The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Unreal Tournament 3

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I picked up UT 3 (PC) a few weeks ago and...well...I'm not hugely impressed with it.  Aside from being a very pretty game, graphically (and it requires a monster computer to get said graphic quality) it lacks features from UT 2004 which I miss very much, including Bombing Run, invasion, mutant and Assault game modes. :(

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Bumber, i loved Assault sooo much :cry . I wasn't to fond of invasion and mutant. Bombing run was fun as well, i would of rather seen double domination leave instead of asault or bombing run (the only time i played DD was in single player, and i never played it again afterwards).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yes, they eliminated Double Domination too.  Really, the only things UT3 has over UT 2004 are the campaign/story mode (which is playable with up to 4 human players, which is very very cool) and the graphics, which are fantastic if you have a high-end computer or a PS3.  I'm running it in 1680x1050 res with max detail and getting about 30-40 fps on my monster machine (Core2Duo 3.00GHz, x1950 video, 8GB RAM) on average.  

By comparison, I can get in the hundreds of fps in the same res and max detail in UT 2004.  I think I hit 350fps once, with it going as low as about 90 in some cases.  I've never seen a framerate more than about 50 fps in UT3 on my machine, and that's rare.  Just a note: UT3 DOES utilize a multicore CPU and you suffer greatly without one.  My CPU runs 100% (both cores) nearly the entire time the game is running (unlike games that don't support multicores, which only use 50% of the CPU when the game is running).  It's a CPU hog from the deep darkness, I tell ya!  I've got a Pentium 4 (single core, 3.00GHz) with a Radeon 9550 video card and 3GB of RAM...the game is barely playable in 640x480 resolution and minimum detail on that machine.

Other than those two points, I'd say UT3 is a step backwards in the series.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
well, i probably won't be buying this game anymore and just stick with 2004, and buy another wii or ds game instead