The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Gang's Ages

Petrie. · 95 · 9340

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
What I meant was, what do you think their ages are? Let's not get too off-topic  :yes

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
We were trying to get some size comparisons to help with the age dilemma that is equally hopeless. It could really be anything. Like I said, all we can do is a comparison of one movie to the next one to get at least a rough estimate.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
We can determin their age by their size. <_<

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Not entirely, but it certainly helps. Unless they're all doomed to be midgets, they should be growing untill they get somewhere around the size of their parents.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, if that's the case, I'd say Littlefoot is around 9 or so.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'd say about 6 or less for all of them. Yes, that may seem low, but they're probably quite young even at this point.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What are you basing these ages on?  Do you even know how long these dinosaurs live?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think we're winging it based off of several unexplainable-in-words factors. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If we're not going for physical age, I'd say that Littlefoot acts like he's 14 based on a 100 year life-span.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
That seems a bit high, but what do we know? It could really be anything. There's so many x, y, and z factors that could change all of this. Most of all, however, is that I'm sure the majority of us have probably never seen a real dinosaur (massive understatement notwithstanding).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
One of the land before time books I have claims the time span between Littlefoot's hatching and the next scene in the land before time (when he asks his mother if there isn't anything more to eat) to be five years. I suppose this was just a guess of the author though. It is very difficult to estimate the age of the characters. On the one hand we get glimpses at some characters (Dinah, Dana, Tricia, Tippy) which strongly suggest that they all went through a period of "hatchlinghood". We never saw this period for Spike though who didn't live through whatever time may have elapsed between Littlefoot's hatching and his first talking in the original movie. Spike's size tripled (or more) in the first moments after he hatched. Perhaps his inability to talk was the only real indication for his being much younger than the others in the original movie and perhaps that inability to talk was not originally meant to be an indication for anything but his younger age. Anyway.
Most of the land before time movies action could be squeezed in a time span of just a few days. Exceptions are LBT 3 (realistically it would take several years at least for the Great Valley to regrow to its original splendor after the fire), LBT 5 (it would not take as long for the Valley to regrow without being burned down, but still it would take a while, and LBT 8 (passing of one cold time).
I strongly suppose Littlefoot and the others to be still rather young (ten years perhaps). Even Hyp, and his palls who are probably supposed to be teenagers come accross as rather young teenagers. There are cases when Littlefoot and the others show signs of thinking very much in child terms (maybe the Thundering Falls are tired and need to rest) though perhaps some of their thinking may be dinosaur thinking rather than child thinking (I suppose the grownup dinosaurs too might have a hard time trying to figure out the origin of an echo).

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 20 2007 on  03:33 AM
I strongly suppose Littlefoot and the others to be still rather young (ten years perhaps).
I was kinda guessing 10 or 9 or so as well. Maybe around 8.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 20 2007 on  03:33 AM
One of the land before time books I have claims the time span between Littlefoot's hatching and the next scene in the land before time (when he asks his mother if there isn't anything more to eat) to be five years. I suppose this was just a guess of the author though. It is very difficult to estimate the age of the characters. On the one hand we get glimpses at some characters (Dinah, Dana, Tricia, Tippy) which strongly suggest that they all went through a period of "hatchlinghood". We never saw this period for Spike though who didn't live through whatever time may have elapsed between Littlefoot's hatching and his first talking in the original movie. Spike's size tripled (or more) in the first moments after he hatched. Perhaps his inability to talk was the only real indication for his being much younger than the others in the original movie and perhaps that inability to talk was not originally meant to be an indication for anything but his younger age. Anyway.
Most of the land before time movies action could be squeezed in a time span of just a few days. Exceptions are LBT 3 (realistically it would take several years at least for the Great Valley to regrow to its original splendor after the fire), LBT 5 (it would not take as long for the Valley to regrow without being burned down, but still it would take a while, and LBT 8 (passing of one cold time).
I strongly suppose Littlefoot and the others to be still rather young (ten years perhaps). Even Hyp, and his palls who are probably supposed to be teenagers come accross as rather young teenagers. There are cases when Littlefoot and the others show signs of thinking very much in child terms (maybe the Thundering Falls are tired and need to rest) though perhaps some of their thinking may be dinosaur thinking rather than child thinking (I suppose the grownup dinosaurs too might have a hard time trying to figure out the origin of an echo).
Some series count novelizations (or is what you were referring to not a novel, but just a reference book?) as canon, whiles others don't. I'm fairly certain the Star Wars novelizations are counted to be canon, while the Star Trek ones aren't. The 5 years figure may be well accurate, but if it was written by a 3rd party (and especially without Don Bluth's approval), then it may not be accurate. If what you're referring to is not a novel of some sort, then what I've said probably won't mean as much.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Even Hyp, and his palls who are probably supposed to be teenagers come accross as rather young teenagers.

I'm guessing they're around 12-14 or so, but that's just a guess.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose one could call the book I'm referring to a novel. Nevertheless I'm almost certain that it was written on no other basis than the movie itself and the creative liberty of the author. I consider it EXTREMELY unlikely that the five years figure, however fitting the estimate may be, is anything more than that, an estimate of the author based on what she saw in the movie.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I don¥t really know how old they are, because... lood at movie eleven. In this movie passes 2 years.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nimrod,Aug 27 2007 on  12:25 AM
I don¥t really know how old they are, because... lood at movie eleven. In this movie passes 2 years.
Huh? Where did you get that from?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose Nimrod is refering to the fact that the time passes which is necessary for the tree to regrow treesweets.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 27 2007 on  09:44 AM
I suppose Nimrod is refering to the fact that the time passes which is necessary for the tree to regrow treesweets.
yes, that¥s what I mean. I don¥t think that this happens in a half year^^

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
But how did he get the figure of 2 years specifically?