The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT videogame

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Play BASIC
With a little programming, you can create any kind of game with this.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm well, I ran into some problems with DarkBASIC pro, but that's ok.

Does anyone here have a preference as to which program to use for an LBT video game project?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Unaware as I am with any kind of programming (save the antic programs we used at school and which won't be of any use), I don't think I can be much use in that field. If it comes to ideas, drawings (as suggestions for landscapes, characters etc.), or voice recordings (in case we mean to let characters speak), you can count on me while it remains a land before time game (I must admit I couldn't warm up for a land before time shooting game, or anything mixed up with other stories, science fiction and stuff).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
must admit I couldn't warm up for a land before time shooting game, or anything mixed up with other stories, science fiction and stuff.
I agree with you on this one, Malte.  I would be rather interested on working on an LBT game, providing it remains true to the series itself.

Probably a 2d graphics engine would be much more possible for a group with our knowledge to have success with.  I have looked into some of the 3D graphics engines, including directX and openGL programming.  None of it is especially quick to learn.

I'd recommend sticking with a 2d engine for the sake of graphic design and programming simplicity (though it would be very nice to see the Gang in a full 3d world, I think it's beyond our abilities for now.)

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
:yes The series was born in 2D, it should stay in 2D.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've done some brainstorming on ideas for a possible land before time computer game (during a university lecture which required this to prevent the brain from shutting down altogether  :lol).
It may be a good idea to create a story line which plays in both the Great Valley and the Mysterious Beyond providing us with a greater variety of "stages" for the action. I have some basic suggestions, but I suppose it is way too early to discuss the plot before everyone has had some input on what he thinks could, should or must be done.
As for little games / tasks the player could do during the course of the game I have a few suggestions.
- the kind of fir cone bowling we have seen in LBT 7 could be included (e.g. the gang has to beat some other character at it for that character to give them some kind of information required to "unlock" new places to go to which hadn't been accessible to the player at that state of the game.
- There could be a game in which the gang has to follow a track which is quickly disappearing in a sand- / snowstorm. They need to keep up with the track. It would be kind of a racing game element. There is something like that in a computer game of Disney's Dinosaur, that's where I took the idea from.
- Petrie could end up with the task of laying a false track to possible pursuers of the gang. This could be made a kind of "drawing game". The player has to follow the outlines of a dinosaur footprint as quickly and accurately as possible with the cursor.
- Ducky might at some stage of the game end up with the task to find a safe crossing over a river for her friends (or else have to swim through such a river). This could be kind of an obstacle evading business with Ducky having to dive under or dodge around treetrunks or other debris floating in the river.
- Cera could be given the task to remove obstacles in the way of the gang (e.g. cracking rocks with her head). This could be a game where the player has to deceide which rock to crack as some lie in a position where there removal might cause another rockslide. She could also just push away boulders but has to be careful to push the right boulder in the right direction as not to create an obstacle that cannot be removed anymore (this is one of the oldest computergames ever I think).
- We could have something musical. One or several character may have to imitate melodies or sounds they heard elsewhere by picking out the right sequence of sounds from a number sounds provided (something similar to the melodies in Zelda Occarina of time). Maybe immitating of sounds (e.g. a sharptooth's roar) could be integrated into a plot.
- If it comes to music we are not too far from creating an own LBT song for the game. Another game could provide lyrics. The player would have to create a sensible poem from a large list of words or parts of sentences provided. Whenever the player picks one he will be provided with a list of rhyming (but not necessarily sensible) words or phrases from which the player has to pick the next one.
- There could be some kind of large maze to cross. Petrie might give occassional hints to the others on which direction to go next, there could be a few high points from where the maze could be overlooked and perhaps Littlefoot could get a short range overview by craning his neck.
- Finally there could be simple tasks such as getting some character something he is looking for in exchange for a favor (e.g. the gang provides Mr. Clubtail with some treestars (we know from LBT 5 that he rarely gets to eat these) and in exchange he tells them something important or else is distracted from guarding the exit of the Great Valley he had been blocking so far, or the like).

What do you think?

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Great suggestions! Although, they could require a bit of programing which is out of my league.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Did you read my suggestions on this?
I did. :) You have a number of good ideas listed, Malte.  Like is has been mentioned in the game topic, programming them is my main concern.  I know how to program a little bit for text-based (no graphics) applications and games, but when it comes to anything graphical, I have no experience.  I can see these suggestions as being very plausable for being in the game, as ways of progressing (as you mentioned), or even "bonus games" where a player can unlock secret areas or hidden scenes, for example, if they score high enough.

My concern is, using these pre-built engines as listed here, will such extra games be realistic to add in?  I suppose with enough effort ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As I said I'm so dreadfully unaware of programing that it is very difficult for me to deceide what is possible and what is not. Perhaps Riphstar can help us here? He is certainly into programming.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We all need to remember that building a game takes a LARGE amount of time and effort, on everyone's part who is a member of the project.  I have worked with two friends on a simple text-based game, building everything from scratch.  None of us were experienced programmers, but it took us months to show any real progress.

This will be a sizeable feat to take on, for anyone interested.  I'm willing to look into it, but I'm not sure my programming abilities are good enough to be of much assistance.  What I am more than willing to do, however, is to compose any music that may be needed for the game, if it ever reaches that stage of development :)
I would also be interested in map design, if such a role is required at any time.

