The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I dare say a switch in the color of Mo's eye is nothing to ruin the movie, nor is it the only, nor the "worst" case of such a color switch throughout the sequels. For the sake of proving that point (As you say you didn't notice this before) take a look at the goodbye scene from Ali in LBT 4. Spike's chin is switching from orange to green and back. While such mistakes can rightfully be mentioned (preferably in ONE thread about all the errors in the series) I do not think that they can render a good movie bad unless they come in really excessive numbers or to an extremely bad degree, which is not the case with LBT 9. Are errors such as these enough for you to consider LBT 9 the worst ever?
After all you do think it was a great story and you (in spite of claiming hatred for music in general) love all of the music. There are many positive things that can be said about the animation in LBT three. There is a good blending of realistic skies and water with the rest of the landscapes and the characters, good effects (e.g. during the thunderstorm), there is an impressive sharptooth (the last one we have seen so far in the sequels), and very emotional scenes.
Are such flaws as Mo's eye-rings switching from pink to purple, or an overzized Ducky really enough for you to render the movie the worst ever?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
(in spite of claiming hatred for music in general) love all of the music

I said I hate all music except that of LBT music (this was in another thread).

In all, the thing I hated most of all about lbt 9 is the computer animation.  It just doesn't go well with lbt in my opinion.

I really haven't noticed many errors in other sequals (I'm not calling you a liar of course).  I don't know what it is that makes me notice the errors in lbt 9 so much.  I just do.  I guess it's because I focused more and more on this sequal when I first got it.  This was my newest sequal for about 4 months because I refused to download them so it pretty much got watched about twice a day for four months in a row so that's about 240 times.  I guess since it's my most frequently watched lbt sequal, I noticed more errors than other ones.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Are such flaws as Mo's eye-rings switching from pink to purple, or an overzized Ducky really enough for you to render the movie the worst ever?

Now let's get something straight here.  I didn't say lbt 9 was the worst movie ever, I said that it was the worst of the lbt sequals.  There are plenty of movies I hate more than lbt 9 that arn't lbt.  I could probably write a book about all the movies I hate.  I'm not here for that though.

As I said in my post (above), I just noticed the errors more in lbt 9.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Except for "Moeeeeee" I found this to be one of weakest installments. The entire journey into Mysterious Beyond didn't seem realistic. Unlike The Secret of Saurus Rock, Journey Through The Mists, Stone of Cold Fire, and Journey of Brave, which all featured plots where the Gang of Five had to rescue kin and family members, Journey to Big Water is a quest for a friend, while not necessarily weak, it just doesn't seem to warrant the peril the other installments did.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Land Before Time 9 was a okay movie I guess. It did have it's flaws I did find moe annoying a bit. The plot was weak very weak actually it was to help send him home kind of a very boring plot if you ask me. The songs in this movie where actually good and very catchy. So as the sequels go yeah this one was one of the worst ones out there but not the worst it was still watchable.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 26 2017 on  12:05 AM
Land Before Time 9 was a okay movie I guess. It did have it's flaws I did find moe annoying a bit. The plot was weak very weak actually it was to help send him home kind of a very boring plot if you ask me. The songs in this movie where actually good and very catchy. So as the sequels go yeah this one was one of the worst ones out there but not the worst it was still watchable.
I was rather annoyed that they supplemented one of songs with "Big Big Big Water" from LBT V: The Mysterious Island. I thought that was rather lazy to just recycle a song from another installment. While it did make sense to pay homage to the "Big Water" they could have done some variation, even the pros like Hanz Zimmer and John Williams know to do variations.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Here's another error.  The area around Mo's eye is origionally the pinkish color but on one of the scene's it was colored purple.
Haha, even before I popped into this thread, I noticed that while watching, and I often don't pick up on little animation errors like that.

Anyway, I saw the film earlier today. Unfortunately, this is the first of the series that I didn't really care for at all. Like, it wasn't terrible or anything, but there wasn't all that much I enjoyed about it either. Even compared to some of the prior sequels, this one was too fluffy and light-hearted for my liking. Despite the earthshake and the swimming sharptooth, there wasn't much of a sense of danger throughout. I did like the design of the swimming sharptooth, and I think he could have been scary, but he just didn't show up enough for it to feel like he was ever much of a threat.

