The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Does Cera seem...angrier after LBT 4?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The transtion from LBT 4 to LBT 5 was a rough one in my opinion, but that is to be expected when a new director takes over; however, I have found that from LBT 5 onward, Cera has been a somewhat less likeable additon to the Gang, some moment aside.

I have always found Cera's personality fascinating, but I was somewhat disappointed to see how her character was carried out in some of the later sequels.

In the original LBT, Cera was growing up with her sense of pride, but eventually she accepted, and even adored, her friends, as they made their way through the "Mountains that Burn" to the Great Valley.  Her roots of a proud threehorn remained with her, but her tolerance has improved greatly since her birth.

LBT 2 shows Cera in a frazzled state when she believes the adults are treating the Gang like babies.  Frazzled, yes, however she was still an interesting character with a unique viewpoint, and she carried that off to the rest of the Gang in a strong, effective manner.  They held a meeting, and talked over the issue.
When the Gang was thrown into the Mysterious Beyond, Cera was genuinely upset, and not afraid to show it.  This moment was probably a moment of realization for Cera, when she had second thoughts about wanting to take care of things on her own.
Shortly after Chomper was hatched, he saves the gang from the egg stealers, and he is accepted into the gang...until he bites Cera.  Cera, naturally, is upset, and justifies her reasoning why Chomper can't stay with them.  Ducky, and to some extent even Littlefoot (who is a natural leader), accepted what Cera had to say, yet Littlefoot couldn't help feeling it was wrong to let Chomper wander on his own.
By the end of the movie, Cera comes to the realization that Chomper is truly one of them, and *almost* (as we see in LBT 5, which is partly why I have some arguements against that film) accepts him as a friend, for who he is.

In LBT 3, Cera is bothered in this movie, but only by relatively major issues.  Her father doesn't allow her to be with littlefoot anymore, as he is considered a bad influence after "wasting water."  Her friendship with Littlefoot can be shown, when she disobeys her father to meet with littlefoot.  Cera's most serious issue in this film is her Father, secondly, the lack of water, and lastly, the Bullies.  Yet somehow throughout all of the tragedy in her life, she still stays a likeable character, not yelling every 2 sentences, not making her friends angry at her, too.  She rationalizes the situation, and gets the gang together to try to Solve the Problem, and she does so without getting needlessly worked up over little things in the process.

In LBT 4, Ali is Cera's primary issue for much of the film.  In the introduction, Cera is a very likeable character, remaining cheerful, and acting proud when she does something clever (like knocking all the leaves off the tree in the early scene), which is certainly part of Cera's character; she is known to be proud of who she is.  Cera's behaviour becomes interesting when Ali meets with the group.  Now the interesting thing with this scene, is the fact that Littlefoot introduces Ali has his "new friend," yet Cera is willing to greet her politely, with a friendly "Hello, Ali!"
Mind you, this content feeling about Ali is brief, but it almost seems like the primary issue that Cera has with Ali, is not the fact that she's jealous towards Littlefoot, but the fact the Ali can't accept the group for who they are (see the "crush?" topic, also on this board).  Cera has learned acceptance on their journey to the Great Valley, and is bothered when she met someone who was still under the "old school" mindset of keeping different herds seperate.  I suppose there isn't hard evidence that Ali is "racist;" Ali, could merely be afraid, like she states in the film....
Anyways, this is about Cera, not Ali, so I shall move on:
After learning that Ali was willing to accept Cera, and the gang, for who they are, Cera was more content, even happy, to be Ali's friend.  This also makes me think that the idea of jealously plays less of a role than we may think.
From this point on, Cera was a kind, robust, strong addition to the movie, and even during the time when she was upset with Ali, Cera remained "Cera-ish", and didn't take out her frustrations on the world.  When the Gang was asking Cera to help them find Littlefoot, Cera was angry at littlefoot for not asking them to come, but I feel that's understandable.  Cera, deep inside, obviously cares for Littlefoot, as she soon changed her mind about not helping.  The scene where Cera was turning down going to help Littlefoot, didn't feel like a weak scene.  You could Feel Cera's frustration, and she didn't take it over the top.  She spoke clearly, didn't yell, and spoke her mind.  Eventually, her mind changed, after likely feelings of guilt, then a feeling of warmth for her friend, whom she may never see again.  She had to go.

