The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

http://movies.ign.com/articles/102/1023836p1.html

Okay so I know this movie is a bit far away until it will be released, but I'm so looking forward to it. I don't know anything about the storyline or whatever 'On stranger tides' is about, but apparently there is a book with the same name and the plot will look a lot like it.

As you might know, Keira Knightly(Elizabeth) and Orlando Bloom(Will) won't be playing this time, just Johnny as main character Jack Sparrow. Also they got a new director.

What do you guys think of it?

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 16 2009 on  12:11 AM

http://movies.ign.com/articles/102/1023836p1.html

Okay so I know this movie is a bit far away until it will be released, but I'm so looking forward to it. I don't know anything about the storyline or whatever 'On stranger tides' is about, but apparently there is a book with the same name and the plot will look a lot like it.

As you might know, Keira Knightly(Elizabeth) and Orlando Bloom(Will) won't be playing this time, just Johnny as main character Jack Sparrow. Also they got a new director.

What do you guys think of it?
0o
-------
I
I
I
I
I
-------

:wow

holy wubbzy wow wow....

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
As for a plot, my best guess is that it will revolve around the fountain of youth the map to which CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow had at the end of movie 3. The map actually bore a reference to Don Juan Ponce de Leon, a historical character and conquistador who explored Florida among other because of the rumors about a fountain of youth.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oh great, another movie to watch Jack Sparrow backstab innocent people and make their lives miserable only to come to his senses once he's all but ruined them.

I have yet to forgive him for his role in Will's fate at the end of the last one because he decided to taunt Davy Jones. If I go to see the film, it only be for Barbossa, who actually, as it turns out, to be one of the characters who has done the last damage over the course of the series. And if Jack's ship gets taken from him as easily as that, then he deserves to have stolen.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 16 2009 on  07:27 AM
As for a plot, my best guess is that it will revolve around the fountain of youth the map to which CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow had at the end of movie 3. The map actually bore a reference to Don Juan Ponce de Leon, a historical character and conquistador who explored Florida among other because of the rumors about a fountain of youth.
Cool :yes  It might be like that.

Oh great, another movie to watch Jack Sparrow backstab innocent people and make their lives miserable only to come to his senses once he's all but ruined them.

I have yet to forgive him for his role in Will's fate at the end of the last one because he decided to taunt Davy Jones. If I go to see the film, it only be for Barbossa, who actually, as it turns out, to be one of the characters who has done the last damage over the course of the series. And if Jack's ship gets taken from him as easily as that, then he deserves to have stolen.

I might sound odd here but isn't the bad stuff jack does that makes the movies so interesting?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hehe, sounds good, I'm willing to give this film a chance, though to be honest I didn't really like the third one... <_< I hope this one isn't a big blow like the other one...

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It depends on a number of things, If they have barboosa and Sparrow sniping at each other the whole film, considere me there. Rush is a great actor, it was barboosa who made the first film so watchable, apart from Depp as Jack
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm going to see it the first day it comes out. Don't care if it sucks or not.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Alex,Sep 19 2009 on  10:42 PM
I'm going to see it the first day it comes out. Don't care if it sucks or not.
Same, unless I can't find time for it for some stupid reason :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Sep 19 2009 on  11:10 PM
How were the other movies?
I loved them :)

Did you never see them, Kor?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Mumbling Wrote:

I might sound odd here but isn't the bad stuff jack does that makes the movies so interesting?
No. Having a character do bad things does not make them or the stories they are in interesting. It makes them thoroughly unlikeable to anyone with a lick of common sense. For one thing, having Jack do only bad is just bad writing, considering the first movie in which Jack went out on a limb for Will's sake a number of times. Having him suddenly be willing to sacrifice the son of his best friend just makes me hate him so much I wish they'd have just left him in Jones's Locker.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay... So that would make Aladdin a bad guy?

I guess you got a fair point but I don't quite agree.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Point taken WR, but it is your opinion that a good number of GOF members then has not a lick of common sense (same as a high number of people who are no members of the GOF). I am not much of a Pirates of the Caribbean Fan and I certainly don't see it as a moral instruction movie but make sure to present your opinions as opinions or else they may justifiably be considered attacks or offenses.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I was thinking of a way to make it more..aggresive..but what he said^ :smile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
There's no comparison between Aladdin and Jack, because Aladdin grew out of his ways towards the end of his film, for one thing.

PIrates may not be a moral instruction film, but how can I root for someone who is actually no better than Cutler Beckett, the designated villain? And how is Beckett the bad guy (aside from hanging that child, though Jack's done just as bad) for wanting to be rid of Jack's lot?

The pirates were a huge problem what with their raiding, raping (remember that one, female pirates fans), robbing, pillaging, murdering, and destroying property and people's lives, which we know Jack to be doing because he is a pirate. It' dbe one thing if they were romantized versions of pirates featured in these films, but they're not. The pirates in these films are highly realistic and all the more thoroughyl unlikeable and evil for it.

On top of that, if Beckett had been played by someone like Ewan McGregor or Hugh Jackman and had been more angsty, I can imagine how the tide of fan support to turn in his favor over Jack easily. Yeah, Beckett may be a Grade-A douchebag, but if I had to pick between his brand of law enforcement and the scum that tries to pass itself off as the heroes of PIrates 2 & 3, my choice would be Beckett for being the lesser of two evils by far.
Because between Jack behaving as ruthlessly as Beckett and with the release of an evil sea goddess at Barbossa's hands, and the continual back-stabbing by the rest of the cast, at least I know my place is secured if I abide by the law under him. Shall I also mention that Davy Jones was forced to kill the kraken by Beckett. Yeah, that big thing that destroyed all those ships needlessly that Jack, Will, and co were unable to defeat, themselves, and would surely have become a huge obstacle for them and anyone else on the sea? Yep, Beckett was the one to do away with it.

To top it off, I don't look forward to more Clone Jacks.

Oh yeah, while I'm on this train, I'm going to point out other things I found wrong with Pirates. Such as how can Barbossa by one of the Nine Pirate Lords if he had to serve as Jack's first mate?

Then let's touch on that Cylipso's powers amounted to nothing after they were hyped up so much throughout the film, and that Davy Jones was right in his action to imprison her after what she did to him. "Make me man the seven seas for ten years just to see you one night and the not show up?! I'm gonna...!!!"

It also drove me insane that Barbossa, who should be the most craven of the cast is the most honest amongst the ever-shifting loyalties and endless and stupid back-stabbings that happen for little to no reason. These morons would just decide on a plan after earnestly discussing it, or if Jack had just been honest with Will from the start. I took me about an hour to realize that Barbossa was the only one I even liked anymore because everyone else was too obsessed with getting ahead of the game and screwing everyone else over. These films needed to grow up.

All the while Jack just keeps reaching lower and lower lows while springing several traps while trying to keep only himself out of harm's way. Yeah, some hero.

I adored the first one, but if they continue down this road for #4, I'm done with it.