The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Wonderful Circle of Life

Zimba

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Great story Rammy,I know I haven't commented before but I been following this from the start,sorry that your a bit depressed,but thats teen life for you-it sucks.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
^^
I do recall you commenting on the first chapter. :lol

Yeah... teen years and depression both suck big time, but I got through it. I managed to finish Chapter 11 last night (when I was supposed to be doing homework :p), and it's at least 50% longer than the average of the other chapters, so... make sure you have a little bit more time to read. :o

I'll see how I feel and if I'm happy I'll upload it later this week. Some really shocking stuff happens, but I won't spoil anything else. :P:

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice one, Molly! :)

I like how you described how both Thunderfoot's and Tosa's lives had been since they had been separated from each other. I haven't seen the ep with Saro in it yet but from what I've just read he seems alright :yes. Who else would this mysterious Longneck be but Sorrel? :p I wouldn't mind being surprised though :lol
So Sorrel's gone and the herd Tosa and Patrice are in seems to be a terrible one. Linnaea (who is not Tosa's child, right?) seems like a little cutie and adventurer, but for whatever reasons (we'll probably see in the next chp) Linnaea's treated badly by the herd. She doesn't seem to bother though :lol:

Like I said before, not every chapter's as good and exiting as others but that's only natural. Your upper quality chapters ARE pretty well-written so not so exiting ones are still good and enjoyable :yes
Besides, you should look at the whole thing instead of single chapters :)

Looking forward to the next one (but take your time to upload it if you need some :yes)!
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I haven't seen the ep with Saro in it yet but from what I've just read he seems alright :yes.
Saro's a whiny little tantrum toddler in the TV episode. I've given him a different personality here though, just to make him a little more likable. He's a bit of a goofball. :lol

(who is not Tosa's child, right?)
Of course she isn't! Tosa's still a bit too young to be having her own kids yet.

but for whatever reasons (we'll probably see in the next chp) Linnaea's treated badly by the herd.
It's to do with her parentage... and the fact that everyone in the herd's just naturally against what she's 'destined' to do. :nyah

You'll see more about it next chapter. Actually, I'll probably upload that within the next few days. :DD I'm in a happy chappy mood.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Right-o. Next chapter, since I've already started the 13th one now and I have absolutely nothing else to do with my life right now. No, really. I'm just sat here at my dad's... not being talked to. Thanks again, stepmother! Love you too! :rolleyes

----------

Chapter 11: Shockers and Storytellers

Thunderfoot awoke early that morning to the sound of water dripping from the top of the cave they were sleeping in and Saro's loud snoring. He looked out of the entrance, but saw no sign of the longneck that he had seen the day before. He had probably taken cover for the night and would probably still be there now.

Saro soon woke up and joined his side again.

“Shall we go?” he suggested, obviously not willing to see to that longneck like Thunderfoot was.

“Sure.” Thunderfoot didn't move for a few moments, though, as he still looked over the horizon, trying to spot that longneck.

“Well, come on then!” Saro gently pushed his friend to get him moving.

The two carried on walking alongside the rocky mountain, trying to find a way in. They didn't talk too much on the way, mostly because Thunderfoot was still thinking about what he had seen the previous day.

“Um... Thunderfoot?”

“Yes, Saro?”

“How about this tunnel?” Saro was behind Thunderfoot, and next to him was a large tunnel that Thunderfoot had just walked straight past.

“Oh... right...”

“What would you do without me, huh?” Saro asked, playfully hitting Thunderfoot's head with his tail.

“I suppose I wasn't really paying attention,” Thunderfoot answered. “We could have a look and see if it leads to a way in.”

The tunnel was a squeeze in some areas, and would've been impossible for Thunderfoot and Saro if they were fully grown, which fortunately, they weren't just yet.

When they finally got out, the atmosphere was... eerie. It was as silent as it was in the wasteland on the other side, and they were looking out over a huge open field. Not a single creature was there.

Suddenly, Thunderfoot heard a noise behind him, and was confused to see Saro pushing a huge boulder over the tunnel exit.

“What are you doing?”

“I have a bad feeling...” Saro grunted as he used the side of his body to push the rock that was almost as big as him. “I could use some help.”

Thunderfoot didn't object; he decided that he would question Saro further once the job was done. It didn't take too long before that could happen.

“Care to tell me why you're acting so weird?”

“I'm trusting my instincts, Thunderfoot,” Saro replied as he eyed the lifeless area. “I've done so my whole life and they've never failed me, and right now they're telling me to seal off that entrance.”

Thunderfoot just rolled his eyes as if he was mad, and started to walk further into this strange place.

“The herd's probably just on the other side,” he said calmly. “Come on.”

He hadn't seen Saro so nervous before, and he could feel the unnerving atmosphere himself, but he tried to shrug it off as much as he could. Along the way, there were no dinosaurs at all, and there was a strange silence in a place that should be buzzing with life, however small that life would be.

“I don't like this,” Saro said eventually. “Not one bit.”

Thunderfoot chose to ignore his comment. He was coming out with a lot of similar ones since they had gotten in.

“Well, well... it seems our story speakers are here.”

Both of the young males quickly turned towards where the voice had come from, and Thunderfoot was especially surprised by the face that greeted him. He would have been a fool not to recognise him...

It appeared like said longneck was thinking the same thing. He narrowed his eyes slightly as he inspected the bluish-grey longneck. “It's Thunderfoot, if I'm not mistaken?”

“Rye,” Thunderfoot answered quietly. “It's been a while.”

Rye smiled warmly at him, surprising the younger longneck. “It sure has been. Back then, I was a silly little kid who liked to bully... certain others. Looks like you survived that fire that struck our old home, then?”

“Just about,” Thunderfoot replied. “How come you didn't come out of the fire escape path by our herd? I thought you were dead.”

“My father and I were at a different part of the valley at the time,” Rye explained. “We got out a different way, and-”

“Did you join Tosa's herd?” Thunderfoot asked hopefully. Rye swallowed hard, and took a few moments to think of an answer.

“For a short while, yes,” he answered.

“Did she think I was dead?”

“Yes. She was... quite devastated,” Rye answered, a false sadness in his voice which Saro detected immediately. “But I'm sure she moved on.”

Thunderfoot stood in silence for a few moments, biting his bottom lip as he thought of another question. “Do you know where she is now?”

“No.” Rye's answer was quick and sharp. Thunderfoot decided not to ask anything else for the time being, so the older, brown longneck spoke up again. “The children are waiting for you both in a clearing. You'll find it if you head that way.” He gestured towards a gap in the trees.

“Oh. Well, the adults are welcome to join us, too,” said Saro, feeling even more nervous around the larger longneck.

“Yes,” Rye answered, seemingly uninterested. “Unfortunately, most of us adults are busy. You'll have to excuse me; I have to gather the council.”

“O-okay,” Thunderfoot answered. Rye gave him a nod and a smile, before turning tail and heading away.

Saro frowned. “That was Rye?” he asked apprehensively. Of course, he had heard all about the little brat from Thunderfoot.

“Indeed. Seems he's... changed.” Thunderfoot was looking at the area where Rye had disappeared into suspiciously. “Less bratty, at least.” A thought suddenly struck him. “He also didn't apologise for his behaviour in our childhood.”

“Were you expecting him to?” Saro questioned, raising an eyebrow at his friend.

Thunderfoot sighed in exasperation. “I suppose not,” he admitted, before continuing on towards the gap Rye had directed him to. “Come on.”

Saro reluctantly followed. This place was giving him the creeps, and he wanted to get out as soon as possible. Thunderfoot, too, was feeling tense, but tried his best to not show it at all. It wasn't long before they could hear the chattering of young voices, and soon the two larger longnecks found themselves in the clearing amongst the youngsters.

Time to start telling stories.

~

Meanwhile, Rye had gathered his council, but none of them were longnecks. Instead, fast biters, both large and small, had crowded around his huge body. Among them, was a particularly small, scrawny, yet useful carnivore. His name was Alvarez, and because of his small size and limited threat, he had lived among the leaf eaters, and had picked up the language. He was a fairly new addition to the group, and Rye had ordered respect to him, since beforehand many of the larger biters would pick on him. He was a good translator; by far the best among all carnivores in that crater, in fact.

Rye had formed an alliance with these fast biters since he had taken over the herd, mostly to keep an eye on other herd members and prevent anyone from escaping. However, there were some translating errors at first, which almost proved disastrous. That was, until Alvarez came along. He could speak both the leaf-eater language and Sharptooth fluently, and proved to be a handy translator for Rye. In exchange for his usefulness, Rye offered the small sharptooth sanctuary in 'his crater'.

It was a fair enough exchange, and Rye trusted Alvarez completely. However, he couldn't have ever known whose side he was truly on...

He had explained his encounter with Thunderfoot and Saro. “Whatever you do,” he muttered to the small sharptooth, “don't let him know she's here! I won't have him try to get her to go with him!”

“Yes, sir,” Alvarez said, before translating to the others in a high-pitched roar, in contrast to his deep leaf-eater speaking voice. They all nodded in agreement and scattered back to the places by the entrances and exits of the crater. All had ignored the cave. They knew the main person who tried to escape would not leave without their entire family, and at least one member was too big too fit through that way.

~

Good, she's asleep.

Patrice had gone out to do her usual daily business, and Tosa was having her usual nap, after yet another bad night's sleep. Linnaea saw her chance. She very quietly tip-toed towards the thick foliage, where she knew she would be protected from the larger beings. She instantaneously stood still when she heard a yawn coming from behind her, but luckily, the larger female had not woken up just yet.

She scattered into the bushes, feeling a tingle of excitement. She hadn't felt so rebellious in her life! Linnaea had not wandered off many times on her own, but being the curious hatchling she was, she felt like she had to have the odd adventure, even if it made her two guardians worried sick. Seriously: Tosa had actually made herself weak and disorientated because she was so worried when Linnaea ran off the first time.

“And where might you be off to?” Linnaea's excitement soon turned to sheer dread. If it wasn't a voice she knew well, it probably belonged to something dangerous. She stopped dead in her tracks, but didn't dare look in the direction the voice had come from.

Alvarez calmly walked towards her. “So, you must be Linnaea. Am I correct?” He noticed the young longneck shaking as she watched him, her eyes full of terror. She only nodded in reply.

Alvarez ran one of his clawed fingers down her spine, feeling the young scales. It only alarmed the longneck even more, but she was so petrified, she couldn't move. “I can see the resemblance with your father very much. Your mother, on the other hand... I can't say you look very much like her, besides the eye colour.”

Linnaea finally found the courage to speak up. “I-I don't h-have a f-f-father...” she whispered.

“Yes you do,” Alvarez said with a low growl in his voice that was almost covered by the leaf-eater sounds he was making. He circled her, keeping a keen eye on the instinctively frightened being. “You may not have been told it, but you do.”

Linnaea said nothing to his. Whenever she had asked about a father – either to Tosa or Patrice – she would get the answer that she didn't have one. Did that mean they had been lying to her?

“One day, he will take you away from those longnecks you currently live with,” Alvarez explained, now looking at the longneck's feet. The bottom quarter of her legs, including her feet, were lighter than her main body colour. Instead, they were the same colour as the young one's light brown underbelly. Tosa must have hated living with the hatchling when she was the image of her father.

“N-no...” Linnaea stammered. “I like living with them... they keep me safe.”

“They may not be able to keep you safe forever,” Alvarez warned, a ferocity in his voice. He did not want the hatchling to forget any of his words, and scaring them into her head was one of the best ways he knew how to do it.

“Yes, they will,” Linnaea said quietly, still shivering from this first encounter with a talking sharptooth.

“They won't. One day, he will come for you, and he'll do the same to you what his father did to him...”

“Which was what?”

“That, I am forbidden to say.” Alvarez sighed. He still kept a very keen eye on the longneck, who gulped as she stared at him.

“Who is he?” Linnaea asked.

Alvarez grimaced. He knew she would tell Tosa the second she found out, which would prove disastrous.

“I can't say, child. All I can say is that he'll turn you into the monster you are destined to be.”

Fear suddenly turned to anger. Linnaea's toes dug into the ground in frustration. She hated that word. She HATED it!

Alvarez yelped in surprise when two front feet pinned him down. He was even more shocked when he heard the young snarls coming from the longneck child. She was furious. Perhaps he had gone a little too far with his words...

“Don't you dare call me that...” she growled, putting more pressure onto the sharptooth's chest and neck, starving him of air.

To her anger, the fast biter just gave her a twisted grin, despite that he was going to die if she carried on with what she was doing, even though she didn't realise it.

“You carry on, missy, and others will definitely see your father in you,” he managed to choke out before he completely ran out of air.

What was she doing? Linnaea looked into the fast biter's eyes, and saw that although he was still patronizing her, he was terrified of what she was doing. She immediately backed off, releasing the sharptooth and allowing him to breathe again. He coughed and spluttered for a while, but it took longer for him to actually get back up.

Linnaea stared at him, wide-eyed. She was trembling now, her anger turning back into dread, but this time it wasn't because of the carnivore standing in front of her, who was now equally as scared. She was terrified of herself. She was unaware of what she was capable of. How could have done that? Why would she have done that? Was she just about to kill another dinosaur?

It felt like an eternity. The carnivore and the herbivore... staring at each other, both trembling from the experience.

“I-Is that what he's like?” Linnaea finally blurted out. “Does he do stuff like that?”

“And worse,” Alvarez answered. “He would actually go through with it.”

“I... I... I'm sorry,” she whispered, tears falling down her face. “I didn't mean to...”

“Maybe I was wrong about you.” Alvarez approached, pondering over the situation. “You managed to stop yourself. You certainly have the self-control your mother must have possessed. I suppose that although you may not seem much like her on the outside, you definitely have her kind heart on the inside. Thank you, Linnaea, for sparing me.”

Linnaea said nothing, surprised by this sudden change of attitude. She watched the fast biter's face soften and become more friendly, which only confused her further. He gently placed a claw on her head and stroked her, and she started to become edgy again.

Alvarez suddenly stiffened and sniffed the air. There were other fast biters nearby.

“Okay, I'll do an exchange,” he said, suddenly turning to the hatchling. “Follow me, and hurry!”

She wasn't sure whether to trust him, but he seemed agitated by something, and deep down, Linnaea could sense other danger nearby. She ran after him for a good few minutes, and was well out of breath by the time they stopped.

“Go through there,” Alvarez instructed, pointing a claw through a gap where Linnaea could hear voices. “There's a group of kids and two newcomers there. They're telling stories and I'm sure they'll offer you help if you ask them nicely.”

He didn't notice her flinch when he told her about the other kids, and just gave her a gentle push as she seemed hesitant to go through.

“Oh, and one more thing,” he said quietly. “Don't mention this meeting to anybody, okay? I won't tell anyone, either.”

“Okay,” Linnaea answered. “Thank you.”

“Hold on. Final thing.” Alvarez wished he didn't have the ability to remember important stuff at the last second. “You and your family are going to get out of here. I promise.”

Linnaea didn't respond to this. She just gave him a quick nod and headed into the clearing, trying to make sure everyone else was oblivious to her presence. She kept to the low-lying bushes, and luckily everyone else's attention was drawn to the two older longnecks, one of which was talking in a loud, clear voice. It seemed to be a voice full of power and emotion. A voice that could draw anybody's attention.

Linnaea looked at the male with awe as he told the story. It was the story of the Lone Dinosaur, who had rid a paradise called the Great Valley of the biggest, meanest, sharptooth ever.

All of the children cheered at the end, and Linnaea couldn't help herself.

She wished she hadn't done that. All of the kids she knew hated her now knew she was there, and the stares and glares made her feel extremely uncomfortable.

“Well, hello there,” came a friendly voice. Linnaea gazed up at the largest longneck there; the bluish-grey male who had been telling the story. “Where did you come from?”

“Er...” She wasn't used to talking to strangers, and curiously enough, she had felt less terrified around the sharptooth than the male longneck.

Saro raised an eyebrow as he watched the other kids' behaviour. It looked like they despised the brown hatchling. He whispered his doubts into Thunderfoot's ear, and he could tell his friend had listened, as he was now thinking intently as he watched the young girl slowly back off.

“Care to join us, kid?” Saro asked with a friendly smile on his face. “You can sit with us if you feel a bit shy.”

Linnaea just nodded, and cautiously walked towards the adults.

She found herself lying by Thunderfoot's foreleg as he told more stories. She hardly listened to any of them, as she kept thinking of what Alvarez had told her. She had almost killed him, and that, according to him, is something her father would do. Then she also thought about the last thing he had said about getting her out of this place. Was that even possible? What was the outside world like? Was it paradise, or was it worse than this?

I'm sure they'll offer you help if you ask them nicely.

Wait, that was it! Linnaea could ask these storytellers to help her, Tosa and Patrice escape! She closed her eyes and smiled to herself as she imagined life away from the place she currently resided in. Perhaps she would make new friends. Perhaps there would be somebody out there besides her carers who would actually like her!

“What are you thinking about, weirdo?”

Linnaea's eyes snapped open as she was drawn back into the real world. She saw a few angry looking faces glaring at her.

“Nothing,” she answered quietly.

“All right, children,” said Thunderfoot. He turned to Linnaea. “What was your name again, little one?”

“That's Linnaea,” one of the children answered for her. “But Monster's probably a better name for her.”

Suddenly, the calm story session became chaotic. The other children instantly turned on Linnaea, calling her that name over and over again, until finally, she could take it any more.

“Stop it, stop it, STOP IT!” she cried. She buried her head into Thunderfoot's side and bawled, which horrified the older longnecks.

“Uh... okay. Story time's over, kids. Go back to your parents,” Saro said sternly, but they hardly budged.

Then things got even stranger when a fast biter emerged from the bushes.

“I'll add an ending onto the story of yours,” he said. “A hungry fast biter then came along and ate all of the pesky little kids.” He let out a roar which sent the children running for their lives.

Alvarez looked behind him to Linnaea, who was heavily sobbing. She looked at him for a few moments before he broke the gaze and calmly walked off.

“That was... strange,” Saro commented. Thunderfoot barely acknowledged what he said, as he was trying to comfort the crying hatchling, but it was proving to be useless.

“Why...? Why does... everyone... hate me...?” she said in between sobs.

“Hush. I don't hate you,” Thunderfoot said calmly.

“Everyone else does, though,” Linnaea answered. “Especially those other kids. They did this to me when I accidentally bumped into one of them.”

Saro and Thunderfoot gasped in horror when Linnaea turned onto her back, revealing a few scars on her stomach.

“I told them that I tripped over by mistake,” Linnaea said, but now the two males didn't know who she was talking about. “But I didn't... they got a sharp rock and tried to... tried to...”

She let out a scream and buried her head into Thunderfoot's leg.

“I told you something was wrong here!” Saro yelled over the child's screams. “Why would those kids do such a thing?!”

Thunderfoot didn't answer as he desperately tried to calm Linnaea down.

“Linnaea! What's going on?!” came a voice. The ageing female rushed forward and pulled Linnaea towards her, before turning angrily to Thunderfoot.

“You!” she snarled. “What in the name of all the great and good do you think you were-”

She cut herself off as she closely inspected the longneck in front of her. Both pairs of eyes widened as the realisation came to them.

For a few moments, the only sound was the continuing sobs coming from Linnaea as she cuddled up against the female. The two longnecks stared at each other in disbelief.

“Patrice?”

“...Thunderfoot...”

----------

Dun, dun, DUUUUUUNN!

I'm sure you all know what at least part of the next chapter is going to be. Cue bittersweet music, anyone?  :smile

Oh, and if I didn't make it clear in the chapter, Linnaea didn't know she was suffocating Alvarez, otherwise she wouldn't have done it. She's not a psycho; it was just a simple mistake. That and she hates that particular word, as you can probably tell from her reaction from both times she was called it. :o

Alvarez is a bit strange, huh? You'll soon see the real reason why he's actually there. I won't spoil anything yet, though.

The kids in this herd are completely demented! Gawd guys, she's just a kid! Then again, they had been influenced by the rest of the herd. Good job Thunderfoot and Saro were there to stop it this time... along with Alvarez.

See Tosa? Don't fall asleep if you think that kid's going to wander off. Then again, she didn't know, and she seemed to be flippin' tired! Okay, I blame Patrice. :p

Uh, dunno what else to say unless it's self-criticism, which I won't be doing. I've already started on Chapter 13 since I'm on a roll this week. :P: I'll try to remember to upload that over the next week if I can. :yes

Other than that, enjoy this... unusually large chapter. For me, anyway. :lol

Oh, and slight warning. Be prepared for a LOT of dialogue in the next couple of chapters. They explain everything.

Zimba

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Great as always Rammykins :D.

Since Nahla gone on her horse thingy I'm taking her place for the week wahaha (Well she left me behind).

Poor  Linnaea,she reminds me of Nahla with how she being called monster. It sad the other kids tired to kill her  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Long chapter so long review :smile

There are quite some similarities to other fics, I noticed, mainly to HDYSL from Nahla :DD First there's be Rye who has a pack of Fastbiters (like Hades) and he seems to be the leader plus he's an a** as it seems. Second there is Linnaea (love her name) who is hated by almost everyone (like Nahla) and being called a monster (how mean  :anger ). Besides, she's being bullied like Thunderfoot in his childhood.

I particularly like the talk and the fight between our sweet Longneck Girl and Alvarez (though you spelled him Alverez sometimes :P:). I knew what was going to happen since you spoiled it :lol but what happened after the fight really surprised me in a good way. This guy's willing to help Linnaea, eh what? :wow I like the fact you created him with the ability to speak Leafeater.
Thunderfoot did a good job encouraging Linnaea to stay but those darn kids bullied her in a disgusting way... I feel so sorry for her, plus some lines make me believe you based Linnaea a little bit on yourself (Greetings to SRFG's step-mum :wave).
But what happened then sent me smiling widely :smile

Oh... gotta love these next few chapters :D Keep writing!

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
@Zimmy: Thanks! I know. I must have been in a fairly dark mood when I wrote this. I'm just noticing myself how much this part of the story is like Nahla's HDISL... besides the fact that Linnaea doesn't end up with a childhood sweetheart and *Geez spoilers*.

@Ducky123: Yeah. Rye is quite a bit like Hades, especially with something he's done to *flippin' spoiler*. He just uses to pack to mostly guard the exits and they usually stay clear of the herd since they're all... quite huge. :p

Indeed. Linnaea does seem to go through torture sometimes with those damn kids, but I'm sure her future will be brighter. :DD

I've fixed those spelling mistakes. Thank you for pointing them out. I'd had them all spelt as Avlerez before I found out that it was actually Alvarez(saurus), so I'm not surprised I missed a few changes out. That guy is a going to be a mystery for a while, but you'll eventually find out what the crack is with him. I thought it would be nice to add a few more sharptooth characters to make the story more interesting. It would be a bit hard for them to communicate if he didn't speak leaf-eater now, wouldn't it? :P:

Well, Linnaea isn't really based on me. I know my stepmother hates me and ignores me... okay, that is what the herd does a lot to Linnaea. :o It was unintentional though!

As I said, be prepared for a lot of explaining...

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Me back again. Sorry it took over a week, but I had a bit of an 'off' phase for writing in the middle of the week, and I really had to make some changes to some parts.

----------

Chapter 12: Reunions and Revelations

Saro was beginning to think that this was a staring competition. Thunderfoot and Patrice just stared at each, wide-eyed, with their mouths hanging wide open.

“You two carry on, and you'll both get a bunch of buzzers on those tongues of yours,” he finally said.

Thunderfoot finally gazed at him, looking utterly shocked. Patrice also looked over to him, only now realising that the other young male was there. Linnaea finally calmed down, and was now looking from one longneck to another in confusion. How did these two even know each other?

“The filthy liar...” Thunderfoot muttered in frustration.

“I beg your pardon?”

“Rye,” he explained. “He told me you and Tosa weren't here.”

Patrice rolled her eyes and tutted. “Yes, well he would say that,” she said in a sarcastic tone. She carefully picked up Linnaea and placed the young one on her back. The ageing female then gestured for the two males to follow her through some thin foliage.

“Now, my head if buzzing with questions,” she started,” but number one is this: what in the heck are you still doing walking around the world? We all thought you had gotten yourself killed in that fire years ago!”

“Lucky break,” Thunderfoot answered. “Unfortunately we couldn't go back to your herd. We weren't too sure if you would wait.”

“Oh, we waited for a while,” said Patrice. “If only for Tosa's sake, but it may not have been time enough for you and your grandfather to get back to us, anyway. It was probably a good decision to stay in that herd.”

Thunderfoot frowned at this. “I suppose that was the day I had to choose my last living relative over my best friend. Looks like the consequences weren't... too... great...”

“Well, you look like you're doing quite well. Going around places, telling those stories. Sounds like a dream we can't live, Tosa and I.”

Thunderfoot was surprised by the last few words. Was Sorrel not with them? If that was the case, it would definitely explain the Sorrel look-alike hanging around outside the crater. He took a deep breath and mustered up his courage before he asked the next question.

“What do you mean, just you and Tosa?”

Patrice bit her lip as the painful memories came back to her. “He... he gave up his role as the leader of this herd. Rye seemed to have become quite a well brought-up and polite longneck, and seemed like a good choice, but he was hiding his true colours.”

She walked on for a fairly long time before carrying on.

“Sorrel was the only barrier between Rye and Tosa and after he learned about what Rye's real plans were, he fought for his position back. Unfortunately, he took things so far that... Rye banished him to the outside. We haven't heard a word of him since... He... he's probably...”

Patrice refused to carry on, and just shook her head. “Sorry.”

“You needn't apologise to me,” said Thunderfoot. “It sounds like you've had it real rough since Rye took over...”

“You haven't heard the start of it yet.” Patrice sighed and kicked a rock in agitation. “Rye's taken things to a whole new level of deranged, and we're the ones paying for it.”

Thunderfoot and Saro kept silent, unsure of what to say to her.

“We should be reaching Tosa soon,” Patrice said after a few moments of the awkward silence. “I think I know how she's going to be feeling...”

“Extremely worried?” Linnaea suggested, still looking upset from the earlier events.

“No thanks to you,” Patrice said with a smile. Linnaea just gave her an innocent looking grin in reply.

“Sorry.”

“I should tell you to not do it again, but you never listen, therefore I won't bother,” said Patrice, rolling her eyes sarcastically.

“I won't this time...” Linnaea said quietly, looking down as tears formed in her eyes again. “Promise... I'll never sneak off again...”

Patrice looked to Thunderfoot questionably, but he just said that he would explain later, when Linnaea was out of earshot.

He couldn't wait to see her again, but Thunderfoot felt like this walk was taking an eternity, and during it, he became more nervous. It seemed like the circle of life hadn't been very kind to Tosa and her family for the past few years. Also, what was the story with Linnaea? Why did everyone hate her? Why was she even living with Patrice and Tosa? How come it seemed that the world was trying to get rid of her like she was some sort of abomination? Just where had she come from?

The forest litter crunched with every step they took, along with the shaking that came with their massive weight. Finally, they came to a gap which led to a clearing with a small watering hole located within it.

Patrice went through first, but Thunderfoot and Saro stayed behind for a few moments. They exchanged looks of worry and anxiousness. So this would be it... Tosa's and Thunderfoot's reunion at last...

They soon heard a younger, more panicked voice.

“I thought I'd already told you about wandering off!” Tosa cried as she nuzzled the young one. “You'll end up being the death of me if you carry on!”

Linnaea said nothing as she cuddled her face. Thunderfoot watched sadly from behind the trees. Tosa looked nothing short of awful. She looked older than she was, she seemed immensely tired and stressed out, and just didn't seem like the happy, carefree longneck Thunderfoot had known her to be.

He gradually and quietly stepped through the gap in the trees, and waited patiently. Tosa had her back turned to him as she gently scolded Linnaea. Patrice looked up at him and just gave him the nod of approval to come forward.

“She was with those story speakers,” Patrice explained. “I told you she might have wanted to go.”

“Where are they now?” Tosa asked.

“Well, let's just say that one of them has been waiting to see you for a long time now,” Patrice said. She nudged her head in Thunderfoot's direction when Tosa gave her a confused look.

She nearly screamed in surprise when she saw that face. She had to look him up and down a few times before she could actually believe that this was who she knew it was.

“Hello, Tosa.”

She collapsed to her knees, her head feeling dizzy after seeing him. Thunderfoot rushed forward in panic.

“Are you all right?” he asked worriedly. She just looked into those reddish-brown eyes of his, still as warm and friendly-looking as ever. Tosa had not seen that look of kindness in anyone's eyes – besides her parents' – since Rye had taken over the herd and that... horrific event happened...

“I... I mean, you... you're...” She was unable to find the right words to say, and felt like she was just spluttering out gibberish.

Thunderfoot just gave her a warm smile in reply. “It's good to see you again,” he whispered. “But... this isn't quite what I was expecting.”

Still, the female said nothing, even as Saro emerged and joined Thunderfoot's side. He was taken aback when she suddenly started crying, though thankfully it didn't get to the extremes that Linnaea had gone to.

He looked over to Patrice and the hatchling, the looks on their faces telling him that this was quite common.

“Can I talk to you alone?” he finally asked. She just nodded in reply, and Patrice picked up Linnaea and prepared to leave.

“Uh... Saro?”

“Yes?”

“Private business. Get lost,” said Thunderfoot.

“Charming one, you are,” Saro commented. “And where is it I should be getting lost?”

“Here's a clever suggestion: how about you go with Patrice and get to know each other?” He turned to Patrice. “If that's okay with you, of course.”

“Oh, sure,” Patrice answered, and so Saro joined her and left Tosa and Thunderfoot in peace.

Instead of demanding answers out of her right away, Thunderfoot waited patiently for Tosa to calm down before saying anything. He lay down opposite to her, ready to talk when she was.

“You shouldn't even be alive,” she said when she finally finished crying. She was still looking at him in disbelief.

“I got lucky. Unfortunately I... couldn't convince anyone to go around to meet you, and... well, there were too many fast biters around for my grandfather and I to go alone.”

“I see. I wasn't really given enough time to wait for you, anyway...” Tosa sighed. “So... how have you been?”

“Uh... well...” Thunderfoot felt awkward that she had asked that of all questions. “Not too bad, I suppose. I had to grow up in the old herd and that was okay. I learned all of the stories from my grandfather before he finally... passed away...”

“I'm sorry,” said Tosa.

“It's okay,” Thunderfoot answered. “It wasn't too long ago, actually, so he lived a long life, and died peacefully in his sleep. I couldn't ask for much else to happen.”

Tosa just nodded in acknowledgement. Even after all these years, Thunderfoot was easy to talk to, and he was someone else she could vent to, but she decided to wait until he had finished his side of the story.

“So, since then I met Saro, and we started travelling together. Then... we ended up here.”

“Seems you've been doing quite well, then...” Tosa didn't smile. She wasn't even looking at him. Her eyes seemed distant, like she was stuck in a daydream.

“I heard things haven't been going so well for you,” Thunderfoot said.

The corners of Tosa's mouth twitched in very faint amusement. He had not idea how not-so-well things were...

“You could say that,” she answered. “I suppose Mother has already told you about...”

“Sorrel?” Thunderfoot finished for her, and she just merely nodded in reply. “I heard. I'm sorry...”

“Yes... well, we have no idea what's happened to him since then, but deep down I know he's probably...”

“He's not.” Tosa looked up at him in surprise.

