The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Histories of our grandparents

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi,
the veterans' day thread made me think that perhaps it would be a good idea to have a thread in which we could share tales of our grandparents. Many in the Gang of Five are very interested in history and many of our grandparents are among the last witnesses of times to which soon nobody will remember anymore. I want to encourage everyone to talk to your grandparents, to ask them about their times. By the way, grandparents by no means need to have been veterans or been born long before WW2 to have interesting stories to tell. Not only are there many more recent events to which even our parents may remember (e.g. the building of the Berlin Wall (the tearing down of which even some of us may remember), the wild 60s, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Kennedy Assassination, the Moonlanding etc. etc.) but also there are many things apart from notable events, just aspects of daily life in a world that differed from ours in its technical possibilities as well as its perceptions of daily live that are very interesting to hear about.
And here we have grandparents from all over the Americas (both north and south), Europe, Asia, and Australia. We have grandparents who may have been born in countries different from the ones where you are living now (maybe some can tell about how they came to your country), and I would be really interested to hear the stories of your grandparents and at the same time I would be happy to ask my grandparents the questions which you may have and post their answers.
As I made the suggestion I will just start telling some of the stories that you might find interesting, that might encourage you to ask, and most of all might also encourage you to post some of your grandparents' stories. Above all however I hope to encourage those of you to talk to your grandparents about the times long past who haven't yet talked to your grandparents about these times so far. We are the last generation with the chance to talk to those who witnessed the times of WW2 and it would be a shame if we let this chance pass by.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
I like the sound of this... :yes

My Grandfather isn't necessarily a veteran - he only served in the army for a few years in the 1950s - but he's had a very varied life, and seen a lot of things.
His family is Scandinavian in origin (his family name can be traced back to the Viking times) and they moved to New Zealand in the early 1900s, I would guess because of the First World War. He was born in 1936, and like I said served in the army in the '50s. If I recall correctly, he learned how to fly a plane in that time. He had a quiet-ish life after that, working on a farm as a top-dresser (spraying insecticides onto crops) and later owning a bakery and then a convenience store, all in New Zealand. He and his family moved over to Australia in the 1980s, where my Mother met my Father in Sydney. They married, moved to Perth (taking my Grandparents with them), and I was born.
My Grandmother, I don't know much about. Her family can be traced back to a Medieval family with a knight at the head. All I know about her is that she was born in 1928, married, and when her first husband died she met my Grandfather. She had a stroke in he late 1980s I believe, and spent the rest of her life in a wheelchair. Unfortunately, I have almost no way of finding out more about her, as she died in 2003 and her only surviving relative is over in New Zealand, in her twilight years.
Time is slowly running out for finding out more about my Grandfather as well, as he is in his 70s and was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer last year.

Anyway, that's a small history of my Grandparents... :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I am going to tell more about the histories of my grandparents. I must point out that of course the perspective here is in a sense the perspective of people who to some degree participated in one of the worst crimes in human history. I think it is more difficult in Germany to come to terms with the history of the own grandparents than it would be for most people whose grandparents fought against the nazi regime.
I love my grandparents and I have been talking a lot with them about history. It is not my intention (or theirs) to justify or to trivialize what they were part of. Nor is there any intention to in any way "compensate" for the horrors caused by Germans in the world when, telling about the experiences of my grandparents, I will also describe the sufferings they went through during the years of World War 2.
I do hope that we may in the end have some stories here from people all around the world. Maybe some of you will ask their grandparents and learn about things you never knew before.

My grandpa Werner was born on January 20th 1920 and my grandma Ruth on February 15th 1924. So both of them were old enough to remember the entire time of nazi rule in Germany.
The most critical question many people in Germany can ask their grandparents is of course about what they did know about the Holocaust and the crimes that were committed in Germany between 1933 and 1945. Many elder people claimed that they did not know of anything at all, a claim which is extremely unlikely at best or more likely an excuse. For those who really wanted to know it was probably quite possible to learn about all that was going on and some people who wanted to found out and paid with their lives for trying to do what they could to stop the genocide (like Hans and Sophie Scholl who were roughly the same age as my grandpa).
My grandparents never pretended that they had not any idea at all of what was going on and they have been very open with me when it came to talking about those things which must be shameful for them to talk about. There were no heroes of the resistance against the nazi regime in my family that I am aware of, nor were there any high ranking functionaries of the regime. None of my grandparents was a member of the NSDAP while their parents were (refusing to join the NSDAP seriously decreased the chance of the own business to survive once the nazi rule was established). My grandparents did not outrightly promote the rule of the nazis, but they were among the huge majority of followers who by not protesting and not looking closely at what was going on bear their part of the responsibility of what they all by themselves could not have prevented but which they could have if they and some hundreds or thousands of others had not looked away. My grandparents have admitted that much and always made a strong point of hoping that the next generations, our generation that is, will learn from their mistakes.

