The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"A New Journey" (based on Watership Down)

Petrie. · 334 · 24856

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
When all the mice of the chappel were gathered Cinankhen took a look at all of them gave a respectful bow to the mouse whom by his age he thought to be old Malvin. As he began to tell Cinankhen seemed to be a lot more relaxed than he had ever appeared so far and not even the noise of the thunders or the flash of the lightnings seemed to worry him at all anymore. Quite the contrary he seemed to enjoy this setting all of a sudden when he leaped on top of a large chunk of debris which he used as a pedestal and spoke up.
"Listen up my lapine friends and you our kind mousen hosts and since Frith provides tonight a loud and light and dark reminder of events long past I shall tell you the tale of how thunderstorms first came to this world. A tale of foolish conceit of some of our kind, a tale of Frith's wrath, and of of the evked in him by a prince who ever since stands as a sign of hope in Frith's skys when his wrath is fading away.
As all of my lapine friends will know and as many of you mice might have heard as well it was the lack of care for others and for the will of Frith shown by our prince El-ahrairah that had brought each kind their own strenghts and qualities. When El-ahrairah disregarded Frith's wish that he kept his people in check keeping them from eating up so much that none was left for the other animals he gave fox and weasel and owl claws and the desire to hunt our people and yours too", Cinankhen nodded to the assembled mice. "Us he gave swift legs and the advise to be cunning and full of tricks. To you he gave the small size allowing you to find protection where others won't find any, the ability to find food wherever others others won't find any, and the ability to dig your own homes and shelters much like our own kind. We both are kinds of a thousand enemies who must be cunning and full of tricks for our people to survive. We are in fact so similar that I sometimes wonder if not part of the old lore has been lost. Lore which may tell more about the relationship between mouse and rabbit kind."
Cinankhen gave a slightly embarassed smile. Apparently he had sort of wandered off his original topic.
"Anyway, the tale I want to tell you happened long after the days of El-ahrairah. In spite of all that had happened again rabbits had grown again in numbers. They formed many warrens, in the warrens they formed owslas and among the warrens they fought and disregarding all the advise and admonishments Frith had given them they even fought against other kinds which Frith had meant to be the hunter rather than the prey of rabbits. But hundreds of rabbits would bring down even a fox and the rabbits did not come by the hundreds but by the thousands and hundred thousands and numbers for which lapine language holds no word. But since they grew so powerful they grew also ever more arrogant and one day up came a leader whose name is forgotten because Frith wanted his name to be forgotten. As rabbits were overcomming every foe they had in this world and were starting to fight ever more viciously amongs each other this leader united the rabbits and put all of them under the strictest command of his owsla that would not tollerate anyone from saying, doing, thinking, or being anything that did not satisfy their nameless leader. And that leader then gave the order for rabbits to assail the one enemy they had not yet overcome to force him to bestow on them the blessings of claws and teeth he had not given them back in the days of El-ahrairah. The nameless leader wanted the rabbits to attack Frith himself in his heavens.
The nameless leader ordered the rabbit to pile up stones and wood and anything they could find on the top of a mountain to build a way up to the heavens so Frith would no longer be out of the reach of the rabbits. For the honor of our kind...", Cinankhen added this with another embarassed look, "...I must stress that by no means all of the rabbits supported this madness. Many were scared of the owsla that would kill anyone who did not follow their bidding. Some resisted anyway and many of them were killed. Some also joined other kinds and many of those who did not were just too terrified of rabbits who sometimes seem to be the worst enemies of rabbitkind.
Frith had been very patient. He had not intervened for a long time. But as he saw the pile of stones on the mountain grow ever higher, higher than the mountain itself and higher even then the clouds a great fury overcame him at this. He hid his face and sent a rain that was pouring down to cover all the land in water. He sometimes glimpsed through the clouds and the look of his bright eyes burned anything they touched and soon as he looked away his thounderous growl of anger could be heard rolling all over the sky. His looks burned away the outrageous pile of stone and wood, they burned away the nameless leader and all who remembered his name, it burned away the dreaded Owsla and many who had not been burned by Frith's look, that always fell upon that which stretched up the closest to him, were drowned in the rainfall that covered all the land except for some high mountain tops where everyone who was on them was exposed to Frith's flashing looks. So great was Frith's anger that he might have destroyed all there was on this world making no difference at all anymore.
But all this saw a prince and son of Frith and he begged for his father to stop and this prince cried over the fate of so much that had been destroyed. There suddenly Frith was ashamed of the destruction he had caused he showed his face to the earth again and what rain still fell from the sky where but the tears of Frith and his son. Frith then sent the prince to the earth carrying his tears as well as his light to show all the colors of Frith in the sky as a sign of hope and reconciliation to all those who were huddled on the mountaintops that had become islands in the now decreasing flood. The prince drew the colors of Frith all over the sky in a huge arch giving back hope to all those who had lost hope and showing them that Frith's wrath was over. Ever since the merciful prince has been the friend of all who live on the earth and has always mitigated the anger of his father. And ever since this prince has been known by the name Prince Rainbow."

