also believe that Cera's father may well be older than Ducky's and Petrie's mother. Cera's father is refered to as "Old Threehorn" by Pterano and we see Ducky's and Petrie's mother still guarding eggs unlike all the others.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What I was asking was how old do you think some of the adlts are.  I don't know why, really..

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are no certain indications on their precise age in years, so I could come up with guesses about who may be older or younger than the others.
As for the parental characters I don't doubt that Littlefoot's grandparents must be older than all the others. I also believe that Cera's father may well be older than Ducky's and Petrie's mother. Cera's father is refered to as "Old Threehorn" by Pterano and we see Ducky's and Petrie's mother still guarding eggs unlike all the others.
Littlefoot's grandparents are physically in quite a good shape (obvoiously for example when dealing with much younger sharpteeth) so I suppose they are not as old as longnecks could ever become. I think scientists found out that at least certain species of dinosaurs could grow well over a hundred years (I've that from the documentary "Walking with dinosaurs"). Mr. Thicknose seems to be the oldest of all from what they are saying.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
They never seem to get any older but if they did, that would ruin the story

I constantly fear that they will some day do that  :cry

But as far as the age goes...

I'd say around 7 or 8
[edit] nah maybe 9  :P:  not really sure [/edit]

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Probably about 8 or 9. Cera may be 9 or 10. Because according too number five she's the oldest.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I believe tbe kids could 7 or 8. Cera probably 9 because according too the beginning of number five she's the oldest.

Edit: Sorry about the double post.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think there is a whole year passing between Cera's and Littlefoot's or anybody else's hatching. We can't be sure, for the movies give very little information. The order in which the hatching is shown in the original movie suggests that Ducky is the oldest. If she wasn't it would mean that both Cera's and Littlefoot's hatching were shown as flashbacks. Obviously the makers of the sequels either didn't really care about the original or they just felt they had to alter it a bit by stating Cera was the oldest.
Come to think of it, even Petrie might be the oldest. He is the only one whom we never see hatching. Finally I find it somewhat questionable an idea to let the dinosaurs know as precisely about their hatchdays as LBT 5 suggest. Did they count the days from the day they cracked through the shell? That doesn't seem too likely. I expect they would know their age in years (passing of the cold time etc.) maybe they would even have a vague idea of something like months (by observing at which spot the bright circle is rising in the morning ). I consider it very unlikely though that they have a calender that goes down to the scala of days, even though LBT 5 is suggesting that (also through Cera's hatchday statement on the way to the island).

buba

• Ruby
    • View Profile

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Well, the Simpsons have been going on for what, 17-18 years? Bart and Lisa haven't aged a day and the show features current events too.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, the Simpsons have been going on for what, 17-18 years? Bart and Lisa haven't aged a day and the show features current events too.
The Simpsons even contains a number of jokes referring to this exact fact about the series.
For example:
Lisa: "I feel like I've been wearing this same red dress forever!"
The producers use and abuse this fact for the series, and have simply made it into one of the elements of the series.

LBT on the other hand refers to aging on a number of occasions
Cera: "It's just like waiting for your hatchday!  It never seems to get any closer." (LBT 5),
Cera: "I'm practically all grown-up!" (LBT 9)
or
Littlefoot: "I'm bigger now." (end of LBT 11)

My largest concern is the comment made at the end of LBT 11 ("I'm bigger now.")

I realize that the producers added this line in to conclude the film, but I"m a little concerned about what that shows about the developing of the characters.  They have obviously aged since the beginning of LBT 11, but knowing the producers, I suspect this fact will be completely forgotten for future films.:p

I realize that "The Simpsons" also refers to birthday parties and other aging elements, but I'm talking mainly of LBT here, not The Simpsons.

If I had to guess the ages of the LBT characers (in human terms), Here's what I'm going with:

LBT 2: 7-8 yrs old
LBT 5 and later: 8 yrs old (slightly older than LBT 2 - 4)
end of LBT 11: 9 yrs old

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm surprised they even can measure their lives in years.  :lol:

They've certainly grown psychologically since birth, and even physically (Littlefoot and Cera certainly are bigger in size) but they certainly don't look any older.  :p

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Is a cartoon designed to entertain children(now it is) really suppose to make sence?  I measure each cartoon as 1 year excluding the first film.

LBT--0-2 yrs old
LBT II--2
LBT III--3
LBT IV--4
LBT V--5
LBT VI--7
LBT VII--8
LBT VIII--9
LBT IX--11
LBT X--12
LBT XI--13

LBT XII--14(Littlefoot is going to start hitting on the ladies, lol!)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think that such a constancy in the time for the sequels is very likely. If we can compare human ages to that of dinosaurs (we can't from a scientific point of view as that would mean for Littlefoot to grow by at least two kilogramm per day) I expect they would have to be older in the original movie. Five to six years at least, otherwise I suppose they would be Dinah and Dana characters. quite a while must have passed after LBT 3 for the Great Valley to regrow (actually I reckon that would take a decade at least, but things seem to grow miraculously fast in the Great Valley ;)). After LBT 5 I suppose at least a good part of a year would have to pass for the leaves to regrow. While one seasons passing is due for LBT 8. All the other sequels could be crammed into a few weeks or months of time. They don't have any time jumps and could easily occur in direct sequence.