The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why can't I sell my old computer?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As you guys know, a few months ago, I got a new clear case computer and was thinking of selling all the parts of the old black case one on-line.

For some reason though, I can't bring myself to put even one of it's parts on eBay or other sites.  It's like a part of me doesn't want to get rid of it.

I guess it's kind of a sentimental thing.  It was the very first computer I ever got that was my very own.  It wasn't a hand-me-down or anything like that.  It was the first computer I bought with my own money and I made sure that thing stayed alive for some time.  I upgraded it and treated it well.

I only got a new one because the motherboard died on me.  If I could figure out how to fix it, I could make it run again. (I'm thinking it's the tiny battery, but I can't be sure here.)

Still, why can't I sell the old thing?  Why can't I let go of it?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
If you don't think you can sell your older computer, why not put a new use to it? You could put on Linux so it runs like new again. Or, if you don't want Linux, have no use for it, you could turn it into a gaming console. I heard that's possible, though I never tried it myself.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If you want to fix your old one, it would cost about $40 to replace the motherboard.  Don't go with the original one that came with the computer.  Get a new MSI that has the same form factor as your current case and same socket type as your current processor.  It's easy as pie to swap everything out.  There's no reason to sell a perfectly usable computer.

Now as for keeping your first computer, you should.  I still have mine (an old Intel Pentium 150Mhz with 8MB of RAM).  But keepsakes come later.  The computer is still perfectly usable and repairing it is cheap.  You should still be using it today.  But even if you didn't want to keep using it, you should still keep it.  It's nice to be able to look back at your first computer, trust me.  You'll laugh at how you actually used that old piece of crap.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
My old Dell from 2002 is used by my aunt.  Its been upgraded multiple times of course, but still works.  No reason to dump computers that still can run XP and do what the user needs.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Sentimental value, pure and simple. Have you owned this computer a very long time. I still own my old computer, though it doesn't work, but it was the very first one that was mine. Good times with that thing.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf