The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Frozen

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Disney's adaptation of The Snow Queen. The very basic synopsis is that instead of a girl rescuing a boy from the titular queen as in the story, a girl will be rescuing her sister from herself, kinda (since her sister is the snow queen). This will be released sometime later this month. I have mixed feelings about it. Some aspects of it sound interesting, but others sound, eh, dumb.  :neutral

What do you all think? I will probably go see it, because the part about Elsa sounds decent, and to see if all the negative criticism I've been reading is warranted.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I may pass on it.  I didn't hear they were even coming out with a movie, though I don't keep up with such things, not having tv.  I think I read the story a long time ago.  Years ago I heard the audio book, it was about 45 minutes or an hour, not sure how much was cut from that version.    After it's been out for a bit you can easily find out what most folks think about it.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I guess I won't pass judgement till I see it, but it looks very formulaic from the previews. A few interesting elements, and some nice scenery, as per the norm, but eh. I haven't been impressed by a big studio animated film in a while. I will probably check it out though :smile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I'm not even going to touch what has been said on tumblr with a 39 and a half wood pole, but just from looking at the previews and as I read a bit of the story it's based on; I'm mostly annoyed with the marketing of this. I don't think it's too in your face like say some other animated films in recent years, but I feel like they're trying to do the same thing over again as they did with Tangled. Tangled wasn't a bad movie, but it isn't one of my personal favorites.

I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want to see it in theaters, I may decide to, especially if my cousins are going to want to see it, as they are Disney fans like their big cousin. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
MovieBob tells you why you SHOULD see this one, even if you are more into the old school Disney Films.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...e-Movies-Frozen

I'll wait until my off day to see it.

See ya later! :wave

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I just saw it with my sister today. It's a great movie. I would list the reasons why, but I'd be entering spoiler territory. I will say this. It's much better than what the trailers indicate.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm not even going to touch what has been said on tumblr with a 39 and a half wood pole
Yeah, I agree.  :crazy

I finally got around to see this yesterday. I had planned on going on Thanksgiving, but a headache plus a three hour nap plus getting dragged to go shopping kinda got in the way of that. Overall I think it is a good movie, and not nearly as stupid as the previews would want you to think. As I predicted, Elsa is my favorite character. :^.^: *sings Let it Go*

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I went to see this movie twice, and it vastly exceeded all of my expectations. Outstanding music, gorgeous animation, the best plot twists I could have asked for, a comic relief character who was far less annoying than I had feared, and above all, the two female lead characters, Anna and Elsa. I don't believe I've indicated it before on the forum, but I feel very strongly about movies and other media having good female characters and avoiding/subverting gender stereotypes and clichÈs, and Frozen was exemplary in this category.

Any more in-depth explanation would be a minefield of spoilers, but suffice to say I highly recommend this movie. If it's still out in theaters where you are, Rat_lady7, I think you should definitely see it. I strongly suspect you would enjoy it immensely.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I saw this movie just before it left theaters.  I greatly regret that I didn't see it sooner because I would have loved to see it again.  The animation was absolutely beautiful, the songs were some of the best I've seen from Disney in a long time, the plot and characters were much better than I expected.  As others have pointed out, the trailers simply didn't do this movie any justice. Overall, Frozen is one of the best movies Disney has done in a long time.  It thoroughly deserved the two Oscars it won, in my opinion.

Also, I noticed a lot of people dismissed this as a silly kiddie film before it even came out.  I feel I should point out that people said the same thing about How to Train Your Dragon and look how that turned out.  

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago and even though I had a hard time admitting it to myself, I loved it :DD . I'm particularly obsessed with the devastatingly handsome Hans, who is widely considered the "villain". However, I don't really find him all that evil; I mean yeah, he's a bit of a jerk, but I don't think he's "evil". I mean look at him! How can an adorable face like that POSSIBLY be considered "evil"?!?!????!?!? It makes no sense!!!!!!! :wow

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: OllyDirectioner,Apr 11 2014 on  12:31 PM
I saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago and even though I had a hard time admitting it to myself, I loved it :DD . I'm particularly obsessed with the devastatingly handsome Hans, who is widely considered the "villain". However, I don't really find him all that evil; I mean yeah, he's a bit of a jerk, but I don't think he's "evil". I mean look at him! How can an adorable face like that POSSIBLY be considered "evil"?!?!????!?!? It makes no sense!!!!!!! :wow

"A bit of a jerk" is white an understatement.  Let's take a good look at his crimes, shall we? He tried to murder two sisters and take over their kingdom for personal gain.  Oh, and let's not forget how he taunted Anna and Elsa before trying to kill them both.  I mean, he gloats to Anna while she's dying, and when he tries to kill Elsa, he has a sinister smirk on his face as if he's gonna enjoy what he is about to do.  The guy was a cruel, manipulative sociopath, plain and simple.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks can be deceptive.  

Good movie.  I put it on my list of movies to eventually buy.

