The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Remakes of games (Console -> PC, etc.)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have noticed a (sort of) trend on the Internet lately of taking older games, console games or arcade games and porting them to PC.  I'm not talking about emulators (software designed to pretend to be another piece of software or hardware, such as an existing game system or computer), I'm talking about complete overhauls.  Here are some links to a few examples:

Stepmania: A By-fans, for-fans complete custom and open-source version of the Dance Dance Revolution arcade/console game series.

Project Goldeneye: A single player/multiplayer mod for Unreal Tournemant 2004 and Half-life 2, designed to replicate the classic (and hugely successful!) N64 game, Goldeneye (with improved graphics, engine, more players, internet play, but the same levels, characters, guns, etc. both versions are incomplete as far as I understand.  The Half-Life 2 version is closer to completion but their official site is down right now).

Scorched Earth (the original 1991 release) is currently being completely rewritten for Windows and Linux, under the name Atomic Tanks.  Same game concept and format, completely updated graphics and engine.

I personally love the idea of taking an excellent but dated or limited game and modernizing it to its full potential.  I can think of a large handful of games I'd like to see this done to, unfortunately it's a huge amount of effort and not many complete games exist right now.
Here is a list of a few games I'd like to see remade, either on a new console or by fans as a PC version:

N64: Blast Corps I Love the concept of this game!  I have hoped for a sequel for years but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. :cry2 I can see so much potential for a sequel: Larger maps, co-op levels, new vehicles, trickier puzzles, etc. etc.  It would be great! :P:
N64: Pilotwings 64 (Imagine what this game could look like on a modern computer!)
Another Twisted Metal game, with online play preferred, or at least LAN play.
An F-Zero game with Internet play.
A Mario Party game with LAN support.
Diddy Kong Racing
Battletanx!  Now this would be a fun LAN/Internet game! :D

Basically half of the N64 games ever produced :P:  I loved the N64 system, I just felt the games weren't able to reach their full potential because of system limitations, lack of internet play and lack of downloadable/custom content.

What do you think about the idea of remaking existing games?  Is it necessary?  Is it a good idea?  What games would you like to see come back as shiny and new?

(LOL You can really see my gaming style on this topic: My games are almost exclusively multiplayer favorites as opposed to in-depth single player epics :P: ).