The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

So Metallica re-released two albums on vinyl...

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning have been re-released on vinyl, on 33 1/3 rpm, $16,  and deluxe versions at 45 rpm, $28.

What does this mean, what's the difference, is the deluxe worth the extra $12, should I just stick to the CDs, etc.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Will no one help me?

Does anyone here even have the knowledge of this subject?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
While I don't have a lot of *knowledge* on vinyl, physics tells me this:
A faster RPM will result in a higher-quality sound.

Why?  More data per second.  a 45 RPM vinyl has a larger surface area covered by the reader within the same amount of time.  Therefore more data is read in the same amount of time, therefore the sound quality is more precise than on the 33 1/3 RPM disk.

If an expert can correct me, please do so.  That just seems logical to me.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Unless you've a record player that costs in the four digits, don't waste your time with vinyl.  You'll never get the quality a cd player can do for 3% of that.  Yes, there are people who will say otherwise, but really, after the first play, that vinyl disc has already lost some quality.  Doesn't happen to a cd.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Honestly, vinyl isn't worth the maintenence to keep it in pristine shape.  Also, you're pretty much restricted to one type of listening environment.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Yeah...  Vinyl is actually a higher quality medium; actually, ALL analog mediums are higher quality than their digital counterparts, but the wearing thing...  Well, I don't notice it as much, probably because one of my ears is very slightly deaf, from a birth defect.  Result of being born a week shy of three months early.
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Vinyl should be of higher quality...I will agree....however, most will not pay for that kind of listening experience.  You need at least a $1000 record player and some $1000 speakers for it to shine, and some good cleaning routines to remove pops and clicks.  Otherwise just stick with digital and cds.

Result of being born a week shy of three months early.

Heh, you and me both. ;)  Only I hear better than I see. :p

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
...That's too bad; yeah, they gave me too much oxygen when I was born, stretched my retinas to football-size...  That's why I wear glasses, if you've seen my Profile pic.  Heck, I almost died twice - conflicting reports say I ACTUALLY died twice; uh, yeah, my first 56 days...  Uhm, guess I was supposed to be here...  But I can't remember anything before my sixth birthday.
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...