“What?”

“I saw him yesterday. And if it wasn't him, then it sure looked pretty darn close.”

“You spoke to him?”

“No... he was too far away. I should have, though. Then I would've known what was going on in here.”

Tosa just shook her head, but now she had a smile showing on her face. “Even he doesn't know the full extent of what's going on here. Most of this was after he left,” she said.

“Oh? Such as what?” Thunderfoot asked curiously.

“Well, I highly doubt he knows about Linnaea. She came along after he was banished,” Tosa explained. Why was it so easy to talk to him? After all that had happened, she felt like she couldn't trust anyone but family, and Thunderfoot wasn't family. He was her friend, sure, but even friends had turned against her. All because of one small little thing she had to keep out of Rye's clutches, no matter what.

“Oh... That was going to be my next question. I don't get what the deal is with the child. Why does it seem to me like everyone's out for her?” Thunderfoot questioned.

“Because everyone is,” Tosa answered simply. “Do you not think she looks a little bit too much like someone else you might know?”

Thunderfoot thought about this for a while. Yes, he had noticed a few similarities between Linnaea and... that guy, but surely she couldn't be...

“I was going to say Rye, but...”

“But you wouldn't be wrong.” Tosa had confirmed his fears. Linnaea was Rye's offspring. “She doesn't know about him. I won't allow her to think that she's destined to become a copy of him, even though everyone else is convinced.”

“The outer layer of someone does not reflect the true beauty that lies underneath, as some people may quickly think,” said Thunderfoot.

“I can tell you've been hanging around your grandfather a lot.” Tosa actually briefly chucked for the first time in years. “Wise words.”

Well, that one of Thunderfoot's missions achieved: getting Tosa to smile again.

“Yeah, well...”

“If everyone in the herd thought the same way you did, then perhaps we wouldn't have this problem... or, we wouldn't have it as harsh, at least.” Tosa sighed.

“It's a shame that those type of dinosaurs can be a rarity.” Thunderfoot frowned at her, before looking around that place of cruelty.

“Anyway, about Linnaea... Well, you've probably figured out that she's... Rye's daughter.” She had whispered the last two words, just in case Linnaea had come back, and knowing Linnaea, it could happen. “Anyway, since he's just too stuck up and mental, I seemed to be the only other option for her. Everyone else just judged too quickly and immediately though of her as a monster, too. Rye did accept my mother and I as her carers, and it seemed that, although it resulted in a lot of fallouts with longnecks I now dislike, everyone had moved on. That doesn't seem to be the case, though. Recently, Rye appointed a new fast biter into his 'council' and that guy's been keeping a real close eye on us lately.”

“Fast biters in a council?”

“Oh, yes. Rye has his army of little carnivores that guard each entrance into this crater, otherwise I would have run away many, many years ago. Anyway, Rye came along a few days ago and started making threats about taking his 'heir' away from us soon.”

“That heir being, Linnaea, right?”

“Right. I'm really scared, Thunderfoot,” Tosa said as tears started to form in her eyes again. “I don't want him to take Linnaea away... I don't want him to turn her into what he has become. If that happens, then...” She was unable to find anything else to say, and thus was unable to finish her sentence.

She silenced herself for a few moments to pull herself together before carrying on. “The others in the herd knew this was going to happen, and some of them believe that it already is happening, which is why they tell their children to dislike her, get rid of her if they must. They see her as a plague.”

“So... it appears that just her very existence is causing problems, then,” Thunderfoot concluded. “But I can't blame a child for that.”

“Neither can I,” Tosa admitted. “Of course, it hasn't really helped much, but that's more Rye's fault than anything. He decided he wanted heirs, and since the only survivor from that nest was a female, he was too lazy and selfish to even help look after her.”

“What's the problem with females?” Thunderfoot asked, confused by the last statement.

“He believes them to be inferior,” Tosa said bluntly. “I believe his father probably planted that into his head. He's still around, unfortunately.”

“Oh, great,” Thunderfoot said sarcastically. “What's that guy been up to?”

“Well, let's just say that he has tried to kill both myself and Linnaea on multiple occasions,” Tosa answered, shocking the male in front her.

“What?!”

“Fortunately, mine and my mother's protective instincts managed to keep him at bay. Last time I believe we broke a couple of ribs and caused quite a few cuts and bruises, so he hasn't come crawling back since,” said Tosa.

“So, it's a fight for your family's survival, then...”

“Yes, and he's not the only one,” Tosa affirmed. “A few others have tried, but no one has prevailed... yet.”

Thunderfoot was at loss at what to say to her. So, in all of the time he had been living his life happily, she was suffering in worse ways than he could of ever imagined.

“How come it had to be you?” he finally asked. “Why did nobody else have the heart to take her in?”

“If it were anyone else's child, then they probably would have done so,” said Tosa. “But I had no choice. The guilt of leaving her would have killed me much sooner. It wouldn't be good for her if even her very own mother didn't like her...”

----------

Wait, whut?!

I lied to you, Ducky. Linnaea is indeed Tosa's daughter, and you'll find out why that's the case in the next chapter. ;)

I gotta say, I don't really know what else to say on this chapter. It sucks is a shorter one again, but I want to warn you now that Chapter 13 is the longest chapter so far, being over twice the amount of an average chapter in this fic, so don't say I didn't warn ya!

I'll upload Chapter 13 at the end of this week, probably. I made so many cuts/edits/changes to it, it's unbelievable, but if you ask me, the original one was far too dark for GoF standards, mostly because it deals with a really sensitive issue. Now, it's still does go through that issue, but not in a way that it would emotionally scar anyone. I'm serious. It was that bad. Note to self: do not write at dad's house again. :|

Anyway, I hope that explains a few things to you guys. Next chappie will have a lot more info again, including Rye and his father, more about Alvarez, just what happened to Tosa, and an unexpected friendship. :p

Edit: Just to let you know, the list with the links to the chapters on it in the first post has been changed slightly. I have now put up the chapter name as well as the number so that someone can be refreshed on which chapter's about what if they can't remember. I thought it might be helpful to whoever the hell uses it (probably not many yet, since the thread's only three pages long :lol).

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You evil thing! You lied to me :lol

I may have been right in the first place but I haven't known who the father is.
Things are getting more exciting I see. Tosa has changed majorly :unsure: Nice joke of Thunderfoot btw :smile Poor Saro!

Dunno what else to say... I liked the chapter, really :yes Looking forward to what happens next :)

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm still reading this; I just suck at giving constructive criticism or comments other than 'good job' on written works.  :confused
It is getting interesting. . . and complex. Keep it up!  :^.^:

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
@Ducky123: Yes... I think Zimmy's rubbing off on me. :lol

Thunderfoot and Saro are those kind of guys who are only together to annoy each other or just jokingly be rude all the time to each other. :p And thanks!

@FreckledOne: That's okay. :yes Glad you're enjoying it! :D

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For some reason  I keep reading Saro as Taro and I'm like "Wat"

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
:lol Confusing, I know, and it'll be especially so when Taro's actually born. :o I'll have to be really careful with my spelling when that happens.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I said end of the week... and nearly a month later...

Sorry, but I had to re-write this chapter for a second time. I'm still not completely happy with it to be honest, but I couldn't come up with much else.

----------

Chapter 13: Fate of Friends

Whoops.

Alvarez was looking through the bushes, straight at Thunderfoot and Tosa. Rye's orders were that Tosa and Thunderfoot were not allowed to find each other, but there was also another order that had been given to Alvarez directly.

Keep them safe. Tell me if he ever attacks them again. I need the heir.

Even Rye could see that his father was more demented than he was. Unfortunately, both of those orders had clashed with each other. While keeping an eye on Linnaea and warning her about things were soon to come, he had gotten her into danger of other fast biters. They could easily feast on the child and pretend it was a horrific accident. Alvarez would never do that. His diet consisted mostly of ground crawlers, buzzers, and the like.

In order to keep Linnaea safe, he had to hand her over to the story speakers to provide protection that he couldn't give her. He just wondered what Rye would say to that...

Eventually, Alvarez backed off when he realised that Linnaea wasn't with them. He soon smelled her out, and found her with Patrice and the other storyteller. She had been telling him pretty much what Tosa had told Thunderfoot.

“Ouch... I know what it's like to live in a harsh world, but that was a different kind of harsh,” said Saro. “I had to grow up being well aware of sharpteeth and sticking to my kind. I was naÔve to think that all herds stuck together, when this one's so broken...”

“Sometimes, that's just life,” said Patrice. “I try to see harsh things as a test to see if you can get through it. Usually it's just something small but stressful, and when it's all over, you can be happy again, but this... I know this is going to have long term effect even if it somehow finishes... especially on Tosa. She's had it harder than most of us. Bad stuff happened, and that caused a bunch of misunderstandings, which then lead to everyone disliking... well, I still have a few friends, who I visit every now and then, but Tosa... she can't trust them. She can't trust anyone these days.”

Linnaea had tried not to listen to the conversation; she wasn't interested. Instead she was stuck in a daydream, thinking about the outside world again. She then thought about Tosa and Patrice, and how she would love to see a true smile on their faces. Was it because of her that they never did that? Would they be better off if she didn't exist?

No, surely not. Linnaea hadn't really been shown much love from many, but there was the unconditional love of her mother and grandmother. They both meant the world to her, and she hoped she meant the same to them.

“I see. I'm sorry,” said Saro. He didn't know these longnecks well at all, yet he already felt so terrible for them. He just wondered how Thunderfoot must have been feeling, since these longnecks were like family to him.

“Don't dwell on it too much,” Patrice warned. “We don't mean to spread our grief around to every visitor. We were... much livelier before that fire... then, of course, things changed for the worse.”

“There's one thing I don't understand, though. There's obviously something else to it that you're not telling me, and I know it's something to do with the kid. Why does everyone else dislike her so much?”

“...That's not for me to tell you, I'm afraid,” Patrice said sadly. “If my daughter knew I had told you, she'd probably throw a rage fit.”

“Right. I won't ask any more questions in that case,” Saro said quickly, suddenly unnerved again. If there was one thing he didn't like, it was female longnecks throwing rage fits at him.

“Grandma, what's Mother doing?” Linnaea asked dreamily.

“Uh, she's, well...” Patrice swallowed hard and looked very uncertain. “She's with the other storyteller, dear.”

Saro stared at Patrice, who was obviously trying to avoid eye contact with him.

“Hold on... is Tosa her mother?”

~

“You're her mother?!”

Tosa had turned away, not wanting to see the look on her old friend's face. That was it. She had ruined it.

“You mean, her actual mother?” Thunderfoot was still in disbelief. He and Tosa were still quite a way away from being fully grown longnecks, and were considered to be too young to be thinking about having children just yet.

“Yes...” she answered finally. “I lay her egg, I nested her, she's my own flesh and blood.”

Thunderfoot needed a few moments to think, so Linnaea was Tosa's biological daughter, not adopted like he had thought she would be. Which also meant that there needed to be a father, and that was...

“Rye...” he whispered. “You mated with him?”

“Other way around,” Tosa corrected. “He mated with me.”

“...but...”

“There's no 'buts' to it, Thunderfoot,” Tosa said irritably. She sighed after a few moments and pressed her eyelids shut. “Well, it's my fault as much as it is his. I let him do what he did to me.”

Thunderfoot stared at her in surprise. “Sorry?”

“He guilt-tripped me into it.” Tosa swallowed hard as the painful memories came back to her.

“How?” Thunderfoot asked.

It took Tosa a few more minutes to think about what she was going to say. “Well, he... he told me that his father had threatened to kill him if he didn't produce heirs. I told him that it wasn't my concern and that he was being selfish by using me, but he was pretty much begging me to...”

She looked up at the sky, tears rolling down her cheeks. “I still didn't want it to happen, but Rye, well... I didn't want him to be killed.”

Thunderfoot said nothing to this. If he were Tosa, he wouldn't care about Rye at all. If he was going to be killed, then let him be killed.

“There's more to it,” Tosa said. “If he was killed, his father would have taken over the herd, and we'd probably all be dead. His father doesn't see females as anything but a tool to produce the 'heirs' as he likes to call them. It's infuriating how hateful he is...”

“I see... A herd lead by Rye's father sounds like it would be better to live in a fire mountain,” Thunderfoot said thoughtfully. “But you still didn't want this to happen.”

“No, I certainly didn't.”

“So technically, Rye forced you into it through guilt-tripping.”

“Yes, though most of the others believe that I wanted it to happen, thanks to rumours spreading around,” she admitted.

“What?!”

“It just... happened. I'll admit that I had become quite distant from the herd since we were separated, and I actually found myself spending quite some time with Rye.”

