The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time: Far Away Home

Caustizer · 415 · 52609

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't know now if I'll have enough time, but I'll TRY to read this fiction and write a review for it for the Fanfiction Awards. First, I need to finish the three I've started, then I'll read the ones that still don't have a review written for them yet. this fiction already has a review, so it's only fair that the ones that don't have one yet get it first.

I'll tell you one thing, though. I've copied this fiction to my computer now, like I have all the others entered in the awards. Currently, it's 745KB of text! That's second only to Battle of the Sacred Essences 2: Corruption's Curse, which weighs in at 825KB.

So...yeah. This is a friggin long story >.<

Edit: Ah, and we only have three weeks left now until voting closes, too >.<
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Jul 8 2011 on  08:30 PM
Good news.

The next part of the story will be ready by the 14th for pangaea's birthday.

i encourage all readers to review both this story and the other short one i did for sky for the fanfiction award.
Aww, that's nice of you, Caustizer. :DD

But remember, if you need any extra time to work on the chapter at all, for any reason, please go ahead and take it. :angel

As I type this, my printer is churning out a copy of this fanfiction for me to read on my flight to Las Vegas this afternoon (assuming I don't sleep through it; if I do, I'll have plenty of other reading opportunities). Once I have had an opportunity to "relive" the entire story from the beginning, I will write a review for it to enter in the Fanfiction Awards. I promise I will also get around to reviewing "Far Away Home: Another Day". :yes

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
At last here is the second part of Burning In the Skies, the chapter that you all have been waiting patiently to read for more than two months.  Thank you all for your support in the Fanfiction Awards and your praises and criticisms of Far Away Home, for I appreciate them all.  :smile

The story is now only a single chapter away from completion (not counting the epilogue), and I would like to give a special shout out to Pangaea whom has been with me since the very beginning in August almost three years ago.  Thank you Pangaea and have a happy birthday! :celebrate

I will warn you that this chapter is one of the longest I have ever written (almost 6,000 words... yikes!  :blink:) so make sure your sitting down and have a drink of some sort.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part XI: Burning in the Skies (B)

Petrie flew as fast as his wings could lift him, being careful to keep away from any billowing columns of smoke and flames below.  His experiences near the great smoking mountain had proven that it wasn’t a good idea to tempt fate in these cases… best just to stay away so they don’t get angry.  The flyer flew low just above the tops of the trees, skirting the leaves and branches looking for the inhabitants of the valley.  He didn’t have to look very hard though, as dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes were fleeing the inferno just as they had been earlier.  Only a single longneck remained, standing with his neck fully raised examining the width of the blaze.  Seeing the lone dinosaur, Petrie made right for him.

“Doc… Doc,” called out Petrie, “fire everywhere, me suppose to tell everyone to run.”

“Taken care of it,” replied Doc without moving his head, “never need to tell a frightened dinosaur to put his tail between his legs.”

Petrie flew circles around him.

“Hah… he wasn’t lying was he?” the massive longneck mused without expression, sweeping his tail from side to side, “I think it’s time we brought this here fire under control by stomping out the source.”

Doc turned his head quickly in a beckoning gesture and yelled out to a passing threehorn and longneck.

“Trips, Bronton… come with me! We have our families to protect.”

Both of them turned and obeyed immediately, which clearly showed how much respect the denizens of the valley had for the lone dinosaur.  If it was serious enough for Doc to be yelling, then they would give him aid unconditionally.

“But where you go?” asked Petrie with confusion.

“Right where you take us,” replied Doc with a slight smile, “get us up to where it’s coming from and we’ll take care of the rest.”

The responsibility that the lone dinosaur was giving to Petrie was a large one, as there was fire and thick smoke everywhere in the direction they were going.  On top of that as well he had no idea where the Eye of the World might be… Sky had only said it was ëon the crest of a hill to horizon where the sun sets’, which certainly wasn’t enough detail for him to guide a bunch of adults towards it.  Not wanting to let them down, the young flyer circled once more in the air as he got his bearings before carrying on towards the west.

“It up here… follow me!” he called out

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smoky haze from the fire wafted through the boughs and hills of the Lush Valley as the gang of Littlefoot, Ali, Ducky, and Spike pushed on through it and onto their destination.  Sky had given them very clear directions to meet at the mountainous uprising to the west where the wingtail had said the Eye was located, but the fire was blocking the view of it and he was nowhere to be seen to correct them.  Surmising that they could run around the flames, Littlefoot carefully guided them along the ridge and through a running river as fast as they could run.  The wind was in their favour so for the time being it looked like they were going to make it.

“Just a little bit more,” reassured a breathless Littlefoot to the others.

They were all tired, as the gang had been running for a couple of hours almost non-stop.  Thankfully the long journey had put them into excellent shape, but even with a heightened stamina the length of the dash mixed in with the poisonous fumes in the air was having an effect on all of them.  Eventually, they reached the top of the ridge where they stopped for a brief break.

“It is really hard to breathe,” commented Ducky in between breaths, “…it is.”

Spike, who was fortunately much closer to the ground, had an easier time of it and was taking advantage of the lull to gobble down a nearby bush with berries in it.

“Come on you guys,” pushed Ali impatiently, “the longer we wait the more of the valley that evil wingtail will burn!  When my herd and I were travelling far away from the Great Valley, we saw an entire forest burned away in no time at all…”

At her mention of past travels Littlefoot’s curiosity was pricked.  When they had enough time, he could ask her all about it.

“Ali’s right that’s long enough,” added the young longneck, “we have to keep going.”

Hearing the slight noise of flapping wings in the air, Ducky looked up and suddenly cried out in alarm.

“Hide!  Wingtails, they are coming!”

They all knew what she meant.  It was Eybron’s flock of almost thirty, flying in perfect formation down the mountainside.  Apart from their wings, they were almost completely silent.  Wasting no time, Littlefoot followed his instincts and ducked behind a rock with Ducky settling behind him.  Spike jerked his head up from feeding and noticed their peril, lying down and covering his head.  Reluctantly, Ali joined the other two behind the rock face.

Surprisingly the wingtails flew right over and past them as if the two longnecks, the swimmer and the spiketail didn’t exist.  Not wanting to try their luck, the group remained in hiding until the large flyers were nothing but specks in the sky.

“Where are they going so fast?” commented Ali with indignity.

“I don’t know,” replied Littlefoot with worry, “but I hope Sky is okay…”

If the white wingtail had sent his entire wing after something, it certainly couldn’t be a good sign for their blue friend… unless he wasn’t their target.

“If all the wingtails are down there,” commented Ducky as she put a finger to her mouth, “…then who is up here?”

“Nobody but him,” surged Littlefoot as the impact of her statement sunk in, “we actually have a chance now… come on, let’s go!”

The longneck pushed up the slope as hard as he could, and Ali was quick to follow.  Not wanting to be left behind, Ducky and eventually Spike followed them as fast as they could.  The fate of both the valley and their friend was on the line, so every little bit counted.  Now that Eybron was alone, with Sky’s help they could take him on and stop the inferno.

The landscape was bathed in fire from horizon to horizon.  Smoke billowed into the air like a giant sheet of blackened fog, blocking all vision to the other side and removing any chance of Eybron watching the inhabitants of the Lush Valley suffer from his just retribution.  The white wingtail went about his work like a silent, brooding maniac, flapping his wings on occasion to turn the Eye of the World towards a brand new destination for his wraith.  Moments went by, and then another tree or bunch of shrubs in the distance would burst into flame and join the rumbling cascade of the burning performance.

A few of Eybron’s wingtails hung around up in the trees nearby, watching the awe inspiring spectacle with expressionless faces.  They had seen fire before, during the eruption of the Black Mountain and in years prior, so this was nothing new to them.  All that was important was that under that blanket of fire there were enemies of their lord and their race.  One of them wasn’t so sure though, and swiftly he entered the clearing at the hilltop of the Eye of the World making a clean landing right next to the glass structure.  The brown wingtail made a quick glance towards Star, who was laying with her eyes closed and pinned to a rock by constricting vines.

Barrau held back his unease and turned toward his master who was busy in his work.

“My lord,” the brown wingtail said, “a serious problem has come up that needs your attention immediately.”