My grandpa admitted that in the last years preceding Hitler's rise to power he was a lot more fascinated by the nazis martial militarist and "orderly" appearance when demonstrating in the streets than he was by the appearance of communist demonstrations which put a strong emphasis on appearing as part of the people (e.g. mothers with buggies participated in these demonstrations). He told me that his parents (though his father later joined the NSDAP) were not happy with his fascination. When at some point between 1930 and 1932 my grandpa had been beaten up after handing out nazi leaflets his father told him that it "served him right".
However, throughout the 1930s my grandpa said the fascination with the nazis did not decrease and it was commonly felt that Adolf Hitler had solved the problem of the extreme unemployment in the aftermath of the world economy crisis.

In this context I must point out that it is a rather persistent myth unfortunately that Hitler solved anything that others did not. While it is true that the number of unemployed did decrease in the 1930s this decrease was not as extreme as claimed by the nazi propaganda, it was not based so exclusively on policies pusued by the nazis only, and worst of all the new jobs that really were created by specific nazi policies were mainly such jobs that were connected to the preparation for the war.

Back to what my grandpa told about the time preceding WW2 he says that same as so many he was quite enthusiastic about the "re-union" with Austria and the occupation of the Sudettenland, the part of Czechoslovakia where there was a large percentage of German speaking people. He says that the very first time he doubted the politics of the nazis was when in March 1939, in outright violation of the Munich agreement, the rest of Czechoslovakia was occupied. He said that he felt that "we had no business there where they did not even speak our language". He did not come out with that thought though and it was not enough to turn him against the regime at that time.
Several months earlier on the 9th and 10th of November 1938 there had been the worst pogroms against Jews in Germany before the outbreak of WW2. In what became euphemized as the "Kristallnacht" (litterally "Crystal night", a reference to the broken glass that was lying everywhere on the streets the day after) Jewish shops, houses, and synagogues everywhere in Germany were systematically destroyed and sometimes torched. The belongings of Jews were destroyed and thrown onto the streets. The nazis claimed this to be a spontaneous outbreak of "Volkszorn" (literally "wrath of the people"), but it is proven by now that it was a long and systematically prepared pogrom.
My grandpa did not participate himself in any actions against Jews that night (and I am very relieved about that). But he admitted with some embarassment to me that the next day when he was walking through the streets with the destroyed belongings and pieces of broken glass everywhere all that he was thinking was that what a "waste of property" it was. He told me that at that time it did not even occur to him to think of the people, to think of those who were suffering from this. He told me that same as many he thought of it only "economically" and was "a bit repulsed" at the vandalism, but that it was not until much later that he ever thought about the Jews. From what he told most of those who did not chim in the nazi's anti-Jewish scape-goat propaganda apparently banished the Jews from their mind altogether speaking or thinking about them as little as possible :(

My grandma Ruth was born in Aplerbeck, the part of Dortmund where most of Dortmund's Jews lived. She can still give the names of many Jewish families she knew as a kid. Among them were some really wealthy business men of high social standing before 1933. My grandma remembers for example one very pious Jew who used to invite the children on Saturdays / Sabbaths. Because he was so pious he did not want to do any work on the Sabbath he gave the children chocolate and candy if they did the little works (turning on the heating, preparing a meal etc.) that had to be done.
Grandma said that nobody could possibly miss the fact that the Jews were disappearing. Prior to WW2 it was commonly assumed that they emigrated (which before WW2 was true for some) while later on it was a topic nobody mentioned anymore at all. She admits that even though she had known too many Jews in Aplerbeck to believe in the nazi propaganda against them she never stood up for anyone. First she said it was "unpleasant" to speak against what seemed to be the official position and later on she says one was really afraid of speaking about it at all.
She says that people generally knew that there were concentration camps and also that many Jews were imprisoned there along with (these words are what she told me she was told) "bad people". The direct mass murder, the gas chambers, and the genocide she said was not commonly known. She says that she as well as most people would know that bad things were happening there but she did not know about the dimensions. The main reason for not knowing about this however was probably not wanting to know. Grandma says she never tried to find out more about the "bad things" and avoided thinking about it or asking any questions.

I'm going to tell more also about the time of the second world war itself, but I am making a break now hoping that more of you will tell stories about their grandparents as well. If you have any questions that you would like to ask my grandparents please let me know and I will ask them if I can.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds good.

The grandparents of my father's side aren't very interesting. I never heard anything from the past from them. However the grandparents from my mom's side are awesome. My grandma is now 85 and my grandpa was 83 when he passed away 2 years ago.

My grandpa always loved telling me stories about the second world war, because he knew I was somehow interested in history. He usually made jokes about it, like how a bomb made him bald :p But he told actual stories too. He was 16 when the war was going on and he would have had to go to army if he didn't choose to be a teacher. Because he was following a study for being a teacher he didn't have to join the army. My grandmother lived in a family with 11 other children. She didn't go to school, she had to work at home. They met when they were 15 and stayed together ever since.

