The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How well do you know your music?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Taken from jwfan.com forums:

How many tracks of my own collection would I actually recognise in a random playlist taken from anything I have? And then I thought: Why not turn it into another guessing game for the board?

The rules:

1) You must have your entire collection (or at least most of it) on your computer/music player.
2) You must use a player which allows you to create a random playlist from everything in your collection.
3) You must try to guess, as close as possible, every track that plays, without looking at the playlist. It doesn't matter *when* you figure it out, just do it before you look at the playlist or it doesn't count. Try to guess composer/artist/score/work/title/scene/song name/whatever.
4) If you, like me, have stuff in your collection which you have never listened to, or gotten from a friend and only played once or twice without ever actually thinking of it as "owning it", and you don't recognise it, you may discard that track and pick another random track instead.
5) Something recognised more or less in full is worth three points. Just recognising the composer & work without the specific part of the work, or song without album, is worth two points. Recognising just the composer/artist: One point.

When done, post your result here.

Side note-this probably would work with any song.  Know the performer, the title, and the album.  See what you can do. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
My First Attempt: (and I ignored the fact I wasn't specific with my tagging on some broadway cast albums and I really knew the song)

1.) Original Cast - "Someday My Prince Will Come" from Disney's On The Record - 3

2.) Joe Hisaishi - "The Tatara Women Work Song" from Princess Mononoke - 3

3.) Joan Jett - "Bad Reputation" from Shrek - 3

4.) Original Cast Recording - "Cookies" from A Year With Frog and Toad - 3

5.) Joe Hisaishi - "Yubaba's Panic" from Spirited Away - 3

6.) Oliver Wallace - some track from Dumbo, there's a lot of calypso and band music on it :p (was actually "The Pyramid of Pachyderms") - 2

7.) Hans Zimmer - "Hoist the Colours" from Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End - 3

8.) Original Broadway Cast - "This is Our Story" from Shrek the Musical - 3

9.) Jerry Goldsmith - "No Thanks" from the Secret of NIMH - 3

10.) John Powell - some track from Chicken Run, I'll guess "Take Off" or that track near the end :p (it was "Chickens are Revolting") - 2

28/30 or 93% correct but that was a pretty easy time.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Round 2 because its kinda fun. :D

1.) Definitely John Williams - something from Indiana Jones, can't nail the track though (it was "Flight From Peru") - 2

2.) John Barry - its the darn searching mysterious music from Raise the Titanic but its repeated in many tracks!  Arrrghhh. :bang (it was "Deep Quest & Flood") - 2

3.) Alan Menken - "Farewell" from Pocahontas - 3

4.) Johnny Clegg - "Life is a Magic Thing" from Ferngully - 3

5.) Joe Hisaishi - something from Nausicaa's original soundtrack recording because its heavily synthesized but I hardly listen to this (ouch!!!  Missed that one entirely.  Yuji Nomi - "Densha Ni Yuraete" from Whisper of the Heart) - 0

6.) The Pointer Sisters - "Hot Together" from Spaceballs - 3

7.) Miyazaki Shinji - its a Pokemon score track....I'm guessing its "Collapse of the Temple" from the 9th film (composer correct, but wrong film and track, its "Jirarudan's Theme" from the 2nd film) - 1

8.) Rupert Gregson-Williams - "The Family Awakes" from Over the Hedge - 3

9.) Original Broadway Cast - "Kiss the Girl" from the Little Mermaid on Broadway - 3

10.) no clue on the composer but I got someone's sound effects track from Super Smash Brothers Melee :lol :lol  Missed the cheering section otherwise I would've known the character track at least.  (it was the sound effects for "Falco") - 1

21/30 or 70%  Much more realistic once I get to those tracks I don't listen to much! ;)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Whoa...very interesting! xD Kind of hard though....lol I had to really not look at the songs on my computer...:p

1. And he Shall Smite the Wicked-Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney Soundtrack

2. Lesson 4 Speaking-Rosetta stone

3. Heartbreak Tipi-Brule

4. Feels like Tonight-Chris Daughtry

5. Stupid Girls-P!nk-I'm not Dead!

6. Hakuna Matta-Lion King Soundtrack

7. Dark Shadows Theme

8. Take Me as I Am-Mary J Blige-The Breakthrough

9. Love Will Find a Way-Credits version

10. Northbound-Winged Migration

11. Alone-Mary J Blige-The Breakthrough

12. She Loves You-Lion King II: Return to Pride Rock soundtrack

Oh... just one wrong, which was # 1 on this list... :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Going to try this game again. :)  Ran into the game on jwfan.com while browsing the forums, and decided to give it another shot.  I'm only putting in my movie soundtrack/score folder...there's a lot there.

1.) Michael Tavera - "Don't Have to Be Alone reprise underscore" from the LBT 9 promo score - 3

2.) Danny Elfman - "Victor's Piano Solo" from Corpse Bride - 3

3.) Smash Mouth - "All Star" from Shrek - 3

4.) Original Broadway Cast - "Endless Night" from Lion King - 3

5.) John Williams - "My Friend the Brachiosaurus" from Jurassic Park - 3

6.) totally clueless - 0  (it was "Meditation from Thais" by Joshua Bell on the Ladies in Lavender soundtrack)

7.) don't know the artist - "Want to Be Loved by You" from Spaceballs - 2  (artist was Ladyfire)

8.) sounds like a John Barry piece - 0  (epic fail; it was "Cry" by Ofra Haza on the Price of Egypt soundtrack) :slap

9.) Joe Hisaishi - "Adagio" from Princess Mononoke - 2 (technically was 'Adagio of Life and Death')

10.) Original Movie Cast - "We Got Annie" from Annie soundtrack - 3

22/30 = 73%

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
And again:

1.) never heard this before - 0  (it was "Cycle" by Yoko Kanno from Wolf's Rain OST 2 - definitely one I don't listen to)

2.) Mary Martin - "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music - 3

3.) Original Broadway Cast - "Morning Hymn and Alleluia" from the Sound of Music - 2 (officially called 'Preludium' on the broadway album, I gave the movie soundtrack title)

4.) Oh man, I recognize the music, but can't remember where its from!!!! - 0  (it was "There is a Better Place" by Harry Gregson-Williams from the Antz soundtrack)

5.) John Williams - "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" from Jurassic Park - 3

6.) Paul Williams - "Flying Dreams" from the Secret of NIMH - 3

7.) John Williams - "Incident at Isla Nublar" from Jurassic Park - 3

8.) sounds like something that would be in Ratatouille by Michael Giacchino - 2  (I was correct on composer and album, didn't get the cue - 'Losing Control' from the Cast and Crew Promotional Album)

9.) Hans Zimmer - "I Don't Think Now is the Right Time" from Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End - 1  (it was "Wheel of Fortune" from Dead Man's Chest)

10.) Andrew Lloyd Webber - "Overture" from the Phantom of the Opera - 3

20/30 = 67%