Eybron growled in annoyance, flapping his wings and sliding the Eye around in a clean arc.  A number of wingtails screeched in fear and bolted to the air as the giant magnifying iris pointed in the direction of the trees they were roosting in.  Luckily it wasn’t aimed anywhere long enough to cause serious damage.

“…This had better be a big problem Barrau.  I don’t like it when others interrupt my work.”

The white wingtail narrowed his eyes, showing the distain he had of his underlings. If any of them ceased to be useful, he could always remove them anyway.  Nearby, a rock started to sizzle where the Eye was pointed it at.  Eybron seemed completely oblivious to the danger it represented… Barrau noted he could just as easily burn them all where they stood if he wasn’t careful.

“The inhabitants of the valley are resisting my Lord Eybron… a group of them is being led here as we speak. Longnecks, Threehorns… our scout didn’t see how many.”

“WHAT!?!” boomed Eybron in rage, causing some of his feathers to stand on end, “Who is responsible for this?”

The white wingtail constricted his feet, causing the glass he was sitting on to whine.  After a moment of thought realization sparked on his face.

“Nevermind… I already know who it is.”

Eybron turned his head and looked down towards the burning valley many kilometres below, a villainous smile forming on his face.  Sky was coming back to get his lover… how sweet.  For such a young flyer the blue wingtail had done things that had even impressed Eybron on some occasions.  Learning all that everyone could teach him, becoming one of Aizon’s Elite Creators, and even becoming a teacher himself were all considerable accomplishments that had made the white wingtail think highly of him at one time.  Sky had committed one terrible crime however that dwarfed all else… he had courted the female he too desired mere days before Eybron was to present himself to her.

It was a bitter memory, and one that the white wingtail was loathe to forget.  Returning successfully from the unspeakable quest his father had given him to gain acceptance into wingtail society (the official reason was that he had been raised by outsiders, but the real reason was that his father was so disgraced by his mere existence – for it proved his incompetence as a dad – that Tenebron wanted to get rid of him honourably before everyone found out) he was on his way towards his new home at the Sonicron when suddenly there was a commotion in the water.

“Glide stop it! STOP it you’re HURTING HIM!”

Eybron looked down, and below there was a startling fight going on.  Two wingtails, a black one and a blue one, were striking at one another viciously in the shallow water near the shore of the Abyss Lake.  The black one had quickly taken the upper hand, and he pushed the blue one down into the water, hissing and spitting as he punched and kicked.  There were feathers of both colours everywhere in the water.

“STOP IT! … Please Glide please stop!” called out a female wingtail from one of the trees above.  Her feathers were an impressive shade of scarlet.

Without thinking Eybron descended, crashing into the water right next to where Glide had pinned Sky.  The blue wingtail was gasping, trying to breathe as the wind had been knocked out of him.  Before the white wingtail had righted himself, the black wingtail had turned on him.

“This is none of your business,” hissed Glide, before throwing a surprise jab towards the head of the newcomer.

Exercising his outstanding reflexes, Eybron lashed out his arm and caught Glide’s fist mid-punch.  Mildly surprised, the black wingtail glared at him with hate.  The white wingtail returned the expression, and after a moment Glide backed off and looked away.  It was like staring into the eyes of a sharptooth.

Sobbing, Star had fluttered down and landed at Sky’s side.  She picked him up out of the water, and made sure he could still draw breath.

“How could you do this to me?” fumed Glide as he turned on his sister, “after all the seasons I’ve protected you I come here and find you courting this… weakling behind my back.”

“It isn’t like that Glide,” cried Star through her tears, “he didn’t deserve this…”

Eybron didn’t remember the specifics of the argument, not that he really cared.  He was too busy admiring the beautiful creature before him.  Her eyes, her tears were so sincere and so pure.  The white wingtail admired her heart, and at that moment knew what he wanted more then anything else in the world… her.

It had been a long and bitter flight since then.  His father Tenebron was prepared to do almost anything to make amends to his only child, and the white wingtail would have given nothing of it but for a single demand – he wanted Star free of Sky’s grasp.  The Council of Elders played along with the ruling of their leader, and soon that blue pest was gone for good.  As a nice bonus, they also gave him a death sentence.  It was the perfect situation for their happiness… but fate had other plans.

Eybron snorted bitterly as he turned towards where Star was now, pretending to be asleep on the nearby rock.  She was a mature, adult wingtail now and no less beautiful then she was then.  He wished she could have put the past behind her and forgotten about Sky, but no matter what he tried it just didn’t work.  Her death would not only free her of an obsessive love, but it would also free him.

“My Lord,” began Barrau again, “… what are you orders?”

Eybron found the brown wingtail’s voice to be annoying.  He urged to rip it out, so that he could be a silent servant… but that would have to come later.

“Stop them from advancing up the hill,” the white wingtail said after a time, “take everyone with you… all the wingtails under my command.”

The thirty wingtails present all took to the air as one, circling above and waiting for their master to finish.

“But what are we to do?” uttered Barrau with a notable lack of confidence, “they are too large for us to fight directly.”

Eybron growled in annoyance.

“I don’t care what you do… gash at their eyes, batter them with your wings, vent your waste on them… whatever it takes to stop them from getting to the Eye.”

“As you wish, Lord Eybron,” answered Barrau, before he took to the air.

Soon all the wingtails were gone, save for Eybron and Star who had opened her eyes to a grisly situation.

“And now to you my sweet heart,” taunted the white wingtail, “… I find pain to sometimes be a refreshing experience.”

Eybron jumped up onto the Eye of the World, and the unblemished glass clinked a few times as his foot nails tapped on it.

“Since it will be the last one you ever feel,” commented the wingtail as he flapped his wings to turn the iris, “… you had best enjoy it.”

The Eye lined up with her body.  The heat was so intense, so painful Star felt like she was going to die.  The scarlet wingtail started screeching at the top of her lungs.  The sound was deafening and could be heard throughout the forest.  If help didn’t come soon, it would be her death throes.

After what seemed like an eternity the heat ceased as the beam was cut off.  Star panted desperately as she caught her breath.  Looking up she could see her distant saviour. A cloud was passing over the Bright Circle, a small puffy mass that simply carried on its own course uncaring about the events below.

ëCloud’, she thought through the pain, ëwhat a lovely name,’

Up above Eybron snarled with hate.  To think that the weather would be the one to deny him his revenge.  Leaping off the Eye, he flapped his wings vigorously a few times and landed directly on the rock… his feet touching the sides of her legs.  He leaned over her, smiling menacingly, eyeing her trapped form with desire.

“I think I have a much better idea…”

Star started screeching again, but her calls were drowned out as he brought his lips onto her own.  He kissed her enthusiastically as she tried to push him off, but there was nothing she could do.  He was going to mate with her.

An answering wingtail call came from above the trees.  It was a long, echoing utterance that belonged to one she knew and loved.  

Sky was here.

Eybron didn’t have time to turn before a hissing, enraged wingtail dove right into him and sent him sprawling onto the ground.  White and blue feathers scattered everywhere, and Sky didn’t give his foe a single moment before he dropped towards him with his foot claws.  The white wingtail rolled over, dodging the blow with surprisingly dexterity.

Sky spread his wings again and powered backwards, narrowly escaping a sidewinder blow to the face.  Eybron hissed at him with low hatred.  The blue wingtail drove upwards and into the air, disengaging to begin a fight in the skies.  The white wingtail followed, and soon the two bitter enemies were circling around each other in the air.

“You came back,” taunted Eybron, controlling his anger “…your courage is surprising for one so small and weak.”

“Stronger then you monster,” shouted Sky in answer, “at least I don’t hide behind my servants instead of fighting one on one.”

“Hah… you really want to do this don’t you?” questioned Eybron as he rolled over once in the air, “very well, we will go by the Fish Fight rules.  There is a notable exception however… this time the loser gets to die.”

The white wingtail practically spat the last line, so thick was his resentment.  The two wingtails gave each other significant birth as they circled, but the ring began to tighten as each one was just as eager to tear apart the other.

Recovering from her near burning to death, Star pulled at the vines binding her with all her strength.  Giving up momentarily, she shouted to her mate above.

“You have to beat him Sky… our future and the future of our child is counting on it!”

Sky glanced down momentarily in surprise at Star.  She smiled and nodded back.  The blue wingtail felt his heart jump a little – he was actually going to be a father!

Eybron hissed in rage, and charged at Sky like a speeding bullet.  The blue wingtail tried to dodge, but they partially connected.  The impact jarred him, and sent him spinning through the air.  After a few jagged turns he righted himself again.

“It’s over for you Sky,” shouted the white wingtail, “if I can’t have her, then nobody will!”

They connected once again, slashing at each other vigorously like airborne sharpteeth. Sky took a claw to the side of his face, returning the favour with a wing attack across Eybron’s flank.  Fighting dirty, the villain snagged Sky’s tail and yanked him backwards, pummelling him towards the ground.

Sky’s world was starting to blur a bit from both exhaustion and pain, but he couldn’t give up!  He had to do this for everyone and everything he had ever known.  Eybron had taken almost all that he had… his love, his dignity, his home, and now the white wingtail sought to end his life.

The blue wingtail could hear a rush of air coming down from above.  Spinning over he got around just in time to see Eybron charging headlong towards him.  This was impossible!  How could he be so fast?  Sky barely had time to flap his wings before the villain’s feet connected with him again, knocking the wind out of his lungs.  

The next thing he remembered was the horrendous impact of hitting the ground.  Most wingtails have crashed into something once or more in their lives, but nothing compared to this.  Fortunately the soil was overgrown and soft… but that didn’t help much as Sky choked and gasped for his life as he lay on his back.

Eybron landed right next to the blue wingtail casually, watching him suffer noisily with his injuries.  It was quite pathetic really… the winner of their duel had been chosen by nature almost before it had begun, so the rest was just filler. He was going to enjoy this a lot, making up for supreme insult he had just suffered.  Star and Sky breeding a child behind his back?  She would pay for that dearly.

“You know it was never anything personal Sky,” taunted Eybron as he stood over the half-conscious blue wingtail, “you just… got in the way.”

The villain reached forward and grabbed Sky by the scruff of his neck, hoisting the smaller wingtail into the air.  Killing his enemy now would be quite easy… too easy in fact… so Eybron decided to shine him on a little.

“A nice view isn’t it?” he commented dishearteningly.

The fires of the Lush Valley had started to burn out in the absence of more ignition, and now that the smokescreen had begun to clear almost the entire world was visible.  Sprawling deserts, lush jungles, and even the mountainous terrain at the edge of the Great Valley could be seen.  The cloud cover that had blanketed most of their duel was subsiding, and rays of sunlight advanced rapidly across the land towards them.

“…it’s too bad it’s the last thing you will ever see.”

Eybron squeezed Sky’s neck tightly.  The blue wingtail gagged and struggled with all his might, kicking him a few times and dislodging a few more feathers but the white wingtail barely noticed.  Slowly the life began to disappear from Sky’s eyes, and his struggling grew more sluggish.

“Not today vermin!” Star shouted, her voice full of defiance.

Surprised by her sudden vigour, Eybron dropped an unconscious Sky and whirled about.  The scarlet wingtail had gotten lose of the poorly tied vines, and had mounted the Eye of the World.  Having seen the villain do it all morning, she had flapped her wings and positioned the iris so it pointed directly at the centre of his white feathered chest.

“What!?!” answered Eybron in shock, “how did you-”

The Great Circle’s light returned and it shone with a bright, burning radiance that blinded the white wingtail in a second, forcing him to throw a hand in front of his eyes.  And then came the heat… massive amounts of solar energy condensed into a single place made the temperature soar to heights only once before witnessed by another wingtail.  Eybron let loose a terrible screech as the ends of his feathers started to singe.

“This is for Sky, my brother, and all the innocents that you murdered!” yelled Star with anger that she seldom spoke with.

Fearing for his life, the white wingtail took to the air.  Determined to get his revenge, Eybron hissed with absolute hate and stormed recklessly towards the Eye.  Suddenly his feathery coat ignited, bursting into a searing hot flame that covered his entire body.  

Losing control the wingtail villain crashed through the focusing iris, shattering its age old volcanic glass and knocking Star from her perch.  The Occular popped lose of its moorings and rolled away off into the unknown.  With a thud, the two wingtails landed on the dirty ground below.

Eybron was screeching now like no wingtail cry Star had ever heard before.  He thrashed around blindly before taking to the air, staying aloft only with the remnants of his ashen wings.  Like a noisy, prehistoric phoenix he banked and curved randomly in his spasms of pure pain.  Soon he passed far into the distance, and as his wings failed at last the greatest villain in the history of the wingtails fell down to his doom in the forest below.

Star panted deeply as she caught her breath.  As the shock of what had just occurred passed, the she wingtail rolled over and onto her feet.  She couldn’t believe it… Eybron was dead!  They had won! But wait… what about…

“Sky!” she called out in worry.

Hustling across the dirty and in some places overgrown ground the scarlet wingtail came to Sky’s prone form.  His eyes were closed, but a quick check of his chest rises showed that her love was in fact breathing.  Relieved, Star leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.  His expression changed slowly from blank to a pleasurous smile.  Slowly, his eyes opened and he lifted his head slightly.

“Are we dead my love?” the blue wingtail asked.

Star giggled a bit.

“Get up and see for yourself,” she suggested with a smile.

Giving him a helping hand, Star pulled up Sky onto his feet.  The wingtail gasped in pain as the various injuries he had suffered registered in his brain.  Absolutely everything hurt… which was good.  That means that against all odds, the two of them had survived.

“Yes,” coughed Sky as he clutched his chest, “that certainly proves it.”

With a warm, passionate expression Star licked the side of his face.  Suddenly, nothing hurt anymore.  Without a hint of hesitation Sky returned the gesture, and soon they were kissing repeatedly with a passion that could have carried them anywhere.  There was no telling how much time had passed, only that it passed in her arms.  Their embrace was interrupted suddenly by an unexpected voice.

“I wonder what they are doing,” stated Ducky with curiosity, scratching the side of her beak.

Spike just grunted and shrugged, wolfing down another unfortunate bush as he was known to do in just about any situation.

“I don’t know Ducky,” faked Littlefoot, trying to hide his embarrassment at catching his friend in such a tender spot.

“I do,” added Ali, and she licked Littlefoot on the cheek as well.  He went bright red, and returned her an understanding glance.

Sky gasped, and the two lovers separated in a mere moment.  Annoyance was all over the blue wingtail’s face.  This was private!  Not only that, but the gang had interrupted his… ambitions.

“Littlefoot, Ali, Ducky, Spike… what are you doing here?” snapped Sky as an unintended reaction.

“We came up to help, just like you said… yep, yep, yep,” replied the obviously unphased swimmer.

“I… ah…” Sky stammered a bit, before regaining himself.  Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Star had backed away in shyness.

He didn’t blame her… his love hadn’t even met the two longnecks, the swimmer and the spiketail.  It was fully fitting and proper to introduce them.

“My friends,” began Sky with dignity, “I would like you meet the love of my life… the wingtail that means the most to me in the entire world… Star.”

To her credit the scarlet wingtail bowed her head.  Ducky stepped forward, and the two dinosaurs shook hands.  Sky noticed immediately really how much the gang had grown… Ducky was now a head taller then both the wingtails and was starting to take on the appearance of an adult swimmer.  Spike too had large spikes protruding from his back, and took up quite a bit more space then he had when they left the Great Valley.  Those two however were nothing compared to Littlefoot and Ali, who were now almost twice as tall as Sky counting their necks.  These land-walkers sure grow to impressive sizes awfully quickly.

As introductions completed, an air of relief and celebration came over the gathering. They all talked as if they were lifelong friends (which they were) and went over the details of what had happened up to that point.

“So where is Eybron,” commented Littlefoot with a hint of concern, “is he… you know…”

“Yes he is finally dead,” replied Star with relief and a hint of bitterness, “he fought Sky, and my love won just like he deserved to.”

Surprise highlighted the blue wingtail’s features, but no sooner had Star and he rubbed noses affectionately that the small fib had become the unblemished truth.

“Great!” exclaimed Ali, “so I guess this means that we-”

Thud.  

The sound of a heavy landing behind Sky and Star caused everyone to turn and look towards its source.  Star gasped slightly, but otherwise nobody made a sound.  Glide was here, and by the contorted expression on his face they could all tell he wasn’t too happy.

“Where is HE?” boomed the black wingtail in anger, “where IS that white freak?  Tell me so that I can RIP his heart out!”

“Glide,” answered Star calmly as she took a step towards her brother, “its okay… he’s dead.  Sky fought him and he killed him.”

Glide noticeably relaxed, but only slightly.  He still had lots of pent up aggression from the long flight to the Eye, and he planned to vent it somewhere.

“Did he?” questioned the black wingtail coldly, before turning to Sky.  He ran his eyes up and down his former foe a few times, before snorting in disgust.

“Let’s go,” he said to Star, and he spread his wings to prepare for flight.

“No,” she answered, hardening her expression defiantly.  Glide folded his wings, and came towards his sister.

“I said, let’s go.”

The black wingtail grabbed one of her wrists. In a moment Sky hissed at him and took a step forward.  Nobody treats his mate like that… even one of her family members. Like a lightning bolt Glide extended a hand and shoved him backwards.

Littlefoot and Ali lowered their heads and growled.  They too had lots of pent up aggression, and were all too happy to vent it on a wingtail of their choosing.  The situation was getting ugly really fast.  Glide stepped backwards and prepared to fight, but midstep he was hit by a shove from another wingtail and stumbled a bit.  It was his own sister, Star.

“I’m staying right here with Sky,” she declared defiantly.

“Grr why are you acting like this!?!” shouted Glide as he pointed at Sky, “Can’t you see him for what he really is?  He is a traitor to the wingtail race, and he will betray you!  We are going home now before I get really angry and have to start breaking bones.”

“It’s because I LOVE HIM!” shouted Star, with more force then she had ever used with her brother ever before.  

“…and if you can’t see that then I CAN’T LOVE YOU!”

The statement was so direct, so impactful that it was enough to cause his eyes to widen, and Glide stepped backwards.  The hardened bubble that had surrounded the wingtail almost all his life was suddenly shattered, and he felt his strength of purpose start to melt away.  She wouldn’t love him anymore? Star was everything to him and he only cared about what was best for her.  Maybe what she wanted… was the best thing. A saddening thought fell upon him, a thought that she wasn’t a wingling anymore and no longer needed his protection.  Just as the shell opened Glide clasped it shut again, rehardening his expression.

“Well?” asked Star assertively, expecting an answer.  They all were.

Glide snorted.

“Fine.”

With great effort, the black wingtail turned towards his nemesis and rival… the blue wingtail that had changed so much of his life it was almost unspeakable.  Swallowing his pride, Glide spoke.

“You have earned my sister’s trust and my… approval.”

Sky beamed with accomplishment, but Glide suddenly poked him in the chest with a pointing finger.

“But… if you ever hurt her you will be answering to me. Got it?”

The blue wingtail nodded, and just like that their long standing feud was over. For Sky, Star, and the rest of the gang it was an elating thought.  All of a sudden things were interrupted by the stamping of feet, and the vicious snapping of trees in the near woods.

“Petrie return, haha,” called out a flyer circling overhead.

“Petrie!” exclaimed Ducky with joy as she looked upwards.  Spike seemed equally ecstatic, as did Littlefoot and Ali.

“Welcome back Petrie,” commented Littlefoot with pride as his flying friend landed on the top of his head.

“Guess what?  Petrie not afraid anymore!  Fly through smoke and burning fire and flock of wingtails but make it through unhurt!  Me invincible!”

Littlefoot laughed.  It looked like Petrie was growing up too.

“So I guess this means you brought help,” stated Ali as she looked towards the stirring forest, “We’ll get to see the Lone Dinosaur in action again.”

Sure enough with a heaving grunt Doc rammed aside a bunch of trees and pressed his way into the clearing.  Unlike the gang who were mostly uninjured despite the dirt and grime, he was covered in scratches and marks that shared a certain similarity with wingtail droppings.  Clearly the longneck had seen better days.

“Hey Doc,” greeted Littlefoot, “guess what… we did it!  Eybron’s gone, and the Lush Valley is safe!”

“Humph,” grumbled the large longneck, and he lowered his head to where Sky, Star, and Glide were standing, “I’ve had just about enough of you wingtail types around here… scram before I beat you off like the others.”

“Don’t worry,” assured Littlefoot hastily, “Sky and Star are our friends.  They helped us get rid of him.”

“And what about that one?” growled Doc as he turned his massive head towards Glide, “ain’t seen him before…”

“He’s uh…” began Ali.

“…my brother,” finished Star.

Satisfied, the longneck backed his head away and settled his gaze on the somewhat tattered Eye of the World.

“Mighty strange tree this is,” he commented, “… and in my wanderings I’ve seen that no good comes of ëstrange’ things.”

On purpose the longneck leaned back on his hind legs, rearing up his front feet into the air.  Everyone was so impressed that only one caught on to what exactly was about to happen.

“Get out of the way!” shouted Glide desperately, “NOW!”

The gathered dinosaurs scattered into the air and into the bushes as the Lone Dinosaur brought his feet crashing down on the ancient glass sculpture.  Pieces of near irreplaceable volcanic assembly caved in on themselves and shattered into a thousand shards, scattering in all directions.  Doc didn’t let up after the first blow, and did it again and again pummelling the precious piece of wingtail heritage into a pile of scraps.

No more would the Eye of the World threaten anyone with its terrible abilities… especially the denizens of the Lush Valley.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for this star day gift, Caustizer. :DD I sincerely apologize that I couldn’t review it on my actual birthday (or at least sooner than today), and for not thanking you for it until now. Unfortunately to say, my brain is pretty much burnt out these days, so forgive me if my review is not as eloquent or enthusiastic as usual.

“Doc… Doc,” called out Petrie, “fire everywhere, me suppose to tell everyone to run.”
“Trips, Bronton… come with me! We have our families to protect.”
I think you should have more use of exclamation points in these sentences. I just don’t think the urgency of the characters’ lines is emphasized enough.

Also, considering that it’s a title, shouldn’t “lone dinosaur” be capitalized?

even with a heightened stamina the length of the dash mixed in with the poisonous fumes in the air was having an effect on all of them.
I would use “combined” in this instance. “Mixed in” doesn’t really work.

The white wingtail went about his work like a silent, brooding maniac, flapping his wings on occasion to turn the Eye of the World towards a brand new destination for his wraith.
I can’t remember if I’ve brought this up before (and I’m sorry if I haven’t), but throughout this story you’ve been misspelling “wrath” (as in rage or fury) as “wraith” (a spirit or apparition).

As usual, you are very good at helping the reader visualize the scenery as you tell the story. The first paragraph at the beginning of the third section of the chapter really captured the scale and intensity of the destruction Eybron was wreaking with the Eye of the World.

It was a bitter memory, and one that the white wingtail was loathe to forget.
Should be “loath”.

I thought that Eybron’s flashback scene might have been a little too integrated into the rest of the chapter. I would have italicized it to distinguish it from the present-day narrative.

After what seemed like an eternity the heat ceased as the beam was cut off. Star panted desperately as she caught her breath. Looking up she could see her distant saviour. A cloud was passing over the Bright Circle, a small puffy mass that simply carried on its own course uncaring about the events below.

ëCloud’, she thought through the pain, ëwhat a lovely name,’
You are so brilliant at subtly indicating where the characters get the names for their children. :lol (Seriously, I love it!) I would italicize Star’s thoughts, though (and later do the same with the “thud” sound effect heralding Glide’s arrival).

The confrontation between Eybron and Sky was outstanding. Actually, the whole section of the chapter at the Eye of the World was outstanding. It was a real thrill to read. :yes

I have to say, I didn’t expect Star would be the one to kill Eybron. :wow I believe that scene qualifies as her Crowning Moment of Awesome in this story. :smile And fantastic job giving Eybron a spectacular death scene. One thing I’m a little unclear on, though, is why Star wasn’t severely harmed by the Eye of the World when it was focused on her. Was Eybron only aiming some of the lenses at her, and so the beam wasn’t as intense?

The two wingtails gave each other significant birth as they circled, but the ring began to tighten as each one was just as eager to tear apart the other.
Should be “berth”.

Admittedly, I was a little disappointed that the gang (and, to a lesser extent, Glide) didn’t arrive at the scene in time to take part in the climax. I’m holding out hope that there will be a “second climax” of some sort in the next chapter that they’ll have an opportunity to contribute to.

