The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bonus features

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I really expected more from Universal. The bonus features on DVD's are completely directed to young kids (I know we were supposed to expect something like this), but they're just games and too easy, even my neighbours cat to do them...
They could have put something like a making of, interviews with cast, directors ideas, but no, just some stupid games, oh well, the only thing that matters is the movie itself so... Before DVD's we bought VHS for the same price and only got the movie, at least in DVD's we can chose the language (try italian it's so cuteee :D)
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was a bit disappointed with the special features on the LBT DVDs as well. The sequels didn't surprise me much, but I was genuinely hoping that the original LBT would have had some special features on it. :(

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Sep 16 2006 on  12:34 PM
I was a bit disappointed with the special features on the LBT DVDs as well. The sequels didn't surprise me much, but I was genuinely hoping that the original LBT would have had some special features on it. :(
Me too. I was disappointed as well, but I think there's going to be a DVD with 20 minutes of cut footage...but I can't be sure. I wish there was a two-disk edition like Disney's Dinosaur and all the other thousands of movies that had a Collector's Edition. I'd pretty much want this:
Concept sketches/paintings
Interviews (especially with questions like 'who's your favorite villain and why')
Deleted scenes
Commentaries
The "Making Of..." (how the idea started, the process of creating a story, how the roars of the dinosaurs were made and what made them, etc.)
Clips of alternate versions (things that never made it into the final version, because every movie has alternate endings and beginnings)
A tribute to Judith Barsi
Multiple language tracks (not just French)
Character profiles (in-depth, not just two sentences and a picture)
Storyboards.

List will grow as I think of more things. Oh. And it would be great if there was a novel. A darker, more in-depth novel with new illustrations and a book about the LBT mythologies (the Lone Dinosaur, the Stone of Cold Fire, etc.) - I've always been interested in those.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
when in the offices of LBT there was talks when I was in LA about new marketing plans to get things rolling so by chance the next LBT first movie will have the cut out sences on it. that only a rough idea of what I know. it could be a possiblity.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Threehorn that would be just awesome :D
I completely agree with you Riatsu, they should also put some of those in the sequels as well. Just one thing... Multiple language tracks?! Mine have Portuguese (brazilian), English, Italian and Castillano (spanish from the region of Castilla), no French by the way, and I thank them for that :D

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Sep 16 2006 on  05:48 PM
Threehorn that would be just awesome :D
I completely agree with you Riatsu, they should also put some of those in the sequels as well. Just one thing... Multiple language tracks?! Mine have Portuguese (brazilian), English, Italian and Castillano (spanish from the region of Castilla), no French by the way, and I thank them for that :D
O_O Lucky! All I got was French! I always loving hearing what characters sound like in different languages, and it's even more interesting if the lines are changed. Oh I would kill to hear what LBT and the 7th movie sound like in Portuguese! I've always loved that language...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
no French by the way, and I thank them for that
You got anything against French new order?
Most of the DvDs I have include the tracks in German, English, French, and Dutch. Australian copies of the original movie and the 11th sequel include the English, Norwegian, Swedish, and Russian track.
From what Anndie (McAffee) mentioned in a mail from March 2006
Charlie said we record about 8 more minutes of dialogue (per movie) than they actually use. They extra scenes are kept in storage and he has been trying to convince Universal to put them onto a future DVD but so far they have no plans to do so.
I sure hope Universals decided to put the scenes in after all. At all events it is good to know that Charles Grosvenor supports the idea of releasing such scenes.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
You got anything against French new order?

Not really, I just like to joke about it, they beat us in the world cup so they're not at the top of my favourite countries for the meanwhile :D

Hmm.. since CG supports the idea of adding the extras maybe they'll do it eventually... I guess depending on the country they release the DVD's in, they put languages of nearby countries so the comercialization can be easier.

