The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the dragon

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
You all were probably wondering if I might write something like this, and well, here
it is.

Of all the mythical/legendary creatures that is known, who could deny the influence and grandeur of the dragon?

The dragon, whether Western or Eastern, has become more than just a mythical creature- it’s essentially a part of our culture and fantasy. The word “dragon” comes from the Latin word "draconem" which means "huge serpent". The Chinese word for dragon is "long".
Our imagination has been captivated by the dragon for millennia. The dragon is the most widespread legendary creature featured in fantasy genres and all thing mythical. At times, it seems like the dragon is a major symbol in our culture, which often it is. You can find dragons in fantasy books, movies, video games, and toys.                                                                                                                                              There are different ideas about dragons in different cultures, but the two most well-known types of dragons are the Western/European dragon, and the Eastern dragon. While China is typically the eastern country that comes to mind about dragons, the Japanese have also incorporated dragons in their culture.

Dragons have enjoyed their legendary status and symbols, and we will discuss what they symbolize and represent. For both Western and Eastern dragons, they symbolize power and grandeur. While dragons in European folklore have traditionally been thought of as evil and malevolent creatures, as well as symbolizing sin and greed in traditional Christianity, the Asians consider them to be benevolent, as well as wise. Also, while the Western dragon is known for breathing fire, the Eastern dragon is associated with rain and water in Asian cultures.
Of course, there is evidence for how the myth of the dragon originated. Dinosaur bones and fossils could certainly have been discovered and could have inspired the idea of dragons, especially in China, where in ancient times dinosaur bones were thought to be those of dragons. Also, further study has been shown that the dragon combines different animals around the world, including the crocodile, snake, and eagle. The dragon is reptilian in appearance, but could be a product of humanity’s fear and fascination for predatory animals.
To me, dinosaurs are almost like real-life dragons. If I were to draw a dragon and make it look believable, I would incorporate features from dinosaurs and several modern animals. I’d give its jaw that of a crocodilian look, make its snout like that of a T.rex or other carnivorous dinosaur, make its feet resemble that of therapods, and give it my own features.

Recently in Western media, dragons have become increasingly depicted in positive
terms. Take "How To Train Your Dragon" for example. To me, a dragon can be either
benevolent or neutral, but the only dangerous dragons are those which, like real animals,
do not like those attacking it or invading its territory.

Well, how about you? How do you feel about dragons? Let me know in the replies/comments.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love reading about mythical creatures like dragons. They're very fun to learn about and find information on. They're my favorite fantasy creatures ever. I've seen a couple of documentaries about dragons and they where very awesome to watch I really enjoyed them quite a lot.

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 6 2017 on  06:57 PM
I love reading about mythical creatures like dragons. They're very fun to learn about and find information on. They're my favorite fantasy creatures ever. I've seen a couple of documentaries about dragons and they where very awesome to watch I really enjoyed them quite a lot.
Same here! And to me dinosaurs are like real-life dragons.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
And now we have a animated franchise how to train your dragon witch amazing and very enjoyable and good. Good characters and a great awesome storyline.