Even the way he was "defeated" was pretty lame. The last we see of him is when he chases after Mo. Then later when the gang finds Mo still alive, all we get is Mo telling us about what happened after the fact. Although even if they had shown that, all we would've seen was Mo hiding from the sharptooth in a log, and then the sharptooth would've just swam away. Bah.

Speaking of Mo, he had a cute design, but the character himself was annoying. Why did they have to give him such a weird voice?

I'm also getting fed up with Mr. Threehorn. After his character development in the third film, he should've started to mellow out by now. But no, he's still a big jerk. I'm starting to feel that he got flanderized into being "the mean, grumpy dinosaur."

Lastly, the other films all had good plotlines, but the plot here was a little weak. *shrug* I just think they could've come up with something more compelling than simply guiding a goofy fish creature back to the sea. It's ironic that the film opens with the kids singing about how bored they are, because the journey to the big water itself was on the dull side. :p

I don't want to sound too negative. Aside from a bit of patchy CG work, the animation as per usual was lovely to look at. And the gang themselves are still endearing as always. But overall, I guess I was just disappointed with this one because I'd been enjoying the series up to this point.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:10:19 AM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Saw the film again a few days ago. My overall opinion of it hasn't changed a whole lot, but I did want to chime in with some new thoughts. This time around I'll be going a bit more... in-depth with it... :P

Mo has definitely grown on me. I have a certain @ImpracticalDino to thank for that one.
:Mo

Still, I find this to be one of the more dull and underwhelming entries in the series.

We do get a pretty cool underwater/stormy opening, at least. Great music too; it's so bombastic and fits the deep sea mood. Although it does start to get a bit redundant hearing the narrator give a similar speech about prehistoric life at the beginning of every movie.

Likewise, while I enjoy the underwater concept in itself, which helps LBT 9 stand out in a long-running film series, I do wish they'd gone further with the underwater/ocean vibes. It's a solid concept, but it was underdeveloped. The film focuses on their journey to big water, but they only reach it at the very end, and then we only see it briefly before the Gang heads back home. Why not make the entire journey a full-on ocean adventure with Mo instead? That would probably have made for a more energetic and exciting movie.

Which leads to my next point in that it takes a while for the film to really get going, one of my biggest problems with it. Also, what's up with Petrie suddenly having an imaginary friend? That sure came off random. :wacko

I really don't think it was a good idea for the characters to start off with a song about boredom. It just gives the film itself a dull feeling. Likewise, as you may have guessed, I'm not a big fan of "Imaginary Friend" either. However, I did enjoy the "Big Water" reprise. I also liked "No One Has to Be Alone", especially the end credits version!

I'm still not a fan of the way they handled the swimming sharptooth, but his design at least is suitably frightening. Mo's fake-out death was pretty lame, although I did get a kick out of Mo sticking his tongue out at the sharptooth and then whacking the sharptooth's face with his flipper. Somehow, I can just imagine ImpracticalDino doing that if he were a fish like Mo.
:Mo :Mo

Lastly, I appreciate that this is the final film where we get to hear James Horner's music. That's always a joy even despite some of my more lukewarm feelings.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I have yet to see JOTB, so it'll be excluded from the list.

1. The Great Longneck Migration
2. The Great Valley Adventure
3. The Big Freeze
4. Journey Through the Mists
5. The Great Day of the Flyers
6. Journey to Big Water
7. The Secret of Saurus Rock
8. The Mysterious Island
9. The Stone of Cold Fire
10. Invasion of the Tinysauruses
11. The Time of the Great Giving
12. The Wisdom of Friends
This movie is one of my higher-ranked sequels. It's one of the B-sequels in my tier list, but I found it enjoyable. I will admit in hindsight that some of the CGI effects looked shoddy (in comparison to the smooth-looking snow in the previous movie, LBT 8), but to be honest, it never caught my eye as a child. All of the songs, sans "Boring", were also really good, and I thought the dynamic between Mo and the gang was adequate enough.

