The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Impossible Reach

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
(Well, here it is the start of the second part of the story, and...I'm afraid we start off a bit intense from Chapter 1 even, but seemed the best way to start her off. It should be lighter in some parts as we go, though I don't have all of it mapped out yet)

I: Comings

The memory of her abduction which had lead to her meeting the young, but slightly older than herself, spiketail, Ridge, and to his herd becoming permanent members of the Great Valley was something Harper had put out of her mind a while back. At least the slight worry such a crack in her safe world had caused slowly faded over the Cold Times and her life returned back to normal with the slight exception that she understood her brother, Petrie's, draw to confide in close friends more now that she had Ridge for said purpose.

Not that she exactly shunned the others for Ridge's company as Petrie was inclined to do. No tag with her other siblings while Petrie was off doing whatever he did with his friends was still common. Yet at the same time, if anything she saw more of Petrie and got to know his friends better even as Ridge would check by. Being older sometimes he felt more like the babysitter than anything, but even as his own time of adolescence grew closer and closer he retained enough playfulness that he was still counted fun enough for the others to talk to.

In fact, even though Littlefoot was the main defender of Chomper and his friend Ruby when they had to come to the Valley too, Harper was still convinced one nasty run in with Mr. Threehorn was averted quicker by the young spiketail with full defenses than it would have been had he not been there to help Littlefoot defend the young sharptooth's mishap in falling and biting the old threehorn's nose. Mr. Threehorn wasn't the type to admit he was intimidated by children ever, so Harper doubted he'd ever let loose his real reason for moving along with nothing more than a grumble about "kids".

The herd of runners had moved on shortly after coming to the Great Valley, yet then, one day, just showed back up. Ridge had noticed them first and when he asked why they were back (and he'd asked it nicer than some like Mr. Threehorn) they had said they were just returning to the peace of the Great Valley. Few could begrudge them this.

Harper still didn't feel any of them had grown, with the exception that maybe Ridge's spikes looked a bit more intimidating...maybe. Still, Petrie kept very good track of the time and the runner's arrival was also just seven bright circles away from a certain of their relative's exile ending. Harper knew this because it was reminded to her over and over so much she felt she's clamp her brother's beak shut if he talked about it one more time! Oh sure, she was glad of the event as well, but Petrie's focused got more and more one tracked as the bright circle cycles got closer and closer!

The others had given up on paying attention to Petrie as well by the very night before and so Harper was left to deal with Petrie's chatter.

"Oh and me know perfect spot to show..."

"Petrie!" Harper wheeled on her brother to hold a wing over his beak as brightfall had happened quite a while ago and still the two of them weren't sleeping because of Petrie's ramblings. Harper let out a breath, "All of that's gonna get here quicker if you go to sleep" she went on in a calmer tone, but with the undercurrent of impatience and flat out fatigue in her voice. Petrie got the message and rolled over. Letting out another sigh, Harper settled in to try and get to sleep as well, now way past the time she was suppose to have been asleep.

Maybe it was that mess up in her sleep cycle, the young flyer wasn't sure, but that night in her sleep stories she saw scenes she'd never wished to relive ever again. Re-lived them actually, step by step, everything since when she'd first turned and noticed the two runners she'd later found out were named Veck and Lars, on through their taking her and even the "learning process" they were put through. Everything in her sleep story was horribly the same...with one exception. When she was plummeting out of the sky, Petrie and Guido didn't rush in to save her, she just kept falling closer and closer to the ground until...

Thankfully Harper awoke right before the sleep story could get it's most horrible. She glanced about and found her nest empty. After such a sleep story, it was the last thing she wanted to see. Sure, her mind was telling her all of the realities and she knew all that had happened since then and that she was safe in the Great Valley and had been for a while now, but that lingering doubt made her push up and semi-stagger towards the cave entrance. "M-Mom...".

Her mother was still there and appeared at the entrance from where she's just been sitting chatting with Grandma Longneck apparently. Harper fell into her wings letting out a few heavy breaths before finding a normal breathing pattern again. "Harper..." her mother set her back, not so much looking worried but curious, "Well I noticed you slept in but...you ok?".

With this final reminder that she'd been right and all was put right, Harper found a smile as she nodded, "Yeah...just...had a bad sleep story" she answered truthfully but not fully. Both her mother and Grandma Longneck shook their heads a bit.

"Well normal occurrence, I know" Grandma Longneck smiled, "but the very night before Pterano's return, odd timing" she chuckled a bit.

"Really, I'd expect it to hit me rather than her" was Harper's mother's remark with a slight smile of amusement. This reminded the hatchling of the timing and she glanced between both females.

"Oh yeah, that is today" she said, "Is that where everyone else is?". Both nodded.

"A fair selection of the Valley from what I hear" Grandma Longneck answered.

"Oh" Harper glanced to her mother again, "Gosh, I didn't mean to keep you by sleeping in late".

Her mother sighed, "No, staying to await you waking up was a pretty good excuse to stay and...collect my own thoughts" she gazed off. Harper frowned in sympathy, remembering how the hardest part of her Uncle Pterano's exile from the herd that first time on their way to the Valley had been watching the silent struggle her mother went through, always being attuned to her mother's feelings as she was. Harper now hugged her mother after this statement, showing such support.

Her mother smiled and pat her back a bit before sighing, "Well but we should probably all get to it eventually" she said looking from her daughter to Grandma Longneck. The old female smiled and nodded.

"Yes, for Pterano's sake let's not leave it only Grandpa and Mr. Threehorn there when he arrives". All three females, two adult and one hatchling, laughed at this supposed scene.

As they headed out Harper flew along behind where her mother and Grandma Longneck talked, though it was hard to be behind Grandma Longneck, but still she gave the two adults enough space to talk over adult things if they felt like it. It didn't sound like they were talking about anything too interesting anyway.

A sudden movement off to the right caught Harper's attention, for some reason, and she glanced over. It was one of the runners, seeming in a hurry. He darted out of some bushes and then carried a pile of leaves back through the bush again.

Harper paused. Glancing to her mother and Grandma Longneck up ahead and now walking further away, she glanced back to the bushes and then back to the adults.

"H-Hey mom!" she called, drawing her mother's attention, "I...I might catch up later" she just wished to inform her mother of why she was disappearing. If her experiences with being taken had told her one thing, it was disappearing even within the Great Valley could be a cause for concern.

Her mother didn't question why, for which Harper was glad since she didn't have an answer; she instead just nodded. "Alright dear, we'll either be at the meeting of back at the nest".

Harper nodded, "Tell Uncle Pterano sorry for me and it's not him and not to get offended" she said before flying off to her right. She heard slight chuckles from the two adults before they moved off.

Flying through the bushes and, best as she could tell, after the path the runner had taken, Harper soon came out in a clearing and gasped at what she saw. The runner with the leaves rushed over to where the matriarch of their herd lay on the floor looking ill. Bending he offered them to her but she didn't raise her head. Sitting near her, her mate held her hand looking dejected as well.

"A-Are you ok?" Harper darted over, before she paused and realized this was probably sort of the runner herd's own business, their leader being ill, and maybe she was intruding. While looking a bit surprised at her being there, most of the runners didn't look upset but rather just smiled again in pity and also their own sadness.

"Well, look who it is?" Harper turned at the voice and saw the matriarch wearily open her eyes and give her a tired looking smile. "What brings you over, child?".

"I...I noticed one of your herd members rushing over with leaves and...just followed. What...what's wrong?" Harper asked, walking forward and suddenly looking very worried. She glanced between the matriarch to her mate.

The male smiled sadly as well, "I'm afraid my mate's just been a bit down, truth be told we both have" he sighed.

The young flyer frowned, "I...I don't understand, you...you both are sick? What? Down?".

The matriarch smiled, pushing herself up to a sitting position, "Harper" she drew the young one's attention, "First off, I don't want you to think I'm wallowing in pity or anything, I...I'm too strong for that, but, not as strong as I thought I suppose". The older but still a hatchling of a flyer still looked confused.

"The last thing I would wish is to leave or let down my herd, but...sometimes, when you've dealt with heartache and a great pain long enough, it...your body starts to feel it too" the matriarch went on, "I'm afraid 'dying of a broken heart' is a...real thing, as I'm finding out".

Harper slowly shook her head as she tried to make sense of this.

"I'm afraid I've started feeling it myself, even as I ironically try to help my mate" the patriarch gave a sad smile.

"Been trying to get them to eat for forever feels like, and we felt sure bringing them back here would help" the runner with leaves sighed.

"Please child, stop looking like that" the matriarch went on, seeing Harper's incredulous, confused look.

"But...I don't get it, if nothing's actually wrong with you..." her frown deepened as she tried to make sense of what was told to her, "this is about...them...isn't it?" she asked. the matriarch slumped back down to the ground. "Ok, sorry" Harper rushed in her words, also rushing over, "I...I won't mention them again, I...".

"It's not you, dear" the matriarch smiled again, "even without a mention, they've never left our thoughts and..." a ragged breath came out, "I pray you never do have to banish your own children and watch the clear knowledge come into their eyes that they think you hate them, but if you ever did...maybe...you'll finally understand".

Harper stared in shock at the matriarch for a few seconds more, then turned and darted straight off and out of the clearing, tears already forming and trickling down her beak.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow yeah, pretty upsetting first chapter, especially at the end there. Finally found time to sit down and get reviews in. I've been so busy with job hunting (and work) that I rarely get the time to sit down and read these, but now it seems I've hit a spot where I can, and can hopefully keep up as well. :p

Well it seems Pterano's coming back. And also that I don't think we've seen the last of her sons either. They'll probably be playing a role in this. I also thought I picked up on some admiration there for Ridge's more intimidating looking spikes in Harper's eyes. XD I thought that was a nice little subtlety. :)

The spiritual successor to "The Past That Yawns Behind" should be coming out soon... either this week or within the next few, depending on what sort of time I have, so I guess we'll be writing along with each other like before. xD :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I actually didn't even notice this one was posted yet, if you could believe that :lol Somehow I managed to overlook it. :unsure:

Anyway, very intriguing first chapter. I guessed it would be about the two banished sons, but didn't even think of this angle. About the anguish their parents must be going through right now. Like I think I said in the first story, I have a hunch Pterano is going to have a big role with those two sons as well, since all three of them seem similar in a way.

Happy that your brought Chomper and Ruby into this story now :DD Really funny how you have the little sharptooth apparently biting the old threehorn. Even if it was by accident, something like that would be really serious I'd imagine. I hope them, along with the rest of the Gang, have sorta big roles in this, like they did in the first story.

Edit: If Pterano wants to bring up his story (Which he's shown me a bit of, lucky me :nyah ) I'll say that I'm still doing my TV series fic for the next 2 months or so. So, we're gonna be writing along side each other as well :)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yay, you found it :-D Yeah once it got stuck on the second page I was thinking on how I mentioned it was even here without sounding...not needy, but you know. That and working on Ch 2 wasn't rushed due to my own time constraints. Yay for writing with both of you again though as you said. Look forward to it Pterano and Vonboy, yes, I am still attempting reading through yours too, just so you know,since I've never been sure where to stick reviews :-)

Now onto your queries... Hmm, Pterano's admiration comment...not sure how to answer that. Hehe, maybe I should just keep the subtlety :-)

And yes working with Chomper is fun, I've found as I ponder ahead a bit. Ok, well Ch 2 is mainly done so I'll just make sure it's done and then you will hopefully get that soon!

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
((I'd just like to point out how I may have taken inspiration for small plot points, like flights, from other sources but I'm not trying to steal :smile))

II: Plans

"W-ell, there you are!" Harper raised her head up from her wings as she heard the familiar but long unheard voice chuckle out. "I was starting to think that despite saving her from a spitter sharptooth, my niece went and forgot my arrival time".

"N-no, I didn't" Harper answered, glancing aside, but still not turning. There was a pause and then the hatchling heard a rustling as the speaker, her Uncle Pterano of course, walked over and in front of where she sat on the branch of a bush, bending down to be level with her.

"Why Harper, whatever is all this for" Pterano surprised even her by his openness as he reached his wing over, brushing aside some of her tears, "Certainly not over me, I hope".

"No, of course not" Harper hurried to reassure, "I'm glad you're back, honest, it's..." she wasn't sure how to go into all of what had recently occurred. She glanced down.

"Uncle, me ready" Petrie's voice suddenly called out, the little brown flyer soon flying over and landing on Pterano's shoulder. "We go flying now like you promise?" he asked.

"One moment, Petrie, if you would; something's wrong with your sister" Pterano went on.

Harper sighed, "Nothing's wrong with me, it's...the runners" she hesitantly got out, still glancing away from both her uncle and brother.

"What wrong with them?", Harper knew her brother didn't mean to be uncaring or anything, and in fact did half sound like he might be tempted to be worried, but his mind was preoccupied with going out for a just for fun flight with just Pterano and his words came off impatient.

She sighed, "Don't you get it, we're gonna have Uncle Pterano forever now but the runners aren't so lucky and by tomorrow they might not even...might not..." Harper's breath hitched and she paused, tears forming again.

Harper felt Pterano gently lift her beak up so that she was facing him, "Harper, what's wrong with the runners?" he tried again at getting information out of her.

"It's the lead female" Harper breathed, "she's...dying".

~~~~

"We didn't mean to insight worry on your niece's part, or anyone else’s" the patriarch said, explaining to Pterano after the flyer had come over to check-up after Harper told him. He'd meant for both her and Petrie to stay back at the nest, but of course they hadn't done that.

The patriarch all but limped over and took a seat on a nearby rock. He didn't look so good himself. Pterano glanced down, "I...understand the immense pain you must have both suffered these past few cold times" he said, "but, take it from me...". Harper saw Pterano glanced back towards at least Petrie, and maybe both him and herself, briefly before facing the patriarch again, "there's always something to find the strength to go on for. Your herd needs you as well, Sir".

"I thank you, my good flyer, for trying to extend back our hospitality of before" the patriarch said, "but...you speak like we've just given up".

"Haven't you?" Pterano said the words softly, but still Harper's eyes widened at the even slight accusation.

"No Sir, we haven't" the matriarch approached now, "if we gave up we would have succumbed long ago".

Pterano shook his head, sighing and went to continue the...not argument but attempt at getting through. Harper didn't stay to listen to it, though, and just flapped off out of earshot.

Petrie followed, glancing to his sister thoughtfully as they landed. "You sorry you told Uncle Pterano and get him arguing with them too?" he asked.

"No, that's not it" Harper glanced up and out at the sky, thinking. Petrie watched her for a bit then glanced down in his own thoughts.

"They...they probably just think they getting sick from sadness, me sure they be ok" the hatchling next tried. There was a pause and then he went on, "So...what we do now?". Harper turned a small smile to Petrie, glad he was on the same game trail as she was on this, so to speak, and counted the runners friends too. Not that she was surprised, if anything Petrie had been around the matriarch and her mate more than she had, even if she'd been quick to latch respect onto them and find them "cool".

Maybe she could use her brother's support. "Petrie..." she turned to him with an unsure look, "I do have one idea and...well you're more use to taking off with Littlefoot and the others...maybe you can tell me what you think of it".

"Sure" Petrie shrugged, but looked just slightly nervous himself, before he reminded himself that this was Harper, not Littlefoot or the others, and his sister didn't come up with crazy ideas. Still, his look had been enough to remind Harper, oh yeah, Petrie sort of freaked out at the mention of something scary. Somehow she knew her idea would fit into this category.

"Second thought" she went on, placing a hand on Petrie's shoulder as she glanced off, "I know what you'll say, so thanks, but maybe I should use Ridge as the sounding wall on this". Harper flapped up.

Petrie stood there a moment or so more, before flapping up after her. Harper smiled to herself, she'd been sort of hoping Petrie would still come, even if she knew she was likely to lose him for good in this endeavor once she spilled what it was she'd thought.

If the two had ever believed in, well fate, or things just being worked out a certain way or anything, the scene as they landed at Ridge's seemed to have that sort of foretelling atmosphere. Or it was just normal and they read too much into it. The odd occurrence was that Littlefoot was there talking to the spiketail about something.

"Hmm, why Littlefoot here too?" Petrie seemed to sum it up. Harper hesitated just a moment and then continued over, causing Petrie to do the same of course.

"Ridge" she called, "Um, hi, and sorry if I interrupted" she glanced to Littlefoot. The longneck smiled though.

"No not really, what are you two up to?" he asked. The two hatchlings glanced to each other, almost both thinking over how hard answered a question that was.

"Well, that's kind of what brought us over here" Harper answered, before turning to Ridge. She glanced about to make sure none of the adult spiketails of his herd were too close. They weren't, the four kids being sort of detached off to the side of the herd, which was good.

"I-it's the runners, you know the one's who just came back" she spoke to Ridge but glanced to Littlefoot to include him in this too, "Apparently they're here because the two leaders are...well...dying or...something".

Ridge and Littlefoot both frowned.

"Or they very sick" Petrie went on, "they not have anything real wrong with them".

"They've been sad since they had to banish their sons and...I think it's finally...become too much, or that's what they tried to tell me anyway" Harper shook her head, still not getting it.

"Wow, that's awful" Ridge said.

Harper glanced aside and then back to him, "I...I did have one idea of what might help, but...it's risky, so much so it's a shock I thought of it". Ridge nodded for her to go on. Harper swallowed and did so, "What if...what if we tried to find Veck and Lars and...tell them...about their parents".

Ridge, Littlefoot and Petrie all looked shocked. "What?!" Petrie screeched, "that you idea! Me thought you not come up with bad ideas like Littlefoot!". The longneck looked like he would ask Petrie what he meant by this, but didn't say anything.

"H-Hold, on maybe it's not a bad idea" Ridge cut in. "Risky, yeah, but Harper seems to be onto something, I mean missing their sons is what's causing all this, so seeing them again is probably all that would help".

"F-find runners who take you again?!" Petrie asked.

Ridge and Harper were silent for a bit and then Harper's voice went on, very, very hesitant and low, "Kidnapper's...aren't always...all bad...maybe...". She paused and left what she'd wanted to be an optimistic statement hanging in uncertainty. No one said anything for a bit.

"But...", Littlefoot broke the pause, "I saw their trial same as you all did and...well aren't things sort of...hard between the leaders and their sons? Not to mention they're still banished".

"Indefinitely" Harper sighed, recalling the exact wording the patriarch had used, "What ever that means".

"I asked them about it before they left" Ridge said, "The head male said Veck and Lars knew what he meant and that it meant until they were changed and better, however long that took".

"That must be why it's so hard..." Littlefoot realized and said, "They haven't come back yet, kind of on their own".

"Well...if they heard their parents were dying..." Harper went on, thinking, "yes, I know they were mad, but they can't be that mad that they wouldn't care". Ridge and Littlefoot looked thoughtful over this while Petrie just still looked hesitant. It was a question none of the four of them could answer, would knowledge of how bad off their parents were, and that they were fading away because of them, make a difference to Veck or Lars?

"Petrie! Harper! where have you two gone?" the two flyers soon heard their Uncle Pterano calling, actually having come pretty close to finding them.

"We should probably go make sure he doesn't think he lost on his first day back or anything" Harper told her brother. Petrie nodded.

"Ridge and I will come by your nest tomorrow, if that's ok" Littlefoot said, "maybe after I tell Cera, Spike and Ducky, and maybe also Ruby or Chomper" he glanced to Harper to make sure she was ok with her idea being spread this far. It was understandable though, the five and sometimes seven of them did everything together. She nodded, as did Petrie, which seemed to show his own accepting of the inevitable adventuring again, then they both flapped over to let Pterano know he hadn't lost track of them this soon.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ugh, FINALLY got to this! I've not been reading many fanfics as of late (with a few exceptions), but managed to read this yesterday at work. :) We're moving house, so things are a little crazy. Sometimes I find I only have enough free time to post like one or two things here, and since I divide my time between here and other forums, I always have to make a choice. :p At least all this craziness will end by the 15th. :)

So yeah, this seems like mostly a chapter establishing things, what with Pterano's introduction, and the most important part is the ending, where they all decide to go looking for Veck and Lars (I wonder if that's wise). Also makes me wonder if Harper is going to give in and tell her uncle or her mother that they're going out there... though for story's purpose, probably not her mother. XD

So yeah, glad I finally got a chance to review this, at long last. :p

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, like three weeks late again, but At least I read this eventually lol. Thanks again Pterano for bumping this thread so I could see it. I don't know why, but I keep looking over this thread for some reason. I'm on a lot, so I should have seen it, but I didn't. Maybe it's the title or something. I remember looking on here earlier today and thinking "Impossible Reach? What the fudge is that?". Idk, but I just see the title, and don't think "Oh yeah, this must be a Fanfiction."

I thanked you in my thread, but I'll thank you again for giving me feedback on my fiction too. I really like to hear what other people have to say about my work, good or bad, and I'm sure you do too. :yes

Anyway, on to my review. Yeah, this was more of a setting up chapter. It was cool seeing Harper coming up with the crazy hair-brained scheme for once, as she's more of the...proper and follow the rules type.

I don't think I've commented on this yet, but I do like your writing style in general. It's very descriptive. I like how you often have your characters "speak" to each other with body language. You're very good at interaction's between characters. Also, you're writing has a kind of...child-like quality to it. It's much different from my stuff, which is usually more...crazy. :lol

Yeah, don't worry about the borrowing ideas thing. Me, Pterano, and TFM have been kinda borrowing ideas from each other too. I borrowed several ideas from both of those members in the Pterano episode I posted last week.

Anyway, good set-up chapter. Can't wait for this to heat up, as I'm kinda unsure how it'll play out. Hopefully it won't take me three weeks to review your next chapter. :p
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hey guys

Thanks again for the reviews and that's fine with the time limits and all. I've been slow at working on chapter three myself and understand how just keeping up on other stuff here sometimes takes enough time.

Well Ch 3 should be coming shortly though, just have to nit-pick go through it again and make sure :DD but as always read at your own pace.

Oh and yes I did give it an odd title, even if that's not exactly what you said, Vonboy, but it's what I say. Just wasn't sure how the "purpose" of this should be summed into one semi-vague word, so that's what happened and I guess that's the tile I'm sticking with :)

And yes, it's almost like you read my mind and next chapter already, Pterano, because obviously secret keeping like this is not Harper's forte but we will just have to see how it all play out :DD

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
((Unfortunately no action in this Chapter either, just build up, but we're getting there fairly quickly, I promise :DD))

III: Preparations

Pterano's arrival and "greet" had, of course, been early in the day, so Harper found that the hardest part of her plan was that she still had a good chunk of the day to get through while keeping secret what was planned up for tomorrow. Also, almost to not seem suspicious probably, Ridge was keeping his distance, so aside from tag and such with her other siblings, the day drug on in a tense sort of way.

She made it to that night, though, and none seemed the wiser. It had been even harder, after Petrie and Pterano returned from their outing, to not grab her brother and immediately interrogate him on how it had gone and if the secret was still that. Petrie guessed enough to give her a slight smile that all was still good, though.

Harper was now munching on some treestars for their evening meal trying to think up something else to get her mind on. This was unfortunate for some relatives. "So, Uncle Pterano", she found it, "Since I wasn't there, did the...meeting back up with the Council and all go...ok?". Her mother smiled over to Pterano with one of those looks that was trying to be sorry for one's child, but wasn't, and was a tad amused.

Pterano let a few seconds go by as he seemed to gather his answer. "Well, my still being here is of course testament that it didn't go as horribly as it could have" he began with a small smile, "though that old threehorn is just one of the worst, most stubborn...". Whatever other adjectives Pterano was going to cast at his rival, Harper didn't get the chance to hear them because her mother cleared her throat while giving him "that look".

"Right" Pterano moved on in topic, glancing over to Harper again, "Yet, all in all, I suppose I can call the Great Valley Council nothing if not fair for giving such a reprobate as myself a second chance, as they have" he finished with a sigh.

"It Littlefoot's grandpa who talk for him and get Mr. Threehorn to be quiet" Petrie informed his sister, having paid very close attention during Pterano's gathered "welcome".

"Petrie!" his mother scolded her son being so rude in what he said towards one of the leading members of the Great Valley Council. The hatchling ducked his head with a small smile.

"Well, the assessment isn't exactly off" Pterano muttered in defense, though Harper caught that he probably didn't want anyone to hear what he said. Her mother did hear it though and promptly aimed a glare Pterano's way. Seeming to catch on to the tense atmosphere, all of the hatchlings quickly finished up and headed towards bed.

Harper...almost threw all the planning all away, but couldn't help herself. Leaning over to her mother before heading off to her spot in the nest, she hugged her, "I love you, Mom". If anything happened while they were off searching, she didn't want to have not said it.

Her mother smiled and after hugging her back gave the sort of informal "Back at ya" that actually said a lot.

"You too, Uncle Pterano, thanks...um, for listening earlier" she said with a smile. Again, it was almost giving away too much, mentioning the issue with the runners, but again, Harper couldn't leave it unsaid.

"Anytime" Pterano said with an understanding smile on the secret the two...well three of them shared exclusively. If he only knew the other half of the secret only her and Petrie shared. Glancing between her mother and uncle again, Harper began to feel bad and like she had too many secrets already, so quickly went to bed.

~~~~

"Wow...Littlefoot wasn't kidding" Harper whispered as she peered out of her nest and to the ground where Littlefoot, Cera, Spike, Chomper, Ruby and Ridge all stood. Ducky had made the climb up to the flyers' nest to gently wake just Petrie and Harper early to set out on this little mission of theirs. The two flapped down, each grabbing one of Ducky's arms to help float her back down to the ground as well.

Once they landed, Harper turned back to check that none in the nest had stirred. Nope, her siblings and her mother were still asleep, as was Pterano on a lower ledge. No turning back now. Littlefoot motioned them all out away from the nest and it wasn't until they had walked off a ways that the conversation started with Cera.

