The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tabletop Roleplaying games

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Just got back from an epic weekend at Strategicon, and I was wondering who among us play tabletop RPGs (like Dungeons & Dragons), and what are your favorite systems?

For ongoing campaigns, my favorite system is the science fiction Traveller, which has a really cool character creation process that's built around backstory, and works for grounded "planet-side" campaigns, and space faring Star Trek-style ones.

For one-off sessions, I love Psi Run, a story-oriented system where the players assume the roles of psychic amnesiacs on the run from authorities, though they don't know why. The system is very simple, and is designed so that the players get to come up with almost all the story aspects together, creating amazingly unique stories that no GM could come up with on his own.
Unfortunately, as of this writing, it's not widely available, so you need to either know the right people or, like me, play it at a convention and have a good memory.

What systems have you guys played and enjoyed?

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I <3 d&d, but i haven't played it in about a year

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've played a number of systems.  Currently in a d & d 3.5 campaign.  played some 4th edition.  I've played a lot of gurps 3th edition, and at a rpg con a bit of Victoriana and savage worlds, and others.  In the past I've played some talislanta, 2nd edition d & d, and a few others.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have never played this type of rp before..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I would be playing it if only I ever managed to round up a sufficient number of people who are interested and can agree on a time to play it.
I got some stuff for a tabletop game that is popular here in Germany. It is called "Das schwarze Auge" (litterally that would translate to "the black eye" but since in German that does not carry the meaning of an eye that has been punched (they are blue according to German language) it is better translated as "the dark eye"). It is a fantasy RPG probably similar to D&D (can't tell for certain having never played D&D myself).
Like I said it is almost impossible to get enough people together who have the time to play it at the same time and (even more difficult) to meet on a regular basis to continue the game.
I once played an adventure with two cousins of mine and it was really great fun. It was so awesome to think of the adventures act for the characters and creating a fitting atmosphere (for which I used lots of RPG suited background music and sounds of nature depending on where they were and what happened).
However, in the long run two players and the director were too few and since neither of them thought it possible to ask any of their friends to play along (there is apparently some kind of "stigma" about it :rolleyes the fun ultimately came to an end :cry

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
I've always wanted to, but could never find anybody who played as well who I knew. There was a friend of the family and her husband, who played all sorts: Call of Cthulhu, Munchkin, etc.
Just a darndest shame that she now lives in Australia.

But me and a friend of mine did have this silly little game we'd play, and all we needed was an Ordnance Survey map. Then we'd pretend to be military commanders planning an operation on the map. Silly, and with no plot, but good fun.
With the same friend, I would do this thing called the "Zombie Plan", in which we would plan exactly what we would do if/when there is a zombie epidemic. We'd work out where we'd get supplies, where we'd go, how we'd manage supplies and survivors, etc.

Good fun and no plot. That's my kind of game.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
For anyone into D&D, I just finished a comprehensive guide on the Druid class :D 15 articles on everything from shapeshifting to spellcasting to animal familiars. Give it a look if it sounds interesting!