“Grr* why are you acting like this!?!” shouted Glide as he pointed at Sky, “Can’t you see him for what he really is? He is a traitor to the wingtail race, and he will betray you! We are going home now before I get really angry and have to start breaking bones.
I think only one exclamation point and one question mark is needed (I usually put the exclamation point at the end, since it is less necessary than the question mark). I would put the excess one at the end of the paragraph.
*Insert ellipse (…).

On purpose the longneck leaned back on his hind legs, rearing up his front feet into the air.
Perhaps this should be “purposefully” or “with purpose”. It doesn’t sound quite right the way it is.

I had a feeling that the Eye of the World would be destroyed, but I wouldn’t have guessed how it would happen or who, if anyone, would be responsible. Another awesome scene. :yes

I can still think of a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up in the next chapter: Will the gang reunite and return to the Great Valley? Where does Chomper go, and does he ever get to see what it was that Thud wanted to show him when he met him in the jungle? What happens to Barrau and Eybron’s other followers? And, most of all, what becomes of Tyron and his empire?

In summary, AWESOME chapter. :D Can’t wait for the rest. :smile

As promised, I re-read the entirety of Far Away Home (up to the last chapter) during my vacation to provide myself with a fresh memory of the whole thing. (It was surprising how many new details I noticed my second time reading the story.) Expect to see a review in the Fanfiction Awards soon. ;)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Ooh! This was intense! Like... super awesome! My heart was pumping like crazy while reading this chapter. :DD
The last part was nice. It was a little weird that Sky and Star are going lovey dovey all of a sudden after the fight (or did I skip a part?). Anyways, loved the quote from Star telling her brother she doesn't love him anymore. Quite some powerful words! :D

Aww, so it's almost over now? ;^;
It makes me sad to see something coming to an end but it makes me happy at the same time to see you completing an awesome story that has gone for a year now. :^.^:
Only one last chapter to go now right? Let it end with a blast! :lol:

Uuuuuuwaaah! This is so awesome! :o It motivates me to the extreme! :wow  :idea  :D

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have to say, I didn’t expect Star would be the one to kill Eybron.  I believe that scene qualifies as her Crowning Moment of Awesome in this story.  And fantastic job giving Eybron a spectacular death scene. One thing I’m a little unclear on, though, is why Star wasn’t severely harmed by the Eye of the World when it was focused on her. Was Eybron only aiming some of the lenses at her, and so the beam wasn’t as intense?

The beam was on Star for a lot shorter length of time then it was on Eybron.  The white wingtail didn't react to the attack before he was already catching fire, and by then it was too late.  She was lucky that the Cloud saved her!

Ooh! This was intense! Like... super awesome! My heart was pumping like crazy while reading this chapter.
The last part was nice. It was a little weird that Sky and Star are going lovey dovey all of a sudden after the fight (or did I skip a part?). Anyways, loved the quote from Star telling her brother she doesn't love him anymore. Quite some powerful words!

This scene was the big makeout scene for Sky and Star after beating the villian that had done them so much wrong, but I think you guys are a bit saturated with that whole 'lovey dovey' thing from FAH: Another Day.  Perhaps I chose to write it too soon in that regard.

I'm glad you like the chapter, and I hope to see some good art from you Sky soon!

Caustizer :angel

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
About time Eybron got his tail whooped, and by an unlikely hero too :wow!  Until now, Star came across as just another damsel in distress.  Nice to see her surprise readers :smile.

And I see Petrie has returned.  Hopefully the rest of the Gang will reunite with Littlefoot's group soon :yes.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've started the next chapter of Far Away Home, though it seems like I won't make the 'end of the summer' deadline since they are all so long! :confused

I think the problem is that as I wrote new chapters I got better at it so I wanna try more things, throw in more plot twists, etc. to keep it interesting to me, but now that its so close to being done I just have so so many ends to wrap up its overwhelming! :angel

Anyway, after I'm finished this story I'll get back onto 'Ruby In the Jungle' before doing "Into Blacksun"... though I think it will be markedly shorter then this one.  I don't wanna spend another 2 years writing it!

Caustizer.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
DAMN! That was a seriously awesome scene.

I loved how Eybron was killed with his own superweapon - and by the one he had first test fired it on. And of course, Combat Pragmatism by the Wingtails.

I didn't like how the flashback was so well integrated; I couldn't tell what was past and what was present.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The next and last chapter is in the works. Awesome! ...and sad at the same time :o
I'm really looking forward to this. :D

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's that time again!  Yes, the next chapter of Far Away Home is ready and published.  I hope you all like it, and choose to comment for me!

Caustizer :angel

Part XII: Sky’s Trial (A)

The sky was lit up by the crystal shine of a crescent moon as the colours of the landscape dulled to accommodate the passage of the night.  Crickets tittered their usual routine like a natural symphony and the tropical grasses fluttered from the light passage of cool winds.  The trees thinned at the south end of the Lush Valley, eventually disappearing altogether in the rain deprived ëDry Gorge’ leaving a place of barren but habitable land where no traveller would wish to stay for too long.

Things had settled all into place for Littlefoot and his friends, and looking back the longneck was grateful for it.  The fires in the Lush Valley eventually burned themselves out, leaving the inhabitants to carry on with their lives.  The entire group of them had returned including Doc, and since the word about his deed had already spread around a heroes welcome accompanied them wherever they went.  

Sky and the other two wingtails had wisely taken a different course to resolve what his blue friend had described as ërecent family issues’.  Littlefoot assumed it had something to do with that other black wingtail – ëGlide’ was it? – adjusting to not trying to kill them anymore.  Wingtails were such strange creatures for that… keeping secrets and lying and holding grudges when there was really no need for it.  The leaf eaters in the Great Valley had learned to forgive and forget for the most part, so it wasn’t something he understood too well.

“Goodbye Doc!” shouted Ducky as she waved at the longneck and his family just prior to their departure.

“We’ll see you soon,” added Littlefoot with a smile.

“Stay safe kid,” replied Doc roughly, turning his head towards Dara and his daughter as if he expected they had something to add.

“It’s been fun Littlefoot… my my it has,” commented Dara with a homely nod.

“Bye,” blurted her daughter awkwardly, since she didn’t really know any of them that well.

And then Littlefoot, Ducky, Ali, Petrie and Spike all made on their way out of the Lush Valley.  They were in no great rush, since Sky hadn’t wanted to meet up with them again until the next morning.  Casual conversation covered the whole trip, with Petrie and Ducky talking about things they were and weren’t afraid of, followed by why Spike eats so much, and then why sharpteeth have such sharp teeth and… by then Littlefoot had stopped listening.  There was something odd about Ali’s expression… like there had been a big glob of food in her mouth for the past hour and a half.

“Ali, are you alright?” questioned the Longneck with a bit of concern as he walked beside her.

She didn’t answer, but instead nodded enthusiastically.  Strange… maybe she was hiding something?  Whatever it was it must be important for her to keep her mouth shut over it.

“Okay,” Littlefoot stated, before carrying on as usual.

As the Great Circle’s light just crept over the horizon of the following day, Littlefoot arose from his sleeping place next to Ali.  Ducky was laying with her head on a rock next to Spike, and Petrie was sprawled out on his back like a massive dusty leaf, yet there was definitely someone who was missing.  Cera had always contributed to the group in her own way, and now that she had been gone for so long it was strange that he was growing to miss her now of all times.  Silently, the longneck wondered what had become of the other half of the gang… Cera, Ruby, and Chomper.  With Ruby’s knowledge of the mysterious beyond and Chomper’s super sense of smell, they had likely already made it back home.  Hopefully they would be waiting for them when they got back.

A harsh flapping of wings sounded in the air nearby followed by a creaking groan from a set of branches as a heavy flyer set down upon them.  Littlefoot looked upwards to see who it was, and was surprised to see not the luminesant blue of Sky’s feathers but the dark black of his now brother-in-law Glide.   The longneck took a step back in caution, but the black wingtail wasn’t even looking at him.  The piercing glare of his eyes was pointed upwards on an angle, staring off into the distance.

Following his gaze, Littlefoot soon discovered a magnificent show taking place in the air.  Sky and his new mate Star flew together in an airborne dance that he had never seen any other flyer replicate… even during the Great Day of the Flyers in the Great Valley.  They looped together, holding hands for a moment before parting and banking away.  It was so exhilarating watching them perform, he felt bad about how little he had actually done to show Ali how he felt.  Only one embarrassing failed attempt and a collection of red cheeked moments was what he could recall… it was a good thing she wasn’t awake to see this!

