The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Night Terrors Sung of in "Always There"...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
...normal or trauma based? I was just watching "The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island" when it dawned on me that the terrors Littlefoot, Ducky, Petrie, Spike and Cera spoke of may go deeper than just normal kid "monster under the bed" stuff. In the original film, they were separated from their parents, and lost and alone in a big harsh world filled with horrors beyond all imagination up until they found each other...so they could be constantly terrified together. We only saw a little over an hour's worth of their hardships, so knows what else they encountered other than the orignial Sharptooth, the spiney critter, and the Pachys.

Examples:

Ducky, during her section, the lyrics spoke of noises like things "creeping up on" her. Cera was afraid of the loud noises the rain produced (possible ramaifications of the earth in the original), and of course there's Littlefoot's reference to his mother.
On top of that, there are also the adventures they'd experienced since the original.

Just a hypothesis, but I think the fears they sang of are more based in rational fear than most kid's night fears. Anyhow, this is just a thought I thought I'd pose here.  :D
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've not seen the first film in a while.  From what I do recall there is some characters we are not sure how long they were separated from their parents.  I only recall Ducky and Petrie and they were already separated for who knows how long till they encountered Littlefoot, and in Petrie's case Ducky too.  It also seems there are some cuts in the film, one can put their own scenes there, as well as one can assume there are some unseen adventures and encounters the gang had before they got to the great valley, and some Cera and the others had when they separated from Littlefoot while he found the valley.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
We may never know what they actually went through that was edited out for time and rating or whatever constraints. They could have seen even more horrendous terror they we know nothing of. However, I will say that that it certainly goes somewhat deeper that "monster under the bed fear."

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
There's nothing else anyone wants to add here? Come on, people!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Don't worry, I'm here to assist the forum.

The fears the children seem to face at night would be based in rationality. How many times have they nearly died? What would happen to them if they were to be badly injured? If one of them broke a bone? One must also keep in mind that there are no sources of protection other than themselves, their friends, and their families. No police, no EMS, no firefighters, no military.

We take these things for granted, but in the setting of the movie, none of these things exist. They could be killed in their sleep by a hungry Tyrannosaurus for all they know. And when it is dark... it is DARK; there were no streetlights, no light bulbs, and certainly no means of producing light... not even a torch or a lantern.

I would imagine that at night they would be most vulnerable. Heck, I could take an axe and probably kill a sauropod by chopping it in the head if I could catch it asleep, assuming their heads really were laid on the ground as shown in the films.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
With the terrors they faced that may well magnify the fears they have at night.  Also they may have seen a lot of things not only not shown in the films when they were together, but also before they were separated from their parents and were still with their parents.  Likely they saw them battling and escaping from sharpteeth and other things, now they have no parents around.  And like mentioned before, it's darker then most of the earth nowadays.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I think the children were afraid to be put into a similar situation as in LBT 1 and not be able to escape.  I mean, If I were them, I would've felt trapped, wouldn't have you?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would have been.  They were likely experiencing much the same feelings as in the first movie, except instead of having a place to go to, they were stuck on an island, with their parents across the big water and no way to get to their parents.  Though scary, at least in the first movie they had a possible way to get to their parents and a goal.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
They were also separated from their parents in the first movie. They basically had as much of a way to reach them in the first movie as they did in LBT 5, only instead of a great earth shake, it was... something... that removed the land bridge. They found a way off in LBT, and they reached the Valley in the original, so it's the same situation -- kind of.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are some fears which are so far spread that they seem almost instinctive (though on the other hand many of those fears seem to depend on the way people are brought up). If you go alone into a dense forest in a dark night most of you will feel uneasy even when you are fully aware that there is nothing really to fear. This is just one example which may be more far spread than for example arachnophobia (fear of spiders) which is likely to be more based on observing other people's reaction than the fear of a dark wood, which may be really based on a much older instinct of survival. I am not sure though that all of the human fears can be ascribed to LBT dinosaurs as well. We did see examples for fear of the dark (Cera in LBT 2 (First she provoked Littlefoot asking "Scared of the dark?", while later on she shows uneasiness in this respect herself: "It sure is dark in here"), fear of hight (Spike and Ducky in LBT 6 (both seem to be very inconsistent in this though. While Ducky has no problem to leap over the rocky pillars she is very uneasy about walking over the log. In LBT 2, 5, and 6 Spike shows distinctive disregard about hights)), and fear of insects (Cera in LBT 4 and 5) in the movies.

Bruton the Iguanodon

In the original film, they were separated from their parents, and lost and alone in a big harsh world filled with horrors beyond all imagination up until they found each other...so they could be constantly terrified together. We only saw a little over an hour's worth of their hardships, so knows what else they encountered other than the orignial Sharptooth, the spiney critter, and the Pachys.

