The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie's dad

Guest · 25 · 5572

Bruton the Iguanodon

So we know what happeened to Littlefoots dad, have topics on what happened to Cera's mom and Ducky's dad, I have a topic about what happened to Spike's biological parents, yet there's no topic for what  happened to Petrie's dad. What do you think he was like? I doubt he perished in the earthshake (flyers were the least vulnerable there!). And what color do u think he was? I read a fic in which someone wrote that he was black. Likt Petrie in the first few moments we see, him don't know why.  :)  Anyways, what do you think?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
There was a fanfic many years ago, The Land Beyond Time, that offered an explanation. From what I remember, Pterano is Petrie's father. What happened is that Pterano and his brother met Petrie's mom and Pterano and her end up having kids. But he was young and rambunctious, wanting to explore the world. So he and his brother came to an agreement; that his brother will be the father and Pterano will be the uncle. And the "fake father" ends up killed in a rock slide while trying to protect his family. Petre finds out about this and becomes furious at Pterano, and I think he was upset with his mom too for pretending to be Pterano's sister.

So far this is the only explanation I know of that someone tried to give for Petrie's father.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Thanks. I had the weird idea in my head around a year and half ago of Pterano turning out to be Petrie's dad. Guess we fans think alike.  ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I wish I could link you to the fanfic, but sadly it was removed from FF.Net. Not on the author's own accord; FF.Net has a ban on script formatted stories, which Land Beyond Time had.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
My thoughts of Petrie's father are sort of influenced by the BBC documentary "walking with dinosaurs" and the fact that we haven't ever seen a flyer father figure in the entire series. Scientists assume that there hasn't been much of a "family life" among most Pterosaurs and that it was more about the instinct of "continuation of the own lineage" rather than sweet love and family for them. Unromantic as this may be from a human perspective I could imagine for things to work out the same or similar for LBT flyers.
I never thought of Pterano as Petrie's father myself considering him likely to be too closely related to Petrie's mother and also her attitute towards him to be not that of a former love interest. I think in the English original they never specify Pterano's family status as anything closer defined than Petrie's uncle (which could make him a brother of either Petrie's mother or his unknown father). In the German version Petrie's mother refers to him as her cousin (which would make him an uncle once removed of Petrie's).

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Dec 7 2011 on  03:06 AM
My thoughts of Petrie's father are sort of influenced by the BBC documentary "walking with dinosaurs" and the fact that we haven't ever seen a flyer father figure in the entire series. Scientists assume that there hasn't been much of a "family life" among most Pterosaurs and that it was more about the instinct of "continuation of the own lineage" rather than sweet love and family for them. Unromantic as this may be from a human perspective I could imagine for things to work out the same or similar for LBT flyers.
Mind you, Walking With Dinosaurs' depiction of a pterosaur life cycle (like many other aspects of the behavior of the creatures portrayed in the series) is purely speculative. As far as I know, there is no actual evidence of pterosaurs engaging in lekking behavior (several males gathering in the same place to court females), or that females and males parted ways immediately after mating. Keep in mind also that pterosaurs were a very diverse group, with huge variation in size and lifestyle among species, so it's a good bet that that their breeding habits varied as well. Fossils of pterosaur eggs and offspring are scarce, so it's not even known if they cared for their young at all, much less whether they were monogamous or not. One thing the fossils do show is that many pterosaur species featured pronounced sexual dimorphism: adornments such as head crests that were present in one gender (presumably males) but not the other. Real-life male Pteranodon are believed to have been 50 percent larger than the females (as evidenced by distinct size groups in fossil populations). It's generally the case in modern day animals with such striking physical differences between males and females that the two genders have very different roles; one (usually the showy males) display to and/or fight for as many mates as they can, while the other (usually the less conspicuous females) focus their energy on raising the young. In other words, dramatic dimorphism often indicates a tendency for polygamy, so actually it may very well be true that male Pteranodon did not take much part in raising the young.

Of course, that's real life, and all my sciencey gum-flapping is pretty much moot in regards to LBT (although one thing the series did get right is that only mature male Pteranodon had long, backswept crests; females and juveniles had small stubby ones). I've noticed, too, that pretty much every visible parent in every flyer family we've seen in LBTóPetrie's family, the cherry-obsessed flaplings in the original film, the Quetzalcoatlus who narrowly escaped the meteorite-induced earthshake at the start of movie III, the background flyers who appeared during "Grandma's Lullaby" in IVóhas been a single mother; for the life of me I can't remember seeing any with two parents, or even any single fathers (though the genders of the flyer who dive-bombed Ozzy and Strut in LBT II and the Cearadactylus in V were kind of ambiguous). Petrie's mother's statement in LBT XII about being the one who usually announces new additions to the Flyer family (as if this is something that happens with some regularity) might be interpreted as evidence that flyer fathers don't stick around. It seems strange to me that this would be the case, given the anthropomorphic family patterns seen in most LBT dinosaurs (even some sharpteeth are shown to have nuclear families; there's Chomper and his parents, as well as the Acrocanthosaurus in "The Lonely Journey"). One could argue that flyers are exempt from the norm because they are not strictly dinosaurs, but I'm still iffy about it. I can think of one alternative possibility; that Petrie has a father, but for whatever reason he is rarely at home (perhaps traveling beyond the Great Valley), and has not been seen thus far because he has never been a needed character (much the same reason that Ducky's father appears to have dropped out of existence). It also occurs to me that if he were to show up at this point, there'd have to be a rehash of Bron's excuse for not being seen before (and we all know how that went :rolleyes), or else he wouldn't be a very good parental model, which wouldn't work well for the show, considering its target audience (though I think that it could make for some very interesting fanfic material).

