The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Router problems...

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Well, I'm probably about the last person anybody expected to see posting here, but I have a genuine computer problem that I need help with. Okay, I just installed a new wired/wireless router yesterday for gram; had to call her ISP and needed help activating it, which is fine. It has a combination of both wired connections (ethernet ports) and wireless... The thing is, it works just fine on her computer; web browsing, MSN, etc.  But, with my laptop, it's anything but pleasant... <_< I'm fortunate if I can get an hour of uninterrupted MSN time before it disconnects, and as far as web browsing goes, forget it! I try to load a few pages, and it cripples the connection... :anger :angry: :unsure: :rolleyes It makes no difference as to whether I use another ethernet port on the router and hook it up to a wired connection, or use the wireless; it's the exact same result, so there's nothing wrong with the wireless... I did a few tests that way, just to be sure... *shakes head* No difference. So, what's up? Is it something I need to reconfigure on my laptop? (One would think not, since it works fine with my uncle's router at home; wireless or wired, there's hardly a problem at all there...) Austin, I'm looking in your direction. :DD :p Anybody else experience things like this before? :neutral

Note to admins: Yeah, I'm still officially gone, just popping in, etc, etc. :p
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Shoved this over to the Computers section.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Mar 17 2009 on  10:08 PM
Shoved this over to the Computers section.
Oh, right... Oops... :oops
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Reset both the router and the modem.  If it still disconnects on BOTH wired and wireless, I'm afraid you might have a problem with the router itself.  Probably a power problem.  Ya sure you're using the correct adapter?  Have you ever plugged in the wrong adapter before because you couldn't find the right one?  Wiggle the power cord.  Do the lights on the router go off?  If so you'll have to take it apart and solder the power connection on the mainboard.  Has the router ever been exposed to shock?  Has the electricity ever gone off while it was plugged in before?  That could fry it.

Go into your routers control panel and upgrade the firmware.  Do this by typing the following into your browser while connected to the internet through the router:

That should be the default gateway.  If this doesn't work (it should, but ya never know), go ahead and connect to the internet using the router then go to the start menu, click run, then type cmd.  Once you're into the command prompt, type the following:

ipconfig/all

this will give you a list of IPs that you can type into your browser to do specific things.  Look for the one called "default gateway".  That's the one you want to type in.  It's usually the one I have above, but ya never know.

Once inside the router control panel, you might just automatically get a message that the firmware is out of date.  If not, look under the basic settings and tell it to look for an update.  This should fix any problems your router has with your ISPs modem.  A lot of the time, router problems are caused by their age.....even if you buy them brand new!  I had a router for 2 months when Comcast told me I had to get a new one.  I just upgraded the firmware and it worked 100%.  Hope this helps.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Austin: It's a modem/router combo...

No, the power seems to be fine.  Wiggled the adapter...

Yes, it's the correct adapter and everything; what came in the box is what I used...

Yes, 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway...

I've already reset it, multiple times...

Okay, I'll look for a firmware upgrade, thank you. :)

EDIT: That did it, thank you! :D

Okay... Back into the shadows... *fades out*

EDIT 2: I knew about ipconfig /all by the way, LOL. :p