The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Grandpa Longneck vs Tornetar!

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
Awsome! okay everybody to show the charactors in better detail. here is Grandpa alone. well, you can see Tornetar's Muzzle. but other then that, you get the idea. lol...

and here is the Dastardly Dino himself. Tornetar the Terrorsaurus Rex!

comment and enjoy!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I've had a habit of taking FOREVER to post in threads lately. :bang

I can’t come up with much to say that I haven’t already said about the original picture, :oops but it’s neat to see the characters in maximum detail. :smile

By the way, TITANOSAUR, I feel like I owe you an apology. I jumped to conclusions about your fanfic, “The Bite of Tornetar”. :oops I assumed from the title, and the knowledge that it involved Grandpa Longneck fighting a giant, murderous sharptooth (and the fact that I had seen numerous gory fanfics with similar general plots), that it was a very violent story. Then I saw some of your posts in other threads (namely one in which you stated your opposition of violent LBT fanfics), and realized that I might have been mistaken. Afterwards I skimmed through your story, and decided that while it was a little confusing in some respects, felt a bit rushed at times, and still wasn’t quite my preferred kind of LBT fanfic, it was definitely not excessively violent, and overall not a bad story. I felt bad about my earlier presumptive comment that it wasn’t the kind of LBT story I would like to read because of its violence level. I’m sorry for saying that.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Aug 26 2010 on  10:24 PM
I've had a habit of taking FOREVER to post in threads lately. :bang

I can’t come up with much to say that I haven’t already said about the original picture, :oops but it’s neat to see the characters in maximum detail. :smile

By the way, TITANOSAUR, I feel like I owe you an apology. I jumped to conclusions about your fanfic, “The Bite of Tornetar”. :oops I assumed from the title, and the knowledge that it involved Grandpa Longneck fighting a giant, murderous sharptooth (and the fact that I had seen numerous gory fanfics with similar general plots), that it was a very violent story. Then I saw some of your posts in other threads (namely one in which you stated your opposition of violent LBT fanfics), and realized that I might have been mistaken. Afterwards I skimmed through your story, and decided that while it was a little confusing in some respects, felt a bit rushed at times, and still wasn’t quite my preferred kind of LBT fanfic, it was definitely not excessively violent, and overall not a bad story. I felt bad about my earlier presumptive comment that it wasn’t the kind of LBT story I would like to read because of its violence level. I’m sorry for saying that.
hey, its quite okay dude, I'm glad you atleast enjoyed it. and it may have been rushed in most parts because I was eager. The Ascention Of Rahl will feature 4 chapters so I'll give that one more thought to its story. one of the things that bothered me about TBOT, is I didn't think it all the way through and the story got messed up in alot of places. I would like to make TBOT into a comic one day though. but I lack the skills to make a comic so yeah, I don't think it'll happen.

Violence in LBT is always gonna be an aspect in my fanfics. but I would never kill off a LBT charactor. and I hate it when it happens in LBT fanfics because it usualy involves one of my favorite charactors being killed off.

Grandpa got the spotlight cuz I felt he didn't have many staring rolls in fanfics or in the movies or TV series (one episode bout it). so I felt he should be givin a bigger roll in TBOT.

Ali will be staring in TAOR because shes my favorite charactor. and I felt she should have a spotlight fanfic that doesn't involve her falling in love with littlefoot or anything like most fanfics (It does get mentioned a couple times but is mostly never touched upon much).

TBOT I wanted to make a change in how fanfics are done. a fanfic can have violence and it can have death. but it doesn't have to involve the death of a LBT charactor. especialy if they die for no reason. but I also like to keep it realistic, if a charactor is going to fight something dangerous they will get injured but I'd never kill anybody.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
hey everybody hate to double post, but heres the colored version. its about as best as I can get it.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow. I didn't expect those colors for Tornetar. :blink: For some reason I imagined him as being red, or at least his eyes as being red. Still, the white, pupil-less eye makes him look pretty scary. It's a shame that his spikes and armor are so hard to see now, though.