"So, it is you then? The reason I was waken up so early?" Cera asked Harper, "When Littlefoot told me, I sort of didn't believe him". There were chuckles and Harper smiled.

"No, I came up with the horrible idea this time" Harper answered.

"Well but just to help the two runners, right?" Chomper said, sort of coming to Harper's defense, it sounded like, and causing her to smile again to the sharptooth she already met before Ridge had her hanging around the gang, back when Petrie brought him by the nest.

"That's what I'm hoping" she answered.

"Well I thought it was the best and kindest thing I'd ever heard of, I did" Ducky smiled to Harper, "and I'm sure we can get the runners' sons to listen, I am, I mean their parents are sick and like Littlefoot said Harper said, they have to care".

"Yes" Ruby agreed with a nod, "When people like your parents have cared for you, caring back is sort of all you can do". As they walked on towards one of the exits of the Great Valley, Ridge wondered why it was the girls of the group being the most optimisitc with this, and if it was bad that he wasn't so optimistic. He glanced to Littlefoot who seemed to know what he was thinking and share the thought even. The longneck smiled back. Neither of them were saying it wouldn't work, obviously, they just...didn't know what would happen.

"Ok, well that's all great" Cera piped in with, changing the pattern Ridge noticed by being not optimistic, "but anyone thought on how we're going to find these runners?".

"Well I'm sure someone in the Mysterious Beyond has heard something; that and we have Chomper's sniffer" Littlefoot answered.

"Yup!" the little sharptooth grinned, "and I can smell anything from way far away!" he said enthusiastically, sniffing the air for demonstration.

Chomper really was the sweetest thing ever, Harper had already realized, but still she smiled a bit nervously as the sharptooth went on about how good at...sniffing he was. "I--is it bad if I still find that a little scary?" she whispered over to Ducky and Petrie. With agreeing smiles of unsurity, both shook their heads. No, it was still a little odd when Chomper said things like that.

They all reached one of the exits from the Great Valley out into the Mysterious Beyond, and from Ridge's back, Harper glanced up at it.

"You know you can still turn back...". Harper glanced over to see Cera smirking at her in a knowing way. She was expecting the little nest-body to "egg" out.

Harper frowned a bit and seemed to sit straighter, "N-no thank you, I'm good. What about you?" she threw back, though in not such an assured voice as Cera's challenge had been in.

The threehorn gave a small laugh, "This is treesweets by now" she assured. Littlefoot frowned, he didn't know why Cera had gotten it into her head to give Petrie's sister such a hard time. Probably because she felt she could, along the same reasoning for why she sometimes gave Chomper a hard time too. Still, even if this wasn't Harper's first time hanging out with them, he didn't think it was a good impression or just plain nice.

"Oh, I'm sure Harper will do just fine on the trip" Littlefoot said,  "It was her idea after all" the longneck gave Harper a smile, one she tried to return.

"Yeah" Ridge went on, "and if we're counting experience with the Mysterious Beyond, I actually beat out all of you since my herd's from there". The spiketail walked on past.

"Exactly" Littlefoot replied.

"Oh hush up!" Cera pushed past the two and continued on. With chuckles, Littlefoot and Ridge followed. Ruby, Chomper and Spike followed them, Spike of course carrying Ducky while Petrie and Harper flew along for now.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I liked how Harper was kind of uneasy around Chomper.

I don't really have much to say for this chapter. Hope the next chapter heats up some, as the Gang is now heading out into the Mysterious Beyond.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
((Thanks, and sorry for slow progress with updates. I have a few writing projects all going at once. Yeah, Chomper gets a few moments during this story, sort of including this chapter, sort of))

IV:Finds

Cera grimaced over to Chomper as she watched the little sharptooth sniffing about for either danger or dinosaurs who looked likely to know anything about the runners they were tracking. "Don't tire yourself out now" she pointed out, "We'll need you later too". Chomper seemed to let up his enthusiastic sniffing and gave a small smile.

While still hoping her plan worked, because she knew very well that it could just as easily not work, Harper scanned about from above the group. Surely between Chomper's sniffing and her looking they would find someone! Yet still, all she saw about her was barren, empty land. Oh well, better than huge, angry sharptooth filled land, she supposed.

"Come on, Petrie, let's get a bit higher to get a better look out" she tugged slightly on his wing, but in a way that didn't hinder his flight.

"But...sky puffies up there" Petrie frowned.

"You've been through them before" Harper sighed.

"Yeah, but me not like it" Petrie grimaced. Harper sighed again.

"You're probably fine right there anyway" Littlefoot mediated with the middle ground yet again. After shaking her head at her brother, Harper kept on, flying higher herself. Petrie frowned, seeming to think, and then went...a little bit higher, still between where Harper was and where he would rather be flying from.

As he sniffed about, Chomper suddenly paused, turning to glance off to the side. "Hey, Ruby, I think I smell something over there!" he pointed.

"A good something, or a bad something?" Cera questioned.

Chomper continued sniffing, "It's...um...hmm, that's odd" he frowned. Before the others could ask what was odd, Petrie spotted it (and had he had enough focus to think on it, he'd have made a slight point to Harper on how he only saw what was coming because he was lower down than the sky puffies were, thus, his position was correct actually).

"Guys, you move now!" Petrie cried, darting down.

"Wanna repeat that?" Cera shot out annoyed. It was just then that everyone caught a slight rumbling beneath them. Harper darted down now as well as she noticed something was up.

"Earthshake!" Littlefoot cried.

"No" Petrie pointed back behind them, "it...". Everyone turned as a giant herd of crested swimmers charged around a bend of rocks and straight towards the group. Only...they were moving really fast and not seeming to see the kids or slow.

Ridge's eyes went wide, "A Still Moving" he whispered as if his memory had been jogged. "Off to the side, quickly!" he continued along Petrie's urging of before, rushing off to the side as well and nudging where he could to get the others to do the same. They all raced out of the way and just made it past the zone of danger before the swimmers continued thundering by.

"They...they didn't even stop" Littlefoot breathed, both in catching his breath and wonder of the occurrence.

"Yeah" Ridge drew everyone's attention over to him by speaking, "I've heard of that out here, only seen it a few times. It's a Still Moving, as my dad calls it, happens after a sharptooth's been after the herd and some dinosaurs, still all in a panic, don't realize danger's past and just...keep on running, not even seeing what's ahead of them".

Turning, he caught the others shocked looks, though Ruby looked like it did sound vaguely familiar now that she heard of it. Ridge was about to say more when the sound of something else coming around the bend drew the kid's attention and they next watched as an adult threehorn charged past.

"Why would a threehorn be scaring swimmers?" Chomper couldn't help wondering.

"Hey!" Cera noticed something else and walked out a bit to stare after the threehorn in shock, "that's my sister!".

"Oh, that explain why she scary enough to start a Still Moving" Petrie commented over to Chomper in answer with a small smile. Chomper and a few of the others listening smiled slightly as well. Cera slowly turned a glare Petrie's way.

"Petrie!" Harper sighed. She knew her brother was just trying to even the score a bit on comments on relatives, given all Petrie had said Cera had said the last time Uncle Pterano was in the Valley, but there was a good chance this sister was Dinah and Dana's mother, and if that was true then she didn't deserve the comment. Plus Petrie might just want to look before he spoke. "If you'd pay attention, you'd see she's helping" Harper went on, pointing out where Cera's sister was up ahead on the landscape.

"What is she doing?" Ducky asked as the kids all watched the adult threehorn who, during the kids discussion, had caught up to the Still Moving herd and was now running a wide circle about them. Dust flew up, blurring the scene a bit but when it settled the herd stood there seeming blinked out of their stupor and one of them even talking to Cera's sister, probably apologizing.

"See!" Cera smiled smugly, "She stopped the Still Moving herd" the threehorn walked out, head held high, and Petrie sighed as the score still stood Cera lots him zero. Cera did pause as she walked out though and turned to Harper. The flyer sticking up for her sister first and foremost made the young threehorn's teasing and taunts of before when they were coming out here now not sit well.

"Uh...by the way, Harper...about earlier..." the threehorn fumbled a bit with her words.

Harper smiled, "No problem. So is she Dinah and Dana's mom? Because I thought I recognized her".

Cera laughed as she realized now far that probably spurred the defense. "Yeah, she is" she commented as the kids all walked over.

The adult threehorn had been bidding farewell to the herd she'd effectively stopped and now turned as her little sister and her friends walked up. "Well Cera, what would you be doing out here?" she asked in that half amused and half accusing way an older sister had.

Cera smirked, "Save the over protection for the twins, we do this all the time". With a smile, her sister was about to comment back when her gaze, traveling the kids, spotted out Ruby and Chomper. She didn't really think as much on the first as the second.

