The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

FBS's New Art Stuffs

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Thanks!! Yes, the white-faced hornet's is so prettily colored, but the wasp is quite an aggressive bugger. You running is a good idea and I probably won't be so smart as to follow your example!! :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Mar 3 2011 on  12:14 AM
I erased so many times, I'm surprised that there's paper left in that spot!
Sounds a lot like what happens with about half of the stuff I draw. :rolleyes

I didn't really give much thought to her actual species as I wanted something very unique but still identifyable as a Fast Biter. But since I'm sure Deinonychus is the second largest raptor (I strongly believe Screech and Thud are Utahraptors based on their size), I guess that's her species!! :^.^:
Actually there’s another dromaeosauróAchillobatoróthat’s close to Utahraptor in size, and there may be a few other species whose sizes overlap with Deinonychus’s.

Personally I think the creators of LBT were most likely thinking of Velociraptor when they designed Screech and Thud’s species, considering that it’s the most popular dromaeosaur. There’s also the LBT name for their kind: fast biter; “Velociraptor” translates to “fast thief” or “swift seizer”. Though I have no idea why the LBT people  designed them with just two fingers, I strongly suspect that they followed the Jurassic Park raptor template, making a dinosaur intended to be Velociraptor much larger than it was in real life. Still, it’s open to interpretation; Utahraptor is well known for having been much closer in size to the JP raptors than the real Velociraptor, and since LBT III had previously featured smaller, different-looking raptors that were explicitly identified as Velociraptor in the credits, Utahraptor may actually make the most sense for Screech and Thud’s species.

Your nitpicks are never annoying! They're very helpful and I'm just as happy to receive them as I am at getting compliments!! Thank you for both your compliments and your constructive criticism!!
I’m very, very grateful and relieved to hear that. :yes Forgive me; I’m completely paranoid when it comes to the issue of “how much nitpicking is too much?”.

Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Mar 3 2011 on  12:55 AM
Okay, I do have to admit, that Wasps' marking's are beautiful but the Wasp itself...*runs in fear*
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Mar 3 2011 on  01:03 AM
Yes, the white-faced hornet's is so prettily colored, but the wasp is quite an aggressive bugger. You running is a good idea and I probably won't be so smart as to follow your example!! :lol
Apparently the Shmidt Sting Pain Index rates that species at a 2.0, on par with yellowjackets and slightly below honeybees. The pain is described as “rich, hearty, slightly crunchy, like your hand has been mashed in a revolving door”. So…not the worst thing you could get stung by, but still pretty painful. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea @ Mar 3 2011 11:30 PM on  
“rich, hearty, slightly crunchy...

Well, that's the funniest description of pain I've ever heard. :smile

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Wow, been a loooooooooong while since I've submitted any new art here! :blink: Well, that's about to change:

These two were a couple of my old OCs based on the Walking with Dinosaurs series. But I couldn't help but take the opportunity to make Land Before Time versions of them. Didn't help that I read a rumor that the designs of Mo and the Swimming Sharptooth were based on the designs given in Walking with Dinosaurs. I could see how that came about; the patterns and even the colors are surprisingly similar.

Anyway, my Swimmer OC is named Optie. In this picture, she's about Mo's age, if not a little younger. Here, she eagerly tells of her newest adventure to her Daddy!

Wait, what?! Yup, she had somehow gotten it into her head that Lio the Swimming Sharptooth is her Daddy. Said sharptooth only goes along with it and takes care of her because she makes such a great hunting lure! There's no attachment to her whatsoever.

Like Mo, Optie is bilingual, but not in the same way Mo is. The Land Before Time has tons of languages and excluding those of the insects and other critters, I see two main categories: The language of the Dinosaurs and the Language of the Marine Reptiles. Both of those in turn are seperated into two: Sharpteeth and Leaf Eater. Although Mo is most likely a fish-and-squid eater, his kind can probably be considered a 'Leaf Eater' of the water world (a Fish-Eater! :D ). Optie cannot speak the language of the Dinosaurs like Mo can, but she can speak to Swimming Sharpteeth. She's like that water-version of Chomper!

Anywho, I drew this by hand and colored on photoshop. I'm not good with shadings and shadows but I tried nonetheless! I also tried to keep both of their original colors and I think they translate pretty well actually.

"Daddy, guess what!" Optie exclaimed, swimming right up to the sleeping sharptooth, who opened his eyes with a bit of an irritated growl. The young Swimmer was unaware of his agitation in her excited state and didn't wait for him to verbally acknowledge her before continuing. "I saw a Curly-Shell like, THIS big!"

She spread out her flippers as wide as she could in an attempt to demonstrate the size of the creature. But her little flippers couldn't go far enough. Undeterred, she giggled with a few hyperactive somersaults. "I tried to play with it, but it was no fun! It hid inside and I couldn't get it out. So I got bored and went back to you."

Finished with her eager anecdote, she beamed at her adoptive 'father', who merely grunted in a combination of boredom, sleepiness, and irritation. "That's nice. Now go to sleep."

"But I'm not tired." she told him, her large eyes blinking as they reflected the ever dimming lights filtering through from the surface above.

"Don't care. Go to sleep. Now." Lio emphasized his words with a stern underlying hissing-growl and Optie knew better than to object any further. Swimming under the safety of her Daddy's flipper, she snuggled close in preparation for sleep.

"Night, Daddy!"

Again, she only received a grunt before the giant sharptooth resumed his slumber, his annoying charge eventually following suit as the night went on.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
All your art is amazing! The story of the latest picture is great and really cute how Optie tries to demonstrate the size of the creature. It's funny. Will this be your new fanfiction? I know your on a new story but I'm not so sure. :lol

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I honestly love the way Optie looks here! Love the way her tiny flippers are raised, love the angle of her face, she just looks adorable  :^.^:

About the rest of the picture:
I like the vast difference in size between Optie and Lio, it really emphasizes Optie's 'tininess'.  The shadows you've put under them are a nice touch.  They make it seem like the characters actually occupy their environment instead of just sticking on top of it.  
One thing though, I think Lio should be in the shadows more, with just a little bit of highlight on his back.  It would make him look like he's deeper underwater.  Unless they are in shallow water.  
How deep in the water are they? Seeing how bright they are it looks like they are close to the surface.  

I hope my crit is okay; I actually like this picture.  ;)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
This picture is really good. Like FreckledOne said, the shadows you've added really emphasize the presence of the characters, especially the darker set of shadows under Optie. The colour schemes and patterns on the characters are good too.

I really like the story between these two characters as well. Lio sounds (and looks ) pretty cool, a truly nasty bad guy :D If you do write a story with them, expect me to read it    :)

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey this is awesome art! I really like all the OC's you have here. They're all unique and beautifully drawn.
Did I mention I love the colors? Cuz i do, they are all so bright and eyecatching and amazing!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
All your art is amazing! The story of the latest picture is great and really cute how Optie tries to demonstrate the size of the creature. It's funny.

Yayz!! Optie is adorably funny!! Just the way she should be!! And thank you for commenting; I'm sooooo glad you find my work amazing!

I honestly love the way Optie looks here! Love the way her tiny flippers are raised, love the angle of her face, she just looks adorable

About the rest of the picture:
I like the vast difference in size between Optie and Lio, it really emphasizes Optie's 'tininess'. The shadows you've put under them are a nice touch. They make it seem like the characters actually occupy their environment instead of just sticking on top of it.
One thing though, I think Lio should be in the shadows more, with just a little bit of highlight on his back. It would make him look like he's deeper underwater. Unless they are in shallow water.
How deep in the water are they? Seeing how bright they are it looks like they are close to the surface.

I hope my crit is okay; I actually like this picture.

The cuteness of Optie is spreading!!  :D Anyway, the size was difficult when it came to inking. My sharpie pen did not like outlining Optie because of her 'tininess', but I'm glad that it came out okay!!

Phew!! I'm soooo glad the shadows came out good too; they're always the ones that gives me the most trouble!

They're very near the surface in this pic. Since they're both air-breathers, it makes sense for me that they would sleep near the surface so as not to go far for a breath. Though I am worried of the water color. It's darker than it would be during the day, but it doesn't exactly scream 'night-time' to me. But at the same time, I'm worried that making it any darker will make Lio difficult to see and the purpose of this drawing was to display the characters clearly. :unsure:

And no worries, any type of constructive criticism is good for me so long as it's fair and not just flames or hate-messages. :yes

This picture is really good. Like FreckledOne said, the shadows you've added really emphasize the presence of the characters, especially the darker set of shadows under Optie. The colour schemes and patterns on the characters are good too.

I really like the story between these two characters as well. Lio sounds (and looks ) pretty cool, a truly nasty bad guy

I STILL love how everyone's liking those shadows!! It's really lifting some of my worries about it!!

I love Lio (gotta love the villains) and I try to put everything that I love in a villain in him, so I'm glad that you find him cool. I also found it interesting that Lio's the kind of antagonist that isn't really against the protagonist, and in fact, the said-protagonist loves him and is unaware that he's even the bad guy. It's kinda complex now that I think about it.

Hey this is awesome art! I really like all the OC's you have here. They're all unique and beautifully drawn.
Did I mention I love the colors? Cuz i do, they are all so bright and eyecatching and amazing!

Thanks!! I try my best to make any of my OCs colorful if I'm not give a specific color reference. Teryx is my prime example of color freedom!

Will this be your new fanfiction? I know your on a new story but I'm not so sure.

If you do write a story with them, expect me to read it

Wow! :blink: I'm surprised of the eagerness to see this story as a fanfic!! Ya know what, I'mma go ahead and start writing it! It's always been an unrealized original story of mine, and turning it into a LBT fanfic will make it much more fun to finally make it a real story! Alright, keep an eye open for it, I is gonna start writing!! :DD

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Got another LBT pic. I noticed I was waaaaaay outta practice as it's been a while since I drew pictures of my OCs. I thought a group shot doodle would help me out! :D So here's a pic I like to call, "Typical Day".

WARNING, THE FOLLOWING PIC IS HIDEOUS AND POORLY DRAWN!!! CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! :p

"Hey, Club!" Tero yelled out as he approached the young Clubtail. With the midday hour, the group has paused to rest near the Big Water coast they were traveling along, everyone doing their own thing to pass the time. Clubbie was attempting to doze in the warmth of the Bright Circle, Teryx curled up on his head, already asleep with his sniffer tucked under a wing. Upon hearing the Domehead call for him, Clubbie automatically put on a smile as he looked towards his friend. Said 'friend' stopped beside him with a huuuuuge smirk on his face. "I got a project for you."

Clubbie tensed practically on cue, not really liking this kind of situation ever since Tero broke his leg when he refused a 'project'. Needless to say, Clubbie never said 'no' again... And it seemed that it wouldn't be any different today as he stood up from the nice, cozy sand. "What is it?" Who knows, maybe this time, it'll actually be fun!

"I saw a pack of Fast Biters nearby. I want you to cover yourself in muddy sand, go over to them, and start yelling how much of an idiot you are whilst doing stupid things." Tero told him, his grin growing all the more with each word.

Against his judgement, Clubbie hesitated. Normally, he'd be more than happy to do that, but with sharpteeth in the mix, he wasn't so sure... He was a bit afraid to voice that, but he gathered his courage to speak. "I dunno..."

Instantly, Tero's grin died to be replaced with a heavy glare, a growl coming from the older dinosaur's throat. Knowing pain was imminent, Clubbie quickly piped up, hoping to appease Tero before something bad happened.

"I mean, I'll do the mud-covering and the 'yelling-how-stupid-I-am' part, but the Fast Biter part doesn't sound like a good idea."

"Like you know what a good idea sounds like," Tero grunted before trying to 'reassure' the Clubtail. "Besides, seeing how thick you are, I don't think they can hurt you. In fact, those Tree Sweets and your stink should keep them at bay long enough for me to enjoy the show."

There was a moment of silence as Clubbie tried to consider his options. The project sounded like great fun, but not with Fast Biters! Sharpteeth of any kind was an automatic NO GO!!! Maybe...

"No, I think I'll pass..." Clubbie responded almost in a whisper, cringing as the Domehead began to snarl at him. Oh no, here comes another broken limb...

Within an instant, Tero lunged out to strangle the younger dinosaur and under pure reflex, Clubbie recoiled backwards, ducking onto the ground. That saved him at least, but...

Teryx's eyes bugged open as Tero's claws inadvertently closed around his throat instead. He had no idea what the heck was going on, but that wasn't important! Getting free was, and he struggled, gasping for breath without success. Tero never intended Teryx to be the one caught, but he sure as heck wasn't going to complain! Finally, he can put the arrogant little Flyer in his place! Grinning once more, he kept his grip tight, not going to let go until he felt pay-back has been met sufficently!

Seeing their friend in trouble (AGAIN!!), Tiki and Cookie, who has been collecting shells along the shore, dropped what they were doing and hurried to rescue the little feathery bundle. Arriving first, Tiki grabbed Tero's arm and attempted to pull, the sand not really giving her leverage as she felt her elongated ankled touch the ground.

"Tero! Stop it!" she demanded.

"In a minute; lemme have my fun!" Tero told her without budging an inch. Cookie arrived at the scene and grabbed hold of Teryx, attempting to yank him out of Tero's grip. At first, Tero showed no signs of backing down before he suddenly chuckled and let go of his victim just as Cookie gave another yank, causing the Swimmer to stumble backwards and land on her tail. But Teryx was safe even as he tried to replenish his oxygen supply. Tero was having himself a good laugh at the whole thing, Tiki rolling her eyes.

Meanwhile, Clubbie stayed where he was, helpless to assist his feathered friend. Only one of two thoughts went through the Clubtail's mind throughout the entire scene: 'Poor Teryx' and 'That could've been me...' But now that everything was settled again, he couldn't help but wonder one other thing...

"So does that mean I still have to do it?" Clubbie asked the Domehead, who stopped laughing and only responded by picking up some wet, muddy sand and squishing it onto Clubbie's face. The answer was clear and Clubbie went about rolling about to coat himself before following Tero to where he found those Fast Biters.

Moral: Never say 'no' to Tero! You WILL regret it, even if you had nothing to do with it!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So happy to see new art in this thread. :D Lemme review each of these in turn…

First new picture:

Love Lio and Optie. I agree with you; the Walking With Dinosaurs colors look really good on them. These days the black and white Liopleurodon pattern feels rather clichÈd because practically every artist since then has illustrated it that way, but I still think it looks good in this picture. :yes

That's a really interesting relationship you came up with for those two. To me, it actually seems like the kind of one-off symbiosis that you could actually find in nature, like those cases of lionesses adopting baby antelope, or the little fish that follow sharks and other predators for protection and food scraps. Though I feel bad for Optie if she ever finds a friend and brings them home to meet her "Daddy", and if and when she eventually comes to realize that Lio isn't her father and only values her as bait. :cry

I don't know much about shading or shadowing, but what you've done here looks pretty nice to me, even if it is simplistic. I probably wouldn't even have bothered trying if I had been the one drawing this.

Whoa, another freaky coincidence. :blink: When I first saw Walking With Dinosaurs, I became obsessed with the marine reptiles episode, too, and wrote and illustrated a story (called "Island Brouhaha" :p) based on it. And one of the characters I created was…a Liopleurodon named Lio. :wow Besides the name and design, he wasn't much like your Lio; he was a considerably friendlier guy. The characters in my story found him beached after a storm, just like the Liopleurodon at the end of the WWD episode (I was such a copycat back then :rolleyes:); one of them, a Tyrannosaurus, chased away the Eustreptospondylus that were about to scavenge him, and then they pulled him back into the water. Afterwards, another character (a walrus) gave him an Aspirin; Lio thanked them, gave them a tour of the nearby islands, and joined them on their trip across the sea, protecting them from other giant marine predators. (A final scene at the end of the story showed the three Eustreptospondylus whom the T. rex had scared off returning to the beach where Lio had been stranded, finding him gone, and thinking, "Darn, that big meat-eater ate him.") …Yes, my stories back then were EXTREMELY strange. :lol :p :oops

2nd new picture:

Hideous and poorly drawn? Seriously? :huh: Okay, I'll agree that the background isn't that great, but at least you actually tried to draw one. I'm too lazy to even bother with backgrounds :rolleyes (Also I hate wasting my colored pencils filling in all that negative space.) Regardless of background, your characters are the best part of any picture you draw, and they look fantastic. All of the expressions and body postures are excellent; you can pretty much tell what's on all of the characters minds from them alone. I especially love how you drew Tiki; her proportions and details are near perfect, and her straining and desperation to loosen Tero's hold on Teryx are so evident in her pose and face. Tero's head and facial expression are also exceptionally well done; it's disturbingly clear how much he's enjoying asphyxiating an Archaeopteryx (Sorry, couldn't resist the chance to alliterate those particular words. :lol)

I have to say, I sputtered with laugher the first moment I saw Teryx being strangled by Tero. :lol Of course I also feel sorry for the poor guy. Yeesh, Tero's insane. :o I feel I must quote Sid from the latest Ice Age movie in regards to Tero here: "Two words: 'anger management.'" :rolleyes (Remind me and Guido to keep out of grabbing range when we meet him in the RP.)

I couldn't help but think "C'mon, Clubbie! Knock Tero with your tail or something and save Teryx! Of all of your friends, you're the one he can do the least damage to!" Still, I suppose having had his leg broken by Tero in the past hasn't done much for his inclination to be a hero. Thank goodness for Tiki and Cookie.

By the way, is it me, or do you seem to like writing extremely rude domehead characters? :p

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
So happy to see new art in this thread.

Me too!! I'm hoping to make it a bit more active, perhaps by drawing out scenes from my stories or something *shrugs*

Love Lio and Optie. I agree with you; the Walking With Dinosaurs colors look really good on them. These days the black and white Liopleurodon pattern feels rather clichÈd because practically every artist since then has illustrated it that way, but I still think it looks good in this picture.

Yeah, I have noticed a ton of black and white Liopleurodon in the dino books I have! I knew it was more than a coincidence! :p Black and white is a good color either way; it reminds me of orcas!

That's a really interesting relationship you came up with for those two. To me, it actually seems like the kind of one-off symbiosis that you could actually find in nature, like those cases of lionesses adopting baby antelope, or the little fish that follow sharks and other predators for protection and food scraps. Though I feel bad for Optie if she ever finds a friend and brings them home to meet her "Daddy", and if and when she eventually comes to realize that Lio isn't her father and only values her as bait.

The relationship was something I couldn't help; I've always had a special interest in cross- species interactions, especially when a predator 'adopts' a prey species (I remember that lioness-adopting-an-antelope story; it was so sad the little one didn't make it :cry ). And I love how insightful you are! You already brought up a couple of the major points in my frequent daydreams of them! I'll probably be writing a story about it soon, so if your interested, you can check it out when I get to it! :DD

Whoa, another freaky coincidence.  When I first saw Walking With Dinosaurs, I became obsessed with the marine reptiles episode, too, and wrote and illustrated a story (called "Island Brouhaha" ) based on it. And one of the characters I created was…a Liopleurodon named Lio.  Besides the name and design, he wasn't much like your Lio; he was a considerably friendlier guy. The characters in my story found him beached after a storm, just like the Liopleurodon at the end of the WWD episode (I was such a copycat back then ); one of them, a Tyrannosaurus, chased away the Eustreptospondylus that were about to scavenge him, and then they pulled him back into the water. Afterwards, another character (a walrus) gave him an Aspirin; Lio thanked them, gave them a tour of the nearby islands, and joined them on their trip across the sea, protecting them from other giant marine predators. (A final scene at the end of the story showed the three Eustreptospondylus whom the T. rex had scared off returning to the beach where Lio had been stranded, finding him gone, and thinking, "Darn, that big meat-eater ate him.") …Yes, my stories back then were EXTREMELY strange.

*cracks up, especially on the Island Brouhaha part!!!* I guess Lio is very common name for liopleurodon :lol Certainly the easiest to come up with! A walrus with asprin!!! That is pure epic pricelessness!! I think I wanna draw that!! And those poor Eustreptospondylus; I can imagine the looks on their faces when they have that thought!! That story sounds hilariously awesome!! I'm still dying of laughter here!

Hideous and poorly drawn? Seriously?  Okay, I'll agree that the background isn't that great, but at least you actually tried to draw one. I'm too lazy to even bother with backgrounds  (Also I hate wasting my colored pencils filling in all that negative space.) Regardless of background, your characters are the best part of any picture you draw, and they look fantastic. All of the expressions and body postures are excellent; you can pretty much tell what's on all of the characters minds from them alone. I especially love how you drew Tiki; her proportions and details are near perfect, and her straining and desperation to loosen Tero's hold on Teryx are so evident in her pose and face. Tero's head and facial expression are also exceptionally well done; it's disturbingly clear how much he's enjoying asphyxiating an Archaeopteryx (Sorry, couldn't resist the chance to alliterate those particular words. )

With it being such a long time since I drew any of them, I guess my self-confidence wasn't too high :unsure: , but I'm sooooooooooo GLAD that you like them! Yes, ignore the background completely; most of it was done at the last second!

Yes, Tiki was drawn well!! I was wondering how to get her pose right and I had to get rid of some eraser marks that decided to mock me when I drew her! And I don't blame you for the alliteration; it was practically given to you!! I'm especially trying to work on my Domehead pics, since I'm planning on making an AMV for my Guilty Until Proven Innocent story and for that, I have to draw the Domehead trio a LOT! So hearing I got something, anything, right on Tero is giving me a much needed boost in confidence!

I have to say, I sputtered with laugher the first moment I saw Teryx being strangled by Tero.  Of course I also feel sorry for the poor guy. Yeesh, Tero's insane.  I feel I must quote Sid from the latest Ice Age movie in regards to Tero here: "Two words: 'anger management.'"  (Remind me and Guido to keep out of grabbing range when we meet him in the RP.)

I had TONS of fun with Teryx, especially his face and eyeball!! :lol I think he was the highlight on why I drew this pic in the first place; I just couldn't get it out of my mind!

It's weird how you said Tero's insane, because as soon as Teryx caught enough breath and saw Tero return with Clubbie, he said exactly that...whilst also yelling "WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?!?!" Yeah, anger management would do Tero good, although I have a feeling that there will be a great deal of yelling and ramming done in the process.  :D  And no worries, I'll keep that reminder handy....now what was I supposed to remind you of again? It's on the tip of my tongue :p

I couldn't help but think "C'mon, Clubbie! Knock Tero with your tail or something and save Teryx! Of all of your friends, you're the one he can do the least damage to!" Still, I suppose having had his leg broken by Tero in the past hasn't done much for his inclination to be a hero. Thank goodness for Tiki and Cookie.