I think what really sold it for me, though, was the return of the Big Water. The last time the gang had an encounter with the Big Water, they had a really bad impression of it. Here, the scene of Littlefoot seeing everything that lived in the Big Water resolved that unexpected story arc. Of course, he almost drowned in it, proving the Big Water was still a dangerous place, but still, I liked the lesson here, which is that one should never judge a book by its cover. Or, in this case, first impression.

Sarah

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I watched this film a couple of days ago. It was great to watch it again!
I don't have much to say about the story. There are some different storylines at the same time during the main story, like how Littlefoot learns, that you are "only as alone as alone as you choose to be" or the conflict beetween Mo and Cera, but both of them, Littlefoot's loneliness and Cera's jealousy end as quick as they began. The movie starts, after the great opening narration in the beginning, with a lot of talking and singing. I somehow even enjoyed this part part of the film, but I was shocked when I realized, that I had watched already nearly 1\3 of the film and only a few things had happened, after the "imagienary friend" song. Most of the parts of the film are uneventful, but the swimming sharptooth really subrised me in a good way. I'm not a fan of his design, but he is kind of dangerous and the scenes where he appears-espacially the last scene-are pretty good in my opinion, even when they are short.
The animation is okay. Only the colours are a little bit too bright sometimes in my opinion.
I also love the music in this film, not the songs, they are all good, but not as great as the music, that played in the background. When the six friends came to the big water, I heard the best scores of the whole "Land Before Time"-series play in the background. There was James Horner's "Discovery Of The Great Valley", the music from the end of the fift movie and Micheal Tavera's "The Valley". About the songs: I didn't pay much attention to "No One Has To Be Alone" until I came across this website. Maybe I nearly forgot this song, because of its only very small link to the main story. It's also hard for me to figure out, what made Littlefoot starting to sing this song.Mo shows him the star swimmers, he looks up to the stars and starts to sing. What made him suddently realize, that he isn't alone? Littlefoots lines in "Always There" from the fifth movie could answer this question. Or he just realized, that when it's dark at night, all those tiny lights in the sky are actually other...  That would be telling, wouldn't it?

The last time the gang had an encounter with the Big Water, they had a really bad impression of it. Here, the scene of Littlefoot seeing everything that lived in the Big Water resolved that unexpected story arc. Of course, he almost drowned in it, proving the Big Water was still a dangerous place, but still, I liked the lesson here, which is that one should never judge a book by its cover. Or, in this case, first impression.
Yeah, you're right. Somehow the big water in the fifth movie and the big water in the ninth movie look like different places. I fifth movie only Elsie gives us a hint on, that there are also nice creatures who live in the big water, in the end of the ninth movie we see a lot of them. The sea in the fifth movie is deep and sometimes a bit rough, while in the ninth movie it has clear water and a smooth water surface.

Finally I discovered, that Mo is voiced Rob Paulsen(!) This is hard to believe. Mo and Guido are voiced by the same person? Wow!

I wish I could have done this post a few days earlier, but I had some problems with the keyboard of my computer. That's why I had to write this text without autocorrecture and I had to change the language setting on my computer from english to my native language and back very often.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:12:02 PM by Sarah »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
The last time the gang had an encounter with the Big Water, they had a really bad impression of it. Here, the scene of Littlefoot seeing everything that lived in the Big Water resolved that unexpected story arc. Of course, he almost drowned in it, proving the Big Water was still a dangerous place, but still, I liked the lesson here, which is that one should never judge a book by its cover. Or, in this case, first impression.
Yeah, you're right. Somehow the big water in the fifth movie and the big water in the ninth movie look like different places. I fifth movie only Elsie gives us a hint on, that there are also nice creatures who live in the big water, in the end of the ninth movie we see a lot of them. The sea in the fifth movie is deep and sometimes a bit rough, while in the ninth movie it has clear water and a smooth water surface.
Yeah, definitely. I'm glad this movie returned to and affirmed what Elsie had been saying.