"Uh...Cera...is dad aware..." the adult female began. Littlefoot jumped in to explain...again.

"Uh yes...ma'am, he is" the longneck began, "and he's ok...well...he allows it, since Chomper here is probably right up there with Ducky on how nice he is".

Cera's sister laughed, "Alright, alright, calm down the defense there...Uh, Littlefoot, isn't it?" she searched and hoped she got the name right. Littlefoot nodded. "I was just curious, my father's quite opinionated after all". None, not even Cera, could argue this point.

"And this is Ruby" Littlefoot went on introducing the other member of their traveling kid herd that Cera's sister would have missed seeing on her last visit with the twins.

Ruby nodded, "I have never seen anyone stop a Still Moving herd to where it is no longer moving" she complimented the threehorn's previous action.

Cera's sister smiled, "Oh yeah, I picked up on the trick a while back and then when I saw that herd of swimmers rush by I figured I best halt them". The kids nodded, a few smiling still impressed by the feat. "Had to leave the herd behind to trail them, though but that's ok Dinah and Dana are well watched by their father and I should be able to find the herd again by the end of the day. Speaking of which, you didn't answer my first question, Cera. What are you and you're friends doing out here?".

The kids all glanced to each other. Harper decided to go out on a thin current a bit (to use a flying expression). "We...we're looking for those two runners, Veck and Lars, again" she said.

"Not the same two runners who took you, Ridge and the twins?!" Cera's sister gasped. The Matriarch's promise to Ridge's father to inform all of the affected herds of her sons' trespasses had of course been kept.

Harper looked hesitant, "Y-yes Ma'am...".

"Why Harper...".

"I know!" the young flyer quickly interrupted, "trust me, I thought it all out before even telling Ridge and Littlefoot, but...I had to! Their parents are dying, because they had to banish their sons for what they did and make them think they hated them. I-if I could just find them and tell them...I...I have to try!"

Cera's sister was silent for a bit and her shocked look made way for a softer smile, "Well that's very kind of you..." she admitted before frowning in worry and determination once more, "but no, I'm sorry, as both a mother myself and not to mention being personally responsible to my father on Cera's welfare, I must insist you kids head back immediately".

"Nothing doing" Cera said, "come on Harper, we were making ok time before and...". She made to walk on, but her sister blocked her path.

"Cera...". The threehorn hated that tone from her own father. Not to mention her sister.

"Don't you have twins to watch" Cera walked around her sister. The adult moved in front again.

"You don't get it!" Cera sighed, "we do this all the time and we always make it back! We'll be fine!". The young one went to walk on, but her sister paused her again with her leg so that Cera was just walking in one spot as she tried to shove past.

"Cera! Now is not the time for dad's unusual brand of stubbornness!" her sister told her.

"You're the one being stubborn!" Cera shouted back. Harper sighed, she hadn't wanted to cause all this. Meanwhile Chomper suddenly began sniffing up a storm. The others turned.

"Chomper what is it?" Littlefoot asked.

The little sharptooth frowned as he kept sniffing, "I don't know...some kind of sharptooth I haven't smelled before...but..." he suddenly stilled, eyes going wide.

"What?" Ridge asked.

Chomper glanced over to Ruby, "Uh Ruby...didn't you say sharpteeth with a stingy smell were bad..." he began.

Ruby frowned a bit, "Well I heard once that a sharptooth that smells like a sharptooth but also hurts your nose like it bit it without biting it is what a Spitting kind of sharptooth is said to smell like" she answered. "It is there stingy breath".

Chomper seemed hit by the full effects now as he scrunched his nose and shook his head as if to clear the smell, "Ugh, yeah that'd be it!" he half whined.

Littlefoot, Ridge, Ducky and Petrie's countenances seemed to fall as one and Spike tried to duck his head down into the ground.

"I didn't want to find one of those again!" Harper made a dash over to Cera and her sister. She landed on the adult's frill, tugging to gain attention. "Sorry to break up the discussion but we have a problem!" she exclaimed.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Really liked how you made a big sister for Cera to explain what happened with Dinah and Danah. Much different than what I was thinking up for them that I might or might not use. Liked the little bit of sibling rivalry you put in there.

Looks like next chapter will be exciting, yay!
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
((Still here, still updating :DD Ok, so here...we find out if Chomper's nose is just acting up or if it's bad...and I think you already know which one it is ;) Also, another violence warning for this chapter, just incase. Angering threehorns isn't advised...))

V:With a Vengence

The "problem" had soon enough stepped out to confirm everyone's worst fears. Cera's sister stood there in front of the children, keeping a wary eye on the small sharptooth that was indeed a Spitter as the predator also slowly walked out, taking stock of the situation and what he faced.

"You...you don't think it could be...the same one?" Ridge voiced what most of the seven kids familiar with a Spitting Sharptooth's attack were already thinking.

"I doubt we're that unlucky!" Cera muttered, even if she'd thought it too.

"I was just thinking he's probably what spooked the swimmers..." Harper whispered.

"Uh...Chomper" Littlefoot glanced down to the younger sharptooth, "any chance he might listen to you telling him to go away?".

"I'll try..." Chomper peered around at the Spitter from around Cera's sister and roared out a general inquiry into intent and request to be left alone. The Spitter gave a low growl, crouching as an almost smirk came to his face. Everyone glanced to Chomper, eager to hear what was said.

"Uh...he said not for a longneck herd...it's a saying" Chomper shrugged a bit embarrassed. While he was relaying this, the Spitter growled out something and, after looking shocked, Chomper shot something back.

"What?" everyone, Cera's sister included, asked.

Chomper frowned, "Don't worry, I told him no way! He said he might leave us alone if we just let him at 'either of the flyers or the full plated spiketail'". As was expected, Petrie, Harper and Ridge looked the most stunned by this.

"Why us?!" Petrie squeaked.

Cera almost held back her comment, but she'd always had a problem with self control like that, "Maybe he's picky". She didn't turn but felt the looks sent towards her. The Spitter was crouching lower to the ground and everyone watched tensely, trying to anticipate his attack.

A spit off to one side, clearly seeming to try and aim for Ridge, was the first move made. The kids all scurried to avoid though. Cera's sister kept herself between them and the sharptooth, knowing she could only risk going for a strike when the predator came within distance, otherwise it would leave the children exposed. Oh if only her herd were here too, this one sharptooth would be no issue!

Similarly the Spitter couldn't just charge out. Immobilizing the adult would be his quickest way to victory but he also knew from experience of living this long as a lone hunter that unless he did it right he would only risk being charged. His first major injury when younger had actually been from a threehorn, whom he discovered were actually more deadly when charging blind than when they could see their target.

Plus, in using all advantages, he hadn't fully used his first. <What are you even playing at, kid?> the inquiry was sent to Chomper as he watched the group recollect themselves from his first attack, <We're one and the same. Why I was hunting by myself when not but a bit older than you. You've never seen these docile leaf eaters in a charge, trust me you'd be safer with me on your side rather than...>.

He was cut off as a bellow filled the air. Cera's sister knew it was most likely useless, knew her herd was a full days walk away, probably, as she'd said, but she also knew she had to make the attempt. Again she sent out the distress call and prayed she wouldn't just attract more trouble.

<Loud mouth grass guzzler...> the Spitter hissed in annoyance.

In the pause, Chomper gave back his own answer though. <I'm not letting you near my friends!>

<Fine! But you know if I don't get ya that threehorn herd she's calling will just trample you in mis-identification anyway> the Spitter crouched once more. <Eitherway I'll clean up. Which reminds me, best get back to the matter at hand. You won't escape me again...> he stared directly towards the young leaf eaters.

Gearing up, he made a mock charge, trying to get the adult threehorn to falter back and open up a shot, but instead she just lowered her head to guard more. With a screech, the Spitter leapt off out of the way and paced, snarling again.

<It won't end that easily...> he muttered, <I've never missed collecting little appetizers like you; not until that spiketail and flyer had to go getting ideas. I'm a Spitter! You don't beat me and not face consequences!> his gaze zeroed in on Ridge, Petrie and Harper again. He'd been half serious with his taunt of before of trading the others safety for these three. He knew from reaction more than just similar kinds that these three belonged to the two leaf eaters to have bested him. The younger spiketail was separate. Only the older one had shouted out when he'd almost had the adult back in that pass.

<Let's start with a jab for a jab shall we!> the Spitter suddenly charged in an unexpected wide circle from the side before the adult threehorn could react. The kids scattered and the Spitter noted with satisfaction that the little brown flyer was right within his line. He aimed and fired a shot directly at Petrie.