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Neltita listened intently to Cinankhen's story. He was a good storyteller, probably one of the best she had ever met. On the other hand, she had never heard that one particular story, even though storytellers back in Greenweed Warren had known many. It was a disturbing story, especially since Neltita knew deep in her heart that most of what Cinankhen was telling, had really happened. This nameless leader's lust for power and will to dominate all living creatures was greatly unsetting, but what really terrified Neltita was Frith's wrath. When he couldn't make El-ahrairah to control his people,  Frith found a simple, yet brilliant solution to bring balance to the world. He had not tried to destroy everything, even though he had been angered greatly by Prince Rabbit defiance. In this story, however, he had killed so many, innocent and guilty alike. Neltita had never presumed she was better or wiser than Frith, but right now she couldn't help but think that what he had done was absolutely wrong.

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cinankhen was looking at the assembled listeners and as if to confirm that the story was over and at the same time end it on a positive note he added:
"And never since I heard this story for the first time have I seen a rainbow without feeling that there is something good in this world and that even after the harshest time there will always be a better time to come."

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The mouse called Old Malvin cleared his throat and spoke, "Well said, Mister Rabbit. Never a truer words were spoken here. We had our own hardships and great tragedies, but no matter how hopeless our situation was, we still managed to survive. It gives me comfort to see how many children is being born in these days, to know that long, long after my time there will still be life in this place."
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"So it is", confirmed Chinankhen with a slight bow towards the old mouse.
"But speaking of tragedies, Dana told that you were here to see what befell this human place. Can you share what you heard and saw with us?"

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Old mouse shook his head with apologetic look on his muzzle, "Forgive me, Mister Rabbit, but it is one dreadful tale. For us, mice, at least. Maybe you would like to listen to something less tragic?"

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"To me was left the choice of which tale I would tell to you. It is only fair if you master Malvin enjoy the same freedom" Chinankhen responded courteously.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Old Malvin thought for a moment and spoke, "I could tell you about a time when I first met one of your kind, Mister Ra..." he stopped, realizing that calling Cinankhen 'Mister Rabbit' might be rude. However, Malvin hadn't been around when rabbits had been introduced, so he didn't know their names. Now he was quite embarrassed, that he hadn't asked earlier. Seeing his uneasiness, Meadra whispered to him quickly the names of rabbits. After that, Old Malvin continued as if nothing had happened:

"So, dear friends. Would you like to hear that story?"

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cinankhen nodded eagerly. He didn't seem to have noticed the incomplete address or found anything impolite about it.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Arvens nudged Rankin gently to wake him up. He reckoned that his friend wouldn't want to be completly left out of listening to stories.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Rankin felt Arvens nudges and slowly woke up. He didn't know what they were doing, but he didn't question.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Seeing that he had their all attention, Old Malvin begun his tale. His voice was hoarse and after speaking longer sentences, he needed to rest for a second or two. This clearly showed how old he was and yet one could see that, despite his age and tiredness, he was happy to have a honour to tell the story to this audience. Dara had been right: Malvin did like talking about past.

“Friends. I will tell you about the event that happened before the great fire, when humans still used to visit this building. I was a young mouse back then, even though some of you may find it hard to imagine me as anything but old. It was a summer day. I and two other mice, Marta and Rick, was exploring the woods near this chapel, enjoying the morning. After some time, we came across a cage. It surprised us greatly, as we hadn’t seen something like that in midlle of woods before, but we were even more surprised by what was inside the cage. A living creature. It looked very much like you and your friends, Cinankhen, but at the time we had only a vague idea what it could be. It was Rick, who remembered what his mother had told him about animals different from our own kind and he stated that creature in cage was a rabbit. But what was it doing inside the cage in this place, we wondered. Cage was a man’s thing, so maybe it belonged to some human? Eventually, we got our courage up and we approached the rabbit. We talked and it turned out that the cage had fallen on her (as it was female rabbit), trapping her inside. We decided to help her get out, as woodland’s creature should help each other, shouldn’t they? However, it was easier said than done, as we couldn’t bite through grating. Lifting this cage was out of the question too, as it was simply too heavy for us all.”

