The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just had a thought about Land Before Time 3

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Animators and consistency with numbers of background characters... I think you know that they hardly ever try to keep these numbers consistent :p
Inactive, probably forever.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Or maybe... Just maybe... There is a velociraptor on the loose in the Great Valley! Panic! PANIC! :D

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Quote from: Ducky123,Jan 31 2017 on  04:39 PM
Animators and consistency with numbers of background characters... I think you know that they hardly ever try to keep these numbers consistent :p
yeah, remember how much Tinysaurs attacked two fastbiters? XD

------

I don't think they would survive falling from Thunderfall.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Those raptors where the only cool things in the movie. And yeah that was pretty amazing they attcked those fast biters.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I have not seen LBT 3 in such a long while; it's the only sequel outside of 14 that I DON'T have in my collection. This is not indicative of my opinion of the movie, just so you know; the time for me to easily find and buy it has just passed long ago.

Anyway, these are very interesting points. We could've taken this time to learn why Topps thinks that way, but a lot of that time was filled by Hyp and his gang. Maybe the original idea wasn't working for the higher-ups and Hyp was just put in to fill time?

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
LBT 3 was one I used to like a lot, and still is probably my favorite of the sequels. I'm past the LBT phase I was in when I first came here where I looked at my favorite sequels as "amazing", but I still have soft spots for LBT 3, 5 and 7.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
"The Time of Great Giving" does address something very serious in our times, water shortage and rationing. For those in USA, this is a perfect entry for Thanksgiving. But perhaps what I found most memorable was homage to the success of Jurassic Park, i.e. Velociraptors (really Utahraptor and Dienonychus), hence their presence as sharpteeth at climax of the film. In my opinion this film flushed out Topsy or Mr. Threehorn more, and the escape from fire is rather fraught with emotion.

As for Hip and his crew, the point was definitely to teach children about bullying. It is these messages amongst adventure and lovable characters that makes The Land Before Time endure.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
As with the first and second films, this too I can remember from my childhood, if only barely. There was already much I'd already forgotten about the first film when I rewatched it as an adult, and even more I'd forgotten about the second film. Whereas there was even more still that I forgot with this one, to the point that I really don't remember any specific scenes at all. There was just something about the bully characters that was familiar to me, and I could ever-so-vaguely recall the forest fire, but that was it.

Interesting to see that a lot of people don't like this one and/or regard it as one of the weaker entries. Personally, I thought it was an improvement over the second film.

I like that there was a redemption arc for Daddy Topps in the same way that Cera had hers in the first film. It was established in the second film that, while Cera had mellowed out, Topps was still prejudiced against other dinosaurs, so I'm glad they addressed that more fully here.

Making the parallels even stronger, notice how during the fire, Topps leads himself and Cera down his own path and nearly gets them killed, but they are saved just in time by Grandpa Longneck, whereupon Topps gets his slice of humble pie. Very similar to how, in the first film, Cera led the other dinosaurs down her own path and nearly got them killed, but they were saved by Littlefoot, and Cera subsequently got her slice of humble pie. The treestar certainly does not fall far from the tree.
:TreeStar

My favourite part of the film comes shortly after this when Topps sees Hyp's father yell at him, which shames Topps into realizing how much of a jerk he himself has been.

Topps: "Yelling is no way to teach your child what is right or to show that you care."
Hyp's father: "How would you know?"
Topps: "I know because... because I have a daughter... and I yell at her. Too much. Especially when I'm worried for her safety. [...] If you always react with anger, that's all your son will know, and that's all he'll be able to express to others."

A very touching moment of self-realization. I especially love the way Topps hesitates after "because" and his face falls. You can tell it's painful for him to have to admit it, but he ultimately owns up to his flaws while passing on a valuable lesson to someone else. His last line is especially profound in bringing things full circle and explaining Cera's own behaviour in the first film.

Also...

Grandma Longneck: "We must come up with a plan to free the water."
Topps: "I have a plan."
Mr. Clubtail: "I hope it's better than your fire escape plan."

:DD

And Ducky has a great line too: "I do not like Sharpteeth, oh no. Their teeth are too sharp."

