The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Swimmer Trials

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, swift currents can especially be terrifying.  I was once swept down a river...thank heaven I know how to self-rescue.  That could've been really bad.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Whoa, finally getting around to catch up with the story.

Review of chapter 21:

I think you've portraited Chomper's inner struggle excellently. Ruby's story from her past really adds some depth to her character and also shows that Ruby's been through a lot in the past. I particularly enjoyed this chapter :yes

Review of chapter 22:

Wow, that was some eventful chapter :wow
Sculra got away for now... these earthshakes always seem to strike at the wrong moment, haha :D Ozzy and Strut failed their job too so I guess that's a tie. Beither Ruphus' nor Sculra's plans worked after all :)

Review of Chapter 23:

Sura sure is hard on herself. The injury could have killed her.
And the scene with Ducky hatching was really cute :)

Review of Chapter 24:

Wow, that was sad. I honestly thought that Sura really died and it sure would've complicated things but this mysterious Swimmer (presumably the swimmer Sura told Ducky to look for) might be able to save her. Very, very emotional and well done.
It was also nice to see Ducky meet Tippy although the deputy hurt Sura (man, she's taking a lot lately :o)
Inactive, probably forever.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reviews Ducky. It's nice to see you back again :yes

Sura certainly is taking a lot of trouble and you will find out more about the unknown Swimmer in the next chapter. The last scene where Sura appeared to be on her death bed certainly was emotional, I based it off the scene where Littlefoot's mother died. Except that Sura still appears to be alive at the present moment.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 32: Dangerous Waters

The rest of the week went considerably well for Ducky. Within three days she was able to use her sniffer effectively underwater.

On the second day of training Cyrest followed the same procedure as he had the previous day except he did it in fresh water. He started off with giving Ducky the objects that she already knew the scents of and placed them underwater at a close proximity to Ducky who would then sniff the object until she could describe it's scent accurately.

Ducky would repeat this a few times for the same object but Cyrest would move the object further away each time until it was a long distance away from her. Once she was able to sniff the object successfully then she would move on to the next object.

Cyrest made Ducky sniff almost everything that she had sniffed on the previous day and when that was all done he placed a water plant in the water that was concealed under some rocks at the bottom of the river, a fair distance away from where Ducky would start.

Ducky successfully completed this skill and the next day Cyrest made her do the same thing except in salt water. It proved way more tricky for Ducky as the salty water stung her nose but in spite of that, by the end of the day she could use her sniffer just as effectively in salt water as she could in fresh water.

Sura was overjoyed to hear that her daughter was mastering the wisdoms and was well on the way to recovery. She could walk all the way to the shore without tiring herself now. Jane grew to like her company in Ducky's absence and like any hatchling, was constantly seeking Sura's attention.

However on the fourth day Cyrest had something different in mind for Ducky but he was not sure if it would work. He wanted to teach her how to survive in rapids, understand the currents and how to break out of rips. But this training was way more dangerous then what he had previously taught Ducky. He knew that one mistake on his or her part could result in disaster for them both.

He wrestled with his thoughts all the previous day in an attempt to find the right course of action. "Ducky is a fine young Swimmer but I might be placing too much on her, too early" He thought to himself.

Cyrest also remembered Sura's warning about how Ducky had reacted when she failed the wisdoms the first time and that was the last thing that he wanted right now but he also had a limited time before The Swimmer Trials began and if Ducky mastered this then the rest of the training would pass easily.

Also he thought what Sura would do if any harm came to her daughter, she would probably blame him for any misfortunes that befell Ducky during her training. He did not want this, he liked Sura and was determined to remain in her good books. He concurred that he would take up the issue with Sura and if she agreed then he would go ahead.

So on the third night after he had made sure that both Ducky and Jane were asleep he settled down beside Sura and began a talk with her.

"Sura?" he asked in an uncertain voice.

Sura gave him a tired look as she was just about to call it a day but she acknowledged him nonetheless. "Yes Cyrest" she replied in a tired but compassionate voice.

Cyrest took a deep breath as he prepared to explain his plan for Ducky.
"I am thinking of teaching Ducky the ways of current survival and navigation" he said. Sura had a pondering look on her face after he said this. "I wish your approval in allowing the training to take place in the nearby rapids". he said, he knew tha Sura would not like it and as if to confirm these thoughts, Sura's face took on a look of disbelief.

"Why?" she asked "Why the rapids? It is too dangerous for a young one to swim in those, isn't there a safer way?"

"Yeah and the Trial of Destiny is as safe as a swim in a pond" said Cyrest infusing every word with sarcasm before turning back to a serious voice. "I think that it is best for Ducky to learn the wisdoms and master them in scenarios similar to that of the Trial. I mean if she were successful in mastering the wisdoms in pressured situations then it will increase her chances of surviving the Trial after all the Trial is not exactly a peaceful day in the water, it's in fact a stormy sea. So by teaching Ducky the wisdoms in choppy waters I believe it will help prepare her for the Trial" he said.

Sura looked dismayed, she spoke in a voice full of worry and concern to Cyrest "But you can't guarantee my daughter's safety. I don't want to lose her and what if something should happen that makes the storm fall on Ducky? I tried the same thing, I pushed Ducky with the belief that she could master the skills that I threw at her but I had too high belief that my little one could handle it and I was wrong. Ducky ran away and ended up trapped in a cave without any food for three days and upon her return she was attacked by Sculra. I do not want that to happen again" said Sura.

"Sura" said Cyrest insistently "I'm worried for Ducky too but it is still better to try applying the learning to the actual situations. Will you allow this?" he asked.

Sura was quiet for some time after that and finally after a long silence she spoke up "give me until tomorrow then I should hopefully know what to do but right now I need to think but I still do not want to risk Ducky's life for a foolhardy reason" she said before turning away from Cyrest.

Cyrest got up and walked back to his sleeping spot, hoping that Sura would see things his way.

Now however on the morning of the forth day in the early morning Sura had given her answer to Cyrest. She would allow him to train Ducky but only if she was present at the training session and that he gave his word that he would look after Ducky and protect her from harm.

It is easy for anyone to give their word on something but way harder to hold it but Cyrest meant what he said. He also happened to like Ducky, this made it all the easier to comply with Sura's terms.

"Okay Sura, I promise that I will not let Ducky come to harm during her training" said Cyrest.

Sura nodded grimly and got up shakily on her two legs. She then took slow short steps, using her tail to keep herself balanced as she slowly waked over to wake Ducky with a nudge from her beak.

Ducky stirred and eventually woke up with a long yawn. She opened her eyes and looked up at her mother who was in the process of rousing Jane. Ducky got up and walked over to the spring where she took a short drink and to take a few leaves back to the nest for her and Jane to eat.

Jane squeaked excitedly when she saw Ducky return with the leaves in her hands and when they were placed on the ground they both hungrily dug into their breakfast. When they had finished Sura directly addressed Ducky.

"Ducky dear" she said. Ducky looked at her mother with a mouthful of leaves. Sura chuckled and waited for her daughter to finish her meal. When Ducky finally swallowed her meal, she politely inquired what her mother had to say.

"Ducky, I will come with you today to watch you train" she said calmly.

Ducky looked joyed to have her mother come and watch her train but that look was quickly replaced with one of anxious concern. "Are you sure you are well enough for this?" she asked.

Sura nodded. "I am feeling much better dear and now I am certainly well enough to come with you. I will take Jane and we will watch" said Sura in a reassuring voice.

Cyrest spoke next. His voice was deeper and sounded very grim and strict. "Now Ducky" he said "we will be training in the river rapids today in order to help you muster the wisdom of current survival and navigation".

Ducky looked a little nervous when Cyrest said that she would be training in the rapids, she remembered all to well the last time her mother tried to teach her that particular wisdom and did not feel confident about doing it in rapids.

Cyrest continued "The training we will do is very dangerous Ducky so in order to prevent you coming to harm you must listen very closely to me when I tell you how to survive the rapids, do you understand little one?" he asked.

Ducky nodded "I understand I do I do" she said.

Cyrest nodded "Well then let's get going" he said calmly. Sura lifted Jane into her arms and followed Cyrest as he exited the cave with Ducky walking beside her mother.

The trio followed some distance behind Cyrest, who was preoccupied in looking ahead for any Sharpteeth. That was when Ducky voiced something that had been troubling her ever since she met Cyrest. "Mama?" she asked.

Her mother looked down at her daughter and lowered her right hand to the ground. Ducky jumped onto the open palm of Sura's hand and was lifted up to Sura's eye level. "Yes dear?" she asked in her compassionate voice.

"There is something I don't understand" she whispered softly.

Sura could tell that Ducky wanted to keep this conversation to themselves. "What is it dear" she asked with general concern.

"Well..." said Ducky slowly as if she was trying to remember something. "You said that those who succeed in the Trial become the next herd leader when they grow up"      

Sura nodded " Yes dear I did." she said calmly.

"Well, then if Cyrest did succeed in the Trial then why does he live alone in a cave?" she asked.

Sura raised her head in surprise, she had not thought about that. "How could I not notice?" she thought in alarm to herself. She felt the cold chill of fear run up her spine. She shivered. "Why would he be alone? If he has completed the Trial, then why isn't he with a herd?" Sura felt very nervous now. She had been so preoccupied in recent weeks with her injury that she had not considered that question. Perhaps this Swimmer was not even Cyrest but a fake.

"But if he is a fake then he is a kind one, he helped save me. But what if he hurts Ducky?" a distressed part of her mind thought. But another part of her mind thought differently "he promised not to hurt Ducky, surly he would not break his word" she thought. Sura looked ahead at Cyrest, she resolved that she would watch him very closely this training session and talk about to him as soon as she could. Sura felt like she had enough of dangers for a while.

"Mama?" asked Ducky uncertainly, interrupting her mother's train of thought.

"I don't know dear" came Sura's thoughtful reply "but I will find out soon" she thought as they headed for the river.

The small company of Swimmers reached the river right as the rapids began. Sura observed that the rapids were easily navigate able to an adult but would provide a challenge for a youngling. The river was indeed very fast and wide. But it was also filled with large rocks and appeared to be rather deep.

"Perhaps this isn't as bad as I thought" said a hopeful voice in Sura's mind, that tried to keep her in a calm mood but she still resolved to keep a good eye on this place and on Cyrest, she would prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  

Cyrest came to a stop at the river bank beneath some tall trees that provided adequate shade from the heat of the day.

"Ducky" he called.

Ducky walked up to Cyrest and stood attentively in front of him. "Now Ducky your mother has already told me that you understand how currents work but their is a difference in understanding how to do something and actually doing it" he said in a loud, clear voice as he wanted Ducky to really hear and understand what he was saying. "Do you know how to spot where the current goes?" he asked.

Ducky shook her head. "No I do not oh no no no" she said.

"Well then you must learn to feel where the water makes contact with body. The current usually sends a bit of water ahead of the main force and that's what you feel for. Because that water tells you where the current is coming from by the direction it touches you and it also tells you how strong the current is by the strength it hits. It is vital that you use the little time between the first current and the main current wisely. In that time the first thing you need to know is whether the current is to strong for you to handle" explained Cyrest.

Ducky listened closely to Cyrest's words, she was determined not to let her mother down.

"The way you get out of a current" continued Cyrest "is by waiting for a change or weakness in the current once you detect it you have to quickly decide whether or not to take the opportunity because you only have a few moments before the current becomes steady again, Do you understand?" he asked.

Ducky nodded and repeated all that Cyrest explained.

Cyrest smiled "come on then". He then led Ducky and her mother down stream towards where it met sea. Once they passed where the rapids ended the river became calmer. Cyrest walked into the water and mentioned for Ducky to follow him.

He then gave Ducky a few drills in the shallow water. The first thing that he did was to go upstream and hold onto a rock and began kicking fiercely. Ducky was given the task of battling the current caused by Cyrest's kicking. Ducky had to push her physical limits to get to Cyrest and by the time she got to the rock she was exhausted. She felt awfully light headed after that swim and her legs were burning as if they were on fire, her breath came in deep gasps.

Sura placed a few tree stars beside Ducky on the rock so that she may replenish her lost energy. Ducky accepted these gratefully and began eating the tree stars.

Sura meanwhile was laying in the shallow water, bathing Jane who was splashing happily around in the water and laughing happily. Sura kept a close eye on Jane and on Ducky's lesson.

When Ducky had cooled down from her intense swim Cyrest approached her. "Well Ducky, you now know you limits, now you know what currents that you can directly battle against" he said.

Ducky nodded. She was still to tired to speak.

The next exercise was a joined effort between Sura and Cyrest. Sura began by holding Ducky in the water. Ducky had her eyes closed for this exercise. Cyrset then made waves with is hands at varying decrees of strength and direction and asked Ducky to identify which direction they came from. Ducky found this very easy, her confidence rose greatly but what Cyrest had next in mind for her reduced that confidence.

Cyrest began giving Ducky a few different scenarios about currents. Some involving rocks next to her, some involved getting out of different tight spots that the current forced her into. Cyrest tried to think of possible situations that she might face in the presence of currents. Ducky was only partially successful in this exercise. By the time she had finished The Bright Circle had begun it's decent but Cyrest was not finished yet. He took Ducky back to the rapids.

"Ducky" said Cyrest "you have mastered this wisdom and now you must put your new knowledge to the test here" he gestured to the rapids. Ducky looked very nervous. "Your task is to get through the rapids" he said.

Ducky eyed the rapids with distaste. She felt the chill of fear run up her spine. She had never dared to set foot in such fast water before, not willingly anyway. "I am going to be sick" thought Ducky as she looked at the rapids and unconsciously backed away in fear.

"Enough of this Cyrest".

Ducky turned to the sound of the voice and saw her mother. glaring at Cyrest. "This is to dangerous" she said. Ducky agreed with her mother at this point.

"You agreed" said Cyrest accusingly to Sura who looked down ashamed. "How will Ducky be ready for the Trial if you keep babying her like this?" he asked.

"Excuse me!?" said Sura in shock "I'm not the one who bragged that his son could take the Trial and then was heart broken to see the river run red with his blood" she said in rebuke.

Cyrest glared at her furiously. "At least it is not my son that is in danger this time" he said.

Jane looked between the adults with a frightened expression as did Ducky.
"Please stop it!" she cried but her words fell on death ears.

"What is that supposed to mean!? shouted Sura "you promised you would look after Ducky or does your word mean nothing? How can I even trust you? You live in a cave with no herd. How do I know that you don't mean any harm to me or my daughter!?" The two Swimmers began to circle each other, they were on the verge of a fight.

"My word means a lot to me!" yelled Cyrest "something I don't expect a reckless hatchling like you to understand!"

"Why you-!" Sura yelled in fury.

SPLASH!

The two Swimmers turned when they heard the sound. Jane was by the water's edge looking into the water in horror. "Ducky!" she cried out. This made something snap in the two Swimmers, they ran to the waters edge but could not see Ducky anywhere.

"DUCKY!" yelled Sura in horror and raced down the river toward the end of the rapids. Cyrest picked up his niece and followed suite. Jane cried in his arms, the confrontation had scared her and when Ducky had dived into the rapids she felt like her heart was in her mouth.

Cyrest reached Sura standing at the end of the current looking anxiously at the water "This is all my fault" she said, she felt responsible for her daughter and if she had not gotten angry with Cyrest then Ducky would not have jumped in. All she could do now was hope that she would make it.

Ducky swam swiftly through the water at depth so as to avoid the crashing waves on the surface. It was rather easy to track through the rapids with her newfound skills but she was not focused on that. Her heart and mind burned in fury and pain, she was sure that if she was at the surface, she would be crying.

As it was her mind was screaming at her, all her recent troubles seemed to be making an assault on her mind and watching her mother preparing to fight with Cyrest made something break in the little Swimmer. She had never known her mother to be violent or aggressive and she never wanted to see it again, she just wanted to escape it so without thinking what she was doing, she dived into the water.

Ducky navigated the currents well but as she progressed the currents became faster and she could hardly avoid the rocks that littered the interior of the river. Ducky had to fight to turn as she moved left past a large rock but only to be confronted with the sight of another rock that was twice as large.

