The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Great Divide

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This one is actually for The Land Before Time XVII: The Terror of the Mysterious Beyond Part 2: Whispering Heart.   This is the opening.  It takes place right after "Banished!" from the ending of The Land Before Time XVII: The Terror of the Mysterious Beyond Part 1: The Bothtooth Tyrant.

(I admit, on these things, I'm going to have to get a list of these links or whatnot and put them in here or on Fanfiction.net as a  story with chapters.)

So far I have stories for

1.) The Old One
2.)  Pterano and Papa Flyer
3.)  Gallim (though only part of one)
4.) Ozzy and Strut (though that's not much and not published yet)
5.)  Littlefoot's Banishment
6.)  This one here

I do have plans for

7.)  Chomper's Dark Secert
8.)  Ruined Star Day
9.)  Soul Mates  (Littlefoot and Al with Rhett in between)
10.) Sharptooht Love (Chomper and Andromeda)  

11.)  The Sharptooth King (Red Claw)
12.)   Ruby Stuff

13.) Petrie and Perrin

I have more, but I still have to think of those.

He was banished.  He could never go back.  He would never see his friends again.   Ali would never fall in love with him now.    He had wanted to be a leader.  Well, now he knew what the consequences of a decision could bring.  “I’m not ready.” he said to himself.
He yearned to get back, yet, how could he?  Unless….unless…..the Terror of the Mysterious Beyond!    If he got this evil fiend captured or killed, they’d probably take him back as he’d save dozens of lives.  Pterano had had his punishment reduced for saving Ducky.  It could happen.
However, he thought about whom the Terror of the Mysterious Beyond might be and his heart fell.   What if Gallim had been right, that Chomper had been posing as a nice Sharptooth only to harm the innocent?  What if Chomper was a mass murderer?   Yet, Chomper had been his friend for years.  They had been through so much together.   Could he finish him or would it be better, painful as it was, to stay out here forever so that he could remember Chomper in peace?
He thought of back where, until earlier, had been his home.    He loved Cera, Ducky, Petrie, Spike, and Ruby.   He loved his grandparents and his father.  He loved Shorty his foster brother.   And, most especially, he loved Ali.  He really loved her.  He knew that she was The One.   However, how could she choose him now?  What life would that be, always living in the Mysterious Beyond?    
Also, the Old One was her great-great aunt.  Ali had lost a family member and it was his fault.  He, the biggest longneck fool in the world.   He hadn’t learned from his mother’s death after all.   Now someone else was dead.
He had hoped to make the world a better place.  A place worth living in.  He’d hoped to fix the wrongs of the world, particularly the separation of the kinds.   All he’d done was leave it a mess.  If he’d just have stayed asleep, his mother would still be alive.  If he had never gone on that crazy attempt to get back an egg from the Egg Stealers, he would never have met Chomper and he’d  be back home with his family and the Old One would still be alive.
He passed the Mountains the Burn.  The place looked frightening in the middle of the night.  The skeletons and tar and the lava.  Also, there were the evil Domeheads there.  They were dangerous and he recalled his unpleasant meetings with them.  He stayed clear of that place for, even at his age, the place looked dark and forbidding.    It was just as well, for the Domeheads were in league with Gallim and were on the lookout for Littlefoot, Chomper, and Andromeda.
He passed the rock that looked like a longneck.  He recalled it was one of the places that his mother told him to go to on the way to the Great Valley.  He yearned to be back in the Great Valley now, but he couldn’t go back yet.  Not while his banishment still held up.  He really wished his mother were still alive.  She’d know what to do.
His thoughts of her made him head, without really thinking of it, toward the Great Divide.  He had been heading this way already, feeling that there was something here for him.  It was kind of like when he had had the sleep stories that he should go somewhere and when he had found his father.
As he drew near where he’d last seen his mother, he found a familiar face.  It was Rooter.  Though older, he was still around.   “Hello there.  Glad to see you again.” said Littlefoot.  “When did I see you before kid?” he asked.  “About 20 cold times ago.  20, in fact, coming up soon.  We last met after my mother was killed by Sharptooth.” said Littlefoot.  
“Ah, I recall you.   How are you doing kid?” said Rooter.  “Not so well.  Another tragedy has happened.  And like last time, it’s my fault.” said Littlefoot.  “It wasn’t your fault last time.  I told you that.  What happened this time?”  Rooter asked.  “I thought I could change someone.  It was such a silly idea.” said Littlefoot.  