I think in the English original they never specify Pterano's family status as anything closer defined than Petrie's uncle (which could make him a brother of either Petrie's mother or his unknown father). In the German version Petrie's mother refers to him as her cousin (which would make him an uncle once removed of Petrie's).
Actually, in the English version Petrie's mother does refer to Pterano as her brother. It is at the beginning of the meeting circle scene after Ducky has been kidnapped, when she is speaking to Ducky's mother ("My brother may be many bad things, but he would never let those others harm her").

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
maybe his dad went away when he was born.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've always kind of thought the same way Pangaea did, that the males were probably not very involved in the raising of their young.

That's very interesting explanation, Darkhouomon, but I really don't see Pterano being Petrie's dad. Good fanfic idea, though, and I might wanna read that fanfic too, it it wasn't gone forevor :/
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Cera,Ducky and Petrie only have one parent and Spike and Littlefoot have no parents(although Bron appears in sequel 10 and his mother died),so I guess the makers of LBT didn't want to create a great number of characters. The parents who were created are enough for them imo ... That may be a reason, why Petrie hasn't a father!
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe he died during the earthquake or he just simply left and never to return witch if that is the case very wrong and very sad for Petrie since he never knew his farther at all.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Interesting, Pangaea. I would also like to think that the Great Earthshake (or, in fact, the life before it as well where everything was desert and destroyed-ish) made a lot of changes along the way, including to the flying creatures. Also, I think there was Cera's mom on the first movie near the end of it, right?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think you're right Ludichris1 :) I can recognize the scene with Cera's mum,too :D
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Mmm, I've had several ideas on the topic, but I honestly don't know which to choose on what happened to the guy.
I feel more inclined to think that, rather than abandoning his mate and children (no one else in the valley does that, right?) he died. Seems rather heartless, I agree, but idk why, I just feel more inclined to think that way. I mean, we never see him, don't hear about him, and no one mentions him.
It makes sense, in some weird, twisted way. I suppose if he had died before Petrie and his siblings were hatched, the children would not know a father and therefore might not really need a father, which would work psychologically, rather than knowing him for a short time, and then POOF, he's gone.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My theory is a bit darker, and could set up Petrie for trouble with his uncle in the future.  

I think it not beyond the realm of possibility that Petrie's dad may have followed his brother-in-law Pterano and somehow died that way.  

It would also explain why Petrie's mom was so reluctant to ever bring up the subject at all about Pterano and what he did and I still believe she hasn't told Petrie the whole truth about the situation, even after movie VII.  

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 6 2011 on  07:18 PM
I wish I could link you to the fanfic, but sadly it was removed from FF.Net. Not on the author's own accord; FF.Net has a ban on script formatted stories, which Land Beyond Time had.
Wait, it does????!!!  Oops.  Good thing I had stopped writing them in movie form then.  I'm kind of in violation of the rules.  However, I can fix it before they find out and I only had one chapter.  PHEW, that was close.  To think I coulda lose the whole story.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Perhaps Petrie’s Pater (father) was meant to appear at some point, just as Bron did in a sequel or maybe an explanatuon would be given by Petrie’s Momma.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
What if Pterano got Petrie’s dad killed in the Queste del Stone of Colde Fire? Perhaps Pterano convinced his brother that the stone would heal an injured wing or protect the nest?   

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
It'd be interesting if Pterano ended up being Petrie's dad. I've always felt Pterano looked a little like Petrie (but then again, some of Petrie's siblings look pretty similar to him too).

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
It'd be interesting if Pterano ended up being Petrie's dad. I've always felt Pterano looked a little like Petrie (but then again, some of Petrie's siblings look pretty similar to him too).

Petrie certainly has the opposite personality of Pterano. Pterano is dogmatic, adventurous, prideful, and risks going into Mysterious Beyond for The Stone of Cold Fire. Petrie is uncertain, timid, is not a risk taker by nature, and would prefer to avoid the Mysterious Beyond. There is precedence for parents and children to be opposites, so Pterano coukd be Petrie’s father.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile

Petrie certainly has the opposite personality of Pterano. Pterano is dogmatic, adventurous, prideful, and risks going into Mysterious Beyond for The Stone of Cold Fire. Petrie is uncertain, timid, is not a risk taker by nature, and would prefer to avoid the Mysterious Beyond. There is precedence for parents and children to be opposites, so Pterano coukd be Petrie’s father.
Or maybe a character arc for Petrie would be for him to slowly become like Pterano as he gains more self-confidence, so it's now a matter of him trying to find a balance.

This is based on my observations of my own life in regards to my father.