There was no room to turn and the current was heading straight towards it. All Ducky could do before the inevitable happened was to brace herself. Suddenly the current slackened, enough for her to break away but she was not ready for the sudden fluctuation in the current. The window closed with the rock only a few feet away.

THUD!

She collided with the rock head first and saw nothing more. Her body sank and the current carried her from there.

Sura waded into the water and waited anxiously for Ducky to appear but so far nothing. Sura's hands were trembling violently and she was shivering in fright. Cyrest watched from the shore. He felt guilty that he had contributed to Ducky's reaction but what is done is done and now he had to accept the consequences of the confrontation he had with Sura.

"Where are you Ducky" thought Sura as she scanned the stream for any sign of her daughter. Suddenly she saw a light green lump break the surface. Sura ran forward and pulled Ducky's limp body from the water. She examined her little one and discovered to her horror that she was not breathing.

Sura ran to the shore and placed Ducky on the ground and pushed her chest hard a few times. With Cyrest comforting a weeping Jane. After a few breathless seconds of pushing a whole loud of water gushed out of Ducky's mouth. Ducky opened her eyes and fell on her belly and retched violently. The contents of her stomach coming back up and out her mouth. She lay there breathing deeply from the air. Her whole body was trembling all over from this near death experience.  

"Oh Ducky" said Sura, nuzzling her daughter with relief. "Are you okay dear" she asked in a worried voice that expressed her fear to her daughter.

"I am okay now mama" said Ducky in a exhausted voice. "I am....I am" she said. she felt very sleepy and started to close her eyes but her mother shook her.

"Don't go to sleep dear" she heard her mother voice as if from a distance and her vision was very blurry as her mother appeared to be nothing but a brown haze.

"Lets get her back to the cave" cried Cyrest.

The two Swimmers seemed to had forgotten their confrontation as they headed back to the cave at a brisk pace. When they arrived Sura laid down in her sleeping spot and after shaking Ducky awake for the fifth time, she gave her a little water which she was instructed to spit out, she was then given a few healing herbs by Cyrest.

Cyrst settled Jane down in the nest and lowered himself down to keep her comfort.

"Ducky!" cried Jane in a pleading voice. But Ducky didn't answer. Cyrest nuzzled her softly.

"She'll be okay dear, she just needs some rest" he said reassuringly.

Sura wrapped her tail around Ducky and held her in her embrace until it was a long time after dark. She had still kept Ducky awake. She was trying to minimise the chance of secondary drowning which occurred when people drowned in their body fluids when they blocked the airway, this event tends to occur after a near drowning experience like what Ducky had gone through and Sura was just trying to make sure that Ducky would be safe.  

"Mama" said Ducky, yawning. "I am feeling so sleepy. I would like to sleep I would I would.

Sura thought that Ducky was safe enough now so she nodded. "Sleep dear, you'll be okay" she said and gave her a last nuzzle before Ducky drifted off to sleep.

Cyrest looked over to Sura and said in a voice filled with regret. "I am so sorry"

But before he could say anymore Sura raised her hand at him and said in a calm voice "forgiven and forgotten".

Cyrest nodded and Sura returned that nod before apologising.

"I am sorry as well" she said before she turned her head away behind her tail. Sura stroked Ducky's back and whispered ever so quietly to her daughter before she turned in. "I am so sorry dear, sorry for everything. I won't let it happen again" she reassured as she turned in for the night.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ouch!  Poor baby, hurting herself like that😧.  That really sucks when that happens (happened to me once in a pool while swimming laps...my vision is poor and I couldn't see ).  Glad she's okay.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 33: A Joyful Reunion

Ducky woke. Her eyelids felt heavy hence she was reluctant to open them if it were not for the daylight that she could see through her closed eyes. Reluctantly the young Swimmer opened her eyes and stretched. She was in her mother's arms and had her mother's tail coiled around her, keeping the cold of the morning away from her. Ducky yawned and gave a tired groan she was still exhausted from yesterday’s trip down the rapids.

She found that most of her body was aching in some way, particularly her head. The head on crash with the rock had given her a nasty bruise on the top of her head. The fact that she had also come very close to drowning if it had not been for her mother added to her painful headache.

As if Ducky's headache could not get worse, it just did as her mind replayed over her mother's confrontation with Cyrest. She could not understand why the two adults were being so mean to each other. She understood why her mother had been concerned for her safety and was grateful for her intervention but before she knew it the argument had escalated to a fight.

Ducky was feeling very dizzy and did not feel like moving but that did not stop her from looking around the cave. She immediately deduced that she was the only one awake. Cyrest was sleeping beside Jane who was shifting around uncomfortably in her sleep. Ducky sighed and looked at her slumbering mother. She carefully rose from her sleeping position and tip toed until she was looking at her mother's closed eye. She looked over at her mother’s neck and gently placed her hand on the scar that the fast biter had dealt her. It would be visible for the remainder of her life.

Ducky looked down and took a deep breath she still blamed herself for that incident that almost cost the life of her mother. Ducky heard a soft cry from behind her and turned to see Jane shaking in the nest, she was obviously having an unpleasant dream. Ducky's expression softened and without making a sound she carefully wriggled out of her mother's embrace and approached the nest.  

Ducky settled herself down next to Jane. The little hatchling was obviously traumatised by yesterday’s events. Ducky put a hand on her back and placed her body beside Jane's in an attempt to comfort her. Jane did not wake up but it was as if she knew that Ducky was there as she snuggled up to her and appeared to fall into a more restful slumber. Ducky smiled. Jane was just so lovely and innocent.

A thought suddenly passed through the young Swimmers mind "That is what everyone says about me it is it is". She thought but being lovely and innocent did not seem to prevent her from getting into trouble at every turn. Ducky felt a little dizzy. She got to her feet and slowly, on uncertain feet walked out of the cave and into the early morning sun. Ducky walked down the rocky shore until she found herself in a small rocky cove with a few trees and bushes at the base of the cliff.

Ducky sat herself down on a rock at the water’s edge and stared at her reflection. She felt conflicted ever since the confrontation. She had been through a lot for one so young. She reflected on the direction that her life had taken her. She had a loving family and the best friends that she could ever have and had been on many adventures. Now in more recent times she was faced with The Trial of Destiny that none before her had survived. Ducky choked back a few sobs, a tear dropped from her face and fell into the water, sending ripples along the surface. Ducky remembered how it felt when her mother said that she was chosen, she remembered what it felt like during her training in The Valley and she remembered leaving it all behind.

Ducky closed her eyes tightly. She had been able to find some real hope in Cyrest but the confrontation had seemed to open a chasm in her mind. She could not forget all the hardships that she had been through. "Why me?" thought Ducky in distress, she still had yet to come to terms with why she of all people was chosen to perform the Trial. While her mother had told her about Sculra's motives and her beliefs on the issue, she still was not satisfied. Why did it have to be her?

Ducky pondered the question for a while. She was not born in the Great Valley and hence had an edge to her that children in the Valley often lacked. She had survived The Great Earthshake and the dangerous journey to the Valley. She had also survived all of her previous adventures and had saved the life of her friends many times before and helped the Valley in many ways.

Anyone would know that she has been through much in her short life but that still did not explain why she was chosen. Ducky pondered on what her mother said about the Trial. "Only the best Swimmer is chosen to take the Trial" Ducky knew she was a good Swimmer but surly there was another Swimmer out there that was just as good as her? Ducky thought about what her mother had said about Sculra. Ducky remembered her mother say that Sculra did not like her and that she worried she did not want her to become like her mother.

"Why?" she asked again. Why couldn't she be like her mother? What was so bad about that? Ducky could not understand it. Then she had a thought "She hates my mom and wants to hurt her, that's what my mom said" Ducky picked up some sand and gripped it tightly in her fist. "She wants to make her suffer by...." Ducky sobbed once.

Now the reason why Sculra had chosen her was out in the open. She did not mean for Ducky to survive, she meant for her to die in the Trial so that she could what Sura suffer. Ducky felt a hot wrath seep through her. "How could she?" thought Ducky, Sculra's selfish plan was out and Ducky now knew why she had been chosen. She was just a tool that Sculra could use to torture her mother.

Ducky had never been so angry, she was breathing hard and furiously. Suddenly she got up and with a angry, defiant yell she threw the sand as far as she could out to sea. Ducky collapsed and sobbed. Sculra was just selfish and evil and now Ducky knew why her mother hated her. She was responsible for all this misery. Ducky glared at her reflection as if it was Sculra then looked away.

She looked out to the sea and thought of Swayer, tears ran down her eyes when she did. She suddenly made a choice, she chose to complete the Trial and show Sculra that she could not hurt her mother. She would never allow that.

With her mind set on her goal, Ducky laid back and looked up at the sky for a while. The morning was getting older, she should be getting back to her mother soon.

SPLASH!

Ducky ignored the sound of the crashing waves.

SPLASH!

A torrent of water fell upon Ducky, drenching her to the bone. Ducky sat bolt upright and looked around in confusion.

SPLASH!

A blast of cold water came out of nowhere and hit her in the chest, pushing her onto her back. Ducky tried regain her posture when she was hit more water. What was happening? Ducky finally got up on her legs and looked at the water.      

SPLAT!

"AHH!"

Ducky cried out as a large amount of mud was splattered on her body.

"Hi Hi Ha Ha Ha" laughed a familiar voice.

Ducky's mouth fell open as she began the process of shaking her body and getting rid of the mud. She knew that voice anywhere. As if to confirm this thought a large purple and yellow coloured Swimmer jumped out of the water. His fish like body and colour seemed to shine in the morning sun. He landed back in the water with a splash and swam up to Ducky.

"Hello mud brother" he said in a loud humorous voice that lifted Ducky's spirits dramatically.

"Mo!" shouted Ducky in surprise and joy at seeing her old friend again.

The little Swimmer ran up to her friend and embraced his snout. "Oh Mo, I am so happy to see you" she said when she disengaged.

"Me too" cried Mo as he leaped into the air and did a double somersault. His resounding splash drenched Ducky in the cool water, but she laughed Merrily. Mo always did like having fun and making jokes.

Mo surfaced and looked around the rocky shore. "Are all mud brothers here?" he asked inquisitively. He was evidently wondering why Ducky was all alone here and not in the company of her friends.

"I am afraid not nope nope nope" she said in a slower voice. "I am the only one here, my mom is back in the cave" explained Ducky.

Mo looked a little downcast that everyone else was not here but his expression quickly changed to one of curiosity. "What going on with you?" he asked.

Ducky opened her mouth and then closed it in silence, she seemed rather hesitant. As was the case because at that moment Ducky did not want reveal her present situation to Mo. It would just make things harder for him. But another part of her mind protested. "He is my friend and friends do not lie to each other, all the rest of my friends know so why not Mo. He might be able to help me" thought Ducky. She really liked Mo, he was a good friend and the bond between them was all the more potent between them then other members of the Gang because they were both Swimmers.

Ducky sighed and began explaining her current situation to Mo.

Sura awoke with a long yawn, she opened her eyes and took in the scenery before her. She saw Cyrest sleeping beside Jane. Sura felt a guilty that she had allowed her temper to get the better but she was just so worried. Her argument was certainly valid and she all she wanted was to protect her daughter but the way she and Cyrest reacted took everything over the top which led to Ducky diving into the river. Sura spared a look at Jane who appeared to be a little restless, Sura shook her head and looked down, Jane had obviously been badly affected by yesterday's events.

Sura turned her head to Ducky's sleeping spot beside her and observed.

"Ducky!" she gasped in shock.

She quickly rose from her sleeping spot and took a sweeping look around the cave but could not find any sign of Ducky. She walked over to Cyrest and Jane and tried to see whether Ducky was sleeping with them but when she could not find her she put her hands on Cyrest and pushed him hard in an attempt to rouse him.

"Cyrest!" she exclaimed in concern.

Cyrest let out an annoyed groan as he woke up. He raised himself slightly and looked dreary eyed at Sura. "What is it?" he said. His tone indicated that he was annoyed at being disturbed from his sleep.

"Ducky's gone" said Sura in worry.

"She in the cave?" he asked.

"No" came Sura's negative response. "I'm worried for her.

"Then you worry to much" said Cyrest in an agitated voice. "She might have just gone to relieve herself you know".

Sura took a few deep breaths to calm herself, after all she was probably overreacting. "Okay, I'll give Ducky some time to return but if she does not return then I want you to come with me and help find her" she said to Cyrest, who gave an irritated sigh before turning his back on her.

Sura on the other hand began to pace the cave in agitation and impatience, she hoped that Ducky was okay.

"And now Cyrest is training me to overcome the Trial he is he is" Ducky finished her story. Her voice had sped up as she told Mo all that had befallen her, now all her worries and concerns were let out before him. She was breathing rapidly when she was done. But to her surprise Mo did not look nearly as traumatised as everyone else was when they heard the Trial. Sure he had gasped when she told him about the Trial but that was about all.

Mo swam up to her and spoke in a calm voice. "Sorry Ducky" he said "It sounds hard but I know you can do it, you've done great things before" he said in a more cheerful voice.

Ducky looked astonished. "But no one has survived that Trial" she said as if it was a fact. But to her astonishment Mo burst into laughter. This just confused the young Swimmer.

"Not many survive Sharpteeth and bad Swimmers like you have so what is the difference, if you can survive that then I am sure that you can do it" said Mo in an encouraging voice. His happy smile made Ducky feel much better but then she told Mo about the Swimming Sharptooth beneath the caves.

Mo looked a little more worried now his expression turned into a frown and his eyes narrowed as he were pondering something. Suddenly his expression broke into a wide grin. "I have an idea, Water Kin help" said Mo. He looked at Ducky and his grin widened. "But first I think we need to have some fun" He offered his dorsal to Ducky "grab on" he instructed.

Ducky looked perplexed, what could Mo be thinking now? She cautiously grabbed hold of his fin. Suddenly Mo took off from the shore with a speed greater then Ducky could muster. She held on tight to Mo's dorsal as Mo took her out and away from the shore and far out in the Big Water.

Sorry for the delay. I have a lot of Assignments and Tests for Uni that I have to complete so I have not had that much time for writing. Anyway hope you like this chapter.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review of Chapter 25:

Ah, I knew that mysterious Swimmer would be Cyrest. This chapter has a lot of important and interesting revelations. Swayer whom Ducky has met in her sleepstories is actually Cyrest's son - well, he was. The story is quite touching. Cyrest has lost his mate as well and he never managed to raise a kid to adulthood. He's obviously been through a lot in his life yet he selflessly rescues Sura, Ducky and also a newborn hatchling. Aww, she seems to be such a sweetie just like Ducky :smile
I wonder what's gonna happen next. Good chapter! :yes

Review of Chapter 26:

Wow, you almost got me with this chapter. Littlefoot is going through a horrible sleepstory and the reactions he shows during his troubled sleep only support that. Usually, people would still wake up. I was really moved by the words of Littlefoot's Mother as well. That was really emotional! Well done! :)

Review of Chapter 27:

Holy cow! That's so emotional yet also exciting! I'm really feeling for poor Ducky. First she thought she had lost her mother, then she was rescued and recovering and now it's getting worse again. Ducky had to stand up against Cyrest's plan. I can really see why he'd attempt to spare Sura the suffering and the painful death that is likely to be the result of her injuries. It's great to see that Ducky can still see some hope. Cyrest seems to be at a loss as for what to do. I wonder what you have in store for the next chapters. More drama? :p
Can't stop repeating that the story is really great right now.

