The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Protection Options

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey guys!  Listen up!  I just spent yesterday completely reformatting my computer, (Very serious problem that I don't wish to discuss at this moment.) and am now busy getting some protection software.

I've already got Malwarebytes' and Spybot S&D, but I know from experience that more is needed.  I've also made the option to drop AVG.  Let's just say that the 2011 version wasn't my cup of tea in the end.

So, recommendations?

All help is greatly appreciated.

See ya later!

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I always use Avira now, it has excellent real-time protection, and it's free.

http://www.avira.com/en/for-home

Since using this, I have never had so much as a piece of spyware ever slip through.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Avast I heard was pretty good. There's also Comodo Internet Security, which is also free.

Threatfire offers an extra layer of protection and works alongside antivirus. I've used it in the past and liked it.

There are also HIPS programs like GesWall (64-bit version of that is not available though) that protect the computer from unwanted changes. There is a 64-bit version of a sandbox program called Sandboxie, where anything you download goes safely in a sandbox and can be safely removed (I'm sure there's a way to save it too if you downloaded something you wanted to keep).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
From the recommendations, I have chosen to give Avira and Threatfire a chance.  We'll see how they work out for me.

Now to get busy setting up the rest of the stuff.