Well, I have always found the Guest Characters of Week (Hyp, Mutt, and Nod) neither memorable or interesting. They're pretty typical bully characters, the kind you see in EVERYTHING (especially if you read a lot of Stephen King like I do). Sure, they graft on a "kids emulate their parents, and if you're a big meany-pants, your kid probably will be, too" at the last minute, but...
Don't Daddy Tops and Cera already have that covered? Yet it rarely ever gets the attention I think it warrants (outside of the original 1988 film, anyway). LBT3 could actually have been an opportunity to explore in-depth the many underlying issues of Cera's father being the resident backwards thinking racist and the effect that has on her.
That is an excellent point, and I can't fully disagree with it. I personally didn't mind the bullies, however. The topic of bullying in their dinosaur society was an interesting concept, at least. If nothing else, I'm thankful for the bully characters because it was a build-up to the reveal about Hyp's father, which in turn led to the aforementioned scene with Topps and was a key moment in his development. I felt it was significant that Topps seeing his own flaws within another lousy father is what likewise caused him to see those flaws within himself.

The bullies and Hyp's father being redundant to the story is a solid argument, but I liked the parallels between the different characters, and how they all come to realize that despite their prejudices, they're really not that different from each other. I've dealt with friends in the past who were racist or otherwise prejudiced, so it speaks to me on a personal level.

Overall, I give this film a 7/10.

Regarding the debate about whether Topps was justified in taking charge of the water supply or not, I actually agree with both sides of the argument to an extent. In itself, I don't think Topps was wrong to step up and take charge, even if he had to be "tough" about it. At the very least, someone had to do it. However, I don't think Topps was the best candidate for that position.

The main reason I feel this way is because of his harsh prejudice against other dinosaurs, which was demonstrated multiple times, as well as his general jerk-ish behaviour, which likewise had a toxic influence on his daughter in the first film. In particular the fact that he's so quick to declare Littlefoot, a very sweet kid, as a "bad influence." Not to mention his "fire escape plan" that nearly got himself and his daughter killed. Yeah, not someone I'd be super-enthusiastic about trusting. He just wasn't a good leader, at least not until he reforms near the end of the film.

I do agree that something needed to be done about the water supply problem, but I also feel that Topps was just a bit too quick to step up and decide that he and he alone was going to be the one to take care of it.

Anyway, I loved reading the discourse and seeing everybody's thoughts on the manner.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:08:22 PM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(merged this into my review above)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:08:50 PM by StardustSoldier »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I actually came to this movie with lower expectations, hoping it'd be at least a decent movie, considering it's a sequel. Well, it's a great movie actually! While you may think the lesson of the movie is obvious with the title of it, you'd only be half right. It also teaches children teamwork and cooperation, vital aspects of getting a hard task done. Many scenes in the movie demonstrates this nicely, such as the GOF helping Hyp by pulling him out of a tar pit and a combined effort by both the children and adults to fight off the Velociraptor threat near the end of the movie. Another lesson that is very predominant in the movie is anti-bullying, with the characters Hyp, Mutt, and Nod filling in the roles as the bullies. I honestly don't really care for them at all, especially since I feel that they're generic antagonists that only annoy the main characters instead of pose a threat to them.

I love how Topps was portrayed in this movie as a character! It still shows him as a stubborn threehorn with harsh prejudice against other dinosaurs. But, by the end of the movie, it reveals the true heart that laid hidden under his tough skin all along. It took the scolding of Hyp by his father to realize how much of a jerk he was to everyone and even his daughter, as already mentioned by Stardust below. To see him admit his own flaws and apologize for it is true character development right there. It takes true courage to do that, something which is an excellent lesson for everyone, not just kids. By looking at his face, you see genuine remorse. I must mention though that I shook my head a couple of times at his actions, such as that "fire escape plan." But, that part I felt was a huge first step in his reformation, as shown when Grandpa Longneck saves him and Cera from the fire. He had no hesitation in following him because he knew that he himself was wrong, but also because there's no point in asserting your dominance in a life or death situation. Besides, he had Cera to ensure that she's safe too.

I have a huge negative in this movie that I'd like to address. I'm sure that this may be a recurring theme in the upcoming sequels I'll be watching soon, but are the adults really that immature and incompetent? I thought they'd be more civil and rational in discussions, especially when it's a sensitive topic, such as one that deals with food or water shortage. I knew once I saw the bickering, that the kids would go off on their own adventure to discover the source of the missing water problem. Low and behold, they discover the problem in no time at all, just outside in the Mysterious Beyond. The adults weren't completely useless, as shown near the end of the movie, but for the most part, yes. Of course, it's important to show that adults aren't perfect and they're susceptible to error like everyone else, but honestly the arguing annoyed me a lot. That brings us to another lesson about arguing and violence not solving anything, so at least something good came out of that.