Review of Chapter 28:

This chapter was excellent! The title is well chosen as indeed Sura goes through the most remarkable events in her life in a flash. This was a joy to read, especially the part that referred to "The Big Freeze" (My favourite LBT sequel! :D). I'm gonna assume that Sura's recovery won't be interrupted by another tragedy though the recent chapters make me question that, haha :D

Review of Chapter 29:

Sura seems to be doing well. I can totally imagine Ducky's reaction to removing the excrements of little Jane. You know, I like how you touch difficult topics such as sexuality or relieving oneself. In the movies, these things have been totally neglected and I think you're handling them right :yes

Review of Chapter 30:

Littlefoot's sleepstory appears to be still troubling the little Longneck. I think you've shown very well that the Gang are true friends who are always there for each other, who will always stick together no matter what and who are even willing to risk their lives in order to save another friend. That's what true friendship means :yes
Though now I wonder how they're going to kill that Sharptooth provided there is one... Dropping a boulder on its head probably wouldn't work this time :p

Review of Chapter 31:

I see Sura is doing great. Waking up Ducky was kinda amusing :smile
Sunsets and sunrises are always a wonderful event to observe :)
I see Ducky has started training. So far she's doing great :yes

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Aww, poor Ducky.  Concussions are no fun😒.  Worse than a bad hangover caused by cheap liquor😣.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 34: Swimming with Mo's Water Kin

Ducky held on tightly to Mo as he took her further and further from the shore. She quickly realised that Swimming back on her own would not be optional due to how vulnerable she would be in the open water to any potential predators. "Mo what are you doing? Where are we going?" asked Ducky in dismay who had already got more then she bargained for in this meeting.

"Mo swim to Water Kin" replied Mo, raising his head slightly out of the water while he swam. Mo suddenly changed course and swam parallel to the shore. "Diving" said Mo as a warning that he was going under. Ducky barley had time to take a breath before Mo dived under the water and sent out a series of high pitched clicks and whistles. To Ducky it sounded like Mo was performing a distress call but she knew this was not the case as she had seen Mo use this ability before. Mo waited for a few seconds and by an unspoken signal he started Swimming again.

He surfaced and continued at a faster pace on the same course. Suddenly the sound of loud squeaks could be heard ahead. Ducky was unprepared for Mo's next action. He suddenly dived and leapt into the air. It was a very exhilarating experience for Ducky as she gripped onto Mo's fin as they sailed through the air as if they were both flying. From their vantage point the duo could see a Mo's Water Kin. It consisted of almost twenty other Swimmers of Mo's kind and all apart of his family. "Well they are not called a Water kin for nothing" reflected Ducky.

Mo gave a happy laugh as dived back into the water. The sheer force of the water completely knocked the air out of Mo's passenger though. Ducky beat Mo's back lightly as a sign that she wanted to return to the surface.

SPLASH!

Ducky gasped for air as she broke the surface and looked around to find herself right in the middle of Mo's Water Kin. Every eye was fixed on her and there was a lot of excited squeaking between them. They were obviously conversing in there own unique language. Ducky felt like she was the odd one out here. Which she was and it made her feel a little uneasy, even though she was in the company of a friend and his family.

Suddenly a female Swimmer that was larger then the others glided through the water and stopped in from of Mo, then inspected his cargo with interest. Then to the surprise of Ducky, the Swimmer spoke in a feminine squeaky voice that was deeper then Mo's "I am glad you warned me that we would have a visitor Mo" she said.

Mo nodded curtly to his mother: Noon. The large Swimmer swam over to Mo's side and looked at Ducky. For a few seconds the two Swimmers stared into each others eyes. Ducky felt very uncertain at what to do now. But Noon's face turned into a friendly smile. "You are welcome here young land Swimmer" she said to Ducky in a warm voice.

"Thank you" said Ducky nervously, she still felt very uncertain of herself here.

"My son has told me that you were one of the friends that took him safely back to us" Noon said to which Ducky could only nod. Noon nodded her head and said to Ducky "then I thank you for your deed" she said.

Ducky smiled back at the larger Swimmer.

"What is your name young one" she asked.

"Ducky"

A large conversation broke out amongst many of the other Swimmers but Noon ignored them. "Well Ducky Mo informs me that you are in a little spot of bother" she chuckled. Ducky failed to see why she was in such a good mood if she knew what she was going through. But she did not know that she was sharing a private joke with herself at that moment. "Now perhaps you can tell me what this trouble is?" she asked.

Once again Ducky had the long job of retelling the events of the previous weeks. She hoped that they could provide her with some help.

DUCKY! DUCKY! Where are you! yelled Sura as she frantically searched along the beach for her lost daughter. She had waited over an hour but Ducky never returned even though Cyrest had been sceptical even he knew at this point that Ducky had been gone for to long and was now helping Sura search for Ducky with Jane in his arms.

Sura was running around in a panic, trying to find her daughter. She did not know what had happened and when she considered some of the possibilities it filled her heart with even more fear. "What was she thinking in leaving the cave" thought Sura. "When I find her then she will be in some serious trouble". She neglected to think that she would not find her daughter, the thought was to much for her to accept. If anything happened to Ducky then she would never forgive herself.

Sura stopped and thought for a moment then a sudden realisation hit her. If Ducky was on the beach then she would have left footprints. Now with a search frame Sura looked closely at the sand and soon found the tell tail footprints of a young Swimmer in the sand near the cave. "I'm coming Ducky" she said to herself as she followed the foot prints she came to the rocky part of the shore where the footprints ceased. She search around the tall cliffs until she could go no further but still could not find any sign of Ducky.

Sura felt dismayed by her lack of success "Oh Ducky where are you dear" she thought.

Ducky finished telling her story to Noon who's face seemed to be in a frown.

"Oh come on that's not that bad compared to what we do" said one of the older boys.

Noon chuckled as she addressed her upstart son: Cheek. "Imagine it from Ducky's view youngling, she has not the skills of our kind and is a different kind who all see this as a challenge for her" said Noon to Cheek.

"Mo think we help Ducky" said Mo.

Noon nodded her head. "I agree" she said.

Ducky grinned happily, she never expected this but she was overjoyed to hear that she would be getting help from Mo's Water Kin.

"But first" said Noon. Ducky looked a little taken aback by this sudden announcement. "Swim with us Ducky, swim and for one day forget all the troubles of the world" said Noon.

"Okay" said Ducky slowly and hesitantly but soon she would wonder why she hesitated.

Ducky's day suddenly turned from a headache to a wondrous experience. The Water Kin took her along their favourite parts of the coastal waters and then down onto the reefs several metres below. Ducky had never seen so much life, beauty and colour in all her life. It was simply breath taking. She saw the multi-coloured corals and sponges, she saw towering underwater rock formations that were a dazzle to behold and saw so many weird and wonderful creatures that she could hardly describe. She was amazed by an encounter with an octopus. The eight legged creature was so flexible colourful. She was even more astonished that it could change it's colour and shape and squirt ink when it was being chased by Cheek.  

Suddenly she saw a large shark appear out of the blue. She shivered as she remembered her terrifying encounter with the Megalodon Shark when she and her friends were trying to escape Chomper's island. But this shark was smaller and it appeared to be disinterested in the group then, as it just passed by peacefully and disappeared into the depths. Ducky certainly felt safe in the protection of the Water Kin and it was a joy to splash around on the surface with Mo and his family.

She did forget everything troubling her as Noon suggested but even through the day which was one of the most joyous of her life she wished that her friends were here to join in the fun.

However the day passed all to quickly for Ducky as the sun began to set. Mo took her back to the cove and told her that if she wanted to meet them then she just needed to come here at dawn and he would come and pick her up.

"Thank you Mo, it was nice seeing you again and this was a really good day yep yep yep" she said.

"See you soon mud brother, goodbye!" called Mo as he swam off back to his family.

Ducky watched him go and looked out at the setting sun. It was just so beautiful like everything was around the Big Water. She sighed as the sun disappeared beneath the horizon and giving rise to Twilight. Suddenly Ducky realised that she had forgotten to tell her mother what she was doing and the thought that she had probably scared the life out of her mother made her feel very bad indeed. So she headed back to the cave at a brisk pace.

Sura paced the length of the cave in deep agitation. She was extremely worried now with the darkness of night arriving. She could not help but feel that her daughter was in trouble but Cyrest had insisted that they go back to the cave and resume the search in the morning.

Cyrest finished tending Jane at that very moment and walked up to Sura. "Would you please try and stop walking around like that it's very distracting" he asked in a polite voice so as not to anger Sura.

Sura stopped and gave him a worried look " Sorry but I'm just so worried, what if something bad happened to Ducky and I was not there to protect her" she said in a fearful voice.

The two Swimmers exchanged worried looks with each other then suddenly Jane gave a loud happy call "Ducky!" she cried in happiness, her tail wagging excitedly from side to side. This diverted the two Swimmer's attention to the entrance to the cave where Ducky was now standing.

"DUCKY!" shouted Sura and ran to her daughter and picking her up in her hands and hugged her in a tight embrace before proceeding to nuzzle her with relief. "Oh Ducky I'm so glad your all right" said Sura.

Ducky for the most part was surprised by her mother's reaction but she reminded herself that she left without telling her where she was going or what she was doing.

Sura broke off and placed Ducky back on the ground. That was when things became a lot more serious. "Where have you been?" asked Sura in a more stern voice then she had used before. Her demeanour also changed she appeared to have a very firm look on her face as she settled Ducky back on the ground.

Ducky looked down at her mother's statement. "I am sorry about all the trouble I caused I am I am" said sadly, looking up at her mother with an apologetic expression.

"But where did you go dear?" Sura asked "Cyrest and I looked everywhere for you.

Ducky took a deep breath, she knew that there was no getting out of trouble this time so she spoke up to her mother. "I was swimming in The Big Water" said Ducky in a small voice.

There was a collective gasp of shock from the two adults. "Ducky what were you thinking?" said Cyrest in disbelief.

"The Big Water is extremely dangerous Ducky, Why did you swim there?" asked Sura.

"I did not mean to nope nope nope" said Ducky shaking her head "I just went to a small cove and then I met Mo and-" Ducky never got to finish her sentence as her mother cut in.

"Mo? Who's Mo?" she asked.

"Mo is a my friend. He is a Swimmer from the Big Water. I met him after The Great Valley was flooded I did I did."

Sura nodded and beckoned her to continue.

"Well we talked and then he took me to meet his Water Kin" explained Ducky.

Cyrest and Sura exchanged looks.

"His mom said that she would help me prepare for the Trial then she took me for a swim in the Big Water" explained Ducky "But nothing bad happened mama, I was with then the whole time and I had lots of fun yep yep yep".

Sura sighed and looked firmly at Ducky. "I am glad that you are all right and that you had a good time dear but that fact that you disappeared without a trace is inexcusable" said Sura "Do you have any idea how much trouble you caused or how worried we were? asked Sura. Ducky looked down ashamed.

"Can I at least go with him tomorrow?" asked Ducky "he said that he will met me in the cove he will he will".

"Ducky, I will allow it as long as I accompany you" Ducky pricked up at this. "But don't think that you have escaped punishment" said her mother firmly "You are on nest clearing duty for the week".

"But mama-"

"No but's Ducky, you had me so worried today and far all I know you could have been eaten by Sharpteeth, so you will be on nest clearing duty for the week" said Sura, her firm voice conveyed no disagreement. "And next time I want you to tell me when you are going out of the cave and where you are going is that understood?" asked Sura.

Ducky nodded. She was not looking forward to clearing Jane's nest again but she had done something wrong so she accepted it without compliant.

Sura's faced softened after her lecture. "Well come along now dear I think we've all had enough adventure for one day" said Sura as she laid down in her sleeping spot.

Ducky nodded and walked over to her mother and settled herself down. Now she really felt drained so sleep came very quickly to the young Swimmer. But before she passed into the world of dreams she had one last thought.

"I wonder how my friends are doing" thought Ducky right before she fell asleep.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 35: Pressing Problems

Littlefoot followed by the rest of the Gang made their way to the Crescent Caves. Each one was apprehensive as to weather or not they would find a Swimming Sharptoth there or not. But each was hoping that that was not the case or Ducky would be real trouble. The seven friends walked in silence. It had only been a day since the meeting and Cera had kept well away from her father after her outburst against him until he called her over to the nest last night, Cera still remembered all that was said then during that conversation.

Last Night.

Cera sat alone a short distance from the nest. Her mind pondered what she should do now with her father. She had openly yelled at him in front of the entire Valley and hence kept well out of her father's way in case he was mad at her but she also could not stand the separation from Tria and Tricia but they were bound to be near her father so she reframed from going to them until she thought it safe.

Suddenly she heard the rhythmic sound of footsteps approaching her. She turned to see her father coming toward her. "This is it" thought Cera as she prepared for the lecture that she was more then likely to have.

"Cera" said Topps. "I would like to talk to you about the meeting yesterday".

Cera knew what was coming so she swallowed her pride and said what she should have said before to her father.

"I am sorry about-"

The two Threehorns stopped as they said the same thing simultaneously. After exchanging their surprised looks Cera could help but give a slight chuckle at the situation. She remained and silent and waited for her father to address her.

Topps took a deep breath "Cera I am sorry about what I said at the meeting" he said in a apologetic voice to his daughter. For the most part Cera stared at her father with surprise.

"I am sorry to daddy, I should never have yelled at you" replied Cera.

"No" said Topps suddenly. Giving his daughter a sympathetic look. "You had every right to be mad at me Cera. You are just trying to protect your friend, no one can fault you there. I should be sorry for trying to stop you from doing what you believed was right. I would do the same thing if I was in your position".

Cera smiled "Thanks dad, does this mean that we can go to the Crescent Caves and investigate?" asked Cera.

"As long as it is only investigating then I don't mind, but no getting into fights with Sharpteeth" said Topps. The old Threehorn looked hard at Cera. "You really care about Ducky don't you?" he asked.

Cera gave him a surprised look at his question "Yes, she is my friend and always will be. Littlefoot lost his mother. Pterano left Petrie. Spike has never known his true parents. Ruby and Chomper both have had to deal with not seeing their parents for a long time and I" Cera looked down. "I lost my mother and my sisters" she said sadly. "We all could not bear to lose Ducky, she is the friendliest dinosaur I ever met" explained Cera with a subdued emotion as she tried to stop the tears falling.

Topps gave her a sympathetic look. "Then we will do all we can for her" he said.

"Thanks dad" said Cera gratefully and the two Threehorns walked back to the nest where Tria and Tricia were waiting.

Back to the Present.

Cera pushed those thoughts as they neared the Crescent Caves. Suddenly a loud voice called from behind them.

"And just where do you kids think your going?" called the voice.

The friends turned to see Ruphus catch up with them.

"Well we were going to the investigate the Crescent Caves" said Littlefoot truthfully.

"I thought so" said Ruphus "And I would like to join your 'investigation' please" said Ruphus curtly although he put a slight emphasis on investigation. "Ducky is my daughter and I won't sit back while she faces danger" he said.

"Your welcome to join us" said Littlefoot since he knew that saying 'no' was out of the question at the moment. Ruphus nodded and the eight dinosaurs continued to the Crescent Caves.

Soon they came out of the tall trees that grew near the fast flowing river and laid sight on a large rise but where the river was supposed to be was a large, plain and seamless rock in the place where the stream should be. Fast water gushed out of the rock and downstream.  

The dinosaurs stopped by the bank and stared at the rock with distaste, for they knew that this was the sight that many young Swimmers had lost there lives in the fruitless Trial that they had been set.

"Well we are here but what do we do now that we are here" said Ruby.

Everyone was silent for a while as they all pondered what they should do now that they had arrived at their destination. Finally Petrie spoke "Well we come here to investigate so perhaps that is what we should do" he said in an uncertain voice.

"I guess your right Petrie" said Chomper "We should try looking around on the surface and see if there is another way in" he suggested to the disbelief of Ruphus and the Gang.

"Um why would we want to get into the caves" asked Ali who did not like jumping blindly into unknown waters with a possible Sharptooth on the prow.

"We will not go in" said Chomper "we should try and see if we can create some escape routes for Ducky"            

Everyone pricked up as Chomper said this and they all flattered him with praise. "That's a great idea Chomper" said Ruphus "right lets get started" he said.

For the next half hour The Gang and Ruphus all searched along the top of the caves in an attempt to find any possible escape paths. But so far they had no luck. Everyone was quickly tiring of this fruitless activity but determination to find an opening kept them searching.

CRACK!