Up in the trees Glide watched them lock arms and twirl in the sky, their tails blowing majestically behind them, and growled.  The longneck below noticed the gesture, and decided to speak to him about it.

“Why do you hate him so much?” Littlefoot asked thoughtfully, “Sky has been a loyal friend to us for the whole way since we left the Great Valley, and I’m sure he will be hers too.”

“Hah,” snorted the black wingtail, “this matter is beyond your limited understanding land walker.  I’ve been like a father to her since our parents left and now she does this…”

Littlefoot extended his neck all the way up as high as he could, and it was just tall enough to reach the height of the branch Glide was sitting on.  His advantage of looking down lost the black wingtail pouted and crossed his arms in disregard.

“I lost my parents too when I was young,” commented the longneck with sadness, “It’s… an awful thing, but something good came of it.  My friends and I would never have been so close if it wasn’t for my mom-”

Littlefoot stopped there… he really didn’t want to talk about it any farther.  She was gone, and he had long accepted that.  Her, and his dad too.  There were a few moments of silence as the two of them watched the wingtails conclude their lovely dance and head towards the ground.

“Friends aren’t the same as family,” replied Glide empathetically, “when things get tough you can’t trust any of them… least of all him…”

“Look at it this way,” replied Littlefoot hesitantly but maturely, “at least they’re both happy right?”

Glide didn’t look too happy about it at all.

“You’re insufferable,” the black wingtail replied with distain, “…just like that runner.”

The longneck’s senses pricked as he caught the last part.

“Runner?” inquired Littlefoot, “who are you talking about?”

Glide glanced up towards his sister and her new love, noting that they were descending fast and would be here in moments.  Fortunately he wouldn’t have to continue this useless conversation any longer then a minute or so.

“Ruby, Chompy, and… erm… the threehorn,” answered the wingtail without enthusiasm, “plus the other two… I can’t remember anything about them besides how much they annoyed me.”  

Sky swooped in and landed on the nearest branch he could find wide enough to accommodate his new best friend.  Star hung back for a moment, and once he was settled landed next to him.  Glide and Littlefoot promptly cut off their conversation at the arrival of the newcomers.  The rest of the gang had awoken as well, and were going through their usual morning routines of stretching, eating (Spike), or in the case of Ali rejoining Littlefoot’s side.  Clutching his ribs, Sky spoke up.

“Perhaps I shouldn’t be exerting myself so much just after such severe injuries,” the blue wingtail commented with a gasp of pain as he felt across a rib that was surely broken, “…my dance was absolutely awful.”

“You did just fine,” commented Star with sincerity, “I haven’t felt this good in a long time Sky.”

Briefly, they touched noses.  Glide notably flinched.

“Hey Sky…” called Littlefoot, “guess what I found out… your brother says he knows where Ruby, Chomper and Cera are!”

“We are not brothers land walker!” hissed Glide suddenly, “nor shall we ever be.”

Sky looked a bit uncomfortable and shifted his gaze somewhere else.  Star on the other wing glared venomously at the black wingtail.  She had been pushed around by him for all of her life, and she wasn’t going to take it anymore.  He had promised he wouldn’t fight with Sky anymore – at least physically – but clearly he wasn’t even trying to make things work.  This wasn’t going to be an easy relationship.

Ducky cleared her throat, and it was loud enough to interrupt the proceedings and attract everyone’s attention.

“I think Ali has something she wants to say,” commented the swimmer maturely, gesturing towards the longneck.

Littlefoot was slightly surprised as she took a silent step forward.  What was she going to say?  Did it have something to do with him?  Did her and Ducky plan something secret?  His question was soon answered as the female longneck stopped in front of Sky, and dropped something out of her mouth.  Judging by the dull ring it made when it hit the ground, Littlefoot knew exactly what it was.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about what to get you for your Star Day Sky,” Ali started with a hint of shyness, “and after what’s happened I almost forgot about it.  It was very hard for us to think of something a wingtail might like, since for all the time we have spent together we still don’t know too much about you.”

Sky looked genuinely surprised but composed, and nodded at the statement for her to continue.  Star looked at him knowingly, but otherwise did not interrupt.

“So here it is,” Ali finished, “I hope you like it.”

The female longneck picked up the Occular carefully with her teeth, and brought her long neck up to where Sky was perched.  Cautiously the blue wingtail removed it with wide eyes, before cleaning it off eagerly with his feathers.  Satisfied, he slipped it underneath his wing where it was safe.

“I really don’t know what to say,” said Sky with gratitude, and he spread his wings wide, “I am really, truly thankful you found it for me.  You all have my eternal friendship.”

“Hooray!” called out Petrie, “Happy Star Day!”

Sky looked happily upon the gang as they celebrated his triumph.  It was a little bit late in coming… but then late was always better than never.

“I don’t understand,” inquired Star, “wasn’t your Star Day seasons ago?”

“No,” replied Sky smugly as he took her hand with his, “with you it’s every day.”

It took a moment for her to get the pun, but when she did the scarlet wingtail started laughing.  Soon the two of them were both laughing together, and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Glide looked on without amusement.  That wasn’t even that funny.

Later that day night time crept over the waters of the Abyss Lake. The surface was completely still, mostly due to the lack of wind.  Where there usually would be silent, motionless shoreline there was a beehive of activity in the Feral Forest.  Wingtails flew above while Runners walked below, and in some places they even lingered together conversing about the big fight and about how brilliant it had been.  A few did not share in the mood, the hatred of the other kind keeping them apart and distrustful.  They mostly kept to small groups in the trees and on the ground, socializing with one another if at all.

Perhaps the greatest attraction of all was the latest confection of Aizon’s Creators – fire burned water swimmers!  The blaze from the previous few days set by the Grand Creator had been maintained religiously by his kin and carried by the way of burning sticks to light a fire anew for all to see.  Many of both Runner and Wingtail heritage had never seen real fire before this close… not counting the recent volcanic eruption far to the north… and gazed into the flickering coals with a mixture of fear and wonder.  Ruby and her new best friend were not amongst them.

The two runners had made the most of the entire day together, exploring as much of the forest as they could.  Since this territory was usually off limits to runners, it was a remarkable chance to see something new.  Cera had declined to go with them, insisting she wanted to ësort things out’ with a few wingtails that had wronged her.  Ruby supposed it was those two kidnappers that had taken her away, and wished her luck.

“You run very fast,” commented Swiftrunner as he walked with her through the crowds on the forest floor, “and…you come back to save me.”

Ruby grinned at the praise… but she didn’t feel that heroic.  The fastrunner had only did what she thought needed to be done.  If it had been her that tripped, she knew he would’ve come back for her too.

“Get out of the way.. oof,” somebody familiar called out over a jostling group of runners, “now how is a spikemouth like me supposed to move with it being so crowded?”

Swiftrunner and Ruby turned towards the source of the noise, and sure enough Siak came hobbling through with a few other familiar faces in tow.

“I’ll say it’s like a feeding frenzy going on down here,” commented Gentry, “I only hope there’s an eggshell or two left when they’re all done.”

Siak shot him a dire look.

“Speak with care,” she chided, “there’s lots of wingtails around and if you think the runners were mean about their eggs you don’t know the half of it.”

Ruby was listening in, but suddenly she felt her friend tugging at her shoulder.

“You run away… she be very mad… we go now,” insisted Swiftwalker, his expression showing that he was keen to help Ruby avoid the wraith of the spikemouth.

The warning was too late.  Turning up from her little discussion with the Eggstealer, Siak spotted the two of them standing together.

“Well,” called out Siak with indignation, “…have I got a bone to pick with you.”

The spikemouth walked over to them, Gentry following silently behind her.  She got to where she was right in front of the two runners, and put her claws on her hips.  Ruby didn’t say anything, but looked slightly towards the ground in shame.  

“What were you thinking running away like that? You could have been hurt or eaten!” lectured the Spikemouth, adding a click of her teeth for emphasis.

“I’m sorry,” apologised Ruby, “but I just had to make sure Swifty was alright, just so I could be sure I could see him again.”

“And she run real fast,” added Swiftwalker positively, “she save me from sharptooth.”

“That still doesn’t make what you did right,” continued Siak, “I’ve been worried sick about you and that little Chomper.”

“Chomper?” asked Ruby with alarm, “but he didn’t come with me at all…”

“Of course he did,” replied Siak matter of factly, “and rest assured it would’ve been on my back if anything had happened to either of you.”

“But yet such a dire eventuality did not occur,” interjected a familiar wingtail from the trees above, “it is my view that so long as one remains in the land of the living, the misfortune was not great enough for worry.”

Aizon fluttered down silently like a shadow of the night, joining the conversation.  Many others who were also within the general area stopped what they were doing and gasped with awe.  The navy blue wingtail had gone from silently admired to a legend overnight, and from what Ruby had heard that day he was being constantly hounded by admirers and simple folk that wished him to bestow upon them his ëinfinite’ wisdom.

“Hah, I was wondering when you would finally decide to show your face to me again,” blurted Siak shifting her anger, “I could have sworn after you left us and didn’t come back you were gone for good.”

“Please,” assured the wingtail softly as he pressed his hands together, “now is not the appropriate time to discuss such past matters.”

“I agree… but I can at least demand an explanation as to why you just up and left.

Aizon sighed, looking down briefly while he rubbed off his glasses with one wing.

“…the time of which my assistance was needed came to an end.”

Siak looked incensed by the comment and was about to snap something back when Ruby interrupted.

“Sorry, but what are you two talking about?” the runner asked with curiosity.

“I can see this topic must be resolved before we move on,” answered Aizon with tact, “perhaps you should start my fair and caring friend.”

Siak blushed a bit at the comment while maintaining the mask of her anger, and turned towards the two runners.

“I guess I’ll start with the favour I owed him.  After Mais… went on his way I was heartbroken and lost.  Given that his children were on the way, I didn’t know how I was to feed them I mean I couldn’t sit on the nest and hunt at the same time… that’s when I met Aizon.”

“Indeed,” continued the navy wingtail, “I offered to provide a safe place for her to nest in return for a hand in raising her young.  At the time my interest in parenting had been tweaked by… ah… other concurrent events in my life.”

“And then you just up and left one day.”

“Your children had grown into young adults and were prepared to make the rest of life’s journey on their own.  My assistance was no longer needed.  Perhaps you blame me for their departure?”

Siak suddenly looked guilty, and turned away.  A wingtail came diving through the forest, speeding through the trees at a rate that would have seemed dangerous to a flightless observer.

“Everyone, Sky has returned!  The traitor has come back… he flies among us once again!”

The place turned into a chaotic swarm as wingtails took to the air in vengeance.  Little had escaped from the musings of the Council of Elders on the subject of Sky, but nasty rumours had been circulating for the past season that the blue wingtail was responsible for the sharptooth attack.  It was nonsense, but then not all wingtails were as smart as Aizon to dismiss such gossip.

“Pardon my sudden exit,” began the navy blue wingtail as he extended his wings, “but I’m afraid another matter requires my immediate attention.”

With Aizon’s departure the forest around the gang became a lot quieter and empty.  Soon only Siak, Ruby, Swiftwalker, and Gentry remained.

“Hmm, we had best stay as far away from this one as we can,” commented Siak with concern, “this ëSky’ sounds like a nasty fellow from all the talk that’s been blowing around.”

Ruby shifted uncomfortably.  She remembered her encounter with the wingtail a long time back, and how hateful he was towards her.  It certainly wasn’t a stretch for her to imagine him being hated by his own kind, but as the runner thought about it more an idea came to her.

“Wait,” insisted Ruby, “I know him.”

“You do!?!” uttered Siak in surprise, “how girl?”

Swiftwalker switched his attention away from how he and Ruby could make a quick getaway to the conversation at hand, and at the same time Gentry also turned his head down from the trees above (he had been secretly looking for unguarded nests).

“We left the Great Valley together a long time ago,” explained Ruby, “Chomper, Cera and I as well as some others you wouldn’t know:  Littlefoot, Ducky, Ali, Petrie and Spike.”

“…and what happened? How were you separated?”

“Well,” started Ruby nervously, not knowing where to start, “Sky wouldn’t talk to me because I am a Runner.  Cera confronted him about it, and he didn’t apologise.  Soon after that we just… parted ways.”

“You mean to tell me that stuffy wingtail wouldn’t talk to you because of what you looked like?” fumed Siak, “The nerve!”

Swiftwalker nodded his head in agreement.  He wouldn’t have let anyone stick up their nose at his friend if he had been there.

“Come on,” insisted Siak as she grabbed Ruby’s arm and pulled her on, “let’s go give him a talking to before the others get to him.”

“But…but… this isn’t a good idea,” resisted Ruby, “wait, we don’t have to do this.”

“Oh yes we do.”

The plains runner could see there was no hope in trying to convince the spikemouth otherwise, so reluctantly she gave in and soon they were off again to right another injustice.

Sky, Star and Glide flew in a triangular formation as they entered the Feral Forest.  The flight should have been triumphant, but unfortunately the circumstances prevented it from being so.  Sky felt uplifted as he flew on the left side of the wing next to Star.  He felt back at home here, and even after such a long time away the memories came flooding back like he had only left yesterday.  There was the clearing where he had his first class, his former family tree (now occupied by another family of wingtails), and even the place next to the lake where he first met Star.  If this was the positive side of his return, the negative soon became quite apparent.

Word of his presence spread like wildfire, and soon a flock of wingtails were tailing them.  Some called out insults and profanities, while others remained silent and simply looked on in amazement.  A few times one tried to approach him, but an aggressive growl and a threatening swipe of Glide’s foot claws warded them away.  The mob brought back an unpleasant recollection of being nearly attacked by Eybron’s wingtails, but another more important thought quickly suppressed it.

“Where are we going Star?” Sky asked with uncertainty, “I thought we were headed to the Elders’ Tree?”

The scarlet wingtail’s face was a mask of determination and anticipation when she turned to him.

“We’re going home. My aunt and uncle are waiting for us at the family tree.”

“But…” began Sky.

“No buts,” interjected Star with a smile, “there is someone you need to meet.”

The blue wingtail had a collection of questions come to mind but he decided to just trust his love.  He could only hope that Star’s family would accept him easier than Glide did.

Star was the first to enter the large tree by the edge of the forest, tucking in her wings and swooping inside through the leaves.  Sky was next, nearly clipping the edges of a branch with his wingtips.  It had been so long since he had last entered a wingtail dwelling, he was a bit rusty.  Landing on a limb inside, he noticed where Star had hopped up above to a different level and leaped up to follow her.  A brief rustling sound informed him that Glide was on his tail.

“Are you sure we should be staying here?” asked Sky with concern as he shifted until he was roosting right next to her, “because I don’t think it’s completely safe for us even with the flying sharptooth covering our backs.”

Glide hopped up onto the branch late enough to not hear Sky’s gibe, and as he settled on a different branch he looked on with a neutral expression.  The black wingtail had promised not to fight with him, but maybe it wasn’t a good idea to push it even in good humour.

“Shhh!” Star insisted, putting a finger to her mouth.

Sky went silent as she asked him to, and after a few moments a brownish-red wingtail emerged from a hallow within the tree.  She looked like she was quite venerable, and he recognized her from a long time ago as Star’s Aunt Fliela.  A small, feathery object was being carried in her arms and wrapped by her leathery wings.  Coming into a beam of light Sky suddenly made out a pair of closed eyes and a small wing.  It was a hatchling!

Fliela turned towards him and looked up and down Sky from his feet to the tip of his nose.  Surprisingly, she said nothing and turned to Star with a smile on her face.  While her mate and her brother looked on Star touched noses with her aunt in recognition, and the hatchling was handed between them right into the scarlet wingtail’s hands.  Startled at the sudden loss of warmth, the tiny wingtail cried out.  Smoothly Star ran her fingers through its dark blue feathers in a motherly fashion.

“Congratulations,” Sky said to Aunt Fliela with courtesy.

Oddly, she smiled back and nodded towards her niece.

“I should be the one congratulating you.”

As the realization of what she meant reverberated through him, Sky broke a cold sweat.  Was it actually possible?  Could it be?

Star laughed and turned towards him, the hatchling cooing softly in his mother’s embrace.

“No silly,” she corrected, “…he’s ours.”