Harper gasped, seeming to almost see it all in slow motion. She dove down and collided with her brother, knocking him out of the way and also thankfully continuing along with him as the shot flew past just over them and they both hit the ground. Harper tumbled over towards where Ruby and Ducky were on one side of the Spitter and Petrie rolled over towards Littlefoot and the others.

The Spitter screeched in indignation and geared up again, turning towards the three girls and shooting out another deadly spit towards Harper.

Quicker than anyone could take stock of though, Ruby proved her own knowledge of the Mysterious Beyond and tactics against all types of sharpteeth. She scooped up Harper and even Ducky, seeming to give her orders in the next breath as she turned. "Hold your breath!" she was, for once, brief. No sooner had both Ducky and Harper complied and taken in a gulp of air than Ruby hit her destination of a thankfully nearby pond of water. Again, the shot continued on past harmlessly, missing the now submerged target and even where it next hit the water, of no effect.

The Spitter's previous screeches had nothing on the one he delivered now! "He's upset because you guys got away before too!" Chomper took the moment to tell Littlefoot and the others still on the dry ground, covering his ears as the Spitter screeched. Cera's sister had by now rushed over to get between them and the Sharptooth and she frowned as she heard this. The same Spitter that had been after her twins?

Under the water, Ruby scanned for their best option, knowing that Harper couldn't navigate under water, yet under still seemed their best bet. She turned the flyer hatchling over to Ducky's grip and aid, pointing to communicate without letting out her breath to an underwater passage inside a nearby slab of rock the pond ran up against. It most likely led somewhere a safe distance from the Spitter.

With a nod, Ducky took off, gently pulling Harper along as the flyer tried out this underwater flying and wondered at how swimmers even moved through water in the first place.

With Ducky on her way, Ruby surfaced to check on the others. She found them making their way to the ledges that were the top part of this rock structure just above the pond. Glancing to find the Spitter again she saw Cera's sister had the sharptooth well taken care of and was covering the children's escape.

"How are you, Ducky and Harper?" Littlefoot asked.

"We are good and not hit which is good" Ruby answered. "We found an underwater cave that probably leads out the way you are all heading and so we should all meet out together! We will see you when we all reach there!". Ridge and Littlefoot nodded.

"Well then let's get on that so we can all ditch the sharptooth!" Cera prodded the boys she was left with along to get them to move to the other side of the cliff. Ruby dove back down to check on Ducky and Harper's progress.

Seeing his quarry escaping again, the Spitter made one more desperate lunge after them. He had not learned all of his lessons on fighting threehorns though. With a charge of her own, Cera's sister made contact with the Spitter's hip with her nose horn, flinging him up and into the air. All of her rage went into the shove; at the attack on her little sister and her friends; At the previous attack on her own two twins...however caring a sister the threehorn was, her motherly instincts made this one the clincher to the sharptooth's fate.

The Spitter went an impressive distance up before coming back down to the ground, hard. He was definitely now limp in at least one leg as the sound of the crash told. He wouldn't be a threat anymore for the moment, atleast, so Cera's sister turned her attention to where the children had gone and tried to not lose track of them.

"Cera! Kids!" she called, rushing over to try and follow. The ledge was too narrow for her though and she found herself trapped on that side. She didn't know how long her keeping the Spitter at bay had taken, but there was no answer to her call.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, I was over three weeks late this time? Sorry again, I just keep missing this thread when it's updated. Oh well.

I liked this chapter. IT was really actiony and exciting. Interesting that the spitter was the same one, and I liked the conversation between him and Chomper.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks, and I think you said my title throws you and you don't always recoqnize this had been updated, for why you would miss it. Sorry about that by the way. I would give it a less confusing title, but I think it might be too late for that :-)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
(Here's Ch 6 along with my apologies for being so late!)

VI: In Pursuit

At first it had been assumed by those in the Great Valley that the children had just headed off early to play or such, yet as time stretched on and no one could spot them anywhere, this theory made way for a much more likely scenario.

"It's just...they've never wandered off this early. Well except for those few times..." Ducky's mother said. There were sighs of agreement .

"Yes" Grandma Longneck nodded, "This is just not like anything Littlefoot has ever done before".

"Are you kidding me!" Topsy chimed up with, "he does this all the time! No telling where he's hauled them off now!".

It was well for him that Grandpa Longneck didn't get defensive on a good day, "No one is saying the children haven't wandered before, Mr. Threehorn" he began, "but you must admit they usually are not so...prompt with their explorations".

"I'll admit, as he's already proven in our time here, Ridge is as apt to explore as the others" the spiketail's mother sighed, "but are we sure we checked everywhere in the Valley?".

"We've circled over numerous times" Petrie's mother answered her. There were more sighs and the discussion went on on what to do now. From near his sister but still sort of detached from the group, Pterano just watched silently. They were doing it again. The never ending discussion when they should have been getting on with action. Ok, they weren't in the Valley, what was the next course of action? Apparently discuss how unlikely it was they weren't in the Valley and get up a plan for searching again.

Honestly! His own sister falling into this trap had always astonished him. Where was that resourcefulness that had boldly taken off after him during the Stone of Cold Fire episode? Thought of that time brought back a bitter gut wrench. Not to mention how, despite the arguing being pointless, he hadn't exactly been right the last time he called them out on it...

Still...he was doing nothing if not attempting to do everything better this time. Boldly he turned to the still discussing group. "Has the Mysterious Beyond hit anyone as a possibility?" he asked. He had to admit, he didn't imagine Harper as anxious to go back out there, but along with the others it was possible.

Again, he was shocked by how a group of dinosaurs who came from the lands now known as the Mysterious Beyond made such a fuss over it's mention. There were gasps and more worried muttering from the surrounding dinosaurs. The affected kids parents of course taking this proposed explanation in silence as they were use to this possibility.

"Of course, because you'd know all about kids being lost in the Mysterious Beyond, wouldn't you" Topsy answered the flyer with a steady glare. Pterano had more important matters to focus on than to let that barb drive home.

"One benefit of my exile is that I know many of the lands in the Mysterious Beyond like the back of my wing" he went on, "I could quickly aid a scouting party if we wished to follow this line of...".

"No more groups with you in charge!" Topsy strode forward, "wasn't last time bad enough? Honestly Pterano we're trying to salvage what members we have left, not lose the kids and a scouting herd!".

Now the threehorn was becoming harder to ignore. "Well by the time you are all quite finished arguing..." Pterano began.

"Enough" his sister cut them both off, "Now if the kids really have taken off to the Mysterious Beyond..." she paused here as well and sighed. They were where they were left so many other times, if that was the case. Just waiting and worrying.

Pterano placed a hand on her shoulder, "They are all but at an age where they can handle themselves" he said, in a pure try at reassurance. Whether his own over protective thoughts had bought this explanation too was another matter. He glanced to the Council again, "I understand your being cautious and having to plan out how to search beyond the walls, it's why I'm proposing you let me aid and...".

"I won't have anyone call me a coward where my daughter's safety is concerned, and especially not you!" Topsy declared.

Pterano took in a breath, "That was not where I was alluding with my statement at all".

After having let all these thoughts sit a bit, Grandpa Longneck finally spoke. "Pterano is correct, and if we are required to search the Mysterious Beyond for the children, his own knowledge could prove useful, especially..." he went on hesitantly, "since he is the only one of us at liberty to search for any extended time in the Mysterious Beyond...". Everyone else had either age, or another set of hatchlings tying them down, as was always the problem when the children wandered. Even Ridge's father, with no other children, had recently had a minor slip making his back leg act up and thus counting him out on account of being slow.

"You're not honestly suggesting...!" Topsy began.

"Pterano" Grandpa Longneck ignored the threehorn and turned to the flyer, "do I hear what you say correct in that you are offering to go in the stead of those who can't and search for the children?" he clarified. The flyer nodded. Almost as soon as he'd finished the action, he felt the weight of all he took on settle on him. This was more than just a "favor". Here it was. His chance to prove himself, his chance to do right.

He swallowed and forced his voice to work, though, "I can do little else, Sir" he said, "both to make it up to all of you, whom I've hurt" his eyes moved to take in the collected dinosaurs of the Valley, "as well as for my own niece and nephew's sake. I...have done little right by Petrie and even less right by Harper, who, bless her, somehow pulled faith in me even while knowing all about me" he glance down, then over to his sister, "I...shall bring them home, I promise" he all but whispered, holding her gaze and then slowly glancing to Ducky and Spike's mother, the spiketail's, even Topsy and finally Grandpa Longneck.

What the elder longneck saw gave him hope that Pterano did perhaps, for once, mean his words. He nodded his permission and commissioning of the flyer. Pterano gave a small smile, then his gaze drifted to his sister again. She simply stared back at him, so many emotions going past at once. Her fists clenched slightly, in utter worry. "Pterano..." she shut her eyes and then faced him again, "you always sound like you mean what you say, please...for once please...no bravado. This is my son and daughter were talking about".