Spike gave a wide yell as his hind foot suddenly seemed to collapse through the ceiling of a cave. Spike tried to pull his foot out but it was stuck tight in the hole. Ruphus quickly grabbed Spike and with a massive heave he managed to haul Spike's foot out of the hole. Spike whimpered in pain as his father gently laid him back on the ground. The rest of The Gang hearing Spikes commotion ran to the scene.

"What happened? Are you okay Spike?" asked Littlefoot in a worried voice.

"He's fine, just a strained ankle" reassured Ruphus " His foot fell through that hole" he pointed at the small hole in the rock which everyone gathered around and looked into to see a cavern filled with dark water that was an unknown depth. It looked very forbidding.

"Well" said Cera "At least Spike's blunder led to something good this time" she said.

Littlefoot glared at the his friend "Cera that is-" The words died in his throat as he looked into the depths of the dark abyss only to see that he was being watched.

Everyone looked into the hole and froze. A large, round eye looked up at them. It was as black as the water around as was the rest of it's body. It's mouth was filled razor sharp teeth, each were like needles. It's body was sleek and streamlined, with a small dorsal fin and two small petrol fins and a powerful tail. But the body was also very long. It was like a cross between an Eel and a Shark and some unseen horror of the deep oceans. The creature snapped it's massive maw which could easily swallow a Swimmer in a single gulp and all of a sudden it vanished as quickly as it had arrived.

There really is a Sharptooth in there" said Ruphus in horror. The fearful look on his face was mirrored by all. Ducky was indeed up against a Swimming Sharptooth. The same on that was responsible for the death of all the other Swimmers that had taken the Trial.

Petrie and Spike were both shivering in fright a cold chill ran up there spines when they had looked into the seemingly cold, emotionless eyes that was patiently waiting to claim Ducky as it's next victim.

"What we do now?" stuttered Petrie in an almost inaudible whisper as if he feared that the Sharptooth was watching them from within those dark waters.

"We know what Ducky is up against" said Littlefoot grimly. "We should warn everyone else and then we can try to get rid of it".

There were silent nods from everyone. As they turned and left with Littlefoot helping support Spike who's ankle was still hurting pretty badly. No one said anything on the way back as they were all to wrapped up in what they had just witnessed. But Chomper soon decided to break the silence. He used his knowledge of Sharpteeth to try and figure out a way to neutralise the creature they saw.

"Guy's" he said suddenly as the idea hit him. Everyone turned to him "I think that I might how to get rid of the Sharptooth".

A loud flapping noise roused the Swimmer from her slumber. Sculra knew what that meant and raised herself and walked to the entrance of her cave in her little Valley, that she was currently using as her hide out. The sound of flapping increased as a large Sharptooth Flyer suddenly appeared before her. He had notable burns and scars on various places on his body and had a menacing appearance.

"What news Sierra?" asked Sculra eagerly.

Sierra landed before speaking. "That Swimmer you told me to keep an eye on has left the Valley with her little brat" he said.

This was news to Sculra. "Where were they headed?" she asked.

"To what I heard at the meeting, she is headed for The Big Water. She is apparently trying to find a Swimmer called Cyrest" growled Sierra. When he heard that Sculra wanted Ducky dead he was all to up for the job but Sculra already made her plans and carried them out but she wanted eyes in the sky to give her news on Sura.

Sculra immediately deduced what Sura was trying to do. She was helpless to stop her but of course The Mysterious Beyond is a dangerous place so there was always the chance that she would be finished off before she found Cyrest, if she found Cyrest. Sculra however wanted her to come back. Her plan would not be worth while if she couldn't see Sura's reaction to losing her daughter. That is what she wanted to see. She wanted revenge on that upstart and eliminate the threat her daughter possessed.

"Seirra, I want you to go to the Big water and find those to Swimmers and report back on the situation but while your there try to stir up as much trouble for Sura and her little brat" she said Callously.

Sierra's mouth curled into an evil smirk as he plotted what he could do to get back at Ducky. "But I want them both alive do you hear me, cause as much trouble as you can but no killing. That will come soon enough at the Trial but for it to work they must both be alive" said Sculra in a firm voice. She wanted to make sure the flyer got her message as he appeared eager to make the kill. He hated Ducky ever since he and Pterano kidnapped her and because she had not only drove him crazy but she had also survived all the dangers that she was put through. This made him eager for revenge.

Although Sculra's order had annoyed him, he would still look forward to The Trial when it came. He smiled as he thought what he could do to Ducky now. He resolved that he would make her life a living hell as much as he could. "Of course Sculra, I will make sure they stay alive and I will make sure to give them absolute hell".

The crazy flyer started to laugh in a cruel and merciless voice which was soon joined by Sculra. They would soon get the revenge that they were both waiting for.

Sculra did not know however that Ducky was well on the way to learning the Wisdoms. She would not be preyed upon by the Swimming Sharptooth as easily as it had been to prey upon it's previous victims.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wonder if Chomper's plan involved feeding Sierra to the sharptooth...there's an idea😉.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review of Chapter 32:

This chapter is very interesting. Ducky's training went very well until this point but now she has to face the currents. I can see very well why Sura is hesitant about allowing Cyrest to make Ducky swim through them and it later proves she had a point... Like Sura, I haven't really thought about why Cyrest is on his own. They've had quite a fierce argument which caused Ducky to take on the currents and fail. It seems like she did it out of fear and not to have to witness the fight. Poor Ducky! If she tried this a few times though, she might get better... but does she even want to anymore? She'll have to eventually and if she enters the Trial with fear instead of confidence... :unsure:
Wonder what she'll do the next day :)

Review of Chapter 33:

This chapter is quite cool. It's centered on Ducky and how she copes with the events of the previous day. She is realising why Sculra is acting so mean towards her, wanting her dead. Then Mo makes an appearance (I wonder why I didn't expect that to happen... :p). I think Mo is going to cheer her up :)

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 36: From Swimmer to Swimmer

Ducky had just finished her breakfast and was eager to get back to the cove where she was sure Mo would be waiting but everyone else was eating at a much slower pace. To her it was agonisingly slow but the others did not seem to mind. Ducky paced at the entrance in agitation.

"Can you please eat faster" said Ducky in the most respectful voice she could give but it was no secret that Ducky really wanted to head back to the cave.

"Patience little one, we are almost finished then we will get going" replied her mother, she sounded a little annoyed at Ducky's nagging. Ducky was visibly displeased at being made to wait longer then she wanted to.

Sura swallowed the last of her ground stars and got to her feet. Ducky was looking very excited, her tail wagged in anticipation that her mother had finished her breakfast and that they would shortly be on the way. But to her disappointed her mother went to take a drink at the spring. Ducky stomped her foot on the ground and paced faster in a deeper agitation then before.

Cyrest could not stop himself from giggling at Ducky. She looked like someone who desperately wanted to relieve themselves but were not yet excused. Finally after what seemed like ages to Ducky, her mother finally headed toward her. Ducky grinned in delight and raced outside the cave only to hear her mother calling her back.

"Not so fast Ducky you are needed"

Ducky gave a long groan and retreated back into the caves recesses. "What is it?" she asked in annoyance.

"You’re on nest clearing duty Ducky, remember?" said Sura.

"Not again" thought Ducky in disgust. Her punishment for her disappearance yesterday was to clear out Jane's nest whenever she relieved herself. Having done it once before she was in no mood to do it again but with her mother watching her she knew that she would not escape her punishment. So once again she cleaned out the nest as quickly as she could and deposited the leaves at the relieving spot outside the cave.

After washing her hands in the spring she was back at the exit of the cave, practically jumping in excitement. "Can we go now mommy? Can we please?" she asked.

Sura chuckled at her daughter’s enthusiasm "Okay dear let’s go" she said.

Ducky sprinted out of the cave with a cry of delight, she could not wait to see Mo again or see the wonders of The Big Water like she had yesterday. Her mother quickly caught up to her and they both headed toward the cove.

Somewhere in the Mysterious Beyond near the shores of The Big Water

The small rocks by the stream trembled as did the ground around it with the footsteps of a large herd of passing Swimmers. A tall, fit green male led the herd followed by his mate who was also the same shade of green as he. Behind then was the herd’s deputies and behind them were the rest of the adults. There was a large batch of children in the centre of the moving herd, under constant watch and protection from the adults. An old brown female was keeping watch over the little children as they chattered happily amongst themselves.

A younger adult female travelled beside her but she had a pale blue colouration. She was watching the children with longing. The old Swimmer placed her hand on the others shoulder, causing her to turn her head t and face her companion. "Beautiful aren't they" asked the brown. The other Swimmer whose name was Bluey due to her unique colouration gave a sad sigh. She never had children having never found a mate that suited her, most males turned her down because of her strange colouration.

"Yeah" she said. "I just wish that I had some of my own"

"My dear you still look after many of them" replied the old one in a compassionate voice.

"It's not the same as have my own children mom" said Bluey in sadness and agitation, even though her mother was only trying to console her. "I wish I never had this colour" said Bluey with a sob.

The mother nuzzled her daughter. Bluey had the hardest life out of any of her surviving children who had all left to create families of their own but not her. She had been bullied by many children as a youngling. If it had not been for her mother and a few of her siblings then she probably would have taken her own life. Though she wasn't as repressed as she used to be as an adult, but she could never find a mate of own.

Bluey tried to change the subject "So do you know where the herd is heading this time?" she asked. Her mother was a well-respected elder and was usually being asked for advice by the herd's young leader. Being up close to the herd’s inner circle, she heard a lot about how the herd was run.

"We are heading toward the Big Water where we will stay until the middle of the Cold Time then we will head to the Great Valley to watch the younglings take The Swimmer Trials" explained her mother.

Bluey nodded. "I remember my Trials as if it was yesterday, everyone who said I was a failure was blown out of the water when I completed my Trials and won the single's race" said Bluey.

"Yes dear, I remember it too and I am so proud of all my children including you dear" said Bluey's mother. She then turned and looked into the distance with a troubled look on her face.

"Mom?" asked Bluey

"Sorry Blu dear, I just thought about 'that' Trial" she said.

Bluey looked down with a saddened look on her face "Must I attend it?" she asked.

"I'm afraid so dear. Besides I will be there to cheer the youngling on and hope that they survive" said Bluey's mother to which her daughter closed her eyes tightly. "Don't worry dear it's a long way off, let’s just focus on getting the children ready for the Trials" she said.

"Yes mom" said Bluey.

The two Swimmer along with the herd continued their journey though The Mysterious Beyond.

Back at The Big Water

Sura and Ducky arrived at the cove where Mo had said he would meet Ducky. Ducky sat by the water’s edge and waited patiently. Her mother was curious about the situation she found herself in. She had never associated with any Swimmer from The Big Water and was interested in the one that Ducky had befriended.

She did not have to wait long. Shortly after they arrived in the cove there was a loud high pitched squeak "or was that a laugh" thought Sura in confusion.

SPLASH!

Sura spluttered as she was splashed in the face by a sudden jet of water which seemed to come out of nowhere. "What was that" cried Sura in astonishment but only the laughter of her daughter and the same high squeaky laugh she heard before answered her. Sura looked at the water next to Ducky and saw Mo jumping high into the air and do a triple somersault before diving back into the water at a perfect angle.

Ducky laughed at the dumbstruck look on her mother's face at meeting Mo. She waved Mo over and he came to the shore.

"Hello mud brother" he said in his usual squeaky voice.

"Hi Mo" said Ducky with a grin on her face.

Sura approached the water's edge and studied Mo with interest.

"Mo this my mom" said Ducky when Mo looked over at Sura.  

"Pleased to meet you" said Sura in a loving voice.

"Good to meet you toooooo" said Mo raising himself out of the water, on his flipping tail before coming back into the water.

"We are coming with you today Mo" said Ducky.

Mo grinned and swam side on to Ducky and offered his dorsal fin for her to hold on. Ducky jumped onto Mo's back and held onto his fin. "Let's go!" cried Mo.

Sura quickly dived into the water so as to avoid getting left behind. Sura kept pace with Mo who was giving Ducky a very exhilarating ride. He jumped high into the air before coming back into the water with a big splash. Ducky had gotten used to the feeling of flying through the air and was now really enjoying herself.

Mo sent Noon a message through the water as he swam so as to warn her of her arrival. Soon the three Swimmers met up with Mo's Water Kin. Where they were greeted by Noon.

She studied Sura with interest just as Sura had studied Mo. When she finished she swam in front of Sura and introduced herself. "Good morning, my name is Noon you are welcome to swim with my kin" she said.

"Thank you said Sura in a kind voice."I'm Sura and I don't think I need to introduce my daughter" she chuckled at her last few words.

Noon smiled. "I'm glad to see you here Sura and Ducky. We plan on helping her with her Trial" she said to Sura.

"Thank you Noon, I appreciate your help" responded Sura.

"Hey your Ducky helped my Mo so I should help Ducky as well. We help each other, Land Swimmer to Water Swimmer" replied Noon.

Sura nodded. "So what are we going to do now?" she asked.

"We will take you to arch rock and teach Ducky some of our wisdoms" answered Noon.

"Great, let’s get going then" said Sura.

The Water Kin along with Sura and Ducky headed along the coast at a swift pace. They dived under the water a lot of times and giving Sura and Ducky a tour of the offshore reefs.  

To Sura it was like nothing she had ever seen. It was the most amazing sight that she ever had laid eyes upon. Ducky was no less enthralled, although she had seen some reefs the day before as soon as she looked at a different reef she found a new strange creature looking back at her, it was as if it was her first day in the Big Water again.

Noon led them to a large rock arch way that reached all the way from the sea bed to the top of a large cliff. It was quite breathtaking to Sura and Ducky. Noon led them to a shallow ledge that they could rest on. Once Sura and Ducky had settled themselves on the ledge, Noon swam up to Ducky.

"Are you ready to really learn how to swim Ducky?" she asked.

"I am I am" said Ducky in response.

Satisfied by her answer she then went over to Sura and inquired at what Ducky had learnt so far. Sura explained to Noon about what she had taught her in the Great Valley then elaborated to tell her about what Cyrest had taught her and what she planned to teach her. Ducky meanwhile was caught in the playful antics on Mo and his siblings. Ducky was trying to dodge the various blasts of water that were aimed at her, while trying to splash back at Mo.

Noon nodded after Sura's explanation of Ducky's training then called for attention. Everyone stopped to watch her. She swam back too Ducky and addressed her. "Alright Ducky we have agreed to train you but before we can start on the important stuff we need to get your fit enough to swim comfortable beside us at our pace" said Noon.

Ducky could hardly supress a groan. That's just what she needed, more fitness training. However she nodded in reluctance, she would probably need this training to overcome her trial anyway.

"Ok" said Noon "we will accompany you back to the cove but this time you must swim with us. If you fall back then your mother and myself shall drop back and keep an eye on you"

Ducky nodded nervously, she would be in for a hell of an exhausting swim if she was expected to keep up with Mo's water kin. She took a few deep breaths in preparation for her swim.

"You can do it dear" said her mother in an attempt to encourage her daughter.

"I am ready I am I am" said Ducky to Noon, who nodded.

"Catch us if you can!" cried one of Mo's brothers as they started to swim off. Ducky took a breath and dived into the water and began kicking her legs as fast as she could manage, she swam in a swift freestyle. Ducky was indeed going fast but she was dismayed to see that she was hardly keeping up with Mo's Water Kin.

Ducky pushed her physical limits, she kicked her legs harder. She took a brief breath at the surface after a few minutes of high intensity swimming, then pushed on.

"Good job Ducky" said her mother in an encouraging voice.

"Ducky" said Noon "dive and swim along the bottom, you'll find it faster than Swimming at the surface" she instructed.

Ducky nodded and plunged beneath the water. She dived down until she was just above the reef and powered through the water with Noon and her mother on either side of her. "I can do this I can I can" thought Ducky when she caught a glimpse of Mo's tail in the distance, so she powered on.

Ducky was giving it all her effort but after about another 2 kilometres of high intensity swimming and a few brief breaths on the surface, she began to tire rapidly. It became a challenge to hold her breath for long intervals during her period of physical exertion. Her exhaustion showed as her speed started to decrease and her eyes took upon a more desperate look. She was no longer swimming at the bottom due to the regular breaths off air that she now needed to keep herself going.

