The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New to the Big Screen

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You might want to see Flightplan.

It has a very good story and a good score by James Horner (lbt 1).

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
has Anyone seeen Good Night, and Good Luck?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Cant say I've really heard of it Nick. Flightplan has not to long been annouced over here. Think it's out on general release as of this coming Friday. Some film starring Jodie Foster isnt it? Havent heard much about the plot though

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The film I'm talking about is about Edward R Murrow, a very famous reporter who spoke out aggainst McCarthy during the hysteria of the early 50's.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I saw Goblet of Fire yesterday.  It was very good, but very dark.  You all should see it, if you get the chance.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm going to watch it along with my Mum, two cousins of mine and their parents. However, it is difficult to find a date that suits all of them. We may have to go on separate days after all. I expect HP 4 to be gloomy (that's what the book was) and the next ones are likely to be gloomier. Sadly the movies have so far come very short of the books (in my opinion).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Not to mention that "Goblet of Fire" also has the most numerous changes to it compared to the others in the series.

Skip this one, Malte, it was directed by a child-hating director. This is what he said, almost word for word: "Children are little bastards. Basically, just adults in waiting." You're going to see a film directed by a man who said that? DOn't bother. I only went because I was dragged in, kicking and screaming the entire way, and again, a HP film did not not fail to disappoint.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You might want to stay away from Zathura.

Aside from good special effects, if you've seen Jumanji, you've basically seen this movie.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Stitch,Nov 28 2005 on  01:14 AM
You might want to stay away from Zathura.

Aside from good special effects, if you've seen Jumanji, you've basically seen this movie.
That is exactly what I was thinking seeing the previews for it: just a really expensive Jumanji remake without Williams.  The only thing I *might* go see once this semester is done is Rent.  My 13 year old sister gave that glamourous remarks so it might be worthwhile...or not  :P:  since our tastes vary.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I saw Harry Potter, and it was pretty good. it's definitely getting darker, no question. It 's turned away from the familiar surrooundings and foocises more on Harry hermoine and Ron. It's more of a thriller than a children's book.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I saw Harry Potter and the Goblat of Fire also.  They left too much out but it was still good.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I saw it too on friday. I like this movie better than the previous HP movies, but it definitely doesn't come close to the books. They cut things more carefully this time.
For example they left out Winky and the whole "house elve liberation" business of Hermione. Those are interesting elements in the books, but they don't really contribute anything of importance to the story.
They left out Ludo Bagman and Harry's donation to the Weasley twins. Regretable, but still things they could leave out without hurting the story too much.
However, they will have to ignore the fate of Barty Crouch (being kissed by a Dementor and thus stripped of his soul and memory) in the next movie. It may be a bit tricky to explain ministry's refusal to believe Harry and Dumbledore without this element. Also they didn't tell how Barty Crouch jr. escaped from Azcaban which may seem like a plothole to all those who have seen the movie but not read the book (after all there was such a fuss about Black's escape) while it is not even explained in the movie that Barty Crouch jr's escape was never noticed due to his mothers sacrifice... His mother's sacrifice, reminds of Harry, doesn't it?
Anyway one thing that sort of annoys me about the movies is that for spectacularity's sake they change some important points about the story. For example the dragon apparently doesn't survive the "fight" with Harry while in the book Krum is marked down for hurting the dragon so it tramples over it's eggs. They seem to have more respect for life in the books. Also in the movies the candidates are send into peril like gladiators while in the books there are security wizzards all around the dragon to prevent it from killing anyone (in the movie it almost slaughters the whole staff of Hogwarts) and the people in the lake would not have been able to drown anyone either.
Still, this movie seemed better to me than the previous Harry Potter movies.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah but it was Dobbie who gave Harry the giliweed, not Nevel.  Did I spell his name right?  They could have at least have had Dobbie for that but I guess they wouldn't want to hire an actor just for that two second scene.  I hope they add stuff for the DVD release.  I am glad to finaly see how Voldamort looked.  Wicked!

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
they cut out a lot of stuff, but they had to, the book is over 700 pages and it would be 6 hours long if they tried to put in everything.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Narnia was cool, if a bit dark.  

You should all try to see it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Enough about Potter, let's talk about Narnia. I just saw it on Saturday. Wonderful movie. The last time I was wowed by a film so much was watching "The Fellowship of the Ring" for the first time. They stuck to the book, almost completely, aside from a few additions, but they cut nothing and did not water any of the material down.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Would you believe I've never read this book at all, so I'm really not familiar with the film at all.  Sure, technically it looks amazing, but I just don't know what the story is about.  Anyone want to fill me in on the plot of Narnia since it will help me decide if I bother to go see it or just wait for rentals.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've read the book The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe but that was years and years ago! I can't actually remember any of it coz I read it at school when I was a kid. Think it was back in year 4 when I first read it!. It was that long ago!

The film doesnt look too bad actually. I'm not a fan of LOTRs (another movie rebel there next to not liking Star Wars LOL) but this one I think I cna relate to a little more. Might be worth a bucthers! :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read all 7 seven books and the LW&W is actually the second book in the series (The Magician Nephew is the first) I'm really looking forward to seeing it. And Another Film I'm going to see is KIng Kong. The critic's reviews have been stellar, and its directed by Peter Jackson(from LOTR).
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
King Kong does look good! Hopefully it will be a little more impressive than Gozilla's re-release back in the 90s. It looks cool! I'll be going to see it...when I get the chance