Sky gasped, the sharp intake of breath coming out like a muted squawk.  He was a dad!  This is his son!  The joy of the event was overwhelming.  He hadn’t expected it to happen this soon, if ever.  His first instinct was to leap forward and embrace his mate with all his energy, but doing so would endanger the baby.

The wingling suddenly opened his eyes.  The youngster looked around slowly and without direction like he had no idea where he was or what was going on.  What was that sound?  Following his first instincts, the dark blue wingling uttered a sound of his own… a perfect copy of Sky’s gasp.

It was hard to tell who was more shocked - Sky or Star - when their son squawked a sound that was a flawless imitation of one of their own.  How did he do that?  Did he have a hidden talent that suddenly revealed itself?

“Oh I’m so proud of you!” stated Star as she hugged him close to her body.  The hatchling seemed to enjoy the warmth.

“I…don’t know what to say,” added Sky as his mouth just started to work again.

Star rubbed her nose against the top of the hatchling’s head affectionately as he appeared to go back to sleep.

“He just hatched this morning,” stated Aunt Fliela with pride, “I’ve been sitting on him day and night for you Star.  He was quite the feisty one knocking around inside the shell, I was surprised he didn’t come out sooner.”

“I can’t thank you enough,” replied Star with deep sincerity, “if Eybron would have found out… I…”

“He needs a name,” put in Glide suddenly.  

All three of the other wingtails turned towards him. His tone was adorned with emotion, which was highly unusual for him.  Was the wingtail of rock getting choked up?

“The hatchling needs a name,” repeated the black wingtail, swallowing to get a hold of himself.

“What do you think Sky?” asked Star with anticipation, “the honour goes to you.”

“Umm…I…ah,” stammered Sky.  Silently he was kicking himself for not thinking about it sooner.  He had expected that they would discuss it months in advance of an egg actually hatching.

Looking around desperately for an idea, Sky’s eyes settled on the gap in the leaves above where the light of the night moon was shining down.  A radiant, silver lined cloud hovered in the sky surrounded by stars.

“How about… Cloud?” suggested Sky.

The blue wingtail would never know that many many seasons ago when he hatched his father had looked up and done the same thing.

“Cloud,” repeated Star as she held up the hatchling in her arms.  

The wingling’s tail flopped down, revealing a small puffy formation on the end.

“…what a lovely name.”

With waves of pure joy flowing through him, Sky carried on with what was probably the best night of his life.  With the hatred of his entire race following him though, it was only a matter of time before he would have to face the very elders that condemned him to death so long ago.  If tonight was his best night, then tomorrow could very well be his worst.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry that I've been holding this off. I said I'd read your fiction, and write a review for it for the fanfiction awards, but that never happened. I'm gonna start reading this story now, and leaving what I think of every chapter as I get through it. I'm probably just going to edit this post as I read, so as to not be cluttering up your thread. Does that sound good?

Act 1

Prologue

Well, right off the bat I see you've already used an Idea that I was going to use for a LBT story I want to write. :lol Oh well, I'll still go through with it. This is really cool here, having the Gang as grownups, and having Sky tell the story. I see a couple of grammar mistakes, like a present tense word when it should be past tense, but these are very minor. This looks interesting from the get go, and I like the foreshadowing with Sky pulling out and showing off the Occular.

Chapter 1

I like the way you described longnecks, as knowledgeable but arrogant. I kind of feel threehorns fall more under that category, but I can see that too. I'm noticing some more errors in this one, again mostly with confusing past and present tense. Sky to me seems a little bit on the...arrogant side. Ironically, he sort of seems like the longnecks he's bashing to me. :p I'll stop here for now, as I'm at a nice cliff hanger.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh dear... the last part... it was... it was just beautiful and sweet~  :wub
It really touched my heart. :yes

Ahem, okay, I see that this isn't the final chapter yet. :o So there is only the "B" part and epilouge left.  :) I can't wait for the final chapters to come out. :^.^:

(Ahh! I'm sorry I couldn't give any better respond... :oops)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
@Sky:

I'm glad you like it.  :smile

The introduction of Cloud into the story was an event I had been planning for several months and it was a part that I poured over the details for the most in the process of writing the story.  The main thing I couldn't get right was how Sky would react to the news that Star had been breeding their hatchling in secret.  In the end I settled upon a 'gasp of surprise' that gave baby Cloud the oppertunity to demonstrate his unique gift.

:angel

@vonboy:

Sky was designed to be a bit of an unpredictable character.  His heart is in the right place, but sometimes the things he says and does do not come across as being particularly nice at all.  This aspect of his personality makes him interesting (I hope!) and ensures that he is an unpredictable character for the benefit of the plot and the interest of the reader  too. :angel

Caustizer

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It feels like there is something...missing...

It's probably just me :angel

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don’t even know how to begin to apologize for not reviewing the story on time. :slap All I have for now is a probably meaningless offer of “I’m sorry”. :bang This was a wonderful chapter, and the sort of reviewing it deserves is far better than what I am capable of giving.

Sky and the other two wingtails had wisely taken a different course to resolve what his blue friend had described as ërecent family issues’. Littlefoot assumed it had something to do with that other black wingtail – ëGlide’ was it? – adjusting to not trying to kill them anymore.
I admit, that sentence made me chuckle. :lol I also liked the part that follows this, where Littlefoot considers the difference between the wingtails’ and the Great Valley dinosaurs’ ways of dealing with forgiveness.

There was something odd about Ali’s expression… like there had been a big glob of food in her mouth for the past hour and a half.
When I read that line, I thought that it was a figurative description, implying that Ali had something she wanted to say that she was reluctant to “spit out”. :p I didn’t think that she actually had something in her mouth, much less the Occular. :lol

There was something I found amusing about Siak’s expressed opinion of Sky based on the rumors she had heard about him. And uh-oh, as if a threehorn wasn’t enough, what’s Sky going to think when a crazy spike-toothed dinosaur he’s never met before comes to him demanding that he apologize to the fast runner he last met over a year ago? :lol

So Aizon offered to help Siak in return for a chance to help her raise her young? Now that’s interesting. It appears that there’s a lot about Aizon we still don’t know. I’m curious now to learn more about his backstory. Any chance we’ll be seeing more of Aizon in any of FAH’s sequels or side stories? I never would have expected it, but I think he’s become one of my favorite characters in Far Away Home.

The entire scene where Sky was introduced to his son was adorable. :wub Brilliantly written, too. As far as Sky’s reaction goes, I agree that the “gasp of surprise” was the best route to take. :yes

Seriously, I loved this chapter. Bravo, Caustizer. :DD I hope you can forgive the brevity of this review, and the time it took me to post it.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I read pieces of the last chapter and it was very good.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Oct 6 2011 on  07:18 PM
So Aizon offered to help Siak in return for a chance to help her raise her young? Now that’s interesting. It appears that there’s a lot about Aizon we still don’t know. I’m curious now to learn more about his backstory. Any chance we’ll be seeing more of Aizon in any of FAH’s sequels or side stories? I never would have expected it, but I think he’s become one of my favorite characters in Far Away Home.

Aizon plays a fairly prominant role in 'Into Blacksun'.  There is a lot I haven't revealed about him yet because he is supposed to be mysterious and interesting.  A couple of things I haven't talked about yet with him are:

A) What was the 'concurrent' event that led to Aizon becoming interested in children?

B) What is the relationship between Aizon and Sky?

C) How does Aizon feel about the Eye of the World's destruction? Will he accept the fact that the Sonicron must be destroyed too?

Lots to write about yet, which is what worries me.  I try splitting the chapters into two and yet they still come out as huge!  Maybe it has something to do with all the prose I like to jam in to make the conversations flow better. :angel

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Just coming in for my 2 months update.  I did another paragraph of Far Away Home tonight, but it's proving harder then ever.  The main stumbling block I've been facing lately is trying to come up with reasonable things for Littlefoot's and Ruby's side of the gang to say when they meet up.  Since it was over 2 years ago that I prepared my notes for the scene, they are out of date and frankly look pretty shitty to me now  :anger .  Trying to do them again, I find it is highly difficult to overcome the nostalgia surrounding the old arrangement.  :cry

The sequence surrounding Sky's Trial is very well set and good enough to escape (or rather pass unquestionably) my quality control mechanisms and will be pretty good once I get it done - but unforunately I gotta figure out how to tie the loose end mentioned above before I can publish it too.  :angel