Sura and Noon both gave tried to encourage Ducky but the fact remained that the rest of the Water Kin were just a few dots on the horizon. This did not help Ducky, it made her feel very weak compared to the rest of Mo's Water Kin having only kept pace with them for about a kilometre and a half.

Finally Ducky's limbs seemed to stop as they reached their working limit. Noon quickly gave Ducky her fin to keep her at the surface while Sura swam beside Ducky with a worried expression.

"Are you ok dear?" Sura asked to which Ducky could only pant in response.

Noon looked doubtful as Ducky held on to her fin so that she could stay afloat. "Perhaps we should call this a day" she said to Sura.

Sura for her part was all to willing to agree, with Ducky physically drained and unable to keep afloat it was best they take her back. But to the astonishment of the two adults Ducky suddenly let go of Noon and started to swim again though at a lot more slower pace them before, she wanted to complete Noon's training and show to everyone that she could do it

"Ducky?" said both Sura and Noon in astonishment when she started to swim.

"Ducky you don't have to do this dear" said her mother after she caught up with her.

"I know I can do it yep yep yep" said Ducky, her voice was filled with sheer determination and an unshakable will.

"Come on Ducky, you can do it" said Noon. Who looked ahead and could finally see the cove come into sight. "Your almost there" she added.

Ducky saw the cove too. She kicked her legs with renewed vigour despite the fierce burning sensation coming from them. Her legs were aching and her heart was beating ferociously while her muscles strained with pain at being pushed this hard. Ducky felt a dizziness start to come over her mind as she became increasingly exhausted. Though she did her best to ignore the pain in her limbs, she could not ignore the growing dizziness in her mind.

Suddenly she could hear Mo and the rest of his family, though she could not tell what they were saying. Ducky knew that she was so close now. She closed her eyes tightly and taking a breath, she dived beneath the waves and then rocketed toward the surface. She jumped out of the water as if she was one of Mo's kind She opened her eyes and saw herself starting to fall back to the water with the shore only a few metres away.

SPLASH!

She entered the water and drifted back to the surface where she finally pulled  herself back onto dry land. Ducky collapsed and lay on the ground panting horribly fast, her whole world was spinning and the disorientation that she was feeling was overwhelming.

Sura pulled herself onto the shore and picked up Ducky in her arms while the rest of Mo's water kin cheered at Ducky successfully swimming the distance even if she did not manage to keep up with them the whole way. Sura nuzzled her daughter. "I'm so proud of you dear" she said softly.

"Congratulations" said Noon. "You are even stronger then I though you were".

Ducky could hardly hear anything in her current state and all that she could hear was gibberish to her.

"Thank you Noon for your help" said Sura "but Ducky will need a long rest before she try's this again" she added in a more serious tone.

"Of course Sura, I am glad to have met you and I suppose we will see each other again soon" said Noon.

"Goodbye Ducky" called Mo "get better soon" he said as he swam off with the rest of his Water Kin.

Sura on the other hand began to make her trek back towards the cave. Ducky had recovered somewhat after a while but she still took deep breaths and she was to tired to move. "I did it" said Ducky in a barely inaudible voice.

"Yes you did dear" said her mother, giving her a gentle nuzzle which Ducky greatly accepted. "We'll get some food and water into you when we get back to the cave dear" she added. Ducky nodded.

Soon the due arrived back in the cave as the sun began to set. Jane was already sleeping and Cyrest was waiting patiently for them at the entrance. "How'd it go" he asked when Sura came into view.

"Just fine but Ducky is very tired and needs some food, she has had a very tiring day" said Sura in reply.

Cyrest nodded and after Sura entered the cave he gently placed some ground stars beside Ducky who immediately started to gorge herself on this meal.

"My, what did you do today? You look like you have been running from a Sharptooth for the whole day" commented Cyrest as he observed Ducky.

Sura nodded "she had to swim at the pace of the Big Water Swimmers over a very long distance" she explained to which Cyrest opened his mouth in astonishment.

Ducky got up and slowly with weary steps walked to the spring and took a long drink before returning to her mother’s side where she curled up and was instantly asleep. Her deep breaths being the loudest noise in the cave.

Sura chuckled and wrapped her tail around her little one. Cyrest proceeded to his sleeping spot but Sura called him.

"Cyrest?" she asked.

Cyrest turned "Yes Sura?" he replied.

"Can I talk to you?" asked Sura and mentioned for Cyrest to join her. The old Swimmer placed himself down beside Sura and looked at her with an inquisitive look on his face.    

"What is it Sura?" he asked.

Sura hesitated before speaking "Well I was wondering about why you live in this cave" said Sura. Cyrest looked down as if something troubled him. "My understanding of the Trial of Destiny is that if someone completes it then they become the herd's next leader but you do not appear to have a herd" she said carefully.

Cyrest sighed and looked out of the cave entrance for a long time. Sura waited patiently for Cyrest to speak and when he finally did his voice was filled with much guilt and regret. "My herd no longer exists" he said in a pained voice.

"What do you mean?" asked Sura.

Cyrest closed his eyes, a few tears fell down his cheeks "I am all that is left of my herd, they died a long time ago during The Great Earthshake" he said. Sura looked saddened by this.

"Nearly all my herd was killed. I only had my son and a few other children and there parents but after an ambush by Sharpteeth only me and my son remained" sobbed Cyrest, his breath trembled as he spoke his next words. "My mate died long before that, I promised her that I would look after our hatching right before I was forced to...to...... Her injuries were just to severe and she asked me to do it.

Sura gasped, her hands were over her mouth as Cyrest revealed his darkest secrets. "I failed her" said Cyrest mournfully "and I failed Swayer" he broke down into a fit of sobbing. Sura put her arms around him in an attempt to comfort him. "I haven't had the heart to stay in a herd since" he finished.

"You haven't failed either of them" said Sura softly.

"Yes I have, I lost both of them and my herd is dead" replied Cyrest in a voice filled with pain and guilt.

"No" said Sura firmly.

Cyrest looked at her with a confused expression on his face.

Sura spoke firmly to Cyrest. "You have never failed them. Look at what your doing now. You rescued Jane and are now looking after her, you saved me from certain death and right now you are helping to train Ducky for her trial" Cyrest stared at her. "And it was never your fault that you lost your herd, not everyone can survive Sharpteeth but even fewer can survive The Great Earthshake and with Swayer, don't forget that if Sculra had not chose him then he would still be alive today" continued Sura.

Cyrest looked at her in shock as if he only just realised what she was saying.

Sura continued "I'm sure that both your mate and your son would be proud of you" she said in a compassionate voice.

Cyrest smiled sadly before nodding his head and holding Sura's hand in support. "Thank you Sura, I can see who Ducky gets her selflessness from" he said.

Sura nodded once. "Good night Cyrest sleep well" said Sura.

"Goodnight Sura" said Cyrest and went back to his sleeping spot.                      

Sura stroked Ducky's back gently. She thought of Ruphus as well. She understood that Cyrest missed his long lost mate and that she was helping him to deal with his loss. It struck her now of how lucky she was to have Ruphus as a mate along with all their children, it was even more lucky that she had not lost her mate or any of her children. Sura hoped that luck would hold when it came to the Trials.

She looked at Ducky and smiled proudly at her daughter. She had performed a difficult feat today, she knew that when the time came that Ducky would try her very best in the Trials. "Goodnight dear" she whispered as she nuzzled her gently. She could have almost sworn that she felt Ducky return the gesture as she disengaged. "I know she'll make me proud" thought Sura before falling asleep.            

Unbeknown to any of the sleeping Swimmers in the cave a fifth face looked into the cave. The face of a badly burned grey Flyer, His eyes scanned the cave and he grinned wickedly when he spotted Ducky sound asleep by her mother. Yes he would soon have his revenge. The Sierra turned tail and left. He would make life hell for this batch of Swimmers especially for Ducky, he just had to wait for the right opportunity. But there was one thing that he wanted to do first.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review of chapter 34:

Oh naughty Ducky, sneaking off without telling her mum :smile I wonder what Mo's family is going to teach Ducky that could help her survive the trial. Mo's family sure is very kind and they love to have fun just like Mo :)
Nest clearing duty...  :lol: Oh I would be punished very hard if somebody made me do that. Ducky earned that punishment though, yep, yep, yep.

Review of chapter 35:

Oh my, there really is a malicious creature in the crescent caves :o That sounds like trouble for Ducky unless Chomper (or somebody else) has a plan to get rid of it. Also nice talk between Cera and Topsy. Threehorns can swallow their pride after all :)

Aaaaaaand I think Sierra heading towards the Big Water is bad news for Ducky. What could he do to cause them trouble... I think I have an idea but let's see what's going to happen next. :yes

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 37: Flyer Tales

“That’s crazy Chomper, this plan will never work” cried Cera in protest when Chomper told them of his plan of using some bait to lure the Swimming Sharptooth out of its lair. Littlefoot however was of a different opinion.

“That’s actually a great idea Chomper” he said. To which Chomper grinned and pride fully pushed out his chest, much to Cera’s annoyance.

“I think it could work” said Ruphus thoughtfully, a calculating expression on his face. “But the current is downstream so the Sharptooth won’t even know of our bait unless it was on the other side of the Crescent Caves and there is also the issue of what bait we will use”. The Gang seemed to consider those problems.

“We could use fish” suggested Ruby. All the others looked at her blankly “If we caught a fish, wounded it then held near the entrance of the caves then it should bring the Sharptooth out bring the Sharptooth out it should”. Everyone nodded at Ruby’s ingenious suggestion, well almost everyone.

“And how would we be able to hold the fish in the water near the caves without getting eaten by the Swimming Sharptooth?” asked Cera sceptically.

Everyone pondered the question. They all knew that Ducky’s life was at stake here and that if they failed then it would potentially mean the death of their friend and none of them wanted that. They all raided their brains for an answer.

Spike suddenly pricked up and with an excited grunt walked off of the Crescent Caves and into the underbrush. Cera was not at all impressed by this development. “Spike!” she called “come back here!”

Spike stopped and turned to his companions and gestured in the direction that he was heading, he evidently wanted them to follow him.

“What Spike doing?” asked Petrie “Where he going?”

“We won’t know if just stand around here” Ali said and proceeded to follow Spike, everyone else followed suit. Spike led them to a tall tree that was tangled in vines. He grabbed one in his mouth and pulled until it snapped. He laid it down in front of his friends who suddenly looked way more excited.

“Of course” said Littlefoot in an understanding voice “we can attach our bait to the vines.”

“But how exactly are we going to attach a fish to a vine?” asked Cera.

But Spike had an answer to that he suddenly appeared next to the tree again, having wondered off when no one was looking. He was holding a curiously hooked shaped stick in his mouth which he placed beside the vine. Ruphus opened his mouth in delight when he saw what Spike had in mind. “That’s a great idea Spike” he said in praise, giving his adoptive son a gentle nuzzle which caused Spike to chuckle happily.

“How is that a good idea” asked Cera in a confused voice, she evidently did not understand what Spike was getting at. She always had the biggest difficulty of any of her friends in interpreting Spike's cryptic actions.

“I’ll show you” said Ruphus with smile. He bent down and picked up the vine and the stick and carefully tied a tight knot around the stick at the end of the vine and showed the finished product to the children. The hooked stick stuck out at the end of the vine which was tightly to the end of the stick making a basic fishing line.

“Oh” said Cera in understanding, then she smirked mischievously. “Now we’ll get that Sharptooth once and for all, we just need a fish now” she said.

“Leave that to me Cera” boasted Ruby. “I can easily catch fish, catch fish easily I can”.

Cera responded quickly to Ruby’s boast. “Oh yeah? I’m sure I can catch a fish quicker than you” she said ignoring her reason, her pride just would not allow her to back down from a challenge.

“Bet ten tree stars you can’t” said Ruby.

“You’re on” replied Cera aggressively.

Littlefoot rolled his eyes at the antics of the two girls. They were both highly competitive with each other and they often challenged each other to different playful games. “But now is hardly the time for this” thought Littlefoot but he could not help but follow the girls to a calmer section of the river. He just had to see Ruby beat Cera, he knew that Ruby would easily win the bet and he wanted to see Cera’s reaction as it would be awfully funny to finally have a laugh at the prideful Threehorn’s expense.

“This’ll be good” he whispered to Ali who sniggered in reply.

The group soon came to a calm, shallow expanse of water that was a very promising hunting ground for anyone looking for fish. Cera and Ruby wasted no time in dashing into the water and stat to frantically search the river for any fish. Cera watched Ruby closely, she knew that she would not be able to find a fish before her so she decided to tail her and snatch up her fish before she caught it.

Littlefoot, Ali, Chomper, Spike and Ruphus watched the competition from the bank with great excitement and interest while Petrie had a Flyer’s eye view of the river. “You can do it Ruby!” shouted Chomper encouragingly which was repeated by the rest of her friends.

Cera glowered at her friends on the bank, she would show them that Threehorns are the best. She continued tailing Ruby, making sure to keep right behind her and out of sight. Ruby was to concentrated on her task to notice Cera behind her.

SPLASH!

Cera charged forward at the same time as Ruby when a medium sized fish jumped out of the water a few feet ahead. The two girls were neck and neck. Cera slammed into Ruby's side in an effort to trip her but instead took a hit to her right flank from Ruby as she retaliated with an equally strong push.

They were only a foot from the fish when they both decided to dive for it.
Cera grabbed the tail in her mouth while Ruby grabbed the head in her hands and the two started fighting over the fish in a fierce game of tug of war. The two girls strained to hold on to the slippery fish which was starting to bleed in the middle because of the two dinosaurs puling at it from opposite ends.

“Those tree stars are mine” hissed Cera with a mouthful of fish.

“Don’t count your hatchlings before the hatch Cera” replied Ruby firmly.

The two pulled with all their might.

THUD!

“WHOA!” cried Cera and Ruby as the both fell headfirst into the river with a loud splash as a sudden weight collided with the side of the fish and forcing it out of the grip of the two combatants. Cera and Ruby emerged from the water coughing and spluttering in bewilderment with their friends laughing on the shore at the antics of the two dinosaurs. What had happened?

“Me think you own me ten tree stars” called a voice from above. Cera and Ruby looked up with amazement, there up in the air was Petrie and in his talons was the fish that they had been fighting over, it was he that stole the fish from them.

Cera was livid, she looked furious that Petrie had stolen her thunder and damaged her pride. Ruby was looked very embarrassed and a little annoyed at allowing Petrie to steal the fish from right under her nose. Cera cursed furiously as she waded back to the shore with Ruby. They were met with hysterical laughs from their friends. “Priceless” laughed Littlefoot “absolutely priceless” he cried, beating his foot on the ground.

“Humpth!” said Cera firmly as the laughter died down and she and Ruby collected Petrie’s bounty of ten tree stars.

Even Ruphus was chuckling a little “well there’s a lesson for you, to always keep on your toes as you never know what can happen” he said brightly.

“Let’s just get going” hissed Cera angrily.

The group proceeded back to the Crescent Caves to try out their makeshift fishing line. The fish was already dead and bleeding from being pulled by Cera and Ruby so all they needed to do was to fit the stick into the fish’s mouth, place it in the water and wait. But after many hours of waiting by the stream their only reward was frustration at accomplishing nothing.

“I suppose we can try again tomorrow” said Littlefoot glumly, which everyone agreed to before leaving the Crescent Caves. They were careful to leave the fish wrapped up in a few leaves near the water so they could use it tomorrow.

Echo stood still on the rock and looked into the water. There were two rocks that he had to successfully dive in between, leaving a small gap between them and no room for error. He had to make this dive perfectly if he wanted to escape injury. He felt for any breeze that might push him astray but felt none. He then shifted himself carefully on his rock so that he was lined up with the gap in the rocks.

Feeling everything was right he took a deep breath and bent his legs and jumped off the rock and plummeted into a steep dive. Echo felt his heart leap as the water came closer, he could hardly see where the rocks were now so he didn’t know if he had missed his mark. There was no time to ponder these thoughts however as the water seemed to rise up to meet him. Echo closed his eyes and braced himself for the impact.

