The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Polymer Clay Sculptures

Mumbling · 102 · 14836

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nicely done sculpture.  I like the glow in the dark parts.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This autumn Necklace I made for myself :) I'll have to get used to wearing a necklace again :D Hopefully this one will change with the seasons :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Oh, cool! :wow That's a beautiful leaf! I love the color, and the fact that it's not perfectly symmetrical gives it a look more like that of a dried autumn leaf (though perhaps that wasn't intentional :p). And the detail of the veins on the leaf is spectacular! :yes Is that a real stone in the center, and if yes, do you know what kind it is?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It wasn't intentional indeed, but I do like it better as well :D

The stone is actually a pebble from the card game called Magic the gathering, which my brothers play. I just stole one :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is a very nice looking sculpture.  Interesting to do one for each season.  Think you may do holiday themed ones also eventually?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What are you thinking of for the other seasons? It would be neat if you made a tree star necklace for spring or summer. :smile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not sure yet, actually! I was thinking of a treestar too :D

Maybe something like this for winter.

Anyway... Today I made two things.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Incidentally, I was thinking a snowflake would be good for winter as well. :! Maybe you could have a flower for spring and the tree star for summer. :idea

Hmm…an anthropomorphized Christmas present and…I don’t know what the other one is :confused (Another Neopet?). I’m really impressed by the ribbons on the present. Are these models really delicate once they’re finished?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting design for winter, and cute sculptures you did.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Sep 10 2010 on  09:45 PM
Incidentally, I was thinking a snowflake would be good for winter as well. :! Maybe you could have a flower for spring and the tree star for summer. :idea

Hmm…an anthropomorphized Christmas present and…I don’t know what the other one is :confused (Another Neopet?). I’m really impressed by the ribbons on the present. Are these models really delicate once they’re finished?
They are both some kind of neopet, can't really explain :p They are from the same kind, painted different 'colors' (blue & christmas).

The clay that I work with stays a tiny bit bendable even if you have baked it, though if you throw it on the floor, parts that were pressed on there might fall of. In case of big things connected on small parts, they might break off earlier. In any case, the sculptures are all really strong and would only break if you'd let them drop or throw them on the floor (and even then, they wouldn't shatter to pieces but just lose for example: a wing), and you can fix them with hard plastic glue :D

Thanks Kor! :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Jerry! :D It's a mascot of thedailyneopets.com (a site I work for/with), and my boss there requested me to make it :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 11 2010 on  12:23 AM
They are from the same kind, painted different 'colors' (blue & christmas).
Wait…so these figures are painted? :blink: (Or am I somehow taking you too literally?) I thought that was just the color of the clay.

The clay that I work with stays a tiny bit bendable even if you have baked it, though if you throw it on the floor, parts that were pressed on there might fall of. In case of big things connected on small parts, they might break off earlier. In any case, the sculptures are all really strong and would only break if you'd let them drop or throw them on the floor (and even then, they wouldn't shatter to pieces but just lose for example: a wing), and you can fix them with hard plastic glue :D
Wow! That's some good-quality clay! :wow Can you tell me the brand? If I ever make any clay models, I'd like to use that kind.

Hmm…The new figure looks kinda like a parakeet crossed with a Charmander, wearing a wizard's robe and a witch's hat/romanticized-Viking helmet :p (and…are those ear flaps on the hat?). It looks good! :smile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Sep 12 2010 on  09:04 PM
They are from the same kind, painted different 'colors' (blue & christmas).
Wait…so these figures are painted? :blink: (Or am I somehow taking you too literally?) I thought that was just the color of the clay.

Wow! That's some good-quality clay! :wow Can you tell me the brand? If I ever make any clay models, I'd like to use that kind.

Hmm…The new figure looks kinda like a parakeet crossed with a Charmander, wearing a wizard's robe and a witch's hat/romanticized-Viking helmet :p (and…are those ear flaps on the hat?). It looks good! :smile
Yeah you are taking me too literally there. I was actually just explaining the concept of neopets. You can paint pets in different colors, but they will look entirely different (like the two above). The clay I use is indeed not painted :)

The brand I mainly use is Sculpey III. Other brans I've tried are Fimo and Premo, but you should really find something that suits you :) For me, Fimo is too soft to work with. I prefer Sculpey because it mushes up less fast, but of course it's also harder to kneed.

The hat is actually an item called 'Kauvara's Hat'. It's a hat from a magician, which is a cow... That's why the horns and the ear flaps are there, lol :D

Also , the dots light up in the dark. Forgot to mention that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice sculpture.  Did it take you long to do?  I like the idea of some bits being glow in the dark.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 12 2010 on  02:10 PM
Yeah you are taking me too literally there. I was actually just explaining the concept of neopets. You can paint pets in different colors, but they will look entirely different (like the two above). The clay I use is indeed not painted :)
Well, as I think I've said before, I know nothing about Neopets (other than what you've shown and told me in this thread). :p

The brand I mainly use is Sculpey III. Other brans I've tried are Fimo and Premo, but you should really find something that suits you :) For me, Fimo is too soft to work with. I prefer Sculpey because it mushes up less fast, but of course it's also harder to kneed.
Thanks! :) Now, do you bake figures made with this kind of clay or do they just harden by themselves?

Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 12 2010 on  02:10 PM
Also , the dots light up in the dark. Forgot to mention that.
Ooh. That reminds me, how did you take the photo of the manticore figure glowing in the dark? Did you just turn the flash on the camera off?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You bake them at 270 F (130C) for like 20 minutes. This can be done in any home oven, so that's a real nice feature of this clay.

I took the picture of the manticore indeed by closing my curtains, turn of the flash and make sure the glow in the dark pieces are charged well... and keeping my hands still so that they won't move :D :p

Thanks Kor! :) It took about an hour, with the clothes, and about 30 minutes without them.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

A Little house :)

I also made the ladybugs which I pasted on this box. It's a match box which I decorated and in which I keep glass stones to be used for modelling sometime :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very nice looking, you've got a lot of skill.  Hope you continue, good luck.