Another thing about the movie is how I thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't really find it too boring. Out of the three songs, the first one was my least favorite, but the other two I enjoyed listening to. In my opinion, the real conflict in the movie comes at its peak, the climax obviously. A lot of peril and excitement was presented with the introduction of the sparked fire from a lightning strike. It forced the Great Valley residents to put their differences aside and put everyone's safety as their number one priority.

Overall, I find this movie to be excellent.
8/10 :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The Time of the Great Giving is my least favorite of the first ten films. I applaud it tackled “bullying,” but it felt like an Thanksgiving film. I am thrilled if introduced Velociraptors (really Deinychus and Utahraptor).

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(see here for my thoughts on the bullies)

The Time of the Great Giving is my least favorite of the first ten films. I applaud it tackled “bullying,” but it felt like an Thanksgiving film.
I didn't think of that before, but that's a good observation. Although for me, having the feel of a holiday/Thanksgiving film is a plus; helps the film stand out more. Much like how LBT 8 feels like a holiday film for December... which is also an insight that you originally shared. :)

Anyway, I thought a rewatch of this one would be interesting. Last year, when I saw it for the first time (as an adult), I remember I liked it a bit better than LBT 2, but I was largely only comparing LBT 3 to the first two films, having not yet seen the later sequels. But this time around, I was watching it in the context of having seen all the rest of the films as well. I was concerned that it might not hold up as good as it did before, but I was pleasantly surprised to find how much I still enjoyed it.

The opening is fantastic. But then again, maybe that's because it reminds me of LBT 1's opening. Regardless, that music is top-notch. This is one thing I enjoy about the early and middle sequels; James Horner's music was still used a lot.
:wub

Also, Candace Hutson. Still my favourite Cera voice actress. <3

One of my points of praise last time was Topsy's character development. This is something that still holds up after having seen the whole series. In fact, after eleven more sequels, this is still the most depth and character development he's ever been given, as many of the other films just fall back on his "stern, grumpy dad" persona. I do appreciate that the later sequels show glimmers of his softer side beneath all the grouchiness, showing that the events of this film did change him for the better. Still, it is a shame that he never again gets the same character focus and growth that he has here. LBT 11 is probably the only other film that comes the closest. But even there, #11 also seemed to regress back to making him overly belligerent, just to have him learn his lesson by the end of it, making it sort of redundant with his character arc here.

There's a part of me that still wishes LBT 2 & 3 had retained the darker tone of the original film. But on the other hand, I like the slightly more day-to-day feel they have in showing how the dinosaurs are adjusting to their new home within the valley, and how it contrasts so much from what their world was like before the Great Valley.

Quote from: My original review
Grandma Longneck: "We must come up with a plan to free the water."
Topps: "I have a plan."
Mr. Clubtail: "I hope it's better than your fire escape plan."
And of course this exchange, which made me laugh upon seeing the film again. :DD

Ducky has another great line too: "My sniffer is very, very sniffed out."

Something I never noticed the first time around. Topsy mentions his father during "Standing Tough". I thought that was interesting; I believe that's the only time Topsy's dad is ever mentioned? Also interesting is that, from the way Topsy talks about him, it sounds as though his father is no longer alive. I wonder... did his father pass away from old age, or did something more abrupt and tragic happen? We'll probably never have an official answer, but it's still fun to speculate.

Quote from: My original review
As with the first and second films, this too I can remember from my childhood, if only barely. There was already much I'd already forgotten about the first film when I rewatched it as an adult, and even more I'd forgotten about the second film. Whereas there was even more still that I forgot with this one, to the point that I really don't remember any specific scenes at all. There was just something about the bully characters that was familiar to me, and I could ever-so-vaguely recall the forest fire, but that was it.
Adding onto that, when I watched it again, I found there was one other little moment I could recall from when I was a wee lad. The part when the bee comes out of the flower and chases the bullies away. I'm not sure why it was that specific moment I remembered and barely anything else about the film, but there you have it. :p

As for the ending, I did find it kinda cheesy and heavy-handed with the moral. But all in all, I'd say LBT 3 still holds up. :yes
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:44:16 PM by StardustSoldier »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
The Time of the Great Giving is my least favorite of the first ten films. I applaud it tackled “bullying,” but it felt like an Thanksgiving film. I am thrilled if introduced Velociraptors (really Deinychus and Utahraptor).

Yeah, that's what I've always thought of it as well. And the Velociraptors were indeed pretty memorable.