The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What Doc says about there being other valleys

Guest · 16 · 3685

Bruton the Iguanodon

Remember how Doc said there were other valleys just as nice as the great valley? Well, you think what he says is true? Cause we have yet to see them.

Yet...we have seen other beautiful places outside the GV, which is interesting in itself...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does make sense that there could be other places as nice as the Great Valley.  Some migratory herds may move between 2 or 3 such places.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Yeah I think what he says is true. I don't see why the Great Valley has to be the only lush valley around. It wouldn't make much sense.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Why wouldn't there be? It would make sense for other utopian landscapes to exist out in the world besides the Great Valley. Evidently, travellers to and from the Great Valley probably hit more than one location in their journeys so it makes perfect sense for other herbivorous hotspots to be dotted around.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
There's no doubt there are other Great Valley-like utopias around the world. It's a big world, as the franchise has constantly reminded us. In fact, we had another hint on such utopias existing before LBT VI was released: what is now the Land of Mists.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I definitely think there are other places like the Great Valley. Like Dr Rex said, The Land of Mists was probably one such place. Berry Valley also comes to mind, and I'm sure there are many others.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
I echo everyone in supporting that there are probably other utopian green hot spots in the world. There mightn’t be many that have the one-two benefit of keeping sharpteeth out and mostly having enough green food to go around no matter how many trees and bushes are casually destroyed, but they likely exist somewhere out there. Of course, I believe this because I’m skeptical and disinclined to like there can only be one of anything but there you go.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
To be honest, the Great Valley being just one of many similar places around the nearby lands really undermines the first film's quest. It was shown as the last sanctuary of life in the world and even if there has been some regrowth since then, it still feels like contradictory to the original's tone and logic. It makes sense that the rest of the world isn't just dead but it was a major source of atmosphere as well as a key plot point in the first film. Well, the Great Migration ruined the need for a believable explanation for supernatural journeys so I guess it makes sense that so many xenophobic herds just happen to head to a certain direction practically as one group and find what they are looking for without any  extraordinary meaning to their destination. :p
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:37:56 PM by Sovereign »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
To be honest, the Great Valley being just one of many similar places around the nearby lands really undermines the first film's quest. It was shown as the last sanctuary of life in the world and even if there has been some regrowth since then, it still feels like contradictory to the original's tone and logic. It makes sense that the rest of the world isn't just dead but it was a major source of atmosphere as well as a key plot point in the first film. Well, the Great Migration ruined the need for a believable explanation for supernatural journeys so I guess it makes sense that so many xenophobic herds just happen to head to a certain direction practically as one group and find what they are looking for without any  extraordinary meaning to their destination. :p

You raise an interesting point. The first film was very supernatural and the journey to the Great Valley showed mostly desolation. The viewer is compelled to believe The Great Valley is the Promise Land or Utopia among dystopias. Then the sequels undermine this narrative with herds and loners that describe other great valleys out there. The original LBT had a greater emotional impact because The Great Valley was the last haven and enclave for the leaf eaters to raise their families in. The sequels to open the door for more stories supplants this original  premise. I love the sequels, but it could have explained that there other havens with moderate to little vegetation but the Great Valley is the only place that can sustain herds long term. IMHO.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
well, even during watching first movie, I believed there're more living places than Great Valley in the whole motherplanet Earth. :D
Somewhere, maybe far-far away, there are other Great Valleys, and there's other groups of dinosaurs, who walked long way to find their sanctuary.
I never have seen our Great Valley as the center of the before time world. Even if not counting sequels.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
One has to take into account Doc’s lifestyle; he’s a loner (in that film, ommitting the LBT Series) and so his aim is not to found s herd or have a nest. So when Doc says there are other valleys it could be from his loner prespective. Then again the Secret of Saurus Rock features Doc in another valley defeating Sharpteeth. My belief is The Great Valley is great because it can sustain life long herds oppose to only migratory herds.

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
One has to take into account Doc’s lifestyle; he’s a loner (in that film, ommitting the LBT Series) and so his aim is not to found s herd or have a nest. So when Doc says there are other valleys it could be from his loner prespective. Then again the Secret of Saurus Rock features Doc in another valley defeating Sharpteeth. My belief is The Great Valley is great because it can sustain life long herds oppose to only migratory herds.
If you mean the fight sequence flashback during Grandpa Longneck’s story...that took place in the Great Valley. And it’s never actually been confirmed if Doc is or isn’t the Lone Dinosaur - so he might not have been the longneck in the flashback - and the “flashback” might qlso have just been Littlefoot’s imagination
(I wish they’d tell us   :lol)
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
As much as I love the first film, I've never really caught onto the whole mystical, supernatural tone and the utopian position of the Great Valley that Gentle Sharptooth brings up. Nor do I believe it's how the film should be viewed as. I honestly view the whole film as a simple adventure film revolving around the theme of friendship and teamwork, and the Great Valley just seemed like the most convenient location to rush off to, in my opinion.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The Great Valley has from time to time proven its not a utopia. In TLBT III fires ravage it, in LBT V the Leaf Gobblers eat all the foliage, in another one a tornado appears, and so on. What makes the Great Valley special is the unity of diverse herds like threehorns, longnecks, duckbills and more who unlike their contemporaries who stick to isolated herds of say only threehorns and cannot benefit from a longneck and threehorn team up on a sharptooth; Grandpa whipping and grabbing the leg of sharpteeth by the with his tai, and Topsy bulldozing his horns into the carnivour. What makes the Great Valley great is not the land, but the unity of diverse herds than defend and protect each other.  ;)Cera :)littlefoot
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:18:09 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Given that the later films made the Mysterious Beyond much more fertile than it originally seemed (seriously, compare the desolate and barren landscapes seen in films 2-5 with the lush terrain we see in 9 en route to Big Water), I think it's fair to assume that this is not the ONLY safe place left in this part of the world, just one of the biggest. I always liked to think that the locations from the first film were affected by the same overall ecological changes that affected the Land of Mists, and the residents all opted to head west and seek better lands, based on stories of 'the Great Valley' picked up from nomadic dinosaurs who'd been there before (6 indicates that Grandpa Longneck either lived in or knew of the Great Valley when he was younger, since the story of the Lone Dinosaur takes place in a smaller valley right NEXT to the Great Valley)...

sordessie

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I like to imagine in part that the Great Valley just happens to be in a prime location to make it the best spot. It tends to be closed off from predators, and the weather doesn't often threaten the residents in a way that would make them need to leave for extended periods. When the Farwalkers in VII are mentioned they seem well known, as if it's like. A consistent thing that they stop in the GV on their travels. I think it was the similar case in XI but it's been quite a while since I've actually seen that one. Some valleys have harsh rainy seasons, causing land floods that they need to travel away from until the wet season is over, some have harsh summers that might dry up the food, or winters that leave all food sources bare. But the valley is just in a prime location and thats why it was in particular so sougth after. (Nevermind indications to the contrary, shhh, I just like to imagine).

Ok, to be honest it never seems they give a good indication of what really makes the Great Valley better than any other green spot but...