The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Nintendo sales falling

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I was on Yahoo earlier today and found an article talking about well-known companies with employees losing hope in them. And one of them is Nintendo. Seems Nintendo has started to fall a bit. Here's what they had to say about it:

6. Nintendo's once nearly insurmountable lead in the video console sector has been lost, and its sales have fallen further and further behind rivals Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT - News) and Sony (NYSE: SNE - News). The rise of the Google (NASDAQ: GOOG - News) Android operating system has also encouraged video game publishers to make more products that run on that platform. The 2010 market share of Nintendo DS fell from 70% in 2009 to 57%. Nintendo's growth has also been damaged by the rise of the iPad and iPhone. The future is even grimmer. "iSuppli predicts Nintendo will sell 70 million 3DS gaming systems by 2015, a figure that is 21 million less than the 91 million in sales racked up by the original DS at the same point in its sales cycle," according to the Unofficial Apple Weblog. Nintendo announced an unexpected quarterly loss on July 28, and its shares plunged 20%. The stock is down from a 52-week high of 26,780 yen to 11,850 yen. In late 2007, shares reached 80,000 yen.

Not a lot, but I found it interesting, and a little surprising (considering Nintendo's success in the past). Whether or not things will continue going downhill for Nintendo, I can't say for certain. We'll just have to wait and see.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, I think every company has their highs and low points. Even Nintendo isn't immune to this.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, true. I wasn't trying to imply that Nintendo was "going under". I just thought it was an interesting read, as I'm used to Nintendo being in the lead. The fact their sales are starting to fall behind Microsoft and Sony surprised me.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting.  Sounds like they may have to rethink some stuff, strategy, marketing and other stuff too.  Thought the good point of having so many competitors is folks have more options today it would seem.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Though yet to be released, the only Nintendo console games I'm really looking forward to ATM is Mario Kart 7 and Kingdom Hearts 3d.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Piracy could also be blamed. People who use R4 flash carts can download roms to the card and play games on the system without having to pay for them.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, Niuntendo is a company that's been around for over 100 years, so I think they'll make it through this one. They made it through the Gamecube era afterall, where they're sales were pretty low.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah a lot of people have been stealing stuff so Nintendo's sales have dropped. And I hope they drop there prices. If they did that there sales will not drop Nintendo is greedy when it comes to raising there prices.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Sep 19 2011 on  06:09 PM
Well, Niuntendo is a company that's been around for over 100 years, so I think they'll make it through this one. They made it through the Gamecube era afterall, where they're sales were pretty low.
I agree

I've pointed out some problems that could hurt the Vita's sales.
problems that could hurt the Vita's sales.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I doubt piracy would have a noticeable hit on Nintendo's sales. How about instead of blaming things directly we can just admit that they took a fall in some way or another. Whether it be the 3DS or lack of games lately period. I don't know too much about this though since I don't purchase Nintendo products anymore.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Also let's not forget that there have been some big name games that have come out recently such as Gears of War 3 and Dead Island. Most people are probably turning their attention to those and not really concerning with Nintendo. I have faith that Nintendo will garner more sales in the future.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If nintendo has been in the video game business for as long as they have it's unlikely they'll go poof anytime soon.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm not saying they are going to disappear anytime soon. It would take a lot before that would happen. But I'm not going to say that Nintendo is invincible. Ultimately, no company is.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm sure a lot of the companies in this industry are seeing record lows in sales and profits due to this rotten economy.  I mean, who the hell spends money on games and consoles when they can't even afford food?  Unfortunately that's where a lot of American's are nowadays.  It's no surprise that companies that sell non necessity items are hurting.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think a big part of the sales dropping is the recent attachment for the 3DS. From a design perspective, it really should have been included on the handheld from launch, and it's strange to think that Nintendo didn't realize this during production. I'm sure there are good reasons as to why they chose not to add it on before launch, but ultimately it's probably coming back to bite them in the butt now.

Of course, when Nintendo eventually re-releases the 3DS in the next format, the added control stick will more than likely be embedded into the original design like it was meant to.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Nintendo really needs to bring a next-gen console to the table. Their latest handheld, the 3Ds, is just that: a handheld. Most people will see that and think "I could spend $170 for a little handheld system, or $250 for an xbox 360 and play action-packed games in high definition". The fact is, those little handheld systems are WAY too overpriced. The hardware in them can't even come close to competing with the hardware that is in systems like the xbox 360 and ps3. When it comes down to it, the majority of gamers will favor the more appealing, larger, and powerful systems for a little bit more money, than spending all that on a little system with hardware probably on-par with the gamecube. Portability is nice, but we've long moved into the next generation of graphics and processing power. Nintendo really needs to start acknowledging that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Plus I'd guess most with cellphones would use those for portable gaming.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Nintendo needs to acknowledge nothing. They beat out their supposed more advanced rivals for half a decade with supposedly inferior hardware. When their next console comes out, they'll be back on top.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Dec 5 2011 on  12:03 PM
Nintendo really needs to bring a next-gen console to the table.
Funny you say that. I looked into it and Wii unit sales have been the highest out of the 7th generation consoles. The recorded total number of worldwide sales since it's release (as of September 30) is 89.36 million while PS3 and Xbox 360 sales number 55.5 million (as of November 2nd) and 57.6 (as of September 30) respectively. I honestly can't explain why the sales are so high. I didn't expect them to be. Also, handhelds are a different kind of gaming system and I don't think their hardware can really fairly be compared to that of the Xbox 360 and PS3. However, the Wii's hardware can. Clearly, Nintendo has yet to release a console with hardware to play with graphics like that of the PS3 and 360, but, as sales numbers indicate, the console is doing strong in its sales despite lacking the amazing graphics of the other two consoles.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
That would be because it takes far more than top-of-the-line graphics to make a good game (hell, you don't even need the best graphics to have an absolutely awesome game). You can have fantastic graphics, and still have a game no one wants to touch with a twenty foot pole (I'm looking at you, Far Cry 2).
What makes a great game is gameplay and design, and in some cases, good story and acting. The Wii had many games that had both the former, and as well as many but as many that also had the latter. I'm satisfied playing a game with sprite graphics, so HD is meaningless to me.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf