The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dil and Ichy Showcase - March 2020

rhombus · 34 · 6036

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So I still promised you guys a drawing for this month, as last month my thumb was acting up and I couldn't really draw anything. Luckily it's been getting better again, a little bit every day, so I figured I would draw you guys something today.

Tickles went on another adventure

I've mentioned it here before on the forum, but the Land Before Time IV was actually the only VHS of LBT I had growing up. So yeah... I've seen this movie countless times as a kid, but in Dutch, where Dil's voice is male. Nothing will change their genders in my mind, so for me, Dil & Ichy, both males :P

They are likeable. I enjoy their "cooperation" for food. Quite a unique concept. Yes, they are "silly", but what else do you expect from a children's show? Their babbling gets a bit annoying at times, but I would be frustrated too in either of their positions, haha.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I like Ichy's genuinely smiling pose as Tickles rides him. Almost makes it seems like he's enjoying carrying Tickles around. Plus, the three of them look like a towering totem swifting charging through the Land of Mists in a water race, haha!
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Aww, Tickles looks like a kid on a dad's shoulders! :DD Cute.

I've mentioned it here before on the forum, but the Land Before Time IV was actually the only VHS of LBT I had growing up. So yeah... I've seen this movie countless times as a kid, but in Dutch, where Dil's voice is male. Nothing will change their genders in my mind, so for me, Dil & Ichy, both males :P

They are likeable. I enjoy their "cooperation" for food. Quite a unique concept. Yes, they are "silly", but what else do you expect from a children's show? Their babbling gets a bit annoying at times, but I would be frustrated too in either of their positions, haha.
Funny, I literally just mentioned elsewhere that I grew up thinking (English) Dil was a male, since I kept hearing her name as "Gil." :PCera

And, yeah, even though I don't care much for Ichy and Dil, I do realize they're typical kids' show villains, and they're far from being the most annoying villains I've ever seen in a children's cartoon. (That prize, my friends, goes to Dinotopia: Quest for the Ruby Sunstone. Yeeuck!!)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
 Oneday I want to see Guido vs Itchy! :D

Feather Showdown!  :bestsharptooth

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

I always thought it was weird that in LBT XII they act like feathers are unheard of. :p I mean, what about Ichy? And then the continuity mishaps get even worse when the word "feather" is actually used by the characters in XIV! :rolleyes

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

I always thought it was weird that in LBT XII they act like feathers are unheard of. :p I mean, what about Ichy? And then the continuity mishaps get even worse when the word "feather" is actually used by the characters in XIV! :rolleyes

Feather Amensia, the Gang forgets about feathers because Itchy used a feather power to make them forget constantly lol :lol

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
After recently watching LBT IV again, Dil and Ichy still aren't my favorites, but they at least didn't annoy me as much as I'd remembered. And "Who Needs You" was pretty catchy, so it looks like I need to update my favorite/least favorite list with a new least favorite LBT song... :thinking

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
After recently watching LBT IV again, Dil and Ichy still aren't my favorites

Would you say that Tress Macneille and Jeff Bennett are likable as other characters they voiced?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
"Well, who needs you?!"

We do, guys. We do. I kinda love these days. Man, I can't believe it's been 24 years since this one came out. I feel old, this film was only 8 years old when I joined.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Would you say that Tress Macneille and Jeff Bennett are likable as other characters they voiced?

Yeah, for some reason I was just never crazy about their Ichy and Dil voices...

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile

Yeah, for some reason I was just never crazy about their Ichy and Dil voices...

I get the same way. I guess I don't like how they sound when they argue, their song is... "Eeehhh"  :rhett_ohsnap to me.

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Dil and Ichy's song was funny and catchy, but they almost came across a little stupid to me. I will say one thing I like about Dil, she is the only girl bad guy. All other bad guys were boys! Pterano didn't even have a girl in his posse! :facepalm

Maybe Redclaw is a girl. :bestsharptooth
Go Chomper!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Dil and Ichy's song was funny and catchy, but they almost came across a little stupid to me. I will say one thing I like about Dil, she is the only girl bad guy. All other bad guys were boys! Pterano didn't even have a girl in his posse! :facepalm

Maybe Redclaw is a girl. :bestsharptooth

Unless you count Chomper’s Mom in LBTII, and Pterosaur Mother who drops Ducky in a best of baby Pteradons. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:30:35 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
It still surprises me how much bile these two get. I always thought they were pretty funny and entertaining. Maybe people just found them too over-the-top and goofy? Which even I will agree that it is unfortunate that we never had another antagonist in the series quite as good as the original Sharptooth. Still, I think Dil & Ichy were two of the better villains for sure.

I will admit, it also surprises me how most people seem to prefer Ozzy & Strut, whereas for me it was the opposite. More surprising still because I always had the impression that LBT 4 is the most popular of the Roy Allen Smith sequels, and one of the more popular sequels in general, although I guess it's for reasons other than Dil & Ichy.

Quote from: A previous post I made
Perhaps the reason I didn't care for Ozzy and Strut was because I found them too jarring a contrast, coming on the heels of the menacing Sharptooth from the first movie. Whereas by the time I made it to the fourth movie, I was more used to the idea of comedic villains. Although I still think Ichy and Dil were more well-done in that regard anyway.
Beyond that, though, I'm not really sure why I liked Dil & Ichy better. It's hard to articulate.

They both speak the leaf-eater language in the film, which is curious, especially in the case of Dil who is an obligate carnivore. How do you think that Dil learned the language?  Was, as proposed in this topic, Dil and Ichy formerly friendly sharpteeth?  Or do you have another idea that you would propose?
A good question, albeit one that I never thought of before. Note that Ozzy & Strut can speak it too. Hmmm. The best answer I can offer is perhaps that regular T-rex Sharpteeth have their own language, but most of the other dinosaur species all speak the same common language, which includes Dil & Ichy. Even though I guess Dil could count as a Sharptooth as well, she seems different from the standard Sharpteeth due to being a crocodile. Or else perhaps she learned to speak it from Ichy, although I'm learning more towards the former explanation.

However, that itself leads to the question... why do T-rexes have their own separate language from everyone else?
:thinking
Regardless, I do think the language thing is an interesting concept, and one that I wish the series had explored further.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:50:53 PM by StardustSoldier »