“Well, some people you can’t change.  You’ll have to get used to that.” said Rooter.  “I’d hoped that if I got him when he was just a baby, I could change him so he wouldn’t be a killer.” said Littlefoot.  “Who?” said Rooter.  “Chomper.  He’s a Sharptooth.  My friends and I got him by mistake when we went after eggnappers.  I was the one who stayed and took care of him.  We became pals for many cold times.  However,  on the night of the Fire Circle, it looks like he may have succumbed to his nature.  He almost ate the Old One.  He attacked her, which I’m sure he didn’t mean, as he was just trying to protect Andromeda.  However, I saw the look in his eyes.  It was the same look Sharptooth had when looking at Mother.  Also, he said that he had once tried to hunt us and that he’d eaten Leaf Eater meat before.  Also, the Old One died from her wounds.  I helped Chomper get away.  I wasn’t sure if he was bad or not.  He was my friend.  I got banished for what I did.  Now I’ll never see my friends again.”  said Littlefoot.  “Well, nobody’s perfect kid.  We all make mistakes. “ said Rooter.  “And, I’ll never get to see Ali now.   I think she is my Soul Mate.  I am the lost hope for my herd.  Grandpa and Grandma and Father are too old to have kids now.  I’m banished out here.  I’ve failed.” said the longneck.  
“If Ali loves you like you love her, she’ll find a way to get to you, despite your banishment.” said Rooter.  “Why would she want to live out here her whole life?  If there was a place she should live, it’s the Great Valley.  It is the best place one could live.” said Littlefoot.  “The best place to live is with those who love you.” said Rooter.
“Nice talking to you again.” said Littlefoot, turning to go.  “Wait kid.  One last thing you should know.” said Rooter.  “There was this guy looking for you right after you left the last time we met.  He seemed odd.  Why look for a kid who just lost his mother?  Something didn’t seem right.   I told him to be on his way.” said Rooter.  
Littlefoot left Rooter.  He now had even more to think about.  Why had someone asked to find him?  Someone that he couldn’t have known, for he had only known longnecks and the only other kind he had met at that point, other than Rooter himself, was Cera.   Also, there was the evil laugh he had heard.  Perhaps they were one and the same.  There might have been someone after him.  Someone seeking him harm!
But, then again, it couldn’t have been a Sharptooth, as Rooter would have ran and the only Sharpteeth that Littlefoot knew could talk were……he paused.  He didn’t want to think of them.   He once more hated Sharpteeth, even Chomper and Andromeda.  
He approached the Great Divide.  The place felt creepy, even in all the ensuing cold times.  So many had died here.  His mother was only one of them.   The place felt haunted.  He travelled along and finally, he came, well past nightfall, to the place where he had last seen her.
Much to his shock, there were no bones from her remains.  There was, however, a ton of stones.  Somebody had put her to rest.  Perhaps other dinosaurs who may have lost family in the Great Earthshake and had decided to bury any dead they found.  
He moved against the rocks where his mother lay, resting, unaware that her son was back.  That he had failed her so miserably.  That he would never be able to go back to the Great Valley, where she had told him many times how to get there.
“Mother, I really wish we could have traded places.  It’s me that should have been killed by Sharptooth, not you.  All I’ve done is make the world worse.  The world is better off without me.” said Littlefoot.   With that sad thought in his mind, he fell asleep.
“Littlefoot, you are the best.” said Cera.  “Hey guys!” said Littlefoot.  “We love you.  Yep, yep, yep we do.” said Ducky.  “Me glad you our friend.” said Petrie.  Spike nodded his approval.  “Oh Littlefoot, you are so brave and loving!  Stop beating yourself up.” said Ali.  
“Guys, I cannot see you.  I’ve been kicked out.  Chomper might be the Terror of the Mysterious Beyond.  If I can stop the Terror of the Mysterious Beyond, then I could come back.” said Littlefoot.  “If Chomper is the Terror of the Mysterious Beyond, you will have to find out to know.  And the only way to know and find out is to find out by going and finding him yourself to find out for sure.” said Ruby.  
“Guys, I’ve done nothing to help you.  Your lives are better off without me.” he said to them.  Then, it happened.  He heard the evil laugh again.  A shadow like that a Sharptooth.  The shadow hit his friends and they screamed and vanished.  All around him, the shadow consumed his grandparents, his father, Ali’s mother, Petrie’s mother, Ducky’s parents, Topps and Tria, and everyone.  In its wake, it showed Sierra, Red Claw, and Ozzy in the Great Valley.  “NO!’ yelled Littlefoot.  The three were laughing evilly.  Also, he heard the evil laughing voice.  It said “The longneck at last is dead!  The Great Valley and the dinosaur world are mine!”
“No, stop it!  Please stop it!” said Littlefoot.  “You cannot stop it.  You don’t want to exist anymore” said a voice.  
'

[To Be Continued]