The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Spike's biological parents

Guest · 5 · 1503

Kron the Iguanadon

I know it's something that we never talk about, but it's been nagging in my head and I feel like I have to make a topic on it. Mama Swimmer says they died in the earthshake in movie 8, but really, if you look at where Spike's egg was found, it seemed a ways from where the earthshake occured. That's not saying they had no chance of perishing in it---the earthshake could probably have been felt for miles! But suppose they were forced to abandon their one egg that had not hatched, and never reached the Great Valley. Interesting concept, and one that would make an interesting film idea if he were ever to run into them during an adventure in the mysterious beyond.

I personally, however, would have been much happier if they'd included his birth in the opening sequence along with the rest (minus Petrie, whom they should've showed too), and then have the gang find him later on, and we'd realize he's been orphaned too. I mean, I always thought he was the same age as the rest of the gang. I still do not understand why Spike suddenly seems so big when he comes out of the grass, or maybe he was that size when he hatched and it was just hard to tell. Anyways, responses are much appreciated!

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I can't remember the name, but I know somebody did a fan-fic that addressed what happened to the various adults on the way to the Great Valley. I only remember a few elements - Nod's father got killed shortly before arrival, Topps gradually lost most of his family to incidents along the way, etc - but I believe at one point a pair of Spiketails were mentioned; the female was grieving, and the male explained that he'd forced her to run for it and abandon their egg when the Earthquake happened. I don't remember what happened to them; I should seek out the fic again!

Although at least one storybook suggested that Spike's parents made it to the Valley and he later found them by following their large footprints, every other material suggests they died or went somewhere other than the Valley. Since it's unlikely that a parent would abandon a child like that*, it could be that they were killed by a Sharptooth, but they intentionally led the Sharptooth away from their nest so their child would have a fighting chance.

*Remember, Littlefoot and Cera were on the wrong side because they were fleeing from Sharptooth. Ducky's family likely stampeded and didn't realise they'd lost a family member until they stopped. Petrie...of course he was left behind because he couldn't fly away, which suggests they left as a result of the Earthquake. Being able to fly, they would have been able to return for him after things settled down, which suggests that Petrie fell from their nest and became lost amongst the rocks - when his family searched for him, they couldn't find him and were forced to move on.

As for the size change, yeah, I think that's an error. Although, Ducky did remark that Spike was a late-bloomer (perhaps his parents thought his egg was a dud and left?). Perhaps he's been lazing in his egg so long he's turned out way bigger than a normal young Spiketail. Also, I suppose a Spiketail's metabolism allows them to grow quickly by eating more? Could explain why Spike's always eating - it's an instinct to grow up and get bigger.

Kron the Iguanadon

Thanks, much appreciated. It's weird, by movie 6 all of the gang has at least 1 missing family member. We didn't know who Littlefoot's dad was for the longest time, we don't know for sure what happened to Cera's mom and sisters, we don't know what happened to Spike's real parents, we don't know what happened to Petrie's dad, and finally Ducky's dad has been missing ever since 6! I hope if we ever get another sequel one of these might be answered...

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Here we go; found the fic: LBT OneHalf

Boy, talk about remembering things wrong! In this, Spike's father never wanted to be a parent, and..."disposed" of the eggs whenever his mate was away. In the end, she caught on and hid Spike's egg, but got killed by a Sharptooth. After this, he turned his life around and had a son - Tippy.

Funnily enough, I doubt that's what really happened. I prefer the idea of them stampeding away and accidentally losing the egg. We see several herds fall into the Great Divide when it opens up; perhaps his parents were one of these? Except...no, the egg was too far away from the divide for that to work. Perhaps a Sharptooth catching up with them is more likely...explains why there's no bodies, and would a Sharptooth be interested in an egg if he saw one? He'd probably just squish it, I suppose.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Any number of explanations can fit.  a sharptooth got them, they lead one off and could not find their way back to the nest before before the gang got there, or others.