That is very true. Clubbie's more than capable of fighting back but he's got two things against him: 1) Like you said, he's not keen on hitting someone who's previously broken him before; he knows it'll be a horrible idea anyway. 2) He's not too much of a confrontational dinosaur, he doesn't have the real confidence needed to pick a fight with anyone. He'd rather just do his weird little things!

By the way, is it me, or do you seem to like writing extremely rude domehead characters?

Yes.....yes, I do :lol  :lol  :lol  Even before I started writing Guilty Until Proven Innocent, I've always tended to make Pachycephalosaurus a very aggressive dinosaur! Although Tero ain't nearly as....well...horrible as Cepher, Pacia, and Rus. But I do have a REAL Stygimoloch OC (not the one that eventually became Tero; that OC has long since been removed from history :DD ) that differs from my usual trend. Being much smaller than her cousins, Stygia is much more mild-mannered and actually pretty frightened of the larger Pachys. It might have something to do with an imagined (in no way cannon with any of my stories....yet :p ) encounter with the before-mentioned trio (whom is so speciest, that they'll attack Domeheads of a different kind :blink: !). I outta draw her eventually!

Anyway, it's been so great getting reviews from you again! You've definitely made my day, buddy! *huggles!!*

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Aug 20 2012 on  09:35 PM
So happy to see new art in this thread.
Me too!! I'm hoping to make it a bit more active, perhaps by drawing out scenes from my stories or something *shrugs*
That's great. Always love to see your artwork. :DD

The relationship was something I couldn't help; I've always had a special interest in cross- species interactions, especially when a predator 'adopts' a prey species (I remember that lioness-adopting-an-antelope story; it was so sad the little one didn't make it :cry ). And I love how insightful you are! You already brought up a couple of the major points in my frequent daydreams of them! I'll probably be writing a story about it soon, so if your interested, you can check it out when I get to it! :DD
Interactions between different species are fascinating to me as well, both "normal" symbiotic relationships, and the more unusual cases where two or more individuals of separate species form some kind of bond with one another. Nearly every story I've ever come up with has had interspecies friendships of one kind or another.

*cracks up, especially on the Island Brouhaha part!!!* I guess Lio is very common name for liopleurodon :lol Certainly the easiest to come up with! A walrus with asprin!!! That is pure epic pricelessness!! I think I wanna draw that!! And those poor Eustreptospondylus; I can imagine the looks on their faces when they have that thought!! That story sounds hilariously awesome!! I'm still dying of laughter here!
Did I mention the story was also fully illustrated? All of my stories back then were done entirely in a program called Clarisworks (it doesn't exist anymore, which is sadly probably the reason I stopped creating art on the computer). The illustrations weren't very good; I just had clip art of each of the characters in a few different poses, which I would just paste into each picture (sometimes adding a few modifications), with a background that was usually not that much more elaborate than that of your latest drawing above. The stories themselves weren't much better. I have a hard time even looking at them anymore without feeling embarrassed for creating them. :oops Nonetheless, some of the jokes and concepts I came up for them I am still fond of, and the stories I am currently working on (read: think about from time to time :rolleyes) are fundamentally still set in a massively revamped version of the same universe.

So, yes, there already exists an illustration of an enormously fat, goofy-looking walrus on a boat offering a slightly oversized orange pain relief tablet to a colossal, friendly pliosaur. But you can recreate it if you like. :p

And you thought the "Island Brouhaha" title was that funny? Well, it is one of those things I came up with for my old stories that I'm still proud of. :lol

Yes, Tiki was drawn well!! I was wondering how to get her pose right and I had to get rid of some eraser marks that decided to mock me when I drew her! And I don't blame you for the alliteration; it was practically given to you!! I'm especially trying to work on my Domehead pics, since I'm planning on making an AMV for my Guilty Until Proven Innocent story and for that, I have to draw the Domehead trio a LOT! So hearing I got something, anything, right on Tero is giving me a much needed boost in confidence!
I might add that Tero's head and neck look a tiny bit small for the rest of his body, and his right knee and ankle joints might be bent a little too sharply, but other than that his anatomy looks almost as good as Tiki's, and I would say he's the second best drawn character in the picture.

I had TONS of fun with Teryx, especially his face and eyeball!! :lol I think he was the highlight on why I drew this pic in the first place; I just couldn't get it out of my mind!
For some reason I couldn't think of many comments for Teryx, but I definitely agree that his expression is hysterical. :lol

It's weird how you said Tero's insane, because as soon as Teryx caught enough breath and saw Tero return with Clubbie, he said exactly that...whilst also yelling "WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?!?!" Yeah, anger management would do Tero good, although I have a feeling that there will be a great deal of yelling and ramming done in the process.  :D
Someone needs to get Tero a punching bag (a non-biological one, I mean). :p

Yes.....yes, I do :lol  :lol  :lol  Even before I started writing Guilty Until Proven Innocent, I've always tended to make Pachycephalosaurus a very aggressive dinosaur! Although Tero ain't nearly as....well...horrible as Cepher, Pacia, and Rus. But I do have a REAL Stygimoloch OC (not the one that eventually became Tero; that OC has long since been removed from history :DD ) that differs from my usual trend. Being much smaller than her cousins, Stygia is much more mild-mannered and actually pretty frightened of the larger Pachys. It might have something to do with an imagined (in no way cannon with any of my stories....yet :p ) encounter with the before-mentioned trio (whom is so speciest, that they'll attack Domeheads of a different kind :blink: !). I outta draw her eventually!
I'd like to see a picture of Stygia. For as long as I've known about it, Stygimoloch has been my favorite pachycephalosaur.

Anyway, it's been so great getting reviews from you again! You've definitely made my day, buddy! *huggles!!*
You're very welcome. It's been great getting chances to review your work again! :^.^: *huggles back*

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Nearly every story I've ever come up with has had interspecies friendships of one kind or another.

Hey, me too!! I just LOOOOOOVE it whenever we find more in common! If you're not my clone, then you must be my long lost twin brother of something!!! :DD

Did I mention the story was also fully illustrated? All of my stories back then were done entirely in a program called Clarisworks (it doesn't exist anymore, which is sadly probably the reason I stopped creating art on the computer). The illustrations weren't very good; I just had clip art of each of the characters in a few different poses, which I would just paste into each picture (sometimes adding a few modifications), with a background that was usually not that much more elaborate than that of your latest drawing above. The stories themselves weren't much better. I have a hard time even looking at them anymore without feeling embarrassed for creating them. Nonetheless, some of the jokes and concepts I came up for them I am still fond of, and the stories I am currently working on (read: think about from time to time ) are fundamentally still set in a massively revamped version of the same universe.

So, yes, there already exists an illustration of an enormously fat, goofy-looking walrus on a boat offering a slightly oversized orange pain relief tablet to a colossal, friendly pliosaur. But you can recreate it if you like.

And you thought the "Island Brouhaha" title was that funny? Well, it is one of those things I came up with for my old stories that I'm still proud of.

You have it illustrated...... SHOW IT TO ME!!!!! I WANTZ TO SEE IT!!!

I must recreate it! It calls to me!!! If you do show me the illustrations, I want to see that one first and foremost!! *spazzes out and dies again* You killed me, Pangy. Hang your head in shame! :lol

I might add that Tero's head and neck look a tiny bit small for the rest of his body, and his right knee and ankle joints might be bent a little too sharply, but other than that his anatomy looks almost as good as Tiki's, and I would say he's the second best drawn character in the picture.

Okay, I'll certainly take that to heart when I start drawing for the AMV! Squeeeee! I'm soooo excited and spazzy today!

