The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

FullMetal Alchemist

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I really didn't have time for it, but my friend has been pestering me to watch FullMetal Alchemist (FMA) for some time now so....I did.  I downloaded the entire series seeing as I certainly didn't have the time to watch it on the TV.  I must say...wow.  The story itself is unremarkable, but the coded messages inside are incredible.  It makes us question the very nature of our existence and shows you that no matter how little you have, there's always more that can be taken away from you.  

To be honest the whole thing was pretty depressing.  It was a sad horrible anime, but I believe everyone should watch it.  This is one of the only films that has profoundly affected me on a personal level.  And I gotta say...the ending sucked.  As depressing as the entire series was, it certainly didn't get any lighter by the end.  Ah gee, the whole experience has left me feeling drained and depressed.  You probably wouldn't have gotten this affect if you had watched this erratically throughout several weeks, but I practically digested that thing in two days due to lack of time.  It sort of makes me wish I had never downloaded it...but at the same time I'm glad I did.  It's a strange feeling.

So has anyone else here seen FMA?  If so, did you have a similar experience?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've seen some episodes of this series, and it did seem pretty dark & depressing to me, at least the series I have seen, not sure about the rest of the series.  

There is also something called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that I have heard about but I'm not sure if it is a sequel series or what it is.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yeah, I like that series, too. I absolutely loved the relationship between the Elric brothers and their friends. The villains were good, too.

Yeah, the messages were pretty depressing, which is why I weas glad for the comic relief. Another message in it was that once you lose something, you ARE NOT getting it back. The Elric bros. tried toresurrect their mother, and that blew up in their faces. So they looked for the Philosopher's Stone to make things right again, but once they had it, they didn't want it, and that blew up in their faces as well. Yeah, its a depressing little series. You check out the original comic book series. Its a lot different after a certain point, but its pretty good, too.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is depressing considering how much the heroes have to sacrifice, and that they are seperated at the end. Ed is stuck in a different timeline, unable to get back.. I'm not sure if uin "Brotherhood he managed to get back..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Lol, I just watched the whole series myself. If my friend read the first book of Bone, I'd watch the first twenty episodes. Well, I watched all 51 plus the movie. A lot of the cat scenes upset me...especially at the end of that one episode where they left the kitten in a pram  :( . It was SO cute, but it was sad too. AND THE MOMMY CAT  :cry2 !!!
My friend also directed me to this video
Random, but tasteful. Envy's pants FTW XD ! *screamo* THESE ARE NOT-MY-PANTS!  :lol

I was really mad that they killed Hughs. HE HAS A FOUR-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER, FOR GOSH SAKE  :cry2 !!! If he had lived this is what I would imagine:
"*shoves something in someone's face* Look at my little girl's third grade report-card! She's got straight A's all the way through the school year! SHE'S SUCH A SMART LITTLE GIRL!!! *kisses it* AND LOOK AT THIS ADORABLE PICTURE! This is when she played Hermia in the school's production of "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream"! My little girl! The STAR!" I wonder what would happen when his daughter gets a boyfriend...

I didn't like a lot of the movie. I LOVED the WWII concept, but it was just too quick. That's the problem with anime movies :/ .

So, if you want to know what happens after the series, watch the movie...it should be on Animefreaks. A lot of the clips from that video I just put up are from the movie.

My favorite main character is probobly Al. He's so sweet X3 . When I saw him in pictures, I was imagining a DEEP BOOMING BARITONE voice...and then I get the squeaky kid voice XD .

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I gotta say General Hughes wasn't my favorite character (he was quite annoying), but he was honestly a nice guy and it was pretty sad when he died.  I'm just impressed he found out so much.  I wonder how he did that?  Even if he was in the investigations department, he was investigating his own government and military!  I'm surprised he got anywhere at all.  It seems the humunculous' weren't very good and neither was the woman at the top. :p They all got what they deserved.

But I don't know.  I really liked Lust.  She was one of my favorite characters.  So dynamic and the way she acted at the end made me like her even more.  Too bad she had to die.  I would've liked that character to have continued.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wasn't winifred the love interest of Edward? I think Rose was supposed to be a love interest too, she did tell Edward she loved him in the second last episode..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I actually thought Winry was his sister for the first 15 episodes.....that is until I noticed how flirtatious they were one another and was like WTF? :blink:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah I thought that too, turns out through they were neighbors and were very close growing up.. as they got older, their feelings for each other grew..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Crap!  Winry is Ed's sister!  WTF?  Watch episode 23 "Heart of Steel".  Hugues calls Ed and Al her "brothers" and I don't think he meant metaphorically.  They were flirting with one another!  I've only seen the whole series once so I forget what episode, but I remember thinking to myself "Great, the whole series is ruined now.  They're going to have a brother-sister romance" :x Good thing nothing happened between them because the ARE related.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't be;ieve they were actually brother and Sister, they couldn't have romance if they were actually brother and sister. No Winifred just a close friend. watch the first couple episodes.. I really think that comment was metaphorical.. the series is depressing enough without going into incest..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know.  I've watched a few more episodes.  One moment she acts like his sister and the next she looks like she has a crush on him.  I'm confused...

According to the animation, she does have a crush on him.  The standard reddening of under the eyes with lines typically indicates that.  But then again, her grandmother raised them so maybe they considered Winry their sister even though she isn't blood related?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, What I fpound on Wiki says she is simply a chhildhood friend who has served as a 'sister figure"- they never had sisters of thier own.. I think Winry is a love intterest, and I think Rose is intended to be one as well although she's not in the story nearly as much asd Winry is..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: