The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Thoughts on LBT 4.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I'm typically not a big shipper myself, yet I just love the idea of Littlefoot meeting a female longneck around his age. It was an interesting dynamic because all of Littlefoot's friends so far are different species, yet here he finally has a playmate who's a longneck just like him. And I liked her personality too; she had a shy yet more openly playful side to her. She also contrasted nicely from Cera. I really wanted to see more of her.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
One of my favorites, for certain. As a child though I was not really fond of it, but after watching it again as an adult I can honestly say that I was pretty dumb-dumb in my youth. How could I've ever disliked this film?  :DD For Ali, though, while I like to make fun with her (sometimes), she's really not one of my favorites.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Perhaps the reason I didn't care for Ozzy and Strut was because I found them too jarring a contrast, coming on the heels of the menacing Sharptooth from the first movie. Whereas by the time I made it to the fourth movie, I was more used to the idea of comedic villains. Although I still think Ichy and Dil were more well-done in that regard anyway.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I've read what some of the other reviews said here, and I actually agree that this film is the best sequel I've watched (so far at least). I thoroughly enjoyed the fourth installment of LBT in its entirety. I liked how this sequel has the concept of death like the first movie, as with the very ill Grandpa Longneck. Littlefoot is horrified by the prospect of this obviously, but this leads us into a very beautiful lullaby by Grandma Longneck about The Circle of Life, an excellent lesson for children. It reminds me of The Lion King, another movie I like. The introduction of Ali as a new "girlfriend" to Littlefoot is quite fun and adorable in my opinion, although I did groan at the fact that she was also a bit racist just like the dinosaurs in the first movie. It didn't affect my opinion of her too much, because I knew her perspective would change later on, and it did. This leads us into our next lesson for the movie, and that's the embracing of other races, or in this case other species. It talks about diversity being a good thing that makes the planet not boring and dull. The song, It Takes All Sorts illustrates it perfectly.

If there's one thing I don't particularly like about the movie, it's how Grandma Longneck keeps telling Littlefoot that he should let nature run its course, that getting the night flower is too dangerous. I cringed at that. Sure, I understand the journey may be dangerous, and sure, Grandpa Longneck is already pretty old, but wouldn't you want to save a loved one that you know still has a fighting chance? Why give up on him so easily? If Littlefoot and his friends obeyed his grandmother, Grandpa wouldn't be alive today, and Littlefoot would have to mourn over another dead body. Since Grandma Longneck knew that he wouldn't survive without the night flower, and that she and the other adults wouldn't dare go to the Land of Mists themselves, why try and keep him alive? Why not go for a merciful kill? So many questions, I know, I know. Even though Littlefoot and his friends go off into danger too often and defy authority like always, which may give off a bad lesson for children, I honestly don't blame them.

Anyways, lets move on from that morbid subject. Now, this movie introduces more characters that I liked upon their first appearance. One of those characters is a sea turtle named Archie. His voice hooked me in, and his character reminds me of an old wise guy who has experienced a lot in his lifetime, all of which actually applies to him. He had a good role of saving Littlefoot from a belly dragger and sharp beak, also new characters which I will go more in depth of later on. I like his heroism in the scene where he shields Littlefoot from those predators, obviously having nothing to lose in his ripe age. Luckily though Littlefoot's friends saved both of them and escaped unharmed. Before departing, he tells the gang of the shortcut to The Land of Mists, crucial for the survival of Grandpa Longneck, as time is of the essence.

Ichy and Dil, the sharp beak and belly dragger in this movie. I didn't really know what to expect of them at first until I saw their character interaction. It was very fun and adorable to be honest, like a playful banter between friends, or a "bickering married couple" like Stardust mentioned already. Even though it seems like they have strong hate for each other, deep inside they actually care for each other. Of course, I enjoyed their little tune known as Who Needs You? But yeah, one action that Dil did during the chase with the GOF proves he cares for Dil. When he accidentally catches Ichy in his jaws, thinking it was Ducky, an expression of regret and sympathy was on the belly dragger upon hearing Ichy begging to not swallow him. Sadly though, they split up at the end because of their arguing. Sigh, they couldn't make a good team together.

Lastly, we have Tickles, the first mammal character that the GOF befriends. He's adorable and I've taken a liking to him upon first appearance as well. He's also very brave and intelligent too, as shown when he brings Dil's tail towards Ichy's mouth. Nothing else to say about him, although I'll miss the little guy very much.

It's a long review, but I like to tackle each and every important aspect of the movie while explaining my thoughts in full detail. Although, I hope I wasn't too redundant with any statements I've made. :)

My final assessment?
9/10

As a side note, I'll have to rewatch LBT 2 and LBT 5 sometime in the future...Let's see how they fare with a more critical analysis. Watching a movie/show for fun is different from watching something with a focused intent. As for LBT 1, I think I've expressed my thoughts enough on that already. :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@ImpracticalDino: Nice review. I was looking forward to this and I enjoyed seeing your thoughts. And don't worry, I didn't think you were being redundant at any point.

Nice to see someone else who enjoyed Ichy and Dil. I do, however, agree with what you said in that the adults seemed to give up too easily and seemed too resigned to the fact that Grandpa Longneck couldn't be saved because it was just "too dangerous." Although I do think there may have been some merit behind that sentiment. Perhaps the migrating longnecks actually had some casualties in the Land of Mists? If so, then it would've made sense why they wouldn't want to go back there, and it could've led to an interesting "needs of the many vs. the needs of the few" dilemma about whether or not to risk trying to save Grandpa Longneck.

But unfortunately, that aspect wasn't fleshed out well in the film proper and instead it made the adults seem a bit uncaring. Thus, it seemed to be there to engineer a scenario where the kids go off on their own adventure to save the day. Whereas the first film had a really good reason for why they were on their own, in the sequels it becomes a recurring theme where they just run off behind the adults' backs. The seventh film has a particularly silly instance of this. :p

Overall, having watched up to the 11th film now, I still regard this as one of the best sequels. :!

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@StardustSoldier
I agree, perhaps if the writers were more transparent about that dilemma, I wouldn't have been so harsh on that particular scene in the movie. And yeah, I had a feeling that the kids going on their own adventure would be a recurring theme. :p

I'm wondering, what do you think of Archie and Tickles as characters? Did you like them at first sight or not? Did your views of them change at all during or after the movie?

Thanks for reading my review by the way! I appreciate it. :D
LBT 6 is next on my list, so stay tuned for that! :)

Edit: Have you read my review on LBT 3 yet? If not, you can find it here.

I'm also curious how my review of the 13th movie would actually turn out once I get to that point.

Will I infuriate everyone with my high praise, or will I think the movie lives up to its infamous reputation? Stay tuned to find out!
By the way, I'm using that italic sentence again when I'm one review away from the 13th one. ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:46:11 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There's more one thing I'd like to add regarding this sequel which nobody else has mentioned here for some reason. I thought it was very heartwarming to see Spike have his first ever dialogue spoken, even if it's just one word.

"Ducky!"

It was during the scene where Ichy & Dil were chasing the GOF near a river, and Ducky was in danger of being eaten by Dil. It really shows the strong sibling bond that they both possess and how much they care for each other. In order to have a character speak a word when he isn't supposed to, just speaks volumes about how dire the situation is. That's another reason why I praise this film highly. :)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@ImpracticalDino: Tickles was cute, but to me he felt kinda unnecessary. I don't think he hurt the film per say, but I don't think he added anything either and could've been removed easily. I did like Archie though. He reminded me somewhat of Rooter from the first film.

Yes, I did see your LBT 3 review. I enjoyed reading that as well. It's interesting that you and I have had fairly similar views on the films so far.

I too am curious to see how you'll feel about the 13th film. For that matter, I'm curious to see what I'll think of it as well. I still haven't seen it yet, but I'm getting close. I only have #12 left, and then #13 and #14, as well as the TV series. On that note, did you ever see any episodes of the TV series? Or was it just the first, second, and fifth films you saw?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@StardustSoldier
Contrary to what you may believe, I actually watched the entire LBT series before watching any of the movies! I don't really have any feelings towards it honestly. I don't like it that much, but I wouldn't mind watching it on any pastime. It's still pretty enjoyable in my opinion. :)

I agree with your points on Tickles, though it did made me enjoy the film a bit more though. :)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Interesting. I did not know that you'd seen the TV series before anything else. Since you didn't care much for it, what was it that compelled you to check out the movies?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I knew about the movies, but I decided to watch the TV series first because it was more convenient and accessible for me at the time, especially since all the episodes are on YouTube. I would watch like two episodes a night on weekdays as a relaxing activity to do before I go to school the next morning. I looked forward to that every night, I did, I did! :D

After that, there wasn't much else to do besides check out the movies, so that's exactly what I did. :)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I see. Was there anything in particular that attracted you to the LBT franchise in the first place? :)

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Not really. One day on YouTube I was watching videos like normal, when an episode of it happens to be on the side of the page in the list of videos. What interested me was the fact that it was a children's show with dinosaurs in it. I'm like, "Hmm...interesting!" The visuals in the thumbnail looked pretty good as well. The second thing I notice is the title, The Land Before Time. Now, that really peaked my curiosity. After clicking on that video...well the rest is history. Doing more research after that, I discovered that the franchise is much larger than I could imagine. I couldn't believe that there were 14 movies! So yeah, I was hooked with TLBT ever since. This is a show I'll never forget, guaranteed. :smile

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
On a related note, as of today I have watched all fourteen films. Now I can share my thoughts in the sequels ranking thread.
:duckyhappy

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nice! :^^spike

Since I've only watched less than half of the sequels, I'll hold off on looking at your thoughts until the deed is done.
Unfortunately, I've finally decided that this week is where I actually dedicate my time to doing my four summer assignments and stop procrastinating (to the best of my ability). So my endeavors for watching the rest of the movies will be delayed until further notice. But after that, I'll have all the free time in the world. :)

It's really fun and interesting to have these conversations with you, StardustSoldier. Thank you for that, I appreciate it. :smile

Oh, before I forget, do you still consider the 4th movie as the best sequel?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:40:37 PM by ImpracticalDino »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Aww, thanks! I enjoy our conversations as well.

It's probably a tie between the 4th movie and The Great Longneck Migration (#10) as my favourite sequel. After that would probably be either The Time of the Great Giving (#3) and/or The Mysterious Island (#5).

Good luck on your summer assignments. When are they due?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm...I see. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out a definite top choice.

My summer assignments are due in September, with two of them on the day I return, and two of them on the Friday of that first week. I have a huge amount of time to do them obviously, but I'm not going to stress myself out by waiting until the last second! Oh, no, no, no! :P

Now that I've asked you what the best sequel was in your opinion, what's the worst sequel?

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll sort the films into a more definite list when I do up my "sequels personal ranking" post.

As for the worst sequel, not a particularly original answer, but... The Wisdom of Friends, no doubt. Although I didn't think it was full-on terrible. There were a few bright spots, and I have certainly seen worse movies in my life. But yeah, definitely a low point for the LBT franchise. Granted, I didn't go into that one with very high expectations, so it wasn't the most "disappointing" for me. That honour would go to Journey of the Brave (#14).

I still want to see the TV series, but that'll come later.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:10:04 PM by StardustSoldier »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I should've known it would be that sequel. :rolleyes

Hmm...for the most disappointing sequel, were you expecting something much better than The Wisdom of Friends, only to be greeted by a movie that is slightly better? Was it something else? This is the last question I'll probably ask as I don't want to dive into too much detail.

I'd be very intrigued to see your opinion of the TV series. Looking forward to it! :)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll save my more detailed thoughts for the ranking thread. But it was essentially that, yeah, I was hoping the fourteenth and final film would be a good send-off for the series, yet I only found it to be a mild improvement over Wisdom of Friends. Which is interesting, because I have seen quite a few fans rank Journey of the Brave as one of the stronger sequels and a good return-to-form, but I guess that only added to my own disappointment when I ended up seeing it.

More generally, while film #10 is among my favourites, for the most part I preferred the earlier sequels to the later ones.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:28:19 PM by StardustSoldier »