SPLASH!

Echo dived below the water and right through the gap between the rocks. He surfaced to hear the cheers of his siblings on the shore. “I did it!” he cried enthusiastically as he stepped onto the shore.

“Nice work Echo” called Merri from her prone position next to Sura’s eggs. She was supervising the children’s training today at home where she could also watch over the eggs and keep them safe. “I really think you got the hang of it now” commented Merri on Echo’s diving ability.

“Thanks Aunt Merri” said Echo happily.

He walked over to her and the nest along with the rest of his siblings. They all seemed to be captivated by the eggs for a moment. Until one of them broke the silence. “I’ve never been a big brother before” said Bold who was hatched in the Great Valley in the second clutch.

“Well you won’t have to wait forever” said Merri in good humour.

“I wonder when they will hatch” said Opal.

“I think that we can expect them after the cold time dears” said Merri “maybe before or after The Swimmer Trials”. Merri seemed a bit tenser as she said that and all the children knew why.

Ducky would soon have to face the Trial of Destiny and if the eggs hatched before the Trial then they would probably have to cope with losing a sister but if they hatched before the Trials then the probably would never know their older sister, it was a bleak outlook either way unless Ducky could survive the Trial.

“I wish Ducky was here and mom too” said Ray sadly “I miss them”.

Opal put a hand on his shoulder in support of her brother. “I’m sure they will come home soon” she said in an attempt to brighten her brother’s spirits.

Echo spoke up again “or as Ducky would say: I will come home soon yep yep yep” he said in a failed imitation of Ducky’s voice. Everyone laughed at Echo’s show of humour, which was really what they needed at this time now. The sun was beginning to set in the distance, turning the green valley orange in the early hours of the evening.

“Do you think Ducky can do it Auntie?” asked Echo.

Merri bent her head to the children’s level and said soft voice that was full of resolution. “Yes little ones, I’m sure she can” she said.

“Where are we going Littlefoot?” asked Ali as her friend let her through some dense vegetation in the orange glow of the coming noon.

“You will see” said Littlefoot, rather cryptically as he pushed through some tall grass and headed for a knot of trees nearby. With Ali at his tail.

“Shouldn’t we go back home? Won’t our folks get worried?” asked Ali in apparent unease.

“Don’t worry Ali” replied Littlefoot confidently “I told them we would be sleeping over with Chomper and Ruby tonight”.

“And are we?” asked Ali nervously. She had no idea what Littlefoot was up too.

“We-el” said Littlefoot slowly “not really” he confessed.

“You mean not at all” replied Ali simply. “It’s not right to fib to your folks
Littlefoot” said Ali accusingly.

Littlefoot bowed his neck in shame. “I didn’t mean any harm by it” said Littlefoot “I just wanted to show you something”

“Show me something?” asked Ali inquisitively “show me what?” she asked.

Littlefoot smiled at her “well, that would be telling wouldn’t it” he said.
Ali gave Littlefoot a cheeky nip on his tail in response. Before they continued their apparent bush trek. They soon arrived at the twisted trees. The trees had a large amount of tangled roots and hollows beneath them. Littlefoot led Ali into one of them then walked along a well-known path to him and the rest of the Gang. Ali followed him all the way. Suddenly Littlefoot stopped and turned to Ali.

“We are nearly there” he said “but now I want you to close your eyes and hold onto my tail”.

Ali stared at Littlefoot in surprise, what was he up to?

“Why?” she asked nervously.

Littlefoot smiled, a friendly, warm smile “It’s a surprise” he said excitedly.
Ali hesitated for a moment. Littlefoot could be playing a trick on her but she quickly discarded that possibility as she knew that Littlefoot would never do that to her. She slowly nodded her head and opened her mouth and grabbed hold of Littlefoot’s tail and closed her eyes.

Littlefoot led her along slowly, so as not to hurt Ali in any way. Ali however was feeling very vulnerable with her eyes closed, her steps were slow and cautious. Ali was sourly tempted to open her eyes as she followed Littlefoot blindly through some tall grass. At least that is what it felt like. She felt Littlefoot stop and she stopped too.

“You can open your eyes now” said Littlefoot.

Ali opened her eyes and gasped at what she saw.

Littlefoot and Ali were in a small clearing that was about one longnecks length and width. It was essentially a large hole in the ground. Surrounded on all sides by tall grass and the trees that they had navigated through earlier. The grass below their feet was filled with lots of sweet smelling flowers that made the air smell fresh and luscious. The base of the hole was gently, gradually sloping downward into a beautiful meadow. There was a large pond at the corner of the glade with a small waterfall dripping cool, fresh water into it from a waterway near the trees. The water’s edge was sandy for a short distance until it reached the meadow. On the other side of the meadow, the glade had vertical walls on the left and right sides and at the far end. On the other side of the glade was a rocky overhang which led into a large cave. The evening sky gave the glade a very romantic contrast. Fireflies were starting to appear near the edges of the meadow. Ali had never seen such a beautiful little place. She was totally lost for words.

“Littlefoot I-“she could not say it. She just smiled and nuzzled him. Littlefoot returned Ali’s nuzzle and lead her into the glade where they stopped on the meadow by the pond.

“What is this place?” asked Ali in amazement.

“It’s me and my friend’s special glade” said Littlefoot. “We found it several weeks before you came to the Valley. What do you think?”

“It’s beautiful Littlefoot” said Ali. She sat down on the grass, Littlefoot joined her.

“Only me and my friends know of this place and now you do too” said Littlefoot.

Ali looked smugly at him “So this is where you wanted to spend the night?” she said.

“Yep, I thought you would like it”

“Thank you Littlefoot. You’re my best friend” said Ali, giving Littlefoot a lick on the cheek, causing him to blush deeply. Ali laughed at him and he laughed too. The two friends stopped laughing and nuzzled each other contently.
Finally when the disengaged Ali spoke up “Littlefoot?” she asked.

“Yes Ali?”

“I asked my Mom if we could stay here and she said that we could stay until after the Cold Time” said Ali.

Littlefoot smiled “I’m glad that we can finally spend some proper time together” he said.

The two friends watched as the stars filled the night sky and the moon blazed across the landscape giving it an eerie quality that was not expressed in the light of the sun. Littlefoot and Ali brushed up against each other’s bodies in order to keep warm.

“Everything feels almost perfect now” said Ali.

“Almost” said Littlefoot, a hint of sadness seeping its way into his voice.

They looked at each other with sombre expressions.

“I wish Ducky was here and okay and that there was no Trial of Destiny” said Littlefoot.

“I wish that too Littlefoot, I wish I knew if she was alright out there” said Ali. “Do you think they are okay?” she asked.

Littlefoot pondered for a moment. He did not know how Ducky’s journey had gone so far or if they were safe but in his heart he felt sure that Ducky and her mother were both still alive. “I’m sure they are Ali, I’m sure they are” said Littlefoot.

A few moments later Littlefoot and Ali were both fast asleep with their necks and tails entwined and their bodies nestled beside each other, both sleeping in perfect harmony.  

Littlefoot woke in the morning feeling very refreshed in the glade beside the sleeping body of Ali. In the early hours of morning, the sheltered glade that the two Longnecks had slept in was coming alive with noise from the various bugs and multi-coloured butterflies were already stirring.

“Ali” said littlefoot quietly, nudging Ali awake.

Ali opened her eyes and yawned, she smiled at Littlefoot and raised her neck and could not help but love spending time with her friend in this special place. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath of the morning air and let out a content sign. “Morning Littlefoot” she said, turning to him, to find Littlefoot holding a bunch of flowers by the stems in his mouth.

“Here you go Ali” he said through his mouthful of flowers.

Ali laughed at Littlefoot’s display. “Thank you Littlefoot” she said and took half the flowers from Littlefoot, they both had a very pleasant breakfast and washed out there mouths with the fresh water from the pond before heading back to the nest.

The two were halfway home when there was a loud commotion at the waterhole. Curiosity drove the two longnecks to the scene. They saw a confusing tangle of adults including Grandma and Grandpa, Ruphus, Ariel, Topsy and Tria who were all watching a grey Flyer, hovering above them.
Littlefoot looked closely at the Flyer and noticed all the scars and burns on his body, he recognized this Flyer. He was one of the Pterano’s two minions that helped kidnap Ducky.

“What do you want?” said Ariel coldly, having also recognised the Flyer as Sierra.

“I do not want anything” replied Sierra in the same cold voice that Ariel had addressed him in ”I’m only passing through but I also have a message concerning the Valley’s residents”.

The gathered adults looked a little surprise but no less suspicious. They knew that this Flyer was not trust worthy.

“I only ask that you hear my message and then I will leave” said Sierra in an unusually reasonable voice for the heartless Flyer.

Topps addressed him in a very disgruntled voice. “Very well what message do you bring and who is it directed at?” he asked in an impatient voice.

“My message is for you” Sierra pointed at Ruphus

“Me?” asked Ruphus.

“It concerns your mate, whatshername”    

“Sura!?” cried Ruphus in shock. “You’ve seen Sura and Ducky? Where are they? Are they all right? Did they find Cyrest?” Ruphus blurted out all the questions that entered his head but he also started to shiver, he begged that the news this Flyer carried was good news.

Sierra meanwhile was rolling his eyes in annoyance “He’s as bad as his little brat of a daughter” he thought. But setting his feelings aside he prepared to deliver the bombshell. All voices were silent as the gathered crowd waited anxiously for Sierra’s message.

“I have seen then by the Big Water. The kid is currently in the care of an old male Swimmer that I believe is Cyrest”.

There was a collective sigh of relief among the grown-ups but not from Ruphus “what about Sura?” he asked, trying to keep the fear out of his voice.

Sierra faked a look of grief, so as to make his ploy more believable. “Sura is dead” he announced in a loud voice over the assembled dinosaurs.
The bomb exploded. Sierra’s words descended on the group like a ton of rocks. Everyone had horrified looks on their face and a deathly silence came over the Valley.

“NO!” cried Ruphus falling to the ground in despair, tears flowing down his cheeks “she can’t be” he said in a horrified voice.

“I saw it happen” said Sierra. Though all he said was false, he knew that Sura was still alive but he had seen the scars on her body and deduced that she had been wounded and just to cause the Valley trouble he told them this news.
“Her leg was lacerated, her belly punctured, her back badly mauled and her neck slashed open by Sharpteeth” said Sierra in an almost mournful voice. But he was secretly revelling in watching Ruphus break down in despair.

“Get out of here you foul mouthed bastard!” shrieked Ariel and proceeded to chase a cackling Sierra away but she was also crying.

The longnecks bowed their heads in sadness. Tria was being comforted by her mate. Topsy felt sympathetic to Ruphus after all he had also lost his first mate to Sharpteeth. He walked over to the weeping Ruphus.

Littlefoot and Ali had so far been unnoticed but the news that they heard made them gasp in horror. Littlefoot was simply horrified. Had Ducky gone through the same experience that he had after he lost his mother? “Poor Ducky” he said mournfully, bowing his head.

Ali attempted to comfort him but Littlefoot was too focused on the traumatic memories of his mother’s death. He was sure that Ducky was now experiencing the same feelings that he felt after his mother died.

“Ruphus” said Topsy in a sympathetic voice “You don’t think that foul Flyer was telling the truth do you? He could just be trying to stir up trouble”.

“And what if he is telling the truth?” sobbed Ruphus “And Sura’s…gone, my children are left without a mother” he said in pain.

“You can still honour her by looking after the rest of her children and making sure that they live good lives” said Topsy.

Ruphus looked down but nodded sadly. “I must go back home” he said quietly and without another word started walking slowly back to his nest. Sad eyes followed him as he went. Hardly anyone could believe what they had just heard from Sierra but they had no way of knowing whether he was telling the truth or making the whole faƁade up.

“You did WHAT!” yelled Sculra furiously to Sierra when he told her what he had said to the adults.

“You said to cause trouble” said Sierra simply.

“I did not mean that you going around telling everyone that Sura was dead, you have potentially put me in a position to stop the Trials!". Sculra sounded livid.

“Hey, she’ll come back and when she does they’ll know she was alive the whole time” retorted Sierra.

“You had better be right Sierra, you’ve put me in an awful dilemma” said Sculra as she walked back into her cave and away from the incompetent Flyer before her.

Sura was walking out to a nearby forest to have a meal while Cyrest looked after Ducky and Jane. Ducky was still recovering from her draining swim in the Big Water the day before and so they had agreed to give her the day off training.

Sura was getting to know the lay of the land around this area thanks to Cyrest. He told her where the Sharpteeth preferred to hunt and where the grazing was good and where all the streams were. Sura was very thankful that Cyrest shared that information with her as she did not want to be caught in another Sharptooth attack like she had before.

The tall Swimmer ate some of the tree stars off the trees on the outskirts of the forest. There was a stream behind her in case she needed a quick escape route. In the back of her mind Sura was wondering how her mate was getting on. Cyrset was a good friend but he was old enough to be her parent. She missed Ruphus. She missed having those lovely conversations with him over lunch. She missed his calm voice that always helped her to maintain her composure in times of hardship. She also missed her dear sister Merri. She would be up to her neck in work, with looking after the eggs and training the children.

Sura thought of her children. It was quite a change from having a family with sixteen children including one Spiketail and going away and living with only two children. There was no little Swimmers happily playing in the water here like there were at home. No, out here it was always about getting Ducky ready to face her Trial. Sura sighed sadly as she thought of all the hardship that Ducky had been faced with.

She shook her head and grabbed another branch which had some leaves near the trunk of the tree. She tried to pull it out, so that she could get to the leaves which were out of her reach at the present moment. So with one firm tug she pulled the broad branch from its socket.

“AHHHH!”  

CRASH!

Sura was dazed as something fell on her head and knocked her to the ground in a heap. She struggled to right herself.

“What do you think you are doing, that was my perch” said an irritated voice that sounded very familiar.

“Sorry” said Sura. She righted herself and looked down and gawked at what she saw in front of her.

“Pterano?” she asked in amazement.

The large orange Flyer that had once led half of the mixed herd to their deaths on the way to The Great Valley and who had kidnapped Ducky during his last visit looked at her in surprise “You know me?” he asked.

“I’m Sura” she said but Pterano had never heard her name before and just stared at her with a blank expression. Sura scolded herself for forgetting that Pterano never knew her very well, so tried another approach “I’m Ducky’s mother” she said.

She could tell that Pterano got her point as his eyes widened in astonishment.
“Your-?” he said in shock.

“Yes, you saved my daughter when she fell, even though you did put her in danger in the first place after you kidnapped her” said Sura.

Pterano could hardly believe this. He knew that there was no doubt who this was as she recalled how he saved Ducky from falling into a fire pit when Threehorn Peak erupted. But what was a Great Valley resident doing out here? “Is the rest of the herd here?” he asked, suddenly on guard in case Mr Threehorn should suddenly appear.

“No, just me and Ducky” said Sura.

Pterano visibly relaxed at Sura’s statement. He looked at Sura. Yes he recognised her, but she looked very different then what he remembered and she had several scars over her body including one on her neck. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I’m here to train Ducky for the Trial of Destiny” said Sura sprightly.

Pterano gasped before giving her a sympathetic expression, he knew what the Trial of Destiny was. But he did not have time to think much about it when Sura addressed him again.

“Pterano” she said in a kind voice.

“Yes?” the Flyer replied.

“Can I ask a favour of you?” she asked.

Pterano looked nervous. “What kind of favour?” He asked wearily.

“Could you go to The Great Valley and tell my mate that Ducky and I are both alright and that we have found Cyrest and that she is starting to master her training?” said Sura.

“Not a good idea” said Pterano. “I still haven’t served my sentence yet, how would I get into the Valley?”

“Tell them I sent you” said Sura simply.

“And what if they don’t believe me?” asked Pterano in an apprehensive voice. He knew that Mr Threehorn would never believe anything he had to say.

“Tell my mate this” Sura told Pterano of how she and Ruphus first met. “He’ll know that I sent you then” said Sura after she recounted the story to Pterano.

Pterano however was not sure about undertaking this task. “Why should I do this?” he asked her.

“You would be helping me and my daughter, which might persuade Grandpa Longneck to reduce your sentence and I’m sure that you’d want to see Ariel again and Petrie” said Sura in a reasonable voice. “I would greatly appreciate it” she finished.

Pterano seemed to consider Sura’s proposal and after a few minutes he gave Sura his affirmative. “I’ll be back soon with news from your mate, Sura” He called as he took to the Sky “Tell Ducky I said hello and good luck” he said before speeding off into the distance.

“Thank you Pterano!” called Sura as he left.

Sura smiled, she would soon have news again from Ruphus. How she hoped that he was alright. She turned and started the hike back to the cave where Ducky was sure to be waiting for her.  

Wow. That has got to be the longest chapter I have ever written. Hope it's good. Any comments, reviews and improvements on the chapter would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

SilvahShadow01

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Plz keep on going with The Chapters... this Is Soooo Great! I Love It

SilvahShadow01

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Hey, I'm Silvah and I wanted to tell you that your chapters are phenomenal. Hope u keep writing more cuz I'm doing one that is gonna reprise ur story. I can't predict if Ducky Makes It or not but I hope she does and her mom too... And Imma make my episode 7 of Part I & II as a dedication to You.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Well I'm finally back. Sorry about the time lapse but I used up all my Wi Fi and so I have not had any internet for 2 weeks during the exam period. But thankfully I have the next chapter up and ready.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 38: A Dive Into The Deep End

It was midmorning when the vast Swimmer herd neared The Big Water. The adults were awfully tired from the long migration and for the younglings positioned in the centre of herd where they had the most protection by the adults from any predators were bored stiff. The journey for them was not only physically draining but notoriously tedious as well. There was no chance to play while there herd was on the march and any interesting subjects of conversation had all been spent in the early phase of the journey. None of this really mattered to the young light brown Swimmer boy walking on the fringe of the group of children who all appeared to be clustered around three large boys who were set to compete in The Swimmer Trials, these boys were bigger than others their age and were very popular with the other children.

The boys looked up to this trio because of their strength and the girls were simply to foolish see past there charming faƁade to see what these three were really like. Trough however was not interested in them, to him those three were just bullies. Not that Trough was weak or puny but he was younger than them and he was also the loner of the group, because of this he was often picked on by the three brutes and no one dared help or even talk to him for fear of getting beaten up. Trough was not interested in them he was more concerned with getting this journey over. He had been patient the entire time even though he hardly mixed with the other children outside of his brothers and sisters, he did however have one that he could talk to and that was the blue coloured Swimmer, Bluey. Even though she was an adult Trough often confined with her as they were both loners in their own classes and in a way he saw her as a kindred spirit and a kind friend who did not think of how other people thought of her but got on with her life. Bluey was the only friend Trough had.

Deciding that he could not bear to watch the girls try to get the attention of the popular trio, Trough decided to spend a little time with Bluey. He didn’t care that he would have to stray from the protective circle, he did that all the time. He found it easy to slip in between the adults unnoticed as they either too busy watching the surroundings or watching the main group of children. Trough slipped to the rear of the herd where sighted Bluey and her mother. He quickened his pace until he was close to Bluey.

“Hey Blue” he whispered.

Bluey looked down at Trough and chuckled before lifting him up into her hands and held him at eye level. Bluey’s mother rolled her eyes at seeing Trough. He often went sneaking off to see Bluey even if he would have to leave the protection of the adults. “But it’s not like he has anything better to do at the moment” thought the aged Swimmer, she was well aware that Trough was a loner and had no interest in what the other children did.

“I should have known that you would come and see me again” chuckled Bluey.

“If you could get past those so called “guards” then how will they be able spot a Sharptooth unless it was right in front of them” said Bluey’s mother with a humorous laugh.

“Well I am small and if they are looking for great big Sharpteeth then why would they notice me?” replied Trough, a wide smile on his face. He took great pride in his stealth abilities as they had kept him safe from Sharpteeth and evade the Trio of bullies.

“Good point” said Bluey.

“Do you know when we will get there? I’m so bored” winged Trough. He was totally over being guarded day and night and being confined to a small space during his waking hours. There was no privacy for any of the younglings when they had to relieve themselves and Trough was more the nervous and embarrassed about such things even though he told himself that he should be used to it by now.

“I think we will arrive at The Big Water later in the day” said Bluey’s mother.

“Is it true what they say about The Big Water? Does it really have no end?” asked Trough sounding very curious. He had never seen the ocean in all his life but he had heard many stories about its vastness from other Swimmers in the herd.

“Oh it’s true alright” said Bluey’s mother.

“It’s just a big expanse of endless blue” added Bluey.

“Have you been there before?”

Both Swimmers nodded. Trough looked very excited he knew he could always rely on Bluey and her mother to tell him the truth. “Wow” he said.

The two adults laughed heartily at Trough’s naivety. After the laughter had died down Blue fixed her eyes on Trough, looking at him as if he was a big enigma. “Why you spend more time with us then you do with the other young ones I may never know” she said.

Trough felt a little saddened by this fact that he did not spend any time with children his age. “I am just bored by the stuff they do and because of the fact that the Trio of Barge, Storm and Whirler won’t allow them to have anything to do with me, besides I’m sick of spending my time in the “safe zone” it’s enough to bore anyone out with nothing to see but the legs of all the grown-ups” he said.

Bluey was quite surprised that the other children did not accept him. “How could they not like you?” she asked. “Your mature, strong, fast, funny, kind and a good friend” she said.

“But I’m a loner and Barge does not like me. He threatens to beat anyone he sees talking to me outside of my own family” said Trough sadly, he could feel a lump in his throat and anger boil deep within him, he hated bullies and always felt compelled to teach them a lesson but his own values would not let him as it would just cause him more trouble.

“But surely some of the girls accept you?” stated Bluey in shock.

“Nope, they only have eyes for Barge and his cronies, none of them ever notice me besides most girls are just idiots” Bluey’s expression shifted into a frown “You two excluded of course” said Trough quickly.

"I’m surprised you don’t have anyone Blue because you’re a great friend” said Trough

Bluey gave him a sad smile while her mother looked at her with caring eyes. “No one wants me” she said “I’m just too unusual for them”. Bluey gestured to her light blue skin colour.

“At least they have a reason to not like you unlike me” said Trough. This appeared to make his friend very angry as she glared at him and said in a firm voice.

“Skin colour is not a reason to discriminate, nor is being a loner Trough but some people are just too blind to see past their own prejudices” she said, breathing hard. Her mother put a hand on her shoulder and exchanged a brief nuzzle with her.

“I’m sorry” said Trough sadly. “I didn’t mean to make you mad” he said.

“It’s not your fault dear” said Bluey’s mother. There was an uncomfortable silence in which the Swimmer’s continued on journey.

Trough finally broke the silence between them “Are we really going to The Great Valley after our time at The Big Water?” he asked.

“Yes dear, we are going to attend The Swimmer Trials” said Bluey’s mother.

“Hmmm” said Trough thoughtfully, he was not yet old enough to take the Trials for at least another year but he had already heard about them.

“It will be your turn soon enough my little friend” said Bluey in a reassuring voice.

“The Big Water!” shouted someone ahead.

The three Swimmers turned their head to gaze upon the ocean. It was just like what everyone else had told Trough about but at the same time it wasn’t.
Trough was simply amazed by the sheer size of the ocean that he was looking at “Whoa” he said simply as he stared in awe at the ocean. He knew what to expect but he did not expect the sheer beauty of the sight that lay before him, he felt strangely attracted to this massive mass of water. The two adults shared a laugh with each other as they observed Trough’s reaction.

“You better get back to the rest of the children Trough” said Bluey, who lowered Trough back to the ground. Trough was reluctant to leave his companions but indeed he headed off back to the centre of the herd. ”I’ll be back” he said as he left.

“I’m sure he will” said Bluey to her mother.

“He’s so young, kind and adventurous just like another Swimmer I know” said her mother as she stared into the distance.

Bluey held her mother’s hand and gave her a gentle nuzzle as her mother sighed. “Come on mom. I personally want find a nice place to rest after this long walk” she said. Her mother nodded and they both headed off, down to The Big Water.

Trough quickly re-joined the group of younglings in the centre of the herd after he left Bluey. Yes, there was another thing that he did not like about being in this enclosed space was that he could not avoid Barge when he chose to target him as there was nowhere here could go to escape his taunts.

“Ah look who’s arrived out of the blue. The loony Loner Trough” said Barge he was a dark brown Swimmer just like the others of his trio and he was also very brutish but none of that registered as he switched to a witty childish voice as he talked of Trough.

Trough rolled his eyes and ignored him as best he could. “So where’d you go this time huh? Trying to relieve yourself where a Sharptooth can get you because you’re too much of a sissy here?” taunted Barge.

Trough felt his cheeks go red with embarrassment as everyone laughed at him but he bit his tongue and forced himself to remain passive to their taunts even though he was feeling mad enough to punch Barge.

“Perhaps the creep has been trying to prove that he’s brave by sneaking around the grown-ups feet” joked Storm. He was a lot more cunning then Barge.

“No wonder no sane Swimmer would like him” said Whirler, he was the least brutish and cunning of the three Swimmers but he had a wicked sense of humour.

Trough tried his best at a come-back “and only a foolish idiot with no sense would hang out with a bunch of bullies like you” he hissed through gritted teeth.

This earned a lot furious glares from the rest of the children especially Barge and his cronies but before anything else could happen the different parents began calling for their respective children. Trough taking his chance quickly rushed to his mother before anyone could intervene. A few of his siblings gave him cold looks as the passed him and Barge glared furiously at him and mouthed “This isn’t over” as he left.

His mother took him and his six siblings to a few trees on the beach and prepared to make her nest for her and her children. Trough in the meantime just sat on the sand near the river mouth away from the other Swimmers and looked out over The Big Water and let out a content sigh. If only the peace lasted however as almost as soon as it began it ended.

“Trough! We got a score to settle” came Barge’s furious voice over his shoulder.

Trough groaned and got to his feet but before he could turn to face his adversities he was pushed to the ground by what he assumed was Barge. Trough and stood glaring at The Trio. “I was enjoying a nice rest” complained Trough.

“You’re going to pay for insulting us!” yelled Storm with as much fury as his name implied.

“What like you don’t do that to me all the time” replied Trough. He was not going to tolerate this bullying any further and instead of taking up his usual passive approach to conflict he took the mantle of an active participant.

“We’re going to make you wish you never even hatched” growled Whirler with lots of venom in his voice. A fight was not far off.

“How does it feel being the odd one out, the loner?” asked Storm, a malicious grin spreading across his face.

“Shut up!” hissed Trough.

“How does it feel knowing that no girl will ever have a puffed up little git like you” continued Storm.

Trough felt anger as he never felt it before. His whole body was trembling, his blood boiled and his face was red with fury even though he knew that at the present moment that he was unlikely to ever have a girl. “How would you like being in place?!” he yelled at the bullies. “I’ll tell you what though I would prefer to be the loner I am then the bullies you three are!”.

Trough turned his back to them and proceeded to walk away from them but he hardly got far when Storm kicked him in the back, causing him fall to the ground. Storm did not relent he quickly proceeded to kick and punch every inch of Trough’s body. He ignored Trough’s painful yells. He blocked Trough’s feeble punches and left him lying on the ground with a multitude of bruises.

“Get him Whirler” said Storm as he backed off. Whirler pulled Trough up and threw him several feet away. Trough lay groaning in the sand, he tried desperately to ignore his pain but it immobilised him while the bullies beat him. He was thrown through the air a few more times by Whirler before he backed off.

Trough got to his feet, he struggled to keep the tears in his eyes but to his surprise Barge did not make any move to him but instead stood a few feet away. Trough could have just escaped but the reckless anger that had taken over him held him in place. “You won’t get away with this” he hissed under his breath.    

“Ohhhh” said Barge. “You going to run off and tell your mother or that stupid weird blue brat that calls herself a Swimmer”.

That did it. Trough could take insults but he could not stand anyone insulting his friends especially not a kind friend like Bluey. He gave a fierce yell and charged at his nemesis but Barge lived up to his name and barged into Trough and sending him tumbling into the river and getting covered in mud. It was at that moment that his tears started to fall.

“Cry baby, cry baby!” chanted the bullies at the defeated Trough.

Trough lay in the mud tears falling down his face, his body felt like it was on fire as much from his anger as the physical pain he was in. It was a pathetic sight.

“That’ll teach you” hissed Barge. He walked up to Trough and kicked him into the mud he was about to deliver another kick when……    

“STOP! Leave him alone you big bullies!” shouted a feminine voice.

Everyone turned to see a light green Swimmer, a girl obviously run across the river and over to where Trough lay on the ground. She crouched down beside him and for the first time Trough gazed into the Swimmer’s eyes to see a beautiful light blue that seemed to reflect her caring composure. She offered him a hand which he took gratefully, his eyes were still looking up into the girls eyes he felt a strange feeling come over him that was totally unfamiliar to him as well as a strange feeling of numbness that dulled the pain he felt. He suddenly felt like he belonged in her arms as she lifted him up onto his trembling feet.

“Are you okay?” she asked in the most kind, caring and sympathetic voice he ever heard in his life even though he could hear how worried she also was.

“I’m f…f…fine” he stuttered.

He turned and looked at The Trio, all of whom appeared to have been captivated by the young Swimmer girl's looks as well.

“Well, well, well what’s a girl like you doing out here?” said Barge in the arrogant voice he usually used when talking to other girls in the herd but if he was hoping to get the affection of this girl he was sorely disappointed.

“I am helping him I am I am” The girl gestured to Trough “I won’t let you hurt him nope nope nope” she said firmly, glaring at each of the boys facing her.

Trough was a little startled by her speech but it also had a comforting feeling to it. But his surprise was heightened by the fact that this Swimmer girl was willingly helping him and standing up to the bullies in the process.

“Don’t you know who he is?” asked Storm. “He is but a loner, why should you care for him?”

“I do not care if he is a loner! I care because you are hurting him yep yep yep! Why are you hurting him though!? What has he ever done to you!?” replied the girl.

The three bullies were obviously taken aback by the female’s unexpected reaction. All the girls they had met had basically thrown themselves at their feet but not this one.

“He is simply an annoying git” said Whirler.

The girl gasped in disgust. “That’s no reason to hurt him!” she cried. “Now please just leave us alone and if you want to hurt him then you will have to hurt me first”. The Swimmer stood in front of Trough in a defensive stance.

All the boys present gaped in astonishment was this girl really prepared to protect this Swimmer whom she’s only just met. Not wanting to hurt the girl Barge gestured to the other boys and then addressed the Swimmer “Fine then we will leave but don’t think that this is over runt” he spoke to Trough and with a flurry of motion the Trio of bullies headed off, back to the herd.

When Trough and the Swimmer girl were left all alone the girl helped him into the shallow water of the stream and started to rinse all the mud off his body, revealing the many bruises that he had just gained. The Swimmer gave a shocked gasp as she observed his injuries “Oh those bullies are mean they are they are” she said in an angry voice.

Trough for the most part was still in a state of shock that this Swimmer had stood up to those bullies to protect him. “Thank you” he said.

The Swimmer girl looked at him and smiled, a loving smile. It was at that moment that Trough felt very light headed, a grin appeared on his face. “I am just happy that you are okay” said the girl. Then she asked “Why were those bullies trying to hurt you?”

“They don’t like me because I don’t like to hang around with them like everyone else in our herd does and when they showed up here they wanted to get back at me for telling them that only a foolish idiot would hang out with them” explained Trough.

“Don’t you have any friends?”

“Outside a few of my brothers and sisters no. Though I do have one friend but she’s a grown up and I’m not supposed to be around her” said Trough.

The young girl gave him a sympathetic look and put a hand on his shoulder and said “If you want to I could be your friend”.

Trough looked at her with a look of astonishment, never before had anyone wanted to be his friend especially not a girl. He was so surprised that he stuttered before making a coherent response. “I would love you to be my friend” he said with a wide grin on his face.

