The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Great Valley Color Symbolism

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
So I've heard people complaining about Topsy and the Duckbills' colour palette in The Great Valley. Here's my take on it.
Aside from the children and adolescent dinosaurs, all the adults seem to be mucky colours of dark grey outside the valley. This is probably because of lighting.
Ever noticed how LF can be either brown or purple? Ducky is almost brown at some points in the movie. Same with Spike and Cera. Petrie is pretty consistent, save for his intro scene (he was kept in shadows to make the reveal more of a surprise). So is this because of the harsh lighting?
It seems to me that whenever Lf is purple, it's either nighttime or cloudy. Whenever the GoF is under harsh, desert sunlight, they go slightly brown.
In conclusion, I determine the final scene to represent the canonical colours of the dinosaurs.

LF is purple
Petrie is slightly red
Ducky is green
The Big-Mouths are light purple
Topsy is light purple
etc

To confirm this, we would have to screenshot each palette under every light condition (Harsh, cloudy, night, day, etc).Let's do some deduction, people.

PS: What would Sharptooth look like in the valley?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The colors can vary even more depending on the lighting. In the original movie there are scenes in which Littlefoot and Ducky are yellow. In LBT 8 Ducky is sometimes depicted in gray (and while I cannot swear an oath on it without checking first I think she is not the only one). In nightly or cave scenes I think all of the characters often appear grayish too, but in those cases the grayish effect may come pretty close to what the original colors might look like in twilight (while in LBT 8 the gray sometimes came out in scenes of bright sunlight). There are also those scenes in some movies in which landscape and characters are turned red in case of danger (in my opinion a very exaggerated effect).
The colors vary even in the same weather conditions in different movies. For example in some movies Littlefoot appears as more brown than purple (Ali being more purplish than him even though LBT 4 is not a movie in which Littlefoot is on the brown end of the brown/purple-spectrum).

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is an interesting thread..

In LBT 8 Ducky is sometimes depicted in gray (and while I cannot swear an oath on it without checking first I think she is not the only one).
I'm pretty sure Ducky is grey, the others have their special "snow colours" too.

It would be very interesting to compare different scenes of different movies with each other using screenshots...
Inactive, probably forever.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
How are the colors symbolic, though?

Since one of my favorite parts of the original movie is the fact that the lighting changes, it always perplexes me when I hear people complain about it!  :huh:

I think if Sharptooth had made it to the valley, he would be a more saturated green. So basically I think that all characters' coloring would be brighter and more saturated in the Great Valley.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: FreckledOne,Oct 24 2013 on  07:38 PM
How are the colors symbolic, though?

Since one of my favorite parts of the original movie is the fact that the lighting changes, it always perplexes me when I hear people complain about it!  :huh:

I think if Sharptooth had made it to the valley, he would be a more saturated green. So basically I think that all characters' coloring would be brighter and more saturated in the Great Valley.
I was going to talk about the emotional symbolism, but decided not to.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
On a side note, Grammy and Grampy longneck turn magenta briefly in LBT 7. XD