Another thing, Malte, in your DVD's in german are the lines the same as in VHS? Cause mine aren't, most of the lines and even the songs are different =x

Last night I was thinking that there are 11 lbt movies, and almost certainly there'll be two more and a tv series. When will lbt end? Don't you think this "saga" (if we can call it that) is dangerously hanging on the edge of a cliff, being that cliff the ridiculous prolongation of a life that's already given all it could? I love lbt and I'd love it if they never ended with it, as long as they kept making high quality movies, and apparently that's not happening. I hope that when they finally decide to end it they end it with class, with a great movie of the same quality of the original one.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Last night I was thinking that there are 11 lbt movies, and almost certainly there'll be two more and a tv series. When will lbt end? Don't you think this "saga" (if we can call it that) is dangerously hanging on the edge of a cliff, being that cliff the ridiculous prolongation of a life that's already given all it could? I love lbt and I'd love it if they never ended with it, as long as they kept making high quality movies, and apparently that's not happening. I hope that when they finally decide to end it they end it with class, with a great movie of the same quality of the original one.

Agree with you there. I hope that if they do end the series one day they'll create the movie in the style of Don Bluth's, and his movies were great, save a few titles which weren't that great. The sequels are okay, but not great. I agree, go out in style as I always say.  B)  

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think that LBT is on that edge so long people care to make it good. There are many more good stories left to be told. People just need to use some imagination and there is easy stuff for quite a few stories which are neither mere repetitions nor violate the setting of the land before time.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yup, I agree with Malte, we're still waiting to find out what's the other story when the gang find Ali again, whatever happened to Chomper, and all the other characters that showed up in previous sequels.

Another thing, Malte, in your DVD's in german are the lines the same as in VHS? Cause mine aren't, most of the lines and even the songs are different =x

Could you answer this one? It's kind of important =p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry, I forgot about the question.
The lines on the German videos and DvDs are identical. There is only one exception I spotted. On the German video of LBT 6 there is a scene cut which can be found on the English version. After the sharptooth hurls the hollow trunk with the kids inside over the ravine there is a short scen in which you only see the trunk and hear the kids inside debating on where they are and whether they are in the sharptooth's tummy. On the German video that scene is cut and the first thing you see after sharptooth hurled the log is Petrie climbing out of it announcing that they are not in the sharptooth's tummy.
On the German DvD (which includes the English version), the scene is not cut, but there are no words. There are just several seconds of silence in which you just see the log.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Ah... I don't know why the brazillian team decided to change everything for the DVD's... if it was the same I wouldn't complain but there are too many changes and some of the songs lost a great deal of their quality \:

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You'd think these people would add any "good" extra features to DVDs, but noooo. I agree that there should be deleted scenes, behind the scenes. That's what makes DVD's good, that they include special behind the scenes extras.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
It's true that most of the LBT DVDs don't tend to offer much in the way of bonus features but the majority of kids/family genre movies (especially animation) only tend to throw in the odd extra (sing-a-longs or a game or two). Somehow I don't think kids of the LBT's target range are particularly interested in the concept of what material COULD have made it. For us, we'd love to see additional stuff like that but from a business perspective, if something is going to go unnoticed or receive little acknowledgement, then it's effectively an unnecessary cost that will just eat into GE (Gross Earnings).

I know there are a few exceptions were concept material and delete footage is available for view but, from what I've seen, they only tend to be on big time movie releases that hit the cinemas...not just direct-to-video releases. I know Disney tend to do this quite a bit with their feature film releases that hit the Silver Screen before coming to home video.

Having said that, it would be nice to some bonus footage and special extras on a LBT DVD. Maybe a "making of" documentary or interviews with the cast and creators. Somehow, I don't think we're gonna be seeing a Don Bluth styled LBT again since the name was past on since the initial release of the first one.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Looks like enough has been said about this topic, it's time to let the guys at Universal work something out =p
Check something dough... The brazillian team only re-done lbt 2,3 and 4 (possibly 1 as well but I haven't watched it) 5,6 and 7 (the others I never watched on VHS) are normal.They probably lost the original tracks for the earlier one's or they were to ruinned for them to work with.. haven't got a clue -_-