The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Voting

rhombus · 153 · 32322

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
GAH I GOTTA VOTE I DID NOT CONSIDER THIS I AM BAD AT FEEDBACK

Eeerrrr.... I guess my vote goes to Anagnos' Ballad of Endless Remorse mostly because I always found it a failing of the Seventh movie not to delve a bit deeper into Pterano and that entire debacle. I guess it's the need for Kid-friendliness. :>

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My vote was largely a contest between Hidden Needs and Snowballed Lies and in the end, I'll cast it for Snowballed Lies. While rhombus' story was a great read and an interesting continuation to his Petrie AU, Owls' story built a deeper and more emotional narrative which tipped the balance in his direction. :^^spike

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I must second Sovereign's vote by also casting my vote for Owls' entry of Snowballed Lies. His story provided a personal look at Mr. Thicknose, his curiosity about life, and how his pride led to his fall. As one of the most powerful character studies posted in quite some time, I feel it definitely deserves my vote.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@Sleeping-force's-inside @Anagnos @Sovereign @rhombus @OwlsCantRead

With the voting period over, the winner of the January prompt challenge is Snowballed Lies by OwlsCantRead.  Congratulations, Owls! :) I have attached your banner to this post.

With regards to the voting period for the February prompt, I have received a request for a one-day extension of the deadline. Considering that I am sure something odd will happen on a certain auspicious April day  :bestsharptooth, I will go ahead and extend the deadline for that prompt to 11:59:59 pm forum time on April 2, 2020:yes
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:05:49 PM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
@Sleeping-force's-inside @Anagnos @Sovereign @rhombus @OwlsCantRead

With the voting period over, the winner of the January prompt challenge is Snowballed Lies by OwlsCantRead.  Congratulations, Owls! :) I have attached your banner to this post.

With regards to the voting period for the February prompt, I have received a request for a one-day extension of the deadline. Considering that I am sure something odd will happen on a certain auspicious April day  :bestsharptooth, I will go ahead and extend the deadline for that prompt to 11:59:59 pm forum time on April 2, 2020:yes

Related to this topic, I'm gonna have my full submission for the February/March prompt up today, I swear...been writing like mad this morning.

And congrats @OwlsCantRead !!

"I don't see anything!"--Cera

"Maybe your eyes are getting in the way."--Rainbow Face

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Thanks for the 1-star "Ferris" swimmer banner, Rhombus. :bestsharptooth But for real, thanks a lot for your effort in managing this prompt challenge. :Mo

I'm really glad that people enjoyed Snowballed Lies given how long it ended up taking to write. More than any time now I think the moral and lessons of this fic should be adhered to. :)
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@UnionRags123 @DiddyKF1 @RainbowFaceProtege @StardustSoldier

Alright, everyone, it is now time again to vote for the winner of the February prompts.  We had four good entries from this month which has left me absolutely egg-static.  :bestsharptooth   For this voting period (which will end at 11:59:59 PM forum time on April 26, 2020) each of you will have the opportunity to vote for the following entries:

Who mentioned eggs to Mr. Threehorn?
Author: UnionRags123
Description: Uh oh, someone has told Mr. Threehorn that he will be a grandfather. How will he react? Written for the laughs. Oh and this is the first fanfic I've written :)
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16621.0
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13499435/1/Who-Mentioned-Eggs-to-Mr-Threehorn

The Tragic Cycle (Prologue)
Author: DiddyKF1
Description: From the day he came into the world, a series of unfortunate events awaited that would change his life, seemingly only for the worse. As Petrie struggles through his childhood, it seems he is set to have the worst life any Flyer could have. Misfit, outcast and completely friendless, and loved by almost no one, this is how Petrie dealt through life up until that fateful day ...
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16728.msg504828#msg504828
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13520290/1/The-Tragic-Cycle

Brat
Author: RainbowFaceProtege
Description: My first prompt entry, aaahhh!! For the February/March 2020 fanfiction prompt: "The birth (or hatching) of one's first child is always a wondrous and joyful experience, but it is also incredibly daunting.  Now there is a new life on this planet which is dependent on your support and love.  Write a story where a new parent or parents must deal with the challenges of their first nest." I considered several different characters as my potential new parent(s). Eventually, though, I decided that it would be most fun (and challenging) to narrow it down to a character or characters you would never picture as a parent, someone who'd be utterly out of their element in the role. Sierra it was--though I admit Ozzy and Strut were so close to being the ones I chose, but I was afraid it'd turn out a little too Great Valley Adventure-ish.
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16760.0
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13538727/1/Brat

The Long Night
Author: StardustSoldier
Description: It has been a prolonged, tiring journey to reach the Great Valley, and it will be a long journey still to go. Amidst all the death and the peril, one family is determined to find salvation. Against the odds, one family finds love, and hope for the future.
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16784.msg509560#msg509560
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13540516/1/The-Long-Night

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
Oh no...I'm eggs-pected to write up a review for my vote, aren't I?  :lol
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh no...I'm eggs-pected to write up a review for my vote, aren't I?  :lol

That is egg-sactly right. :p

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ooh, I'm egg-cited to read the other entries! :lol

Alright, puns aside now. I'm sorry I haven't read any of these yet. I've been terrible about making time to read fanfics or anything else lately. I'll be sure to check these out and place my vote! :DD

UPDATED:
Okay, I've finished reading! :)littlefoot I enjoyed all three fanfics, but The Long Night is going to be my vote. When I realized the longneck I was reading about was Littlefoot's mother, it was sort of a "whoa!" moment. We may have seen that movie scene before, but showing it through Littlefoot's mother's eyes was quite a creative idea. Plus, nostalgia. :smile

I liked seeing Petrie hatching in the prologue to The Tragic Cycle Prologue, since that was something I always thought was missed out on in the original LBT. It was very well-written, but Petrie's characterization wasn't quite my cup of tea. I never imagined that he was born that timid. In my head, he became that way after he'd tried to fly once and only narrowly escaped a terrible accident in the process. That's just a personal opinion of mine, however, not so much a reflection on the fanfic itself. Watching Petrie's parents react to their children being born was sweet, and I liked that Pterano was part of the moment, too.

Who Mentioned Eggs to Mr. Threehorn? was a good first fanfiction entry. Having it told from Tria's viewpoint was very unique--nice to see first-person point of view being used, since that's pretty rare for fanfics. Everyone seemed in character, too, which was something I had issues with in my first fanfics. (Yeah, those old things'll never see the light of day.) Keep writing, UnionRags, I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! :yes
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:51:05 PM by RainbowFaceProtege »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@UnionRags123 @DiddyKF1 @RainbowFaceProtege @StardustSoldier

Alright, everyone, it is now time again to vote for the winner of the February prompts.  We had four good entries from this month which has left me absolutely egg-static.  :bestsharptooth   For this voting period (which will end at 11:59:59 PM forum time on April 26, 2020) each of you will have the opportunity to vote for the following entries:

Who mentioned eggs to Mr. Threehorn?
Author: UnionRags123
Description: Uh oh, someone has told Mr. Threehorn that he will be a grandfather. How will he react? Written for the laughs. Oh and this is the first fanfic I've written :)
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16621.0
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13499435/1/Who-Mentioned-Eggs-to-Mr-Threehorn

The Tragic Cycle (Prologue)
Author: DiddyKF1
Description: From the day he came into the world, a series of unfortunate events awaited that would change his life, seemingly only for the worse. As Petrie struggles through his childhood, it seems he is set to have the worst life any Flyer could have. Misfit, outcast and completely friendless, and loved by almost no one, this is how Petrie dealt through life up until that fateful day ...
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16728.msg504828#msg504828
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13520290/1/The-Tragic-Cycle

Brat
Author: RainbowFaceProtege
Description: My first prompt entry, aaahhh!! For the February/March 2020 fanfiction prompt: "The birth (or hatching) of one's first child is always a wondrous and joyful experience, but it is also incredibly daunting.  Now there is a new life on this planet which is dependent on your support and love.  Write a story where a new parent or parents must deal with the challenges of their first nest." I considered several different characters as my potential new parent(s). Eventually, though, I decided that it would be most fun (and challenging) to narrow it down to a character or characters you would never picture as a parent, someone who'd be utterly out of their element in the role. Sierra it was--though I admit Ozzy and Strut were so close to being the ones I chose, but I was afraid it'd turn out a little too Great Valley Adventure-ish.
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16760.0
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13538727/1/Brat

The Long Night
Author: StardustSoldier
Description: It has been a prolonged, tiring journey to reach the Great Valley, and it will be a long journey still to go. Amidst all the death and the peril, one family is determined to find salvation. Against the odds, one family finds love, and hope for the future.
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16784.msg509560#msg509560
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13540516/1/The-Long-Night

Heh...that moment when you realize your description is 3x the length of everyone else's = :rhett_ohsnap

Didn't realize the whole intro I wrote was going to be taking up space  :rhett_grinhere...next time, I'll make it more copy-paste friendly. :oops Sorry!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@UnionRags123 @StardustSoldier @DiddyKF1

I forgot to send my customary reminder, so I am extending the voting period by three days.  Nonetheless, please keep in mind that the voting period will be ending shortly so please get your votes ready.  :)

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I currently don't have the energy to read through a fic and write up a review :( I get bursts of energy, but always have something else I need to prioritize when i do.

A month ago I tested as recovering from Mononucleosis, and am still not over it.

I don't know when my energy will return.

Sorry about this...(but also not really sorry tbh, because there's not anything I can do about it and with the way things are for me currently...a fanfiction voting is not high on my priorities list).
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
@UnionRags123 You're not alone. I also have not taken the time to read any of the other fics beside my own, so my vote also remains empty for now.

My dedication to fanfiction has dwindled quite a bit in the last few weeks because I'm still recovering from PTSD due to events in recent weeks regarding this community.
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
@rhombus As I um extremely unlikely to get a review in, please feel free to withdraw my entry from the Prompt Challenge if needed :)
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@rhombus As I um extremely unlikely to get a review in, please feel free to withdraw my entry from the Prompt Challenge if needed :)

@UnionRags123  There is no need to withdraw stories on account of this. The only rule concerning voting is that if one does not vote then they are not eligible to win the prompt challenge for that month. I just wanted to give everyone a reminder in case they wanted to vote.  :yes

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile

@UnionRags123  There is no need to withdraw stories on account of this. The only rule concerning voting is that if one does not vote then they are not eligible to win the prompt challenge for that month. I just wanted to give everyone a reminder in case they wanted to vote.  :yes
But given that Union and Diddy both do not wish to vote, that means only Brat and The Long Night are left, meaning Stardust is left with no choice but to vote for RainbowFaceProtege's entry. With two entrants left (and given that The Long Night is the sole vote thus far), wouldn't that mean that you have to break this unusual month's voting?
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

But given that Union and Diddy both do not wish to vote, that means only Brat and The Long Night are left, meaning Stardust is left with no choice but to vote for RainbowFaceProtege's entry. With two entrants left (and given that The Long Night is the sole vote thus far), wouldn't that mean that you have to break this unusual month's voting?

Indeed it does, provided that Stardust wishes to cast a vote.  If Stardust doesn't vote then RainbowFaceProtege would win by default due to being the only qualified entrant. 

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, this is kinda awkward... :oops Honestly, I don't mind this month's vote being skipped altogether if need be (I don't know if that's something you guys have ever had to do or not).

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Alas, I too have not had time to read everyone else's stories, so I won't be voting either. I do apologize. I certainly had wanted to check out the other stories, but it was a hectic few weeks for me as well.