Pterano nodded, then, hazard a glance to Mr. Threehorn. His rival looked like it killed him, putting this much faith in him and his actions. It did. Yet as the threehorn stepped forward, his voice was quiet and subdued. "If you fail...what I said I'd do to you will be nothing in comparison to what I actually[\i] do...", for once he didn't shout at the flyer, but the quiet tone just carried more weight in the threat.

Pterano nodded, "I won't fail, this time, I promise you. All of you" he glanced about. Then, he flapped up to head off. Well, time to make all those words he'd said count for once.

As they watched him go, Topsy sighed, "You sure about this..." he glanced to Grandpa Longneck.

The elder longneck sighed, "As hesitant as I am to admit it, Pterano has a point; he has spent both the time since our own travels to the Great Valley as well as the dictated five Cold Times out in the Mysterious Beyond". Grandpa Longneck paused for another sigh, "I have my own reservations but...we have to start somewhere in keeping our own promise and actually allowing him the chance of integrating back in after his exile has passed. An exile he still never broke, it must be noted, though I heard there were temptations from small hatchlings".

With a sigh, Topsy faced the wall the flyer had disappeared over once more and merely grumbled once more. "Well...supposing he does...do it. What am I suppose to say to him then? He will still be...him you know"

Grandpa Longneck smiled, "Don't worry my old friend, I feel sure you can get through this. You once found it impossible getting on with me, if you'll recall".

"I still do!" the threehorn shot out, "Hmm, well, I should go check on Tricia again" he strode off. Grandpa Longneck watched him go with a small smile.

"He will do it, won't he" Ducky's mother whispered to Mrs. Flyer.

Her friend sighed, "He...better".

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This chapter was good. Pterano's being put to the test, it seems. Mr. Threehorn's as great as ever. I just love that old fart. :lol Not much else to comment on here.

But at least I'm not 3 weeks late! :p
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
(Wow, three months between updates. Sorry. Yeah, I'm still here, just since things lagged, so did my actually remembering to update this. But fear not I shall get to the end of it :DD)

VII: Hope Floats

Just as Harper had felt she could probably not hold her breath another moment she and Ducky came up into air once more. They had swam through the tunnel out into another pond it seemed and instantly the flyer spotted out shoreline and made for this, pulling herself onto land once more and catching her breath.

Ducky was just behind her. "You are a very good breath holder, you are!" the swimmer smiled, glancing over to Harper.

Letting out a breathless laugh, and then turning to Ducky, Harper finally caught enough air to speak, "You have a compliment for everything, don't you? But thanks" she next smiled back.

"Well, that went very well considering nothing went wrong that could have gone wrong under the water" Ruby said as she also came up behind the two girls and walked onto the shore.

"Yes, and Harper is going to be a swimming flyer now, I bet" Ducky went on with how impressed she was with Petrie's sister's keeping up in that tunnel.

"No, I'm not going there just yet" Harper laughed, now finally sitting up and glancing about her as Ruby and Ducky also took stock of their surroundings.

"Hmm...I am not seeing Littlefoot and the others here where we are..." Ruby said.

"Yeah..." Harper glanced over the way they had come from, "and I don't see that same ledge either". There was rock at the edge of the pond and they had come through that rock, but the surrounding lands didn't look at all similar and the rock wasn't shaped the same.

"The tunnel was very long" Ducky said, "maybe...we are more steps than we thought from the others".

"I'll fly up and see if I can maybe see where we should go from here" Harper suggested, shaking her wings dry enough for flying at least and beginning to flap up.

"Be careful while you are not sure if flying is something you can do" Ruby cautioned, "I do not know much about what makes flyers fly and not fly very well".

"I'm still learning it all myself" Harper said, "but I think I'm ok" she kept on higher and higher. Finally she reached a spot where she could see from above the twisting maze of rock they had come through, and it was very twisty. She squinted, trying to figure out from where she was where they had all been before. She saw the other pond...but it was, as Ducky had said "a few steps away" it looked. Quite a few steps.

"Yeah, I think the tunnel kind of made us stray off..." she called down to Ruby and Ducky, "I can see where we were before but it's probably a bit of a walk" she flapped back down. "We could still probably do it though". The other two frowned a bit but nodded.

"Can we reach there on a flat part that is not all tall rock or is over the rock the only way to get over to the other side?" Ruby asked.

"No, we should just have to follow alongside the rock and then over on one part" Harper replied. "I can't tell from here how tall that part is, but I think it's not too big maybe".

"Well if it is the same as I saw the others walk over before, that did not look too bad when I saw it before" Ruby said. They started off, with the rock ledge on their left, Harper flying up just above the top so they wouldn't miss the cross over point when they were closer to the other pond.

~~~~

Water. Why had it had to be water, Petrie pondered as with trudging steps Littlefoot and Ridge led them on, hoping to find something, anything, where waiting by the otherside of the pool had yielded nothing. Petrie didn't know what they hoped to find though, if Ducky and even Ruby's expertise in water hadn't been able to get them to the other end of that tunnel then...that only meant one thing...after all, flyers weren't known for their swimming abilities.

Petrie glance down, why hadn't he shot down Harper's overly optimistic plan to begin with! He should have know! What, his sister made it through one adventure like experience and he thought she could handle more?! Again, he seemed to have failed her, as well as Ducky and Ruby with her.

Almost as if she were picking up on the feelings of the flyer on her back, Cera suddenly paused. "Ooh, this is hopeless Littlefoot! What do we honestly think we're going to find out here?!".

Both the longneck and spiketail up front turned to her. "We...we have to keep searching, Cera" Littlefoot said, "there...there's still hope". He noted the look of lost morale among them, and how could he expect different? Spike and even Chomper had both lost a sister, Ruby more than filing such a spot in the young sharptooth's life, and for Petrie both a sister and the closest friend out of all his others had been lost all at once.

"I...listen when have I told you guys stuff I didn't believe?". Cera was already looking to him, but now the three boys glanced up as well. "I just can't believe that what we're all thinking is what really happened. Ducky's too good a swimmer for that! And Ruby lived out here just about as long as Ridge before moving to the Valley. Well find something, I promise you!".

This wasn't the end of his speech, and he had planned to go on with a defense of Harper as well, but Petrie's own worried doubts and guilt cut in. "Harper not!" he suddenly said, with a pained expression, "she...she never go anywhere 'sept when she taken. She...she...".

"Petrie" it was Ridge's turn for lifting morale, as he walked over to look directly into the flyers eyes with a small smile, "come on, are you seriously doubting the sister that had enough skill to knock both you and her out of the way of a Spitter’s attack?". He’d meant the reminder to be a good thing, but saw Petrie flinch in guilt again at the memory. "She’s fine, Petrie, I’m sure of it" he sent the flyer a reassuring smile.

Petrie tried to return said smile, but found only moderate success.

"Come on” Littlefoot found a small stream of water flowing from the pond on along the ledge, “let’s keep to the water and maybe we’ll find something that’ll tell us something”.

“That all still seems way too iffy” Cera said as she nonetheless followed along with the rest of them.

~~~~

As Pterano continued on, once more out in the Mysterious Beyond on his own, he scanned about with more purpose than he'd ever had in examining the ground below. Petrie and Harper wouldn't be flying too high up if with their friends after all, and his nephew's fear of sky puffies was sure to keep him down low.

He had been unaware the children were this frequent of explorers, even in what he did know of them, and Ridge must be quite the one with words if he'd convinced Harper to come out here. Not that Pterano was blaming the young spiketail. Adventure and stretching ones wings and experience was a good thing...most times.

It was just the amount of time that was puzzling and worrying. Did the children often take off for an entire day with no word? There was so much he did know, not being an integrated member of the community yet. Thought on this fact and all his laments was a distraction he couldn't afford right now though. With a sigh and focusing once more, he flapped on.

It was after a moment or so more that he thought he spotted a figure. Squinting he flew down closer, noting it was a leaf-eater and someone he could possibly inquire from if they has seen the children. Flapping over to the leaf-eater, a threehorn, he cleared his throat, "Um, excuse me Miss, I don't mean to interupt..." he could see the lone threehorn was apparently bent on reaching the summit of a sheer cliff of rock. She raised a foot once more to try and push herself closer to the top, rock sliding out from under her and her foot hold not holding. Luckily she'd put only testing weight upon the rock.

With a sigh, she tried for another, steadier point, if one existed, throwing a distracted, "I'm quite busy" to the flyer.

"Ah yes, I see that" Pterano went on, "but I was merly curious...", another rock broke forth and went tumbling down the cliff, "if you've seen a pair of children" the flyer went on. Normally he would not push a threehorn, but this was very important after all.