I have a fair amount of free time, but with the sheer number of projects that I already have going (I want to try to complete all the LBT songs as midis eventually, and as many instrumental pieces from the series as possible), I don't have adequate time to devote to learning a large amount of new material, such as a programming language.

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Did anybody decide what type of game it is going to be?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I strongly suggest it to be mainly a role play game, so the characters would have to do different tasks for the story to continue. There are so many official jump and run games made by professional programmers that not only a new jump and run game would be a mere repetition, but also it would probably not stand a comparison to those games. We might want to use an interesting plot for the game to compensate for the lacks in professionalism which I suppose are unavoidable without a large staff of professional programmers.

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Is that how you define a role play game? To me it is running around in a huge world leveling up by running into random baddies.

"...the characters would have to do different tasks for the story to continue."
    Adventure Game^^^ :D

Here are the major gaming categories

*Action (high-speed, lots of things to do)
*Adventure (story-driven, slower-paced, puzzles)
*Role Playing Game (personal character development, complex game structure, story-driven)
*First Person Shooter (From first person perpective, mainly-action, fast-paced)
*Sports (no need to explain)
*Racing (same as above)
*Puzzle (solving problems)
*Strategy (complex problems, decision-based)
*Simulation (simulates real life)

There can also be hybrids such as Action-Adventure.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I mixed up terms then. Thanks a lot for the really detailed explanation. I love the picture Jojo  :D
In that case an Adventure game is what I'm speaking up for. I think it may be possible to combine it with other features which would make up only part of the game however (e.g. my suggestion about gang has to follow a track which is quickly disappearing which would be a racing game element).
I suppose an adventure game may in some points be more difficult than several other possibilities, yet it would be more like something new, and as I said I suppose that a good plot and varied tasks (not doing the same thing for three hours) can well make up for that kind of programming for which we may not have the possibilities.
But please tell me Jojo, and everybody else who is interested in this, what types of game would you prefer?

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
To me, the only ideal choice would be an adventure game. With the adventure game engines I've seen, it's basically plug and play.  Add a character, add a scene, add a sound, add an inventory, etc.  The other engines would require programing for the story elements you request.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think I would be interested in the Adventure / RPG styles, when it comes to an LBT game.  I'd like to see a game with a large world, interesting plot, and many areas to explore.  

The game would likely be in an overhead view (similar to that of Earthbound, the older FF games, Chrono Trigger, etc), but if anyone would be interested in a 3rd person view (such as Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, etc) this would probably be more appropriate for an adventure or action/adventure game (which is the genre of those games described above).  

I suspect, however, that our programming abilities will be bext-suited to creating an RPG, with turn-based fighting, relatively small parties (5 or 6) at any one time, and a lot of basic exploration.  After looking into the programming structure of various game types, which I did when a few of my friends and I started programming our own RPG, the RPG style is the easiest for beginners to program because the element of time can be mainly disregarded.  Many things can be left as turn-based, which is Much simpler to program.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If we wanted to simply do an RPG, I'd almost say that RPG Maker 2000 or 2003 would be good engines to use.  I have experience with both of them, but the problem is many of the engine's elements are engrained into the program itself.  There isn't a lot of freedom aside from the events and graphics.  It would be virtually impossible to add elements like those that Malte suggested, using RPG Maker.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To me, the only ideal choice would be an adventure game.
That would be my prefered choice too.
The game would likely be in an overhead view (similar to that of Earthbound, the older FF games, Chrono Trigger, etc), but if anyone would be interested in a 3rd person view (such as Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, etc) this would probably be more appropriate for an adventure or action/adventure game (which is the genre of those games described above).
While I have no idea of programming (so correct me if I'm mistaken) I suppose that it would prove a lot more tricky to have a 3D background with a camera following the characters than to use the following option.
We could use pictures as a firm background and use different pictures for the different places the characters can visit during the game. Maybe screenshots from the movies could work for some backgrounds. The early adventuring games almost always had it that way. Sometimes there was a map on which it was indicated when the characters were moving far distances. I suppose this would make it a lot easier as only the characters and elements of the surroundings which are of relevance to the game would have to be animated.
I suspect, however, that our programming abilities will be bext-suited to creating an RPG, with turn-based fighting, relatively small parties (5 or 6) at any one time, and a lot of basic exploration.
I'm extremely sceptical about this. I don't have a fighting game in mind. If enemies are to be dealt with (and I consider good enemies an absolute necessity) I would rather have it that they need to be dealt with the cunning rather than the violent way (the only way the kids would stand a chance against a much stronger oponent). As for RPG elements I could imagine something like learning to use abilities (e.g. climbing, swimming, sneaking etc.) There could be possibilities to learn and improve these abilities and only if a character has reached a certain level that character will be able to climb a over a certain kind of obstacle or sneak past an enemy unnoticed. We could also give every single character but one ability so each of the five main characters would get a "job" in the game.
I thought through some rough plotlines for an Adventuring game. The basic idea in the plotlines I found most suitable (I avoided stories I had in mind which would be difficult to even write due to the complexity of the problems) is that one of the characters is "involuntarily removed" from the Great Valley and the others set out to get him respectively her back. I have three different variants which all have this basic theme, but a very different setting and different characters taking part in it. I'm not sure, are we to discuss plotlines yet?