Someone needs to get Tero a punching bag (a non-biological one, I mean).

Stop giving me drawing ideas!! My brain can't handle the awesomeness! :D

I'd like to see a picture of Stygia. For as long as I've known about it, Stygimoloch has been my favorite pachycephalosaur.

Here ya go!

And hey! Stygi's are my second favorite pachycephalosaurs, after the Pachycephalosaurus itself. :p Great to know we share another interest!!

And yeah, this is Stygia! She is a young Stygimoloch (possibly called a Spikey Domehead in the LBT world), separated from her herd. In her efforts to find companionship, she followed the trail of a familiar trio of Pachycephalosaurus, figuring that if she can't find a herd of her own kind, she'll settle for their closest relatives. Unfortunately, Cepher, Pacia, and Rus aren't particularly fond of the appearance of a different species attempting to join them and immediately tries to kill her. Stygia survives the encounter by running into a female Gastonia named Toni (her kind'll probably be called a Spikey Clubtail, despite the absence of a club....as far as I know anyway :unsure: ), but she's now terrified of her larger cousins. She befriends Toni and together they go adventuring!

She and Toni do run into my four of my five other OCs (Tiki, Teryx, Cookie, and Clubbie) and they were about to join up with them when Tero came on the scene. Although my Pachycephalosaurus OC did absolutely nothing to intentionally frighten her (he was confused, if anything), Stygia was so shaken by his mere presence, she left entirely.

Seems her Gastonia buddy will remain her only companion for a long time....

As mentioned before, she's much different in temperment than my usual aggressive, arrogant, and species-ist Domehead characters. She's a sweetheart and a very friendly dinosaur. And although she was a bit reluctant at first to make friends with another species (as her mother taught her), her species-ism was very easy to overcome entirely (as oppose to the difficulty Tero's having and the impossibility of the Domehead trio).

Anyway, I drew and outlined it in less than 15 minutes (it was done during a break at work). It was colored on Photoshop, as usual, and those colors and design is based off Jurassic Park: Warpath. I LOOOOVE the coloration they made for Stygimoloch, now I can hardly imagine a Stygi of a different color!

I hope you like it!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Aug 26 2012 on  10:11 AM
Nearly every story I've ever come up with has had interspecies friendships of one kind or another
Hey, me too!! I just LOOOOOOVE it whenever we find more in common! If you're not my clone, then you must be my long lost twin brother of something!!! :DD
The bizarre thing is that I've seen your photos in the "Show us a picture of yourself" thread, and can tell you that we look nothing alike. :lol Is there a mental equivalent of convergent evolution? Maybe that's it. :p

You have it illustrated...... SHOW IT TO ME!!!!! I WANTZ TO SEE IT!!!

I must recreate it! It calls to me!!! If you do show me the illustrations, I want to see that one first and foremost!!
Hoo boy…you want to see my old shame? What I have I gotten myself into? :rolleyes I suppose I could show you the pictures (some of them, at least), but I think I'm too embarrassed to share the text :oops (If it's okay with you, I'll just describe what's going on in each picture, and tell you an attenuated version of the story). When I get the chance, I'll see about scanning the pages to my computer so I can e-mail them to you. I already have several other pictures relating to our current e-mail conversation lined up to show you, so once we've gone over them, I'll show you the story pictures. Does that sound okay?

As for the specific picture of the Liopleurodon and the walrus with the Aspirin, I'm actually rather curious to see your interpretation of the scene before I show you the original illustration. If you absolutely can't wait to see it, though, I can send it to you in my next e-mail.

Stop giving me drawing ideas!! My brain can't handle the awesomeness! :D
You ought to make a list. I started doing that recently; I have a special notepad that I keep with my art supplies (plus a few word documents on my computer) where I write down my ideas for pictures and characters. It's very helpful, especially since I come up with new ideas far faster than I can draw them.

Stygia survives the encounter by running into a female Gastonia named Toni (her kind'll probably be called a Spikey Clubtail, despite the absence of a club....as far as I know anyway :unsure: ), but she's now terrified of her larger cousins. She befriends Toni and together they go adventuring!
I've checked my sources, and I'm afraid it turns out that Gastonia's tail didn't have a club, just a lot of sharp-edged plates. (For a time in the '90s it was believed that polacanthids did have small tail clubsóhence the knob-tailed Gastonia in Raptor Redóbut the fossil that supposedly evidenced this turned out to be just a chunk of tail vertebrae, ossified tendons, and armor plates that had been misidentified as a club.) If you want to find a more accurate species title…Darkhououmon came up with "sharptail" for Gastonia in one of her fanfics; you could probably use that (you can double-check with her to be sure it's okay if you like). Otherwise, someone came up with "shieldback" for Nodosaurus; perhaps Gastonia could be a "spiky shieldback"? (For the record, I personally like "sharptail" better.)

She and Toni do run into my four of my five other OCs (Tiki, Teryx, Cookie, and Clubbie) and they were about to join up with them when Tero came on the scene. Although my Pachycephalosaurus OC did absolutely nothing to intentionally frighten her (he was confused, if anything), Stygia was so shaken by his mere presence, she left entirely.

Seems her Gastonia buddy will remain her only companion for a long time....
That's a real shame. :( I wanna give Stygia a hug!

Anyway, I drew and outlined it in less than 15 minutes (it was done during a break at work). It was colored on Photoshop, as usual, and those colors and design is based off Jurassic Park: Warpath. I LOOOOVE the coloration they made for Stygimoloch, now I can hardly imagine a Stygi of a different color!

I hope you like it!
Holy moley, you're a fast artist! :blink: So basically, you drew this just because I said I wanted to see a picture of Stygia. That's so nice of you! Thanks a ton! :DD

The pose is a little human-like, but besides that she looks good! The feet and hands are terrifically drawn (even if the left foot looks a little like the toes are webbed or something), and her head is soooo spiky! :smile (Yikes, I'm starting to talk like you, Sparky. :blink: I think you're contagious.)

I was going to say that I thought you gave her an interesting pattern. I like dinosaurs with bands and stripy patterns. :smile Somehow her colors remind me a little of a pronghorn antelope.

By the way, have you heard the theory that Stygimoloch (along with its relative Dracorex) is actually a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus? As attached as I am to the idea of Stygimoloch as its own dinosaur, the arguments I've heard are fairly convincing. The idea is that young pachies started out with flat, spiky heads (the Dracorex stage); then they grew a tall, narrow dome and longer spikes (the Stygimoloch stage); finally the dome widened and enlarged while the spikes shrank (the adult Pachycephalosaurus stage). Apparently this is supported by a bone histology study that suggests the spikes of Stygimoloch were in the process of being resorbed, and the fact that all three species lived in the same time and place, with only juvenile specimens known for Dracorex and Stygimoloch, and only adult specimens known for Pachycephalosaurus. However, from what I've heard, not many fossils of any of these three dinosaurs have been found, so I'm wondering whether that's enough of a sample size to support that last argument. There's also some evidence that the type specimen of Dracorex was already close to adulthood. At this point, I'm really not sure what to believe. :unsure: :wacko

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I finished another pic last night and was too tired to post it up here!! Pangy, you should be having fun with this one!

I drew the Flyer trio again, but in a different (a little more realistic) style! Don't mind the scaling, I had little information on it (just lengths on wings span, and my general knowledge of who's bigger than whom).

Hehe, even in a different form, Pterano's still standing tall in his egotistical pride!! Sierra's snapping at him for something (though whether that snapping involves teeth or words is open to interpretation!). And Rinkus is like 'Not again....'

I drew this with reference from an old dinosaur book of mine and I'm not too sure if I'm pleased with this or not... :unsure:

The bizarre thing is that I've seen your photos in the "Show us a picture of yourself" thread, and can tell you that we look nothing alike.  Is there a mental equivalent of convergent evolution? Maybe that's it.

Makes sense to me!! :D

Hoo boy…you want to see my old shame? What I have I gotten myself into?  I suppose I could show you the pictures (some of them, at least), but I think I'm too embarrassed to share the text  (If it's okay with you, I'll just describe what's going on in each picture, and tell you an attenuated version of the story). When I get the chance, I'll see about scanning the pages to my computer so I can e-mail them to you. I already have several other pictures relating to our current e-mail conversation lined up to show you, so once we've gone over them, I'll show you the story pictures. Does that sound okay?

As for the specific picture of the Liopleurodon and the walrus with the Aspirin, I'm actually rather curious to see your interpretation of the scene before I show you the original illustration. If you absolutely can't wait to see it, though, I can send it to you in my next e-mail.

Awwww, no need to be ashamed to show your piccys! I know for a fact that I'm gonna love them. If it makes ya feel better, I have tons of crappy works myself, so I can't judge yours! But yeah, just send me the stuff your comfortable with, I'll be happy either way! :DD

Ooooooo!! I sense a comparison experiment!! Okay; I'll finish my pic first and then we can see what we both got!! Squeeee! This is gonna be fun!

You ought to make a list. I started doing that recently; I have a special notepad that I keep with my art supplies (plus a few word documents on my computer) where I write down my ideas for pictures and characters. It's very helpful, especially since I come up with new ideas far faster than I can draw them.

Hey, that's a great idea!! *starts making a list ten-miles long!!*

I've checked my sources, and I'm afraid it turns out that Gastonia's tail didn't have a club, just a lot of sharp-edged plates. (For a time in the '90s it was believed that polacanthids did have small tail clubsóhence the knob-tailed Gastonia in Raptor Redóbut the fossil that supposedly evidenced this turned out to be just a chunk of tail vertebrae, ossified tendons, and armor plates that had been misidentified as a club.) If you want to find a more accurate species title…Darkhououmon came up with "sharptail" for Gastonia in one of her fanfics; you could probably use that (you can double-check with her to be sure it's okay if you like). Otherwise, someone came up with "shieldback" for Nodosaurus; perhaps Gastonia could be a "spiky shieldback"? (For the record, I personally like "sharptail" better.)

I knew it!! No clubtail for you, Toni! It's a good thing I followed my instincts and drew her without the club! Thanks for the info, Pangy! You saved me a lot of anxiety! I like the name 'sharptail' better too! Once I get the chance, I'mma ask DH about it!

That's a real shame.  I wanna give Stygia a hug!

Yes, she definitely needs a hug. Though she always tries her best to look and act happy, sometimes, it's just a guise to hide how sad and broken she is on the inside. Toni will be sure to (very carefully!) transfer that hug from you to Stygia!

Holy moley, you're a fast artist!  So basically, you drew this just because I said I wanted to see a picture of Stygia. That's so nice of you! Thanks a ton!

The pose is a little human-like, but besides that she looks good! The feet and hands are terrifically drawn (even if the left foot looks a little like the toes are webbed or something), and her head is soooo spiky!  (Yikes, I'm starting to talk like you, Sparky.  I think you're contagious.)

I was going to say that I thought you gave her an interesting pattern. I like dinosaurs with bands and stripy patterns.  Somehow her colors remind me a little of a pronghorn antelope.

Yes, this was a very fast piece of work and I'm surprised it came out good enough to be praised by you! And yeah, I made it just for you!! I had tons of fun, especially with the coloration. And I never thought of the pronghorned antelope coloration! Cool!! Does it help that the sound Stygi makes in the game is that high-pitched, eery sound of an elk call?

Awwwww, I see my spazziness is rubbing off on you.... Yayz!! Soon, spazziness will take over the world and I shall rule as Queen of the Donuts! :lol

Oh! And I heard of that theory a lot too! And I too am uncertain what to think. A part of me finds it a bit difficult that the skull designs can change so drastically through an animals life, but another part knows that it could happen. For now though, until hard evidence proves otherwise (finding a baby Pachy, for instance), I'm gonna believe they're different species!

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I like the evil smirk on Tero's face in that group picture, and if you ever want to redo it I think that you should restage the picture so his face is the focal point  :angel  

Stygia is cute, but her right thigh is a little short.  That shade of orangey-yellow is a favorite of mine! It's also neat to see a more realistic flyer trio.  

Now I want to see that walrus and aspirin picture too; my curiosity has been piqued :blink:

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Aug 27 2012 on  08:37 AM
I drew the Flyer trio again, but in a different (a little more realistic) style! Don't mind the scaling, I had little information on it (just lengths on wings span, and my general knowledge of who's bigger than whom).

Hehe, even in a different form, Pterano's still standing tall in his egotistical pride!! Sierra's snapping at him for something (though whether that snapping involves teeth or words is open to interpretation!). And Rinkus is like 'Not again....'

I drew this with reference from an old dinosaur book of mine and I'm not too sure if I'm pleased with this or not... :unsure:
Oh, I love that new picture! Incidentally, I saw it on your DA account this morning, and thought, “Oh, I hope she posts that on the GOF; I want to review it and tell her how good it looks!” :smile

Honestly, I really love this picture. I immediately recognized that it showed the flyer trio drawn in a more realistic fashion (though it probably helps that I’m such a ptero-nut :p). They look great, and their expressions and personalities carry over really well. I think this also demonstrates why most flyers in LBT are around the same size; I doubt that as many people would have thought of Sierra and Rinkus as quite so threatening if they had been that much smaller than Pterano. This is especially true of Rinkus; look at him, he’s so cute! :lol Even so, if these characters had appeared this way in a more realistic version of LBT, I think Sierra would be a force to be reckoned with. Look at those teeth. (Honestly I think the real-life Cearadactylus was even scarier looking than Sierra, even if those jaws were most likely used on fish.) Come to think of it, considering real pterosaurs couldn’t hold things with their feet, I don’t think poor Ducky could have survived being picked up by anyone besides Pterano. :blink: On a more humorous note, I imagine that Rinkus and Pterano’s “why are you hitting me?” scene would have been considerably more painful for the former with that size difference. :lol

Just out of curiosity, what’s the name, author, and publication date of that pterosaur book you used as a reference? I’m wondering just how old it is. My impression of this picture is that you did a pretty good job drawing these three accurately. They’re all perching quadrupedally, as they should be (it might not be apparent to some people, but I can tell that that’s Pterano’s front leg we can see); the joints and proportions of their wings appear accurate; they have a propatagium (membrane in front of the wing) supported by a pteroid (that little spar on the wrist); on Rinkus, at least, we can see that his wing membrane attaches to his hind legs, as the fossil evidence suggests; andókudos to youóyou made all three of them fuzzy! :D For anyone reading this post who may not be familiar with this fact, it’s been well documented from fossil impressions that pterosaurs were covered in hair-like filaments (technically known as pycnofibers), not scales.

I’m sure you’d appreciate some more pterosaur anatomy tips, so here you go: Sierra’s nostril should be at the very front of that triangular “window” in his snout. A general rule of thumb with animals is that the fleshy nostril opening is (#1) much smaller than the naris, or bony nostril opening, and (#2) as far forward in said bony nostril opening as possible. I also think there should probably be more of his right wing membrane visible, and based on what can be seen of his right arm behind his body, it looks like it is bent very strangely. I don’t blame you, though; folded pterosaur wings are hard to draw!