You did a good job on the saliva in Tornetar's mouth. :yes Is it red because he's recently bitten someone or been injured, and therefore there's blood in his mouth? (Whoa, I just realized that this picture looks like a possible scene from the story Cera and Littlefoot were telling at the end of LBT VI. :blink:)

Grandpa Longneck's colors are pretty good, although I think that the color you put on his belly looks more like his main body color in the LBT films. His underside should be lighter than the rest of him, and his claws should be white.

I like the color you gave the ground, by the way.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow. I didn't expect those colors for Tornetar.  For some reason I imagined him as being red, or at least his eyes as being red. Still, the white, pupil-less eye makes him look pretty scary. It's a shame that his spikes and armor are so hard to see now, though.

yeah, well Tornetar is supposed to have eyes that have a glowing red puble and a orange ring around his iris. but I felt giving him white pupless eyes would make him much more demonic.

Tornetar's skin color was ment to look like ash and charchole. with a grey underbelly.

You did a good job on the saliva in Tornetar's mouth.  Is it red because he's recently bitten someone or been injured, and therefore there's blood in his mouth? (Whoa, I just realized that this picture looks like a possible scene from the story Cera and Littlefoot were telling at the end of LBT VI. )
[/b]

hes got blood in his saliva because in the story, he gets hit in the mouth by an Ankylosaurus (Tosk) and it breaks off one of his teeth and it causes him to bleed. you can't see the broken tooth in this pic because its on the other side of the mouth in hidden view. I don't remember LBT VI its been too long sence I've seen it. I'll have to rent it sometime.

Grandpa Longneck's colors are pretty good, although I think that the color you put on his belly looks more like his main body color in the LBT films. His underside should be lighter than the rest of him, and his claws should be white.
[/b]

yeah I thought I had the color right. and it looked right in person. till I scanned it. must have been the scanner. odd. Tornetar looks like he should.

like the color you gave the ground, by the way.
[/b]

its supposed to be brown. but it came out more of a reddish orange.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Sep 1 2010 on  04:36 PM
I don't remember LBT VI its been too long sence I've seen it. I'll have to rent it sometime.
Basically the final scene in the movie had the gang telling a scary story (similar to Grandpa Longneck's story about the Lone Dinosaur) to a group of younger hatchlings. An excerpt from Cera's part of the story was: “The terrible sharptooth had them cornered! His massive teeth dripped blood as he threw his head back and roared!” Then Littlefoot takes over and introduces “The Great Dinosaur”, who is actually Grandpa Longneck. Notice the resemblance to the picture? :p

yeah I thought I had the color right. and it looked right in person. till I scanned it. must have been the scanner. odd. Tornetar looks like he should.
Uh-oh. So the scanner changed the appearance of the colors when it transferred the image to the computer? Mine does the same thing. I hate that! :mad WMy solution is to make little squares of color on a piece of paper using all of my colored pencils (labeling each one so that I can match them to the correct pencil), scan that onto the computer, and then see how the colors look on the computer. I usually save the scanned color samples so that whenever I plan to color a picture that I will display on the computer, I can look at them and decide which colored pencils I want to use based on how the colors will look once they've been scanned. Maybe you could use that technique as well.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Sep 1 2010 on  10:59 PM
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Sep 1 2010 on  04:36 PM
I don't remember LBT VI its been too long sence I've seen it. I'll have to rent it sometime.
Basically the final scene in the movie had the gang telling a scary story (similar to Grandpa Longneck's story about the Lone Dinosaur) to a group of younger hatchlings. An excerpt from Cera's part of the story was: “The terrible sharptooth had them cornered! His massive teeth dripped blood as he threw his head back and roared!” Then Littlefoot takes over and introduces “The Great Dinosaur”, who is actually Grandpa Longneck. Notice the resemblance to the picture? :p

Uh-oh. So the scanner changed the appearance of the colors when it transferred the image to the computer? Mine does the same thing. I hate that! :mad WMy solution is to make little squares of color on a piece of paper using all of my colored pencils (labeling each one so that I can match them to the correct pencil), scan that onto the computer, and then see how the colors look on the computer. I usually save the scanned color samples so that whenever I plan to color a picture that I will display on the computer, I can look at them and decide which colored pencils I want to use based on how the colors will look once they've been scanned. Maybe you could use that technique as well.
I think it does this with lighter colors. but yeah I'll have to fix it.