:( Sigh...and this is all because a lot of scenes of their hardships were cut (against Bluth's decision) from that film, cause they were "too scary" for the kids. It was originally much longer, did you know that? (You probably do, practically everyone on here does!) I'm actually surprised the spiney critter (It's called a Dimetron, I think) made it into the final cut at all. Movie 1 deserved better then it got, really. We fans have tried our best to see if the cut scenes still exist someplace. A few members claim to have seen the uncut version, even though that footage was apparently destroyed. Only a few pictures currently tell us what scenes were cut. The books don't seem to offer much more then the content of these sparse images. But could the missing footage still exist? To quote from a topic about an interview with Will Ryan (Movie 1's Petrie):

When he was finally asked if any of the trimmed footage would ever be available on a DVD, Ryan gave a rueful smile and replied,” Maybe someone from Universal will include it on an anniversary edition.”

Perhaps he is just speculating. Or maybe he knows something we don't. Either way, it's our mission to find these scenes, and we won't stop till we find them or know for sure they're gone! I wish everyone on here good luck! ;)

For now, have fun with fanfiction extending movie 1!

Bruton the Iguanodon

In the original film, they were separated from their parents, and lost and alone in a big harsh world filled with horrors beyond all imagination up until they found each other...so they could be constantly terrified together. We only saw a little over an hour's worth of their hardships, so knows what else they encountered other than the orignial Sharptooth, the spiney critter, and the Pachys.

sad.gif Sigh...and this is all because a lot of scenes of their hardships were cut (against Bluth's decision) from that film, cause they were "too scary" for the kids. It was originally much longer, did you know that? (You probably do, practically everyone on here does!) I'm actually surprised the spiney critter (It's called a Dimetron, I think) made it into the final cut at all. Movie 1 deserved better then it got, really. We fans have tried our best to see if the cut scenes still exist someplace. A few members claim to have seen the uncut version, even though that footage was apparently destroyed. Only a few pictures currently tell us what scenes were cut. The books don't seem to offer much more then the content of these sparse images. But could the missing footage still exist? To quote from a topic about an interview with Will Ryan (Movie 1's Petrie):

When he was finally asked if any of the trimmed footage would ever be available on a DVD, Ryan gave a rueful smile and replied,” Maybe someone from Universal will include it on an anniversary edition.”

Perhaps he is just speculating. Or maybe he knows something we don't. Either way, it's our mission to find these scenes, and we won't stop till we find them or know for sure they're gone! I wish everyone on here good luck! wink.gif

For now, have fun with fanfiction extending movie 1!

(Sorry I reposted, I just want to make sure peopl see my post)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
(Sorry I reposted, Dec 23 2011, 05:36 AM I just want to make sure people see my post)

Don't do that, Bruton. Everybody can see your post. Re-posting it won't make it more visible. It can only earn you a warning, because re-posting is spam.

Bruton the Iguanodon

instead of a great earth shake, it was... something... that removed the land bridge.

Just so you know, it's called a "Tsunami". Don't feel bad if you haven't heard that word before, not everyone has.

They were also separated from their parents in the first movie. They basically had as much of a way to reach them in the first movie as they did in LBT 5, only instead of a great earth shake, it was... something... that removed the land bridge. They found a way off in LBT, and they reached the Valley in the original, so it's the same situation -- kind of.

And then the same thing happens again in LBT 9...so really, 5 and 9 are both shadows of the original in a way.

We may never know what they actually went through that was edited out for time and rating or whatever constraints. They could have seen even more horrendous terror they we know nothing of.

It's our duty as Gang of Five members to track down the missing scenes if they exist. If they do, by some slim chance---then we'll know for sure what horrendous terros they saw. (We won't let our kids watch it till they're older, of course!)

I'd also like to point out I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was watching LBT 1 and it was at the part where they'd reached the rock that looks like a longneck, and I was about to turn off the TV since I'd seen the movie so many times, when suddenly as it switched to the next scene something caught my eye. The scene was...different.
It had them going through a muddy swamp like we see in the next scene in the usual cut, but...this time it showed it from the beginning. And it was foccusing on Cera and Petrie...and I left, swearing I'd come back to see the rest but by the time I wanted to I'd woken up.  :(  

Anyways, how come there are no fanmade extensions of movie 1? I bet we here could come up with some interesting ideas about the perils they were in that were "offscreen". I mean, I think there should have been more scenes showing them traveling to the valley; the whole gang isn't even together until more then halfway into the film!  :( I'd do anything for the uncut version, but for now, the best we can do is make a fanmade one. It could be a hand-down sript---each member doing a post of a part of the film.