The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Disney kills LucasArts!

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I knew Star Wars was screwed from the moment Disney got their grubby hands on it and they have pretty much lived up to my expectations.  First, they cancelled Star Wars: The Clone Wars, leaving us with a cliff-hanger that probably isn't going to be resolved now.  Then, Disney, in all their infinite wisdom, has decided to shut down LucasArts, thus cancelling all the game projects currently in development. For those who were waiting for a Force Unleashed 3, Battlefront 3, or Star Wars: 1313, this is a huge disappointment.   I was really looking forward to 1313.  From what I saw in the trailers, the game was already pretty far along in development.  They should have at least finished up the stuff that was already being worked on.  Here's to hoping this comes back to bite them in the butt.  :anger   Unlikely, I know, but I can still hope...

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I read this a few days and thought goodbye Battlefront 3. Even if there do start working on the games I have a feeling it will turn out crap now. I should stay positive but I can't.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
From what I read, games that were in development by LucasArts will be assumed by either Disney Interactive Studios or licensed to a third party. Whether or not this includes the Star Wars games, I don't know. Likely not as when I looked them up, they were stated to be cancelled.

Honestly I can't really get mad about this. I was never really interested in Star Wars to begin with. I never seen the movies. I never played any of the games. I never read the books. So to hear about some highly anticipated game projects being shut down by Disney just doesn't really faze me.

Of course I understand being upset, as some things I was looking forward to were cancelled (such as a Legend Of Spyro movie, for example). And yes I was disappointed, though I can't say I was really that mad about it. I don't get really mad that easily about this sort of stuff.

This wouldn't be the first time a company acquired the right to a franchise only to halt it completely. Supposedly from what I read, the guy who created Metal Arms sold his license to..I think it was Activision, which was a bad move. The guy had a whole trilogy planned out, but Activision wasn't interested in Metal Arms and just sat on the license, refusing to sell it back. Because of this, there will never be another Metal Arms game, all because of a company who isn't even interested in the game refuses to sell the license back to the creator, or at least to a company who is interested in Metal Arms.

Unfortunately, this is just how business rolls. They make decisions based on what they think will get them more money. If Disney stopped production of these Star Wars games, then chances are they thought that Star Wars isn't a big money maker, at least in terms of games. Now this could change in the future and maybe someone will be licensed to continue some of the projects. But there's no way to tell except to wait.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Battlefront 3 could very well still materialize after the new sequels. It was heavily delayed for being too ambitious (real sized battlefields, switching between ground, aerial and space combat). Letting the technology mature by the time the new trilogy comes out could be the cue they need to continue development.

Ghostfishe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
First, they cancelled Star Wars: The Clone Wars, leaving us with a cliff-hanger that probably isn't going to be resolved now.

Well, they said they were going to make some kind of mini-movie to tie all the lose ends up. But I only know what I've been told...