"I've seen more than I care to today!" the threehorn seemed to throw out some personal inside...well if she were less annoyed it would have been a joke. With another sigh, she seemed to catch herself though, and turned to him, "My appolagize, Sir. I am...hurriedly trying to scale this cliff to catch back up with my sister and her friends...though at this rate going around may be quicker" she muttered, "I've seen no lost children other than them" she went on aiding with what information she had.

Pterano nodded, watching as the threehorn went on, "Well Thankyou anyway, I suppose Littlefoot must have taken them a different way then..." he half muttered to himself, glancing to try and find which direction to try next. The threehorn had went to put her foot down again, and paused at this, losing both that and her other footing and tumbling down off the cliff, thankfully from only a bit of a ways up.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I had to reread some chapters to rehash, but I've done so now. :) Good to see Harper surviving all that... even though she's not a swimmer. :yes Gotta watch the punctuation every now and then, as you're sometimes forgetting periods and using commas with periods, when only one is needed, but overall it's not too bad. :) There's a few spelling errors here and there as well, and some repetitive words, so might want to keep an eye on those as well. :)

Glad to see you're still updating this, and I'm looking forward to seeing it all the way through. :) This was kind of like a build up chapter.. though it seems kind of ominous too, that they're about to enter into a very twisted (in both senses I guess) area. Still saw some Pterano, even if it was brief. XD :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
(Thanks Pterano, and Vonboy for previous reviews :). Glad this is still being followed, and yes, I've always had trouble with the nitty gritty of grammar, hopefully this one I didn't miss any in the editing)

VIII: Not Good News

"Goodness Miss, are you alright" Pterano flew down to check on the threehorn now standing. She shook herself of the dust she had collected in her tumble.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine" she said, looking embarrassed of the fall. In truth she was, a bit. Even grown now and having learned for herself to see past her father's bias that threehorn's were always in control, a bit of her pride suffered in the mishap. She was able to smile past it though, "It just startled me" she went on, "to hear that we are on the trail of the same children".

"The same..." Pterano took in these facts, "Oh, then Cera is your sister you mentioned being after earlier".

She nodded.

"Yes" Pterano went on, "I recall now hearing of Topsy having an older daughter already having found a herd even when we traveled together. The twins' mother then?" he went on putting things together, before catching the situation and how he digressed.

The threehorn had nodded to both his questions, though. "Oh, but forgive me, I should really be focusing on the children" Pterano said, "You have seen them then? Not long ago?" the flyer questioned, hope coming to his features.

The threehorn's smile faltered at this. "Y-yes Sir...I ran into them after leaving my own herd to stop a herd of swimmers in a Still Moving. They had just made their way to that spot in their own travels I guess. I confronted Cera on what they were doing out here and then...oh I should have been able to handle it better!" she shook her head, all the facts of what she knew jumbling together in her head, and guilt over the last hitting "I...I..".

"Calm yourself" Pterano, despite the worry this reaction was causing, cut in and soothed gently, "Take a breath and, please, just tell me what you know".

Cera's sister complied, and after a moment and breath more, went on, "It was after I stopped the herd, the children all came rushing up, no doubt you know all of who it was out here" she glanced to the flyer. Pterano nodded.

"As I said, I...asked them what they were doing out here, and, to no surprise they seemed not to want to give an answer, but then it was Harper who spoke up". Not surprising, Pterano mused. "She said it was her idea". Very surprising!

"She...apparently the leaders of the runner herd are...not doing well?" the threehorn half questioned.

Pterano nodded, "Yes, they...are struck with grief, but I don't see..." he shook his head, looking perplexed and telling[\i] himself he couldn't see the connection to this and the children wandering. Truth be told, his mind was already trying to tell him an answer he wouldn't listen to.

"She really does have such a heart, if naively guided" Cera's sister went on, with a soft smile. Pterano felt his heart rate quicken. What had she done...

"She...wishes to find those two, Veck and Lars, again to try and tell them of their parents". No! Pterano shut his eyes. How had he not seen the signs, even that night before, when Harper acted so tense? He'd known more of the situation than any, if any should have seen and stopped the child, it should have been him.

"Where..." it seemed to take a moment for the flyer to find his voice, but soon he did, "where did they head?". The even more hesitant look to come to Topsy's daughter's face sent a chill through Pterano.

"Just past this cliff face, no doubt somewhere on the other side. They fled there after...after the Spitter came..." Cera's sister informed. Pterano didn't move. It wasn't possible, his mind told him.

"I...", the threehorn glanced down as she thought on the rest of the news she had to give and how little she knew for certain.

"Madame, please" Pterano softly prodded, much as he wanted her to not go on, he needed for her too as well.

"He...through his taunting that young Sharptooth with them I found out, he was the same that came after them and the twins before, and the young Sharptooth said he was upset that they managed to allude him. I...managed to cripple him though" she lifted her head a bit proud, though still looking solemn. "But not before...after he tried to hit Petrie, and Harper knocked him aside, he tried to hit her and the other girls, Ducky and that other friend of theirs Ruby, but thankfully the fast runner knows a few things and dove to safety in a local pond where his spit didn't get them". A breath Pterano had been holding was let out, until he recalled the danger with this scenario too.

"A tunnel below apparently lead out on the other side, or so the children hoped. They went over to try and meet up with the girls again. I was too busy taking care of and keeping the Spitter from them, and by the time I turned to them, they had gone out of earshot. I was just trying now, once again, to see if I couldn't find them once more".

"So you don't even know if...they made it out of the tunnel..." Pterano asked in a low, monotone.

"I...found no sign they wouldn't have at the pond" the threehorn assured, "I'm sure...they must have". But she wasn't.

Pterano took to the skies again, peering to see if he could catch anything past the cliffs. He didn't see anything right away but then thought that perhaps he did. He squinted.

"What is it?!" the threehorn asked.

Pterano just shook his head though, "I don't know, but it's a place to start" he flapped off. Cera's sister quickly followed.

~~~~

As the girls pressed on they were unaware that all three groups now searching for eachother were around the same long cavern passage and many steps from each other, but not as far as they all thought. They were also unaware that they were moving ever away from both the others with Littlefoot as well as away from the grown-ups. This wasn’t a fault in direction on either of the kid groups parts. Sense out of the twist of rock was impossible to come by in terms of any sort of direction and going back where one "was".

Harper sighed, still seeing nothing as she scanned. Well...she suddenly realized, nothing living. The young flyer squinted, suddenly spotting something other and besides the sheer rock wall and cliff faces.

"Hey, uh, Ruby, Ducky..." she pointed out the thing to have suddenly come before her line of vision. A cave. Set in the rocks. As Ruby and Ducky came up besides to also view the structure, Harper spoke what she knew they were probably thinking on as well. "It could lead out without us having to go over, or...just be the home of something big".

"Hmm..." Ruby studied the structure, "Well, there is no way to know which of the possibilities is the right one without going in and knowing by seeing it and knowing" she said.

"Well, yeah" Harper landed, "but...what if it is the home of something big, with sharpteeth?". Petrie would have quaked while saying this, but Harper just said it, with a nervous look but no real failing of composure.

"I guess, without seeing, we will not really know" Ducky added. She seemed to be steeling herself for an action performed often, going in to check, as the small four footer of her friends who could be stealthy.

"Sharpteeth don’t really look up as much as you would think" Harper suddenly pointed out, pausing Ducky as she noticed the swimmer getting ready to offer to go in, no doubt. "What I mean is, if I fly in to look...it might go best". It was clear from her look she wasn’t keen on doing this, but was prepared.

"You do not have to do that, Harper, since it is something that we can avoid and since you have already taken risks that were risky" Ruby bent to whisper.

"Yeah, and you both got me out of that, because you know about water. I’ll take the risk where flying high seems needed. It’s the least I can and should do". Much as they wanted to, Ruby and Ducky could not find an argument for this.

"Be careful, Harper" Ducky whispered as the flyer took off, though.

She smiled back, "Don’t worry, I will". Taking a breath to steady herself, she flapped in, keeping close to the ceiling of the cave to avoid detection and even using the stone teeth to aid her in this. She half flew half darted, hoping to soon come upon a beam of light from the other end of the cave.

As she flew on, she didn’t see this, though and soon came to the literal end of the road, bumping into the back of the cave. Harper couldn’t stop her face from falling in disappointment. After a bit, she turned towards the entrance to flap out and inform Ruby and Ducky that this wasn’t an easy way over, when she suddenly caught noise up ahead coming from the cavern entrance.

“What do you kids think you’re doing here?!”.

Harper gasped as she herd the stern voice call out. Oh no! Ducky and Ruby had hit trouble! Quickly she flapped towards the front of the cave again.