Old Malvin stopped to rest a bit and gather his memories of that day.

“For some time we were thinking how to get that rabbit out of the cage, but all methods required more strength than three mice and a rabbit could possess. Then, I got one idea and I said to my others: maybe we could get our human to help us? At that time, there was a man, who was visiting this place almost daily. What a good fellow he was! He understood how hard it is for us sometimes to simply survive and he always left something in chapel for us to eat. Always. Well… Maybe he didn’t know best what our preferences are, but it is a thought that counts, right? Anyway, we had run back quickly and we saw that our human was just leaving the chapel. The problem was, as you’ve surely gathered, how to make him follow us to the cage? The time was running out, as man closed the door and as was in habit he took out some small metal, shining thing with a string attached to it and he begun whispering something incomprehensible. We were all thinking how to get his attention, when suddenly Marta darted towards the human and run between his feet. That surprised our human greatly, which was a bit silly if you think of it. How in the world, a small mouse could scare a human so much, that he jumped up and dropped this metal thing he had been holding? Yet he did and as soon as that thing touched the ground, Marta grabbed it with her muzzle and run towards tree line. Everybody was absolutely taken aback by this action, not excluding our human, but he quickly snapped out of the shock and began pursuit. Some unusual chase, that was. What a shame you couldn’t see it!” Malvin said with sparkles of amusement in his eyes “I guess that our human was past his prime, as he became quite tired by the end of the chase, which stopped right next to the trapped rabbit. Marta dropped stolen thing then and there and leapt to nearby bush. As soon as he saw a cage, our human lifted it up and our new friend could regain her freedom. A happy ending.”

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cinankhen was goggling at Malvin. He opened and closed his mouth a few times before finding back to his composure. "That was a great tale and one to..." he seemed to have forgotten how he had intended to finish his sentence.
"Marta... actually took something from a human. Before that very human's eyes?" his voice was one of incredulous awe.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Old Malvin chuckled at disbelief "She did. Even before that she had been quite daring, but she excelled herself by stealing human's thing. I have to admit it was very reckless, but in the end it turned out to be a splendid idea."

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"And this thing she took from the human, do you have any idea what it was? Why was he talking to it? You said that she stole other human things? Would that be things which the humans don't leave lying around all the time? Do you have any idea about what some of the things are for? And did the human never do anything about the thing Marta stole? And the rabbit what happened to her? And..." Cinankhen broke off realizing that already these had been quite a few questions.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"I am not sure, Cinankhen. Our human often talked to himself while holding this thing. Sometimes he spoke to other thing, which was as big as his hand and it made it's own sound, it's own voice, I think. As for rabbit, she run away deeper into the woods and since that event me and other mice saw her and we talked with her a few times. Not recently though. As for... er... What were your other questions?" Malvin asked. Cinankhen had asked so many questions at once, while Malvin's mind wasn't as fit as when he was young, so the mouse had simply forgotten some of rabbit's queries.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Did you see more from humans? More things from them? What they do and how they act?" Cinankhen forced himself to leave the questions at that until aftere these were answered.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Before the fire there had been many things in here, but they were destroyed by flames or taken away by humans afterwards. Most of them didn't seem to have any use, other than to be here and look pretty," Malvin answered "On the other hand, there were items that apparently were held in high esteem by humans, as they took great care of picking them up after big fire."

Arvens had listened intently to both stories, which had been quite interesting, but now he was again concerned for Rankin's health.

"Thyme, could you replace me on guard duty? Thank you," he said to gray buck, hopping towards Rankin, to inspect his injured paw. "How are you, Rankin. Still holding up?" he asked.

Thyme assumed right position to observe the entrance to chapel. It was still raining outside and he thought with satisfaction, that the weasel must be getting pretty soaked.

---

"Damn this rain!" Whitetail thought, observing the ruined bulding from under the bush, which was a poor protection against the thousands drops of water falling from the sky. He could just hope that rabbits won't use the cover of the storm to slip away unnoticed, since it would be very difficult to find them in all this rain.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Rankin looked at arvens then back at his leg. He flexed it, and stood up a little. The pain wasn't there like it was before.

"I'm feeling a lot better Arvens. I'm just worried about the weasel. I don't want him holding us off in this place, because knowing him, he's probably nearby. Just an assumption."

Rankin's obsession with the weasel was starting to build.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Dara's brows furrowed, as she she heard the talk about weasel, "Wait. Are you saying that this predator could have followed you here? I thought you drove it off."