Speaking of pterosaur wings, here’s a tip I learned fairly recently about accurately drawing them that I thought I’d pass on to you: pterosaur wings are not pointed. Apparently wings that end in a sharp point cause stalling in flight and are not aerodynamically feasible. Look at any airfoilóa bird’s flight feather, an insect wing, an airplane wing, a hang glideróand you’ll see that it doesn’t taper to a perfect point (This is even true of bat wings; it’s a little more subtle, but look at a picture of a bat in flight with wings outstretched and you’ll see what I mean). Here’s
Here’s a good reference for what pterosaur wingtips look like (which also shows various theories on where the wing membrane might have attached to the leg; I personally subscribe to the ankle attachment model), from the Anatomy page of the very useful pterosaur information site Pterosaur.net.

For the record, I still draw a lot of pointy-winged critters when realism isn’t that relevant, :p or when I’m emulating a certain art style.

Awwww, no need to be ashamed to show your piccys! I know for a fact that I'm gonna love them. If it makes ya feel better, I have tons of crappy works myself, so I can't judge yours! But yeah, just send me the stuff your comfortable with, I'll be happy either way! :DD
Thanks for your understanding. You’re so nice. *hugs*

Ooooooo!! I sense a comparison experiment!! Okay; I'll finish my pic first and then we can see what we both got!! Squeeee! This is gonna be fun!
Alrighty then, that's what we'll do! :D

Hey, that's a great idea!! *starts making a list ten-miles long!!*
Fantastic! What’ve you got so far that I’ve helped you come up with? The walrus giving the Liopleurodon an Aspirin…Slasher the deathgleaner tangled in wind chimes…c’mon, I know there’s more!

I knew it!! No clubtail for you, Toni! It's a good thing I followed my instincts and drew her without the club! Thanks for the info, Pangy! You saved me a lot of anxiety! I like the name 'sharptail' better too! Once I get the chance, I'mma ask DH about it!
Hold on, you have a picture of Toni, too? I'd like to see it! :D

Yes, this was a very fast piece of work and I'm surprised it came out good enough to be praised by you! And yeah, I made it just for you!! I had tons of fun, especially with the coloration. And I never thought of the pronghorned antelope coloration! Cool!! Does it help that the sound Stygi makes in the game is that high-pitched, eery sound of an elk call?
Thanks again. :DD I’m glad you had fun drawing it. I’m not sure what sounds pronghorn make, but now that I think about it, elk calls would actually work pretty well for a pachycephalosaur. I know exactly the sound you’re talking about; in my opinion, it’s one of the coolest-sounding animal calls. :smile

Having brought up the subject of elk, I can’t resist mentioning this: do you know that the American elk is also called the wapiti (pronounced “WOP-ih-TEE”)? I just love that word. :lol

Quote from: FreckledOne,Aug 27 2012 on  07:22 PM
Now I want to see that walrus and aspirin picture too; my curiosity has been piqued :blink:
Oh dear, more interest in the walrus picture? What have I done? Have I started a new meme: the pillrus? (“I has an Aspirin…” :P:)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh, I love that new picture! Incidentally, I saw it on your DA account this morning, and thought, “Oh, I hope she posts that on the GOF; I want to review it and tell her how good it looks!”

Awwwwwww!! Thank you for your enthusiasm!! I wanted to submit it the same time as DA, but I was so sleepy!! :D Most of the time, the LBT fanart I put on DA I'll also put here! But DA goes first, so you can sometimes get a preview!

I think this also demonstrates why most flyers in LBT are around the same size; I doubt that as many people would have thought of Sierra and Rinkus as quite so threatening if they had been that much smaller than Pterano. This is especially true of Rinkus; look at him, he’s so cute! Even so, if these characters had appeared this way in a more realistic version of LBT, I think Sierra would be a force to be reckoned with. Look at those teeth. (Honestly I think the real-life Cearadactylus was even scarier looking than Sierra, even if those jaws were most likely used on fish.) Come to think of it, considering real pterosaurs couldn’t hold things with their feet, I don’t think poor Ducky could have survived being picked up by anyone besides Pterano. On a more humorous note, I imagine that Rinkus and Pterano’s “why are you hitting me?” scene would have been considerably more painful for the former with that size difference.

:lol  :lol  :lol Rinkus is adorable, ain't he? Oooooo, maybe that could work if he was in this style in the movie! He'd look so cute and small and innocent that nobody would suspect him of being a nasty and sly Flyer! Can't say the same of Sierra; you're right about those teeth, he has the same untrusting appearance as his movie self.....no matter how fuzzy he is!  :DD And that image of tiny Rinkus being hit by giant Pterano got this strange combo of a laugh and a cringe from me!! Poor little Rinkus!!

Just out of curiosity, what’s the name, author, and publication date of that pterosaur book you used as a reference?

The book is called Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Creatures (that's not an overused title at all :lol ), by John Malam and Steve Parker. It was published in 2002, so I was about 11 or 12 when I got it. It's weird, because the book is so outdated now (Therizinosaurus was still a carnivore; Microraptor was completely incapable of aerial activity; Acrocanthosaurus is considered a Spinosaur :blink: ). But the art is pretty decent enough (though a bit sloppy on some dinosaurs) and the pterosaurs were especially well drawn in a variety of poses. It was a real help!

andókudos to youóyou made all three of them fuzzy! For anyone reading this post who may not be familiar with this fact, it’s been well documented from fossil impressions that pterosaurs were covered in hair-like filaments (technically known as pycnofibers), not scales.

The fluffy-ness was fun!! I personally think it makes all three of them adorable!! I would hug each of them, but hugging Sierra and maybe even Rinkus might not be such a great idea :D !!

I’m sure you’d appreciate some more pterosaur anatomy tips, so here you go: Sierra’s nostril should be at the very front of that triangular “window” in his snout. A general rule of thumb with animals is that the fleshy nostril opening is (#1) much smaller than the naris, or bony nostril opening, and (#2) as far forward in said bony nostril opening as possible. I also think there should probably be more of his right wing membrane visible, and based on what can be seen of his right arm behind his body, it looks like it is bent very strangely. I don’t blame you, though; folded pterosaur wings are hard to draw!

Okay! The Cearadactylus picture I used for reference had the nostril in the middle of the 'window', so I didn't really know any better! :lol: And I knew I should've added more wing membrane! I wanted too, but couldn't really make it look right with the pose (a lifted wing with the flight-finger expanded, as if he's going 'Don't step on my wing!'). I guess that didn't go too well either, sorry! :smile  :oops And yeah, I NEVER expected pterosaur wings to be difficult. It certainly looked much simpler than a bird or bat wing! I guess appearances can be deceiving!

For the record, I still draw a lot of pointy-winged critters when realism isn’t that relevant, or when I’m emulating a certain art style.

I should've looked at the references more carefully!! But I'm just so used to pointy pterosaur wings because I usually draw pterosaurs under those very circumstances!!

Thanks for your understanding. You’re so nice. *hugs*

Your one of my best buddies, so I'm more than happy to be nice!! :lol  *hugs back extra tightly!*

Alrighty then, that's what we'll do!

Yayz!! But a realistic Liopleurodon is a lot more difficult to draw than I anticipated!!  The walrus is surprisingly cooperative, but your Lio isn't going to be drawn without a fight and it's really stalling my progress! :smile I'm thinking of settling with a LBT style pliosaur (perhaps a bit more cartooonish); it should be a bit easier! But I'll make a few more attempts at the realistic style before going with that option! :yes

Fantastic! What’ve you got so far that I’ve helped you come up with? The walrus giving the Liopleurodon an Aspirin…Slasher the deathgleaner tangled in wind chimes…c’mon, I know there’s more!