“Good, because I would like to be your friend too yep yep yep” said the young Swimmer

Trough felt his cheeks go red even as he tried to stop it, trying to stop the conversation from becoming more awkward he asked “Are you from around here?”

The Swimmer shook her head “nope nope nope. I only came here recently”.

“Me too” said Trough in an overly excited voice “My herd is staying here then they are going to migrate to the Great Valley”

“The Great Valley?” said the Swimmer turning her gaze directly on him.

“Yeah, some of the others are going to go through the Swimmer Trials, like those three you saw before, but not me I’m not old enough yet” Trough looked at the girl with a mixture of curiosity and confusion for when he mentioned The Swimmer Trials she looked a little down cast, she took a long breath and looked out over the ocean with a distant longing.

“Are you taking the Trials?” he asked slowly.

The Swimmer nodded but did not say anything more.

The two sat together in silence until Trough finally plucked the courage to speak up again “Do you have a herd nearby?” he asked with genuine curiosity.

“Not really, I just came here with my mom”

“But then where’s the rest of your herd?” asked Trough, trying to figure out why this Swimmer was out there all alone.

The Swimmer looked at him with a blank expression but he could see the raw emotion deep within her blue eyes, he wondered whether he had touched a nerve here but he did not get much time to ponder it as a loud voice called from a distance

“Kids! Come to the nest!” called Trough’s mother.

“That’s my mother, got to go” Trough said as he got to his feet, he felt a great reluctance to part with the young girl. He started to head off for his nest but stopped and looked back at the girl as she was turning to go “My name’s Trough by the way” he called.

“And my name is-“

“Trough! Where are you!” called his mother.

Trough took a look back down the beach in the general direction of the herd but when he turned his head back to the Swimmer he found that she had gone, without hardly a trace, except her footprints in the sand which faded into the river.

“Trough!”

“Coming mom!” called Trough in return as he headed toward the herd, but his thoughts kept on drifting back to the young Swimmer girl who had protected him. She was an enigma to him and he wondered who she was.

Ducky quickly made an exit after Trough’s mother started calling for him, in her heart she felt truly sorry for him that he had been beaten, teased, discriminated and shunned just for being who he was. She never had to experience that in The Great Valley because nearly everyone respected the unique traits of the individual residents no matter who they were. She could not imagine having to live like Trough and be almost completely devoid of friends, it was just horrifying for her and awfully saddening, that was why she wanted to be his friend. She also could not believe the abuse Trough had been put through and it made her very angry, she just did not understand why those three kids had it in for Trough.

She pondered much of these thoughts on her way back to the cave. She sniffed as she remembered her friends and family in The Great Valley. When Trough spoke of going to The Great Valley and of The Swimmer Trials it released a torrent of flooding memories of her journey and of the Trial and the feeling of loneliness. She missed her friends dearly and especially Spike, she just wished she knew how he was going and if he was okay, just like everyone else. Ducky had also been reminded of her own family, how she missed them all.

And last of all her thoughts settled on Trough, he seemed like a kind Swimmer even though he had been shown little kindness by the other children. He also seemed sad. “Well he had been beaten when I arrived” thought Ducky.

But he also seemed sad that he did not have the companionship that he deserved. But Ducky had also noticed his reaction to her. He had appeared to be totally captivated by her. He was interested in every word she said and appeared to be in a dreamlike state when he was in her arms. Did he really like her that much?

Ducky felt her stomach drop and a confusing feeling fell upon her. She had always been liked among her friends, family and other children in the Valley but no one aside from Petrie and Spike had ever expressed affection for her at such a level. She did not know what to think now, she did not know Trough very well and nor did he know her well. How was she supposed to handle a situation as delicate as this? She was swimming in very dark waters now.
Ducky pondered these thoughts until she arrived at the opening to the cave where Jane was playing contently in the shallow water with Cyrest keeping an observant eye on her and her surroundings. Sura was laying on the sandy beach and basking in the heat of the sun’s rays.

Upon arrival Sura looked up at Ducky with an inquisitive glance. “Well, you were away longer than expected, I don’t remember it taking so long for you to bath yourself in the stream dear” she said. She was evidently curious about what Ducky had been doing in her absence. She said she was just going to bath in the nearby stream.

“Nor do I remember you ever being dirtier then after having a good wash” stated Sura, eying Ducky’s feet and knees which where caked with brown river mud.

Ducky looked shocked she had forgotten all about her bath and about washing the mud off her feet after meeting Trough. She gave an embarrassed smile.

“What have you been doing dear?” asked Sura.

Ducky sighed, there was no point in hiding the truth from her mother. “I was going to have my bath” she said.

“But you obviously did not” said her mother.

Ducky nodded and began her tale about how she had stopped Trough from being beaten, how they talked and how he told her how his life had been. She also mentioned Trough’s herd were planning to go to The Great Valley for the Swimmer Trials.

When she had finished Sura looked at Cyrest with a contemplative expression. “This is certainly news” she said to him.

Cyrest nodded “Perhaps we can join them on the way back” he suggested.
Sura however appeared a little more worried. “What if Sculra has allies within that herd” she said.

“Oh Sura” groaned Cyrest. “Sculra is who knows how far away. Who would be loyal to her in a migrating herd? And even if there was one then how would she ever get a message to them about you if she is as you said to have hidden herself in the darkest corners of the Great Valley” reasoned Cyrest.

Sura looked thoughtful “I guess you have a point, I just hope your right and Ducky when you go back to the herd I would like you to be very careful and tell no one that you are going to do The Trial of Destiny dear, I don’t want you risk yourself like that” she said.

“Okay mama, but how did you know I wanted to back?” asked Ducky.
Sura chuckled as did Cyrest. “You like this Swimmer Trough, you were blushing the whole time you were talking about him”

Ducky looked absolutely mortified she had been unaware that she was blushing. Cyrest laughed at Ducky’s display but Sura looked a little more serious. “Dear, don’t rush into things here. You hardly know anything about Trough and I don’t want anything bad to happen to you, so just be cautious” she said putting a hand on her daughter and receiving her full attention.

“I’ll try to be careful mama I will I will but I don’t think Trough means me any harm” said Ducky in an attempt to reassure her mother.

“I’m sure he doesn’t but there might be someone else who does like those three bullies. Do you understand dear?” said Sura.

Ducky nodded “Yep yep yep” she said.

“Good, now I think you’d better get that mud off your knees dear” said Sura.

Ducky nodded and proceeded into the water near Jane and after scraping off all the mud joined her in a water fight. They splashed water at each other and laughed happily. Ducky hardly did any real manoeuvres when Jane splashed at her but rather let the water rain down upon her before splashing at Jane. The adults watched the two with smiles on their faces the atmosphere was very relaxed.

SPLASH!

Noon followed closely by Mo jumped high into the air before doing a display of acrobatic somersaults then landing back into the water and swimming up to the bank.

“Hello lazy bones!” joked Noon.

“Noon, Mo!” said Ducky in surprise and delight.

“To what do we owe the pleasure of your company Noon?” asked Sura.

“I would like to know that too” agreed Cyrest.

“I came because I had an idea that will help with Ducky’s training” said Noon.

The two adults looked inquisitively at Noon while Mo went to join Ducky and Jane. “I think that you should teach Ducky your wisdoms and then when she swims with us we can put what she has learned into practice” said Noon.

“That’s not a bad idea “said Cyrest “The Big Water is a great place for Ducky to test out her skills”.

“As long as I am with her and the tasks aren’t overly dangerous” added Sura.
Noon nodded. “We would never dream of putting your daughter in great danger Sura but we will present her with certain challenges. For example I believe that Ducky is currently working on refining all her underwater senses?” asked Noon to which both Sura and Cyrest nodded.

“What have you in mind for her first challenge?” asked Sura.

“There is a large underwater cave not too far down the coast from here. It is a labyrinth of caves that I know well. The deeper in you go the darker it gets until there is no light at all. I plan to swim into the centre of the caves and make a call out to her while she attempts to find me. You and Mo will be accompanying her of course so safety is all good and the cave will allow her to test her abilities in using her other senses to find me. So what do you think?” said Noon.

“I think it is a great idea!” said Cyrest enthusiastically “If Ducky can do this in a cave in The Big Water then The Crescent Caves should no problem”.

“I’m not sure” said Sura slowly. She thought the idea good but anything could happen in the ocean. “Are there any air bubbles in the cave?” questioned Sura.

“Not when it is high tide, no” replied Noon. Sura looked uneasy. “But if we go in at low tide then there won’t be any problem” said Noon quickly.

“Hmmmm” said Sura thoughtfully.

“Come on Sura, you want Ducky to survive the Trial don’t you?” said Cyrest in agitation.

“Yes but-“

“Then let her try this, she’ll be perfectly safe with you and Noon looking after her” said Cyrset.

Sura still looked uneasy but she consented. The three adults turned their heads to the children. “If we want to do this we have to do it now” said Noon.
Sure nodded but she had a very bad feeling about this expedition. She and Cyrest walked over to where Ducky, Mo and Jane where playing.

“Ducky” said Sura. Ducky looked at her mother with a happy smile. “We grown-ups have agreed that you will learn the wisdoms with Cyrest and then have a challenge with Noon in The Big Water” announced Sura.

Ducky nodded. “Your first challenge” said Noon “is to find me in an underwater cave system, were I will be calling out so you don’t get lost and your mother and Mo will also be joining you”.

“Okay” said Ducky, a little nervous.

“Right” said Noon to Sura “Let’s go before the tide comes in”.

Noon and Mo quickly departed followed closely by Sura and Ducky. Jane tried to follow but Cyrest brought her back to the shore. Meanwhile Noon led everyone along the coast past the tall cliffs situated along the coast they swam for a fair distance until they came to a depression in the cliff that reached into the water and this is where Noon stopped. “Well here we are” she said.

Ducky and Sura floated at the surface along with Mo. “Through that crevice is the entrance to the caves, you’ll know when it is time to begin when you here this” Noon made a high pitched whistle “Then Ducky it is up to you to find me, I will keep the whistling up when I am settled so you have a general idea of where to look” said Noon before disappeared beneath the water.

Ducky started to Hyperventilate in case the nearest air hole was far away. She took deep breaths in and out so as to eliminate her bodies need for air for a little longer. “You can do it Ducky” said her mother in a warm voice.
Ducky smiled even though she was nervous. “Stay close” she said.

“We will always be with you Ducky” said Mo.

Ducky felt a chill run up her spine when Mo said that. She remembered Swayer saying those exact same words. In the corner of her mind she wondered if Swayer was watching her from The Great Beyond or wherever people went when they died. She felt a little reassurance in that she was not alone here but she also knew that she would be alone when she faced her Trial.

Mo gave her a friendly slap with his fin. She could not help but smile at her friend. She was in safe hands…….or fins in Mo and Noon’s case but she was heightened to know that Mo was with her, he never failed in making her smile and she knew that both he and her mother would not let any harm come to her no matter what.

The wait drew on for an uneasy time in which no one said anything and Ducky became increasingly aware of her heart beating slowly as she tried to keep her breaths deep and slow so as not to overwhelm herself with tension. In all respects it was the calm before the storm. Ducky looked down into the clear waters below her that led into the darkness of the cave. Her impatience rose higher, why couldn’t Noon signal the start yet?

Finally after what felt like ages the high pitched whistle echoed out of the cave. The starting signal from Noon, which meant that she was ready and in position. Ducky looked at her mother who gave her an encouraging nod then at Mo who gave her an encouraging smile. Ducky felt a pleasant feeling of warmth come over her body. She knew that she could do this. So without further ado Ducky took a deep breath and plunged into the deep. She swam down towards the cave, the visibility was excellent here and the walls were littered with sponges and anemones.

Ducky swam into the darkness and soon all light was cut off, she had truly entered the cave now.

Ruphus was taking his turn to guard the nest it was good in a way to just stop and lay down but now it was torture. His body was slumped and limb on the ground as if it was pushed down by an invisible weight. The weight here was the news of Sura’s death. There was still a lot of red around Ruphus’s eyes from when he had been crying.

There was a pain deep in his heart but he did not know whether it was worth experiencing as he did not even know if the Flyer had been telling the truth but if he had been telling the truth…….No he did not want to linger on that. He just could not bear to lose Sura. The Flyer did recall a whole lot of injuries that would make survival very bleak and he did mention that Ducky was with Cyrest but he did not know for sure.

He had been debating for the past day whether or not he should go out and search for Sura even though reason told him to stay in the Valley and look after his family but a tormented mind rarely listens to reason as was Ruphus’s situation. How could he leave his children? But how could he bare to leave Ducky and Sura out in The Mysterious Beyond? And if Sura was dead…he thought of his children and closed his eyes tightly. It would simply devastate them. “Why couldn’t life be fair” he thought to himself.

He looked at the eggs and was reminded of the promise they contained, the promise of new life. He just had to hope that Sura was alive and that Ducky was safe.

The sound of footsteps approaching pulled him out of his dark train of thought as he looked up to see Merri settling herself down beside him. She looked sad but still retained her caring nature. They both looked at the eggs for a while.

“The children aren’t here” stated Merri. They had not told any of their young ones about the rumour of their mother’s death.

Ruphus sighed and looked at Merri. His eyes conveyed nothing but hurt and regret as did Merri’s. “Do you believe him?” he asked “Do you believe what that Flyer said?”

Merri looked down and closed her eyes, a few tears fell to the ground beneath her. “I don’t want to. But I can’t get what he said out of my mind” she said, her voice beginning to tremble. “I just hope that it’s not true but the way that Flyer described it he sounded like he was actually there but he is also untrustworthy” said Merri. She started to break down, her sobs becoming a bit more audible. Ruphus nuzzled her affectionately until she had calmed down. “I don’t know what to think” she said.

Ruphus looked a little hesitant but then finally said the idea that had been gnawing on his mind for the past day. “I am thinking of going out to find Sura and Ducky”.

Merri looked shocked “No Ruphus you can’t leave not now” she said in horror.
Ruphus looked away.

“You’ve got your children to look after” argued Merri “You can’t just abandon them, they need you right now”.

“And what about Sura and Ducky?” asked Ruphus. “They might need me, I can’t just sit around like this while they are in danger!” he yelled in suppressed anger. “I can’t believe it, I just had to know if Sura really is….”

They both broke down at that thought. The two Swimmers held tightly onto each other while they immersed in their grief. They both held each other’s hands tightly during this time as if they were the only things stable in the world.

Although Merri would not admit it to Ruphus but she too had the same idea of going out to find her sister. She loved her with all her heart and Ducky as well, she found it almost unbearable to sit here and wait. She might have run off if it had not been for a heartening chat with Grandma Longneck about how she felt after the Great Earthshake when her daughter and grandson were separated from her so she spoke to Ruphus exactly what she had told her that convinced her not to forsake the Valley and go on a foolhardy adventure that could easily turn out to be a wild goose chase.

“Do you think Sura would have wanted you to leave dear? Do you think she would want you forsaking your children and putting yourself in danger on the word of the untrustworthy Flyer that once helped kidnap Ducky?” asked Merri.
Ruphus felt ashamed. He certainly would not want to do the wrong thing by Sura.

Seeing that her rouse was working Merri continued “Sura would not want you risking your life for hers when she knew the risks of going out and she certainly would not want you to forsake any of the children, if Sura is……gone then you can at least honour her memory and legacy by looking after your children” said Merri in a trembling voice.

Ruphus sighed in defeat he knew in his heart that Merri was right, Sura would not want him to abandon their children on the word of untrustworthy rumours. No she would never abandon her children and nor will he, even if she was gone.

Ruphus nodded to Merri “I just wish I knew if she was okay” he said in a small voice.

“We all do Ruphus, we all do” replied Merri.

Ruphus and Merri turned their heads back to the seven eggs in the nest. Even when Sura was not around to provide comfort to either of them they could still find comfort in each other. But the question still remained. Was Sura alive? Everyone in the Valley just wished to know the answer to that question and they all sincerely hoped it was a good answer.