The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Lbt 8

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol.. Welcome back Littlefoot1616 =p
You should try to learn japonese it's wayyyyy much better than spanish   :rolleyes:
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Recently I hear from many people that they want to learn Japanese. I'm a bit surprised at this. Japan is a major industrial giant for many decades already, nevertheless interest in Japanese language never used to be that high. I wonder if it has anything to do with the immense spreat of Japanese Manga animation art in recent years. Still if I had the choice I'd go for Spanish which is a language spoken in South and middle America, the Carribian and also regions of the Pacific. Japanese I think is mainly limited to Japan itself I think or to business talks. However, I doubt that speaking it would cause an angry mob chasing you Jason, or are they that hostile towards Japanese where you live? The language sounds somewhat melodical. I know but very few words and can write my name in Japanese. The fact that learning Japanese means also learning that script would somewhat frighten me away. Though the script is certainly easier than the Chinese, it is still more complicate than our basic 26 letters alphabet.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
LOL! Dont worry Malte! I dont have some major issues with a gang group of Triads or anything! PMSL!!! It's just that the phrases I know are very liable to strike up a brawl... nothing offensive but "Oni-guishimas! Go-shinjitsu! Turi...ooki!" I would be promptly expecting a punch launched at my head!!! (Spelling's not accurate but the phrase is correct)!   :lol: :ph43r:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm.. don't learn spanish it really stinks =p  If there's a nice language to learn is Italian it's very melodical and cheerfull.. even though there aren't that many speakers
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looking back I wish I took Latin in high school rather than French.  :huh:  Latin may be for the most part--dead--but it can help you with English or so I hear.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I dunno about that! I took Latin as a part course in year 9 but dropped it part way through! Just didnt like it! The only word I can remember out of those classes was a word that my friend looked up whilst we were waiting for the teacher. It was along the lines of "titalantus". Apparently, if memory serves me well, it means "for that which desires (or needs) to be tickled"... Dont think I particularly want to develop on that but it was funny at the time and it ticked the teacher off something chronic!!! Just said it randomly in certain conversations and sentences... strangely enough, I dont think the teacher knew what it meant... :lol:

P.S. I love the way we've gone completely off the topic that this page has been initially setup for...PMSL!  :D  :P

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Bruton the Iguanodon

Actually I didn't find LBT 3 that bad at all. The plotline is alright with me, there are some spectacular scenes (I love the one where they step out on that ledge overlooking the Mysterious Beyond and discovering the water trapped there), some real dilemas for the characters (especially for Cera), and the kind of bullies most of us probably made their own experiences with.
The end was a bit like a "moral clup" (the bullies changed very extreme and very suddenly and the last part about sharing would have appeared less like a preach if if hadn't been squeezed into the last few minutes), but still I liked LBT 3.

Glad you like it! I do too. I consider it really underated, and I think it's tied with 4 as my faovrite.  ;)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Ice Age meets The Land Before Time. I don't remember much about this one except for Mr. Thicknose (who becomes important in series), the hot springs and fact the herds (including Mr. Threehorn) leave the Great Valley to find warmth, Spike getting semi-adopted, and the Sharptooth's animation being very similar to the Original. For some reason this felt like a holiday Land Before Time to me, one to watch in December.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Movie 8 was okay not great I thought the plot was decent at most. The character Mr. Thicknose was alright even tho he lied a ton through out the movie about snow being fake and not real that put the gang in danger since cold kills plants and they had no food left at all. The songs I liked a lot they where all good songs. Very catchy and worth listening to as well.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 26 2017 on  04:30 AM
Movie 8 was okay not great I thought the plot was decent at most. The character Mr. Thicknose was alright even tho he lied a ton through out the movie about snow being fake and not real that put the gang in danger since cold kills plants and they had no food left at all. The songs I liked a lot they where all good songs. Very catchy and worth listening to as well.
It definitely was a nice change of climate for the genre. It highlighted the fact that kids think snow is cool and fun until they are freezing all time, and food becomes scarce.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
As with #7, this one was completely new to me.

Much like how the previous film focused on Petrie, here I liked that Ducky and Spike's relationship was explored, and Ducky's mother also had a nice supporting role. This is probably the most development any of them have had up to this point. Tippy's mother was a solid supporting character as well. Although I did find it just a bit too predictable that Spike's absence was going to be temporary, and that in the end he'd realize who his true family was and would go back to them. In particular, the scene where Spike falls under the ice and Ducky's mother dives in to save him felt unnecessary to me. It seemed like it was only there to establish a point that had already been established.

They did some really weird things about the colors. For example we had green skies, and changing color paterns of the main characters, which, though they may have served the purpose of showing that they were cold, seemed exaggerated.
I loved the look of the green skies. It may not have been realistic, per say, but it added a beautiful yet surreal aesthetic to the winter atmosphere of the film. I do agree though that the changing colour palette of the characters was exaggerated.

Another point I have to criticize about LBT 8 was the very poor sharptooth. Roll a snowball at it, and it won't dodge like Mr. Thicknose did, who was actually closer to that snowball. In fact they even have to thank the sharptooth for giving Mr. Thicknose the fright that chases him up that mountain. Gee, nothing like the really scary sharptooth we knew from the original movie.
Agreed. They could've done a better job with the sharptooth in this film. Even some of the other sharpteeth in the sequels were more threatening. :/

I likewise agree with some of the above comments about how everything seemed to happen too fast. Although for me it was weird, because this one felt both slow and rushed at the same time. There was a slow build-up to certain parts, like with winter actually arriving, and then the driving conflict of Spike leaving the Great Valley with the spiketail herd. Yet, those same parts also felt like they could've lasted longer and been more fleshed out. The LBT films are all quite short, and for some of them it works fine, but this one I wish had been longer. The central conflict seemed to end too quickly.

Ironically, despite the even slower pace, I thought LBT 3 was pretty good, and in fact one of the better sequels. It had solid character development and touched on some poignant themes. Which leads me to this...

Actually I didn't find LBT 3 that bad at all. The plotline is alright with me, there are some spectacular scenes (I love the one where they step out on that ledge overlooking the Mysterious Beyond and discovering the water trapped there), some real dilemas for the characters (especially for Cera), and the kind of bullies most of us probably made their own experiences with.
The end was a bit like a "moral clup" (the bullies changed very extreme and very suddenly and the last part about sharing would have appeared less like a preach if if hadn't been squeezed into the last few minutes), but still I liked LBT 3.

It is funny how different people like the movies. There are hardly any LBT fans to be found who favor or disfavor exactly the same LBT movies. And that's good the way it is!
Glad you like it! I do too. I consider it really underated, and I think it's tied with 4 as my faovrite.  ;)
Once again, I agree. And yeah, regarding Malte's last point (which I highlighted), I've noticed that already with my time on the forum. The closest thing to a unanimous opinion is that most people seem to enjoy the first film the best. Aside from that, everyone has their own ranking of which sequels they do and don't enjoy. It's hard to single out which sequel is the most popular.

Some issues aside, I thought this was an enjoyable film all in all. The winter atmosphere was a great concept, and the overall plot was pretty good. As Gentle Sharptooth pointed out, it felt like a holiday film, one to watch in December. I'm pleased that, even with this many films, they are still finding ways to make them feel fresh and distinct. #6 was a western, #7 had aliens, and now #8 is winter themed.

I give this one a 6.75/10. (Update: Or maybe that rating is a bit too low. Overall I really liked this one.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:06:58 AM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I did my initial LBT movie sessions over the spring and summer of this year. Since then, I have seen a few of the films a second time. I wasn't originally planning to include #8 on my rewatch list, or at least not so soon. I was thinking that maybe I'd wait another year or so and then do all of the movies together on my next marathon.

However, I was in a conversation with Anagnos, OwlsCantRead, and Flathead770 recently, where we were talking about the part where the Gang builds a snowman of Spike. I said that, despite having watched the movie not that long ago, I didn't remember that part at all, and Flathead then suggested a rewatch was in order. I decided he was right, and so here I am. I just saw the movie again yesterday, and have compiled some new thoughts for my re-review. This was always one of my favourites of the series and so I was looking forward to seeing it again. :yes

The aforementioned scene also contains a lovely piece of music, originally a cue from the seventh film. Thanks to Owls for showing this to me.

Anyway, I noticed that the film opens on Ducky & Spike, indicating them to be the main characters of this one. Right in the first few scenes, we see that Ducky is already tense with Spike (even before the other Spiketails show up), foreshadowing the film's conflict.

And this brings us to "The Mad Song".
:rolleye
This is a symptom of the issue I have with Cera in some of the later films, where I feel that she got a bit flanderized into being the "angry" member of the group. Normally she's my second favourite character, but still, that always kinda bugged me. Regardless, it does lead to a great moment later on when Ducky blames Cera for encouraging her to be angry in the first place. :DD More generally, I like the idea of exploring Ducky's darker side, contrasting with her normally sweet nature (which itself contrasts so much from Cera). It's an aspect of Ducky's character I wish had been shown further in the series.

Mr. Thicknose educating the kids at the beginning seems like it's their equivalent to school. They also do a good job at making his lecture come across painfully dull. :p

I've seen complaints about the film's pacing (which I even discussed myself in my original review), but I do like that the snowfall gets a slow build-up. Although I still wish that the second half of the film, after Spike leaves the valley, had lasted longer.

Mr. Threehorn is still quite mean, but we at least see he's no longer racist, as he tries to backtrack/clarify on his words when the Spiketails announce their departure from the valley, making it clear that he doesn't blame the Spiketails for the valley's predicament.

I was critical of the film before for its underwhelming Sharptooth, and I still think that's something that could've been done better. However, watching the film a second time and it made me realize; I don't feel that the Sharptooth was meant to be the true villain here. The central conflict comes from Ducky & Spike, and the harsh winter that descends upon the valley. Still, I think that the Sharptooth menace either should have been played up, or else removed entirely. The latter might've been better, in fact. They already managed to build a compelling story and provide a sense of danger without really needing to have a main 'villain.' The Sharptooth doesn't even show up until the 50-minute mark!

Despite the tense situation with Spike, I like that there's no animosity between Ducky's mother and Tippy's. I also love the scene later on after the Spiketails have journeyed beyond the valley, when they start sliding around and crashing into each other. A classic moment for sure.

Another great moment:
Mr. Thicknose: "Am I correct in understanding that you're going into the Mysterious Beyond? Without your parents' permission?"
Cera: "No."
Petrie: "Yes."
Littlefoot: "Maybe."
*Mr. Thicknose glares silently at them.*
Littlefoot: "Okay, yes."

I kinda wish Spike had departed for good at the end with the Spiketail herd, while still resolving his conflict with Ducky by having them part amiably. It would've meant splitting up the iconic Gang for the rest of the series and the creators/writers almost certainly wouldn't have wanted that. But I do think it would have made for a much more bittersweet and emotional ending, and ultimately a more impactful film.

Still, I like this one a lot. One of the most atmospheric in the series.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:16:06 PM by StardustSoldier »