:lol Well, some of the idea you gave me wasn't intentional! Some of the things you said in some responses gives me inpiration. Perhaps the strangest is Teryx's tail sporting a glove Mickey Mouse-esque hand, playing video games! But others are meant to be surprises :p

Hold on, you have a picture of Toni, too? I'd like to see it!

Yup! I was originally gonna color it after my current photoshop project, but since you showed such interest, Pangy, I made it my first priority to finish! It'll be on the end of this post, so it doesn't interrupt the responses!

Thanks again. I’m glad you had fun drawing it. I’m not sure what sounds pronghorn make, but now that I think about it, elk calls would actually work pretty well for a pachycephalosaur. I know exactly the sound you’re talking about; in my opinion, it’s one of the coolest-sounding animal calls.

Having brought up the subject of elk, I can’t resist mentioning this: do you know that the American elk is also called the wapiti (pronounced “WOP-ih-TEE”)? I just love that word.

Yes, it does sound cool for a pachycephalosaur! Whenever I play Warpath, I purposely press the 'Taunt' button just to hear the Stygimoloch make that beautiful noise! In fact, you know how the dinos in LBT sometimes make animal noises? Stygia uses that elk call (I believe it's called a bugle) as an alarm and a show of fear, and also as a warning that she's about to charge in defense!

Wapiti! That is a funny name!! I'm now gonna make it my word of the day!

And now, heeeeeeeeerrrrrreeeeee's Toni, best friend and potential maternal figure for Stygia!

Toni is an young adult Gastonia that lives on her own (she has no herd). She's a tough cookie, but a very loyal dinosaur to anyone she can call a friend. But for a long time, she had no friends of her own kind and she had no interest in befriending another species.

That changed when one day, Toni was sniffing for underground water and Stygia rushed to her all beaten and bleeding and terrified. Feeling sorry for the young dinosaur, Toni defended her from the rogue Domehead trio. Having ward them off, Toni allowed Stygia to stick around and helped her recover, but at the same time keeping her distance, not wanting to form an attachment to a dinosaur that's most likely going to leave. But even when she got better, Stygia had no intention of going anywhere and a very strong friendship was formed.

Toni is a spunky critter, never willing to back down from danger when said danger comes in the form of sharpteeth and aggressive dinosaurs. She's highly confident in her defensive abilities and her survival techniques. She's passed many tips on where to find all sorts of different food and hidden sources of water to Stygia, in some ways, treating her best buddy like a daughter. That's how strong the bond between them is!

When they met my other OCs, Toni got along very well with all of them. When Stygia panicked about Tero, Toni felt a bit torn, wanting to stay with the group but knowing that Stygia no longer had that desire. And so, being the loyal dinosaur she is, she decided to go with Stygia.

For the color, I again used Jurassic Park: Warpath, this time using my favorite version of Ankylosaurus. It reminds me of a turtle!! :p I also used the same book I used for the Flyer trio to help me with the placement of the armor spikes. I hope you like it, Pangy!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Aug 30 2012 on  03:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, what’s the name, author, and publication date of that pterosaur book you used as a reference?
The book is called Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Creatures (that's not an overused title at all :lol ), by John Malam and Steve Parker. It was published in 2002, so I was about 11 or 12 when I got it. It's weird, because the book is so outdated now (Therizinosaurus was still a carnivore; Microraptor was completely incapable of aerial activity; Acrocanthosaurus is considered a Spinosaur :blink: ). But the art is pretty decent enough (though a bit sloppy on some dinosaurs) and the pterosaurs were especially well drawn in a variety of poses. It was a real help!
Hmm…I looked that book up on Amazon so I could see what its cover looked like, and I’m pretty sure my youngest brother owns it. Don’t know where it is, though.

Okay! The Cearadactylus picture I used for reference had the nostril in the middle of the 'window', so I didn't really know any better! :lol:
Incidentally, the size and position of the nostrils in dinosaurs (and presumably pterosaurs, too) has been the subject of much revamping in recent years. Where many dinosaurs used to be drawn with a huge, gaping nostril in the center of each naris, the new and (presumably) more accurate style is to give them relatively tiny nostrils at the very front. Even the nostrils of sauropodsólong restored as being high up on the foreheadóare now believed to have been much closer to the front of the muzzle.

And I knew I should've added more wing membrane! I wanted too, but couldn't really make it look right with the pose (a lifted wing with the flight-finger expanded, as if he's going 'Don't step on my wing!'). I guess that didn't go too well either, sorry! :smile  :oops And yeah, I NEVER expected pterosaur wings to be difficult. It certainly looked much simpler than a bird or bat wing! I guess appearances can be deceiving!
I guess wings are just inherently difficult to draw, by virtue of being limbs with not only all sorts of joints and specific ways of flexing, but surfaces like feathers or membranes that fold and overlap whenever the wing is bent.

I should've looked at the references more carefully!! But I'm just so used to pointy pterosaur wings because I usually draw pterosaurs under those very circumstances!!
Don’t worry about it. There are even professional paleoartists out there who make that mistake when drawing pterosaur wings.

Yayz!! But a realistic Liopleurodon is a lot more difficult to draw than I anticipated!!  The walrus is surprisingly cooperative, but your Lio isn't going to be drawn without a fight and it's really stalling my progress! :smile I'm thinking of settling with a LBT style pliosaur (perhaps a bit more cartooonish); it should be a bit easier! But I'll make a few more attempts at the realistic style before going with that option! :yes
If it helps, the Liopleurodon in my picture was floating vertically in the water with his head tilted forward 90 degrees (a pose which I’m guessing they couldn’t have adopted in real life :oops). The walrus is lying on the nose of…well, I referred to it as a boat before, and for all intents and purposes it is, but it would more accurately described as an extremely unconventional all-terrain vehicle whose design was originally inspired by a goofy-looking slipper. (That’s all I’m going to say for now in case you don’t want your interpretation of the scene to be influenced any more than necessary.)

:lol Well, some of the idea you gave me wasn't intentional! Some of the things you said in some responses gives me inpiration. Perhaps the strangest is Teryx's tail sporting a glove Mickey Mouse-esque hand, playing video games! But others are meant to be surprises :p
Surprises, huh? Can’t wait to see them! :smile

Hold on, you have a picture of Toni, too? I'd like to see it!
Yup! I was originally gonna color it after my current photoshop project, but since you showed such interest, Pangy, I made it my first priority to finish! It'll be on the end of this post, so it doesn't interrupt the responses!
Have I mentioned before that you’re awesome? Yes? Well I’m repeating it anyway! :p

For the color, I again used Jurassic Park: Warpath, this time using my favorite version of Ankylosaurus. It reminds me of a turtle!! :p I also used the same book I used for the Flyer trio to help me with the placement of the armor spikes. I hope you like it, Pangy!
Looks cool! :smile I like the combination of yellow and black (Those colors seem to work well for ankylosaurs, for some reason). I’m not certain as to the accurate size, shape, and placement of Gastonia’s armor plates and spikes, but since this is LBT style anyway (hardly the most scientifically accurate style out there :p), I don’t think it matters much. On that note, I think this is a really good LBT-style Gastonia. :yes I really like how you made her similar enough to a clubtail (especially in the arrangement of her armor) that one can easily tell that she’s a closely related species, but she still has a unique design, rather than having the same body model of an existing LBT dinosaur with a different color scheme and one or two modified features. One detail I do think could use improvement is the row of eight small plates closest to the edge of her “carapace”; it looks to me like it’s too tightly squeezed between the two rows of big spikes on either side of it. You could remove them, but I think it might look better if you moved them and the back spikes higher up.

After reading her bio, I already really like Toni :DD (and, if it's not already clear, I like the picture as well :D). Have you written or planned any stories about her and Stygia? Or is it just their general backstory that you've plotted out so far?