The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Prehistoric Pet Insurance!

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
OK, the basic point of this is the idea that we can domesticate and make use of prehistoric animals the same way we do modern ones. Seriously, who hasn't wanted a pet dinosaurs once in their life?  ;) So, let us explore...

For me, the ideal pet dinosaur would be Incisivosaurus - not only do I love oviraptorids, it seems to be the only one who wouldn't severely damage something. Its smaller than most of its relatives, so would be safe around the house, its beak won't do as much damage as its buck-teeth, which would only create a gnawing problem. And I can tolerate it...its even child-friendly!

You know, in fact, I'll go buy myself one right now...

Oh, and if you're planning to start a farm, bear in mind the English countryside is full of Dollodon and Cetiosaurus, ideal animals to farm for great tender steaks. Of course, if you don't live in England, there are still so many options available to you...

Or perhaps you'd prefer to keep pterosaurs? I've heard Dimorphodon are very popular at the moment. That goes without mentioning the challenge dog-lovers face when they've got an Epicyon in their kennel...

Oh, and try to avoid the swimming pool for a while, that's where my labyrinthodont lives, sorry...

;) Over to you!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I want a Swimmer :lol: but it should stay the size of Ducky :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I want a Pteranodon. Best method of transport ever!

A Velociraptor would be pretty cool as well, as long as it wouldn't go for me  :o Kind of like a dog but more bitey.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh so many choices!
I don't think I'd like a Troodon for a pet though - puts me in mind of a vengeful cat :smile - and I don't need a clever enough pet that can discern how to get back at me... *shivers*

I'd like a Struthiomimus - pretty nifty transportation (nearly portable), and with my fam's lifestyle, a gregarious omnivore that must constantly eat to keep up its energy level would be a no-brainer. Plus, I've got a nice empty room in my house where it could easily sleep, as well as a nice backyard where it could get its daily exercise in.

Wow this is sounding more and more plausible. Now where's my Struthiomimus?! :bang
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There are a number of roles where certain dinosaurs could be working animals as well.

For example, in hilly or mountainous areas, there will be steep slopes, high areas and depressions which are too dangerous for tractors to drive over, as they could get stuck or fall over. To haul lumber or till the soil in such areas in temperate climates usually horses are used. However, a single horse often lacks the strength to pull very heavy loads, and teams of horses pulling a single load use their strength sub-optimally. Also, on very heavy terrain horses are prone to injuries, because hooves don't provide enough traction and the hide on their legs is rather thin.

There is an animal that performs better than a horse at these tasks.

The Parasaurolophus is a bulky animal, with very strong legs, weighting about 2,5 tons. Being much stronger than a horse, and with feet that provide better traction, it can pull heavy plows over steep slopes with rocky soils, or haul timbers out of a depression in a forest while digging its feet in the ground (still, on extremely difficult terrain, such as exposed karst, additional protection in the form of Apatosaurus leather paddings for the Parasaurolophus' feet is recommended).

A Parasaurolophus is also more efficient than a horse, since it loses less energy on body heat and can survive on lower quality food. An adult Parasaurolophus doesn't even need to be kept in a stable during winter, but can be left to forage in a forest, particularly if there are conifers around.

Another archosaur that could serve as a working animal would be a Pteranodon for helping in big game fishing as a fish spotter. It can cover very large areas, and notify you of the fish's position by circling over an area.