My grandma often tells me these days that she finds technology amazing. She has seen the televisions coming up to what they are now. And the phones too. She can actually use a cell phone :D She's quite a modern grandma for 85, and quite bright too. The only thing that's going less well is her eye-sight, which is only 50%.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
There's actually a Grandparent's Day in the USA. :yes It's not completely recognized by everyone, but at my school, it is and I was in the choir singing for them. :yes

Now, all of my grandparents deceased when I was very little. One of my grandmother's actually died when my mom was just three years old. So I'll be honest, I really don't know THAT much about my grandparents. :p

However, I know my paternal grandfather was an officer. His family came from Yugoslavia, when Tito ruled that country that was "united" with all of these other countries.

My maternal grandfather was actually the last grandparent that I saw before he died when I was six years old. He was in the air force, so my mom and her fam had to travel around a lot because of his work. Haha, there's a funny story on one of his experiences in the Korean War. He had a bomb in his hand and blew up and not a stitch of clothing was on him! :lol

My maternal grandmother was from France, but she also spoke Polish, and WAS Polish. I think the thing was though, since she lived around the time when Nazi Germany was in power and would take over Poland, I think they escaped and spoke French, so they wouldn't have to deal with the repression of the Nazis. That's what I wonder anyway, because she was polish yet everyone spoke French in her family.

My paternal grandmother, from what I hear was someone with a huge heart, and a kind, loving spirit. She loved her kids, loved her husband, just didn't like the model boats he made. :lol She would say things like, "Those damn boats!" Interesting with her, was that she was very much western European, while her husband was completely Eastern European.

So yeah, that's the history of my grandparents. If I find out any more information, I be sure to post it here. :)

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
My grandfather has a war story of his own. He and the rest of his family lived in southern Italy during World War II, in the province of Calabria... the "toe" in the "boot" of Italy. He and his brother were walking around near the village of Candidoni, where they lived (this was in 1943, keep in mind that he was bornin 1929, so he would have been about 14), when they saw a large ground of what they thought were unexploded, dud hand grenades.

My great-uncle took on of them, thinking it was a dud, and threw it down a ravine, where it exploded. At the time, Italy was being occupied by a German army, who, along with the remaining fascists, were trying to keep out American forces who were in Sicily at the time. It turns out that there were a couple of German soldiers washing clothes in that ravine... where the grenade fell.

My grandfather and great-uncle ran to their village as fast as they could. Not long after that, the Nazis came to the village to announce that if they didn't turn in whoever threw that grenade, they would start killing people in three days. So, two days pass, and the Germans are still occupying the village. On the third day, the Germans just vanished. Not long after that, American forces came through the village, as it was on the road heading north that they were using. Surprisingly to the invading forces, the whole village cheered them.

Yes, that is really a story about my great-uncle more than my grandfather. Six years later, my grandfather himself joined the Italian merchant marine, then went on to be a quartermaster on that ship, eventually moving to Argentina first, and then the USA.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
My great grandmother was born in 1912, so she was my age during the Great Depression.  She had my grandfather when she was only 16, so she raised him through the depression.  They weren't the richest of people, but they got by.  I don't know much else.  My grandfather died awhile ago and he never really spoke of his past.  Though I do know he was a Lieutenant in the Coast Guard.  I'm guessing it was his only option since the economy was still pretty shaky.  As for my great grandmother....I don't know her very well.  She's lived in Minnesota her whole life.  She's visited Washington a few times, but I still didn't get a chance to really know her.  Now I'm in Minnesota with her and I still just can't seem to get around to knowing her. :(

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The only grandparents I've truly been close to are my maternal grandparents.  My Grandfather was a commercial artist were he created several cartoon advertisements such as the original Bertie Basset:

(NOTE:That this picture is not the original Basset..it's updated..but just incase no one knows who it is this is a general idea.)

Then my Grandad due to his diabetes had to retire.  I used to ask him a lot of questions for when he was younger.  He ran in a marathon in Liverpool (England), during World War two he was too young to fight but he remembers going to the shelters during the air raides.  

He told me stories of his mother (a russian noblewoman) who fled Russia during the Revolution.  She fled with her mother to China where she met my Great Grandfather.  

My Grandma too also remembers going to the shelters during the air raides.  She also was at the same primary school as my grandfather.  That is all I really knew of her as she didn't really enjoy talking about her family much.  And it's too late to ask her now.

On my paternal side..er..I don't know much.  Except my Grandad's elder brothers were service men during the war.  My Grandad was too young but he remembers that the war changed his elder brothers.  

I really should learn more about them as they won't be around forever.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
My great grandmother is 94 this year. Our family history started as early as 764 for our Clan in China. We lost almost everything of that but we still have a few old items that are safely guarded by my great grandma who is our elder. When WWII began she became a farmer and raised my grandmother and 7 other children.

Nothing really much to say really its difficult to understand my great grandma anyway. Today our tiny island is a city and our great grandmother resides in Tiong Bahru today.