Now, moving onto Cera's later character, staring with the beginning of LBT 5.

The first scenes of LBT 5, I thought were very weak.  The characters were getting worked up over little things, which had Never been seen since perhaps the Original movie, when they were all very young and it was understandable.  For example, Littlefoot and Cera were constantly fighting over whether or not Sharptooth was dead or not, and they got into a bit of a fight about where the Great Valley was, where they were getting into a bit of pushing and shoving.
Anyways, back to LBT 5:
The characters were chasing after the last treestar, tripping over each other, biting each other (Spike biting Petrie), Cera was running with Ducky on her back.  Ducky was losing her balance, hurting herself at times, and Cera was completely careless and oblivious to this.
A serious example of Cera (and Littlefoot in this case) becoming more aggressive, was when the Gang was in the desert, and Grandpa was arguing with Mr. Threehorn.  Littlefoot suddenly turns to Cera and says "You father can't talk to my grandpa like that!"  
Cera's response: "He can talk Any way he wants!"
And a fight pursues.  We haven't seen them FIGHT since the Original movie!  Where did this come from?  I suppose we are to believe everyone is cranky from lack of food and water, but this scene just felt odd for these characters, at this point in time.  I suppose it's like any relationship - at first, nothing you do can upset the other person, but as time goes on, you start to pick up on things that annoy you.  The most logical explantion, I guess, is the fact that they're tired and upset from lack of food and water, so they are attacking each other with words.
I have an issue with Cera's lack of acceptance towards Chomper in this film.  I know it adds something else for the movie to talk about, but I didn't like the fact that Cera seemed alright with Chomper after LBT 2 was over, yet she suddenly has a grudge with him again.  Perhaps she is worried that he wouldn't think of them as friends, since it was so long ago, but I just didn't feel comfortable with how this idea was protrayed.
Also, I've noticed that Cera tends to take serious matters as a joke, and tends to take lighter things too seriously.  For example,
LBT 5: The gang is on the raft, when Petrie is dunked under the water and sees a swimming sharptooth.  Cera doesn't believe a thing when petrie tries to warn them.  And of course, 10 seconds later, she's swimming away from it.
The exact same thing happens in LBT 6, when she thinks the gang is making up the fact that there is a sharptooth behind her, Yet they Ran Into a Sharptooth in the same place on the way To Saurus Rock!
Even Cera's interaction with the Twins seemed a tad cruel.  She was easily frustrated with them, and hardly showed any guilt after telling them to get lost, even after Ducky scolded Cera for it.

LBT 8, I had serious issues with Cera, in parts, as well.  She acts like she's the Queen of Mad, yet we had never Once seen her do anything that she demonstrates to Ducky in her song, in any previous event.  Cera never really acted "mad" per se; aside from the moments in LBT 1, and the weird fights in LBT 5, many of which were unnecessary.

In LBT 9, she took her frustration out on Mo, which I felt was un-called for.  From the first time she met him, her "greeting" was, in a snotty voice "You're not from around here, are you??"
I can see being upset, but why didn't she just Talk to littlefoot about what he thought about Mo.  She concealed her frustration, and left the rest of the gang confused.  As a result, Cera was an angry character for much of the movie, until they cool off, near Big Water.  However, I it did surprise me to see Cera jump into the water after Mo, when he pretended to be stuck - considering who Cera had apparently become in the film, I was happy to see her do something nice :p

LBT 11 was almost painful to watch Cera's emotions.  She verbally attacked Littlefoot when he asked about Tria, than ditched him on the spot.  Cera's reation when Ducky referred to her Dad as "Topsy" was also extreme.  She was obviously Very emotional about the situation between her Father and Tria, but let's go back to LBT 2 for a moment.  At that point, I honestly think Cera would have Wanted to talk about it, just like she talked about the adults treating them like babies, and just like she approached Littlefoot to "do [something] about the grownups."  Advance to LBT 11, and Cera conceals all her feelings inside, and just gets mad at everything.  

I feel that Cera's character was almost more Mature in the earlier films.  She had reasons to justify what she did, and was willing to discuss the matters with the Gang.  Even the Ali issue, Cera states her thoughts; she didn't just get angry.  She Said that she thought Ali was stuck-up, and if Littlefoot would rather spend his time with the stuck-up brat, then she wants nothing to do with him.  
The reasoning is somewhat elementary, but consider the fact the Gang isn't very old.  However, in the later films, Cera's answer to a number of problems is simply to yell at it or physically fight it.  I think Cera was a more interesting, more likeable character shen she was willing to talk to the gang, or at least Littlefoot.  The redeeming part of LBT 9 was when Cera Finally approached Littlefoot after they thought Mo was gone.  From this point on, I thought Cera's character was as strong as any of the earlier ones, but just the way she handles conflict in the later sequels, bothers me.  

Anyways, that's my Very long analysis of Cera's approach to problems.  I hope I made some sense, but I'm going to bed now :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You do have a very good point there. Some objections I might have come up with concerning several points (e.g. frustration and lack of food for Cera's and Littlefoot's overreaction in LBT 5) you came already up with yourself, leaving very little to add.
There is no doubt Cera really WAS "softer" while Roy Alan Smith still directed the movies.
As for Cera's conduct towards Chomper, I must say I can't help thinking that they masked out quite a bit of "difficult" stuff to deal with. If presented just a little different I suppose Cera's behaviour would be easier to understand (while Littlefoot's would be more difficult). For example it is remarkable that even though LBT 5 ist the first sequel to mention Littlefoot's mother again (Always there) but yet the connection line (Littlefoot's mother being killed by a sharptooth just like Chomper will be and his parents are) is not drawn. Cera does come across as really cross in LBT 5 will Chomper is the poor, little, gentle sharptooth who would not even hurt a dragonfly (as he did in LBT 2 ;) ). I suppose Cera would be more understandable if the problem they made their topic had actually been addressed in a manner different than just the funny "Friends for dinner" song. They seem to have picked up a topic there just to decide not to talk about it not to give a negative image of Chomper or show the younger audience anything they shouldn't see. This makes for an own thread which is why I'm not going into details about Chomper now, but I think it is save to say that in this movie our oppinion was by means of "censorship" (Free press for the land before time :lol ) turned against Cera and in favor of Chomper. Another thing I disliked about this particular movie's presentation of Cera is that she really WAS a coward in it. Always running and screaming, being the only one to jump for cover at the sound of a sharptooth's roar (I can change my mind, can't I?), and being the one most scared to cross the ravine on that log. Really, that was not quite the image of Cera I have in mind. For however stubborn and bossy she may be I think she is (or ought to be) one of the bravest of the group.
As for Cera in LBT 4 it is sort of interesting to hear the differences between the English original and the German translation (which probably strongly influenced my image of the Cera Ali relationship). While you are right in pointing out that Cera's first reaction towards Ali is unbiassed and friendly and changes only after Ali revealed her own biasses it is different in the German version. While the words are literally the same Cera sounds much less hearty in the German variant turning a cold shoulder to Ali from the first moment.
One thing I realized in the later movies is that several times Cera is at first reluctant to do something, but once she has been convinced she shows a grim (threehornish) determination we don't see from the others (examples are most obvious in LBT 6, and 10. Not as clear in LBT 7).
I suppose it would have been much better if in LBT 11 they had bothered to finally tell a bit about the wherabouts of Cera's family (not to say their "fate") rather than just let Tria step into the ring. I reckon Cera's reaction might have been much more understandable then. Also it might have been interesting to hear a little more about Cera's opinion on the relationship between male and female. Some kind of confusion and disapproval of her fathers "silly" behaviour. Upon hearing the title of the song "Girls and Dads" I thought it would contain such a kind of message before hearing it and realizing that Tria was not meant by "Girls".

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ali is unbiassed and friendly and changes only after Ali revealed her own biasses it is different in the German version. While the words are literally the same Cera sounds much less hearty in the German variant turning a cold shoulder to Ali from the first moment.

That's interesting that the German version protrayed Cera's attitude differently when the Gang was first introduced to Ali.

Another thing I disliked about this particular movie's presentation of Cera is that she really WAS a coward in it.

I agree with you on this.  It didn't seem like part of Cera's prideful character to often be the first one to scream and hide.

I suppose Cera would be more understandable if the problem they made their topic had actually been addressed in a manner different than just the funny "Friends for dinner" song.
Again, very true.  I found much of LBT 5 had weak execution, partly due to Cera's inability to accept Chomper.  I found most of the movie that took place on the Island was relatively poor quality, aside from the moments with the song "Always There," the moments of the Gang and Chomper reuniting for the first time (especially Littlefoot and Chomper), and the Elsie scene.  There were a number of flaws in LBT 5, such as "why did ducky just wander off"?  or "Why didn't chomper know there were other sharpteeth on the island?" but I'll get into these topics in another thread, when I have more time.  I'm at college right now, on my lunch break.  

My next question is, going back to my original topic on whether or not Cera is less likeable in the later sequels.  Do people tend to like the "Old", rational, more moderate Cera attitude, or the "new", aggressive, radical Cera attitude?
I personally wish they would hav kept Cera the way she was in the first 3 sequels;  She was rational, yet she had unique points of view on many issues.  She was more willing to work out problems by workign together with her friends.  
In the later sequels, she was often involved in conflicts with her friends, which I personally wasn't a big fan of.  I suppose it shows how a group of children, say, 10 years old, may act.  But then, I can't help but think back to LBT 3, to the quote the adults has while tying to figure out a way to free the water: "Stop!  You're acting like children."  Petrie's response, which fit Very well at the time: "Hmph! We no act like that."  The gang had its' share of issues (the Ali incident, for example, or the Chomper incident, where Littlefoot wanted to keep him, whereas the rest of that gang was concerned that he couldn't adapt to their lifestyle).
These issues never got out of hand.  In the later sequels, I often found the gang was getting into bickering over relatively small issues, and I suppose I just didn't like that.  The gang never used to get into arguements over little things like Littlefoot talking during a story told by his Grandpa, in LBT 6; However, such a situation had not come up before in the series, either.  Another clear example, was how angry Ducky was at Spike throughout the first 1/3 or so of LBT 8.  This anger seemed somewhat out of character for Ducky, and Cera's Mad Song was a little bit rediculous, I thought, though I think it was mainly used to give Cera the ability to Scream (so they could open up the pass into the valley later on the film.)

I'm trying not to be biased with my writing, but I'll bet I am showing bias towards Cera's "classic" character anyways  <_< Overall, I found Cera's attitude less mature in the later sequels.  I'll post some more later, when I have more time, but I need to get going  :cry

So I'll leave you guys with these questions:  
Has Cera become more or less mature?  
Has her maturity changed at all?
Does she seem more angry in the later sequels?  
Was she more likeable in earlier films or later films?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm in sort of a split mind about this.
On the one hand I really think they overdid this "mad business" in LBT 8. Madness for madness' sake is not what I would expect from Cera. On the other hand I think they were about to "tame" her down too much. At least in LBT 3 there could have been a little more threehornishness about her (though there was some).
Cera learned a lot throughout the original movie. About biasses and what a nonsense they are. Her experiences made her take a stand even against her father's prejudices in LBT 3. However, I actually like the idea of threehorns being of a more iritable, bossy nature. Cera is a threehorn, so if threehorns have such a nature Cera too is highly likely to have it. I wouldn't want her too be too gentle...
It's sort of funny for me to write this, as in the land before time story I've been writing for a verylong time already I introduce two sisters of Cera, one of whom is very "unthreehornish" and gentle, while the other one is an exemplar of a very threehornish threehorn. Somewhat similar to the original movies' Cera.
I don't mean for Cera to be unsensible and unsensitive. Yet I think she is the one of the gang least likely to show any feelings that might embarass her (fear in particular, which is why it annoys me indeed if she is acting coward in some movies while there are others around to see it) and most likely to turn out the tough skin. I wouldn't want to convert that picture of Cera too much.
As for the question of maturity, I don't see any of the characters showing the effects of their adventures in the form of maturity uncommon for their ages. I think their overcoming the prejudices may be the only sizable example. This example was sort of "disenchanted" by the fact that, unlike the way it is in the original movie, the grownups too seem to have overcome most of their prejudices.
The gang never used to get into arguements over little things like Littlefoot talking during a story told by his Grandpa, in LBT 6;
I think you are taking that one too serious. The others just wanted the story to continue which is why they reacted so irritated. Littlefoot seemed to understand this and kept silent. They were not having a big argument there.
I think that arguing about something belongs to a relationship and I don't generally oppose occassional bickering between the characters (often provoked by one character pointing out the "merits" of the own species).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think you are taking that one too serious. The others just wanted the story to continue which is why they reacted so irritated. Littlefoot seemed to understand this and kept silent. They were not having a big argument there.

Certainly true; perhaps that was a poor example.  That's what I get for not thinking before I type  :p

I accept the fact that relationships consist of conflict, but I just found that there were *more* moments in the later sequels where the Gang acted like, well, children; the clearest example of this is the beginning of LBT 5, when they're fighting over the last treestar.  I never liked the line littlefoot uses after Mr. Clubtail got it:

Cera: "That treestar was ours."  - this line is fine, but littlefoot's response,
"You mean it was mine."
Just seemed out of character for Littlefoot, and overly aggressive.  If grandpa hadn't been there to break it up, they may have started having more of an arguement, which may have lead to a bit of physical fighting, something that Gang hasn't done since...well...the arguement between Cera and Littlefoot in LBT 1!  And they're getting into an arguement over the possession of the most common thing in the Great Valley: Food.  I just find actions such as this relatively immature, considering how the Gang acted in earlier films, willing to talk things over, never getting worked up over little things, laughing at Spike instead of yelling at him (aka Ducky in LBT 8)
I Do understand Ducky's frustration, but let's be honest. She Could have Moved Over!  There was plenty of room on the Other side of Spike in the very first scene of LBT 8.  Just moments like this that seemed a little bit outrageous, seem more prevalent in the later sequels.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't go as far as saying that the gang are more agrumentative. Coz there is normally some means of conflict between them all at some stage in each of the films. Like Littlefoot supposedly being overly angry about his last treestar being taken. In LBT 2, Littlefoot and Cera again fight over the adoption of Chomper after he bites her. In LBT 6 when Littlefoot is told to be quiet as they're listening to the Story of the Lone Dinosaur, it's not just Cera who wishes Littlefoot to quit interrupting but also Ducky and Petrie announce their dislike of him doing it.

I wouldn't say Cera has become angrier since LBT 5, but I think it is supposed to be in her nature, being a Threehorn and all. The impression we get of threehorns are that they're proud creatures that always think about their pride, do not like being challenged and are more likely to stand their ground and fight.

They're still kids and kids tend to squabble over the most trivial of things even though there is a clear-cut solution to the problem. With Ducky and Spike sleeping together, maybe it's warmer for Ducky where she was before Spike moved in on her spot and moved her out of it. I don't know but there must have been a reason for her not to want to move. I think the use of arguments like this is meant to build tension and in other moments lead on to something more comical. But it's just finding different ways in which to do it.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Indeed, her attitude has changed and she dose seem angry all the time now.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Actually, I think Cera seems more "snobbish" than "angry" these days. The only time I've seen the "mad" side come out since #4 (when they got a filmmaker for the series and a new voice actress for Cera), really, is in LBT8, when they donated a song to it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 15 2006 on  03:14 PM
Actually, I think Cera seems more "snobbish" than "angry" these days.
I think you're right; I almost find her "too" snobbish in the later sequels, but that's who she has appeared to have developed into.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The third movie may be key to answering this. It would be ironic if it was, though. Cera’s father said to Hyp’s father that constant anger in a parent will allow for little to no more to be expressed in one’s child (yes, The Friendly Sharptooth’s wording there :p). So it’s possible that her father’s short temper is playing a big part in influencing her upbringing. He gets very mad at Littlefoot’s grandfather in V, at Doc in VI, at Pterano and the rainbowfaces in VII, at Mr. Thicknose in VIII, at Littlefoot in IX, at the tinysauruses in XI, and at Guido in XII, and following Action9000’s account, we see that Cera has been spiraling down in temperament as well.

I myself grew up to be very passive and mild from my father. He spoke very gently and did things peaceably. When others did things to him, he was able to not lash out, and that was something I was able to pick up on as a result. So as Topsy continues to be harsh and rude to others, isn’t it pretty normal for Cera to grow more aggressive? If this is the case, I personally feel she should be more the object of pity than possible disdain for her growing attitude. On the same note, he was milder in the television series, and wasn’t she as well? :angel So I more point fingers at him for bad parenting, not to Cera for soaking up all the negativity of her father.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well I think she does. Because her farther is still over protective.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
To be honest, I never really noticed Cera becoming angrier in later sequels.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
I didn't realize this situation until now.  I believe she does. In the first movie, she is more obstinate in the original and the ones leading up to the fourth movie, but by the time it made it to the sixth, she became egocentric, jut like her father.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
But later on in the sequels she does seem a bit snobbish and meaner than ever. But deep down she does care about people witch is good.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I think part of the reason she seems agrier after 4 is because of the voice change. Anndi Mcaphee's Cera sounds much more bossy and unthoughtful then Candace Huston's. In movie 1, though, Huston didn't even sound remotely like her sequel self---she sounded like Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter movies!  :lol

Voice changing does make the character appear a little different, doesn't it? For example, Ducky feels more mature starting from 7 because Aria's voice was maturing. Not that I don't loooooooove Judith Barsi as Ducky (don't get me started on that topic! :( ) but I really thought it was nice how her character felt a little older after 6; which was a good thing since she had started to become bland.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I noticed that as well, that Cera got more aggressive again starting with the fifth movie. Seems like it was a side effect of both the change in directors and the change in voice actresses. That, and perhaps the writers felt she was growing a bit too nice and so they wanted to bring back some of her original characterization, although I agree the transition between LBT 4 & 5 was jarring. I think ideally, they should've found a more comfortable balance between how she was in LBT 2-4 versus how she was in the later sequels.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I actually paid attention to Cera mostly in the first film.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I also kinda wish they could've kept Candace Hutson around. Not that Anndi McAfee did a bad job, but there was something about Candace's performance that made the character cuter and more endearing, imo.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Cera suffers from some severe character neglect. It is easy and lazy for writers to caricature her into the “mad” threehorn. The best development I saw of Cera was dealing with Tria and Topsy’s romance; Cera coping with not being the sole star headed apple of her father’s eye. 

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, it does seem like she got flanderized in the later sequels. I think that happened with Topsy as well, in fact. They became stereotypical "grumpy" characters.