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I checked it out when it was rented from Redbox. I liked it. It was a really imaginative and fun movie with cute songs. I think I'D like to own it as well. I mainly liked it for the sisterly bond between Anna and Elsa. They reminded me of me and my sis when we were kids. We still have a strong bond, too.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I went into the theater with high expectations for Frozen. I laughed, I gasped, I whimpered... all what you'd expect from a Disney movie. But I can't say I really, really enjoyed it.
First off, Elsa's song Let It Go bugged me (I love the song; about the only thing I loved, besides Olaf) but why in the world did she have to transform into a slutty outfit at the end of her tune?
Anna was somewhat amusing in her naivety but she was almost irritating. I can understand her situation and all, but sheesh, Rapunzal was a more believable ditz.

I came out of the theater trying to make myself like it and I know I'm one of only two people so far who have qualms about it. It seemed like it was a cry to women that 'you don't need a prince'. Hello? That's what Disney is all about. But the ladies in the main roles don't have to be helpless wimps (I can't really think of any Disney princesses who are, though O_o). Rapunzal? Tiana? Cinderella? Mulan? The list goes on...
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No show or movie is perfect.  Even the best has some weak or perhaps even bad spots.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Let It Go was one of my favorite sequences. I think the outfit she created was really nice and sleek looking. I don't know how it looks 'slutty'; it's just a nice outfit. It wasn't revealing really, and it was overall quite pretty to look at. I don't get how anyone can look at that outfit and think 'slutty' instead of 'beautiful' or 'pretty' or 'stunning'. Those were the thoughts that entered my mind when I saw it. For me to see it as "slutty", I'd have to squint and turn my head and look really hard.

Anna has been sheltered her whole life, never going outside and almost never interacted with anyone. So is it any wonder she's naive? Well yeah there's her parents, but she still didn't know much about the world, and the movie seems to greatly hint that she didn't really have a lot of people to talk to, if any. And when their parents died, who knows how long it was between that and when the corronation (sp?) was? She could have gone a couple years without interacting with anyone. So yeah I think her behavior is something to be expected from someone with very little social interactions. Considering that I grew up with little social interaction outside my family myself, I can see where Anna is coming from. Her naivity didn't come across as unbelievable to me.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can't judge age but it could have been 5 or 10 years before her coronation.  If she was afraid of hurting someone with her power she may have told the servants to just leave her food outside the door and knock and she'd get it herself or knock and wait till she went into another room before she called out it was ok for them to enter.  So she may not have even talked to the servants in the years between her parent's death & her coronation.  I did like the Let It Go Song.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
think the outfit she created was really nice and sleek looking. I don't know how it looks 'slutty'; it's just a nice outfit. It wasn't revealing really, and it was overall quite pretty to look at.
That's fine for you to think so. I never said you couldn't think it was nice-looking. But the outfit she had on before was just as nice, perhaps all the more serious-looking and actually regal. The new outfit - althought granted was pretty - didn't hold any of the regality and charm that her other outfit possessed. What I'm asking is, why did she have to change?

If she was afraid of hurting someone with her power she may have told the servants to just leave her food outside the door and knock and she'd get it herself or knock and wait till she went into another room before she called out it was ok for them to enter. So she may not have even talked to the servants in the years between her parent's death & her coronation.

That was another thing that bothered me. It seemed like the storyline went way too overboard with the whole parents-not-wanting-anybody-to-find out. It seemed too wooden, too puppet-like, too autonomous. Cut off all outside contact? Why didn't they ask Papa Troll for advice on how to control her powers? Or if they didn't want her to have it, why not ask for a reverse spell? They clearly didn't want her to have it, and if it caused them such grief, you'd think they'd want an antidote! Papa Troll didn't offer anything helpful, just made sure Anna didn't freeze as quick as she would have if she'd been struck thorugh the heart (which she ends up getting, albeit several years later.)
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Apr 16 2014 on  01:50 PM
think the outfit she created was really nice and sleek looking. I don't know how it looks 'slutty'; it's just a nice outfit. It wasn't revealing really, and it was overall quite pretty to look at.
What I'm asking is, why did she have to change?
That's the wrong question. It's a movie. The events of it are predetermined by the studio. She had to change because the directors made it so. The correct question is, What was Elsa's purpose for changing her dress? or something along those lines. That answer is up to your own interpretation.
Also, your use of the word "slutty" to describe her dress has me all riled up. What you're wearing can be considered "slutty." What I am wearing can be considered "slutty." Every article of clothing can be considered "slutty." Not all "sluts" where revealing and/or formfitting clothes.

I do agree with you on how the king and queen handled Elsa's situation, and that Grand Pabbie could have explained more about what he meant. It was quite clear to me that the fear he is referring to as Elsa's enemy was her own. And for some comedy, here's How Frozen Should Have Ended.

I really loved the movie. The highlight, for me, was definitely Olaf! "Oh look at that. I've been impaled."

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
I actually like it! :DD

If you're a Frozen and MLP fan, this video might interest you: Frozen "Let it go" version My Little Pony
Frozen "Let it go" version My Little Pony