I am thinking of sketching the scene when Grandpa and Tornetar are ontop of the Volcano. I would realy love to also color my sketch of Rahl.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Hey everybody. I asked my bro Nathair if he can put the sky in the background for me. and he said he will. then he asked if he can completely color the original and I let him. and I must say. the resault is fantastic. and completely captures the fight scene between the two way better then when it was just a sketch. here it is.

I have to give lots of credit to my bro Nathair for coloring it. he did a wonderful job and captured my vision wonderfuly.

enjoy.

oh, and if anybody is interested, here is a linky to Nathair's DA page. you can look at all of his fantastic work.

http://lordofnightmarespast.deviantart.com/

DECEPTICONS FOREVER!!!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow! :wow This is awesome!

I have to say Tornetar looks much scarier in this version (though he doesn’t have that fantastic drool :p). His glowing eyes and the reddish area around his mouth make him look very menacing, and I like it that we can see the detail of his spikes and armor.

Grandpa Longneck looks good too, but his outline looks kind of strange for some reason, and his colors seem a little off (his spinal ridge doesn’t look dark enough compared to his body color, and his underside looks too blue). To me it also seems harder to fully appreciate some of the detail on him, namely in his face.

The colors in this version look excellent. In addition to Tornetar’s color palette, I love the colors of the ground and the sky. :yes That said, it looks like Nathair miscolored the area in front of Tornetar’s ankle (The line in front of it was actually an erased line, but it looks like he thought it was part of the outline of a rock or something). He also missed filling in the background color in two spots between Tornetar’s hand claws, and another little triangle of background between Tornetar’s stomach, leg, and tail. Finally, I think those other eraser marks should probably have been colored over or otherwise removed. (Do you have Photoshop or any other program that would enable you to edit scanned pictures and get rid of eraser marks?)

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Sep 21 2010 on  09:10 PM
Wow! :wow This is awesome!

I have to say Tornetar looks much scarier in this version (though he doesn’t have that fantastic drool :p). His glowing eyes and the reddish area around his mouth make him look very menacing, and I like it that we can see the detail of his spikes and armor.

Grandpa Longneck looks good too, but his outline looks kind of strange for some reason, and his colors seem a little off (his spinal ridge doesn’t look dark enough compared to his body color, and his underside looks too blue). To me it also seems harder to fully appreciate some of the detail on him, namely in his face.

The colors in this version look excellent. In addition to Tornetar’s color palette, I love the colors of the ground and the sky. :yes That said, it looks like Nathair miscolored the area in front of Tornetar’s ankle (The line in front of it was actually an erased line, but it looks like he thought it was part of the outline of a rock or something). He also missed filling in the background color in two spots between Tornetar’s hand claws, and another little triangle of background between Tornetar’s stomach, leg, and tail. Finally, I think those other eraser marks should probably have been colored over or otherwise removed. (Do you have Photoshop or any other program that would enable you to edit scanned pictures and get rid of eraser marks?)
The picture was always intended to be dark. thats why you can't see GL face too well.

also there is indeed a rock behind tornetars foot but it was intended to be the skinny kind. I knew nobody figure it out. but I left it like it was anyways. it was hard for Nathair to color such small areas like the places around Tornetars hands and under his belly. and its such a small detail its easy to forgive the mistake.

I don't have photoshop. way too expensive. also, even if I did I'd leave thoughs eraser marks as they are. besides, its too hard to remove such things like eraser marks because they can even be in the charactors themselfs. besides I rather like to think it gives the sketch atmosphere.

also, its hard to find any good source reference of Grandpalongneck. so I told Nathair bout the only think that should be fixed is Grandpa's base coat. the underbelly never realy bothered me.