“You did?” Thunderfoot was confused now. Why would Tosa hang around with someone who had bullied them both in childhood?

“I won't lie to you,” Tosa said calmly. “He was a different person back then. After that fire, he actually came and spoke to me once, and apologised for everything. Then he told me what had happened with his mother... and that... he was terrified of what his father would do to him. We were friends at the time, and both of my parents had accepted that, even though my father was still a little dubious. The reason he bullied you was because he was jealous of you and your grandfather's relationship. He didn't have anyone who truly loved him. I just told him that nothing could be changed and if he could change his attitude towards others, then maybe he would get some love in return. So that's what he did. We played with each other, made some other friends, and life wasn't all that bad.”

“Wow... I never would have expected Rye to change like that,” said Thunderfoot. “So... why did he do this now, if he was your friend?”

“Everything changed once we reached the Time of Great Growing,” Tosa explained. “For a few days he didn't come to join me, because at that time we mostly just hung out with each other for good company. Then one day, he found me and told me that he couldn't see me any more.”

“And then I suppose he stopped seeing you and was changed by his father,” Thunderfoot guessed.

“Indeed.”

“And then one day...”

Tosa said nothing, but just gave the male a slight nod to confirm it.

At this, Thunderfoot muttered several profanities under his breath, which earned him a look of disapproval from the female.

“You'd better watch that mouth of yours around Linnaea,” she warned,” or else Rye will be the least of the your problems.”

“Sorry... it's just that...”

“You're angry about Rye's actions and want to go and kill him right now?” Tosa guessed. Thunderfoot nodded to confirm her guess. “Trust me, I know the feeling...”

Thunderfoot kept silent for while. “Do you want to carry on?” he finally.

“I suppose it wouldn't hurt to let it all out,” Tosa said. “After that... incident.... my mother and I went to Rye's father and demanded answers from him. The thing about Rye's father is that he's very up-front about everything, and is proud to admit his wrongdoings. He claimed that he hadn't spoken to Rye in weeks, let alone threatened to kill him.”

“Who did you believe?” Thunderfoot asked, getting confused himself.

“I don't know,” Tosa answered. “I still don't know what to believe. Rye's father is very truthful most of the time, but I can't imagine Rye himself making that kind of thing up...”

“I can,” said Thunderfoot. “I know how much of jerk he can be.”

“That was before he had his change in his childhood,” said Tosa. “He may be rotten to the core now, but he claims that everything he does is under the influence of his father. I don't know if I'll ever know the truth between them. Both of them tell many lies, but Rye more so than his father. Even with that fact, I can't trust either of them.”

“I don't blame you,” said Thunderfoot. “Did anything happen after that?”

“Indeed,” said Tosa. “I soon found out that I was indeed carrying Rye's offspring, and that just left me feeling disgusted, worthless, terrified, and the list goes on. Laying the eggs was... difficult. There were around ten of those, I believe.”

Thunderfoot didn't know how much more he wanted to listen to, now that he knew where Linnaea had come from. He dreaded to think what had happened to her siblings.

“Fast biters took most of the eggs when I let my guard down, and I had to leave them for just a few moments, which was when they hatched. All three of the ones that hatched were females. When I came back, only Linnaea had survived. I found Rye at the nest, and... oh, Thunderfoot, he had...”

She couldn't bare to carry on, and burst into tears. Thunderfoot, still in shock, comfortingly nuzzled her as he too, felt tears falling down his face.

“Oh, Tosa,” he whispered. “I'm so sorry... if I had known...”

“There was no way for you to know,” she sobbed. “What matters is that it's done now, and there's nothing we can do about the past. We can only look forward to see if the future brings anything better.”

“Of course,” said Thunderfoot. “You're right.”

She half-smiled at him, before continuing on with the final part of her story.

“Of course, Linnaea is not exactly the most loved child in the herd,” she said sadly. “We've had many visitors who came along, had a go at me, tried to get rid of Linnaea because she looks almost like a double of Rye... One of the most frequent visitors we had was Rye's father himself.”

“Oh, dear...”

“It wasn't fun, but he came again not too long ago, and my mother and I did give him quite a beating. I think we may have broken a few minor bones and left him with many whip cuts... I think his physical injuries will keep him at bay for a while.”

“Not to mention how much of his pride you must have completely destroyed,” Thunderfoot chuckled.

“Indeed,” Tosa replied. “I've heard he's been quite ill lately, though. My mother's been told that some of his wounds got infected and now he's got... um, some illness... basically it's spread all over his body now.”

“Oh,” Thunderfoot said awkwardly. “Well, good riddance if you ask me.”

“Oh, come on,” said Tosa. “Would you seriously wish death upon another dinosaur? I didn't think you were that cold-hearted, Thunderfoot.”

“I'm not!” Thunderfoot argued. “It's just that... I think Rye's going to get what's coming to him eventually.”

“Perhaps,” Tosa replied. “Anyway, in case I forgot to mention... it's nice to see you again.”

Thunderfoot smiled at her. “It's great to see you again, too.”

~

Alvarez hesitantly approached the longneck, who was lying down, and obviously pondering over something.

“Sir?”

“Ah, Alvarez,” Rye greeted him with a smile. “Just the guy I was looking for. If you don't mind, I could use some good news for once.”

Alvarez had already opened his mouth to say something, but quickly cut himself off when the last sentence reached his head.

“Um... is it okay if I start with the good news and then go onto the not-so-good news?” he asked.

“Sure,” Rye answered bluntly.

“Firstly, the kid snook off, but she was okay. The bad news is, in order for her to be safe from the others, I had to lead her to the story speakers.”

For a while, there was nothing but silence, and Alvarez was left standing there awkwardly for a long time.

“I suppose that means Tosa and Thunderfoot have found each other, then,” the longneck said at last. “Keep a sharp eye on them, Alvarez. I expect to be told if you hear anything of plans of escape.”

“Of course, sir.”

“I know what he's going to plan to do, and I won't have any of it. Tosa belongs here, and so does the child.”

“Her name is Linnaea, sir. She's your daughter, too; you might as well try to at least remember her name,” Alvarez said impatiently.

Rye raised an eyebrow at him. “Fine, but don't get your hopes up.”

Alvarez sighed. He didn't exactly like having these kinds of conversations with Rye due his strong opinion on females. Everything a female did besides produce offspring, Rye hated, much like his father did. When he had heard that Tosa's cousin was to be a leader of a herd, he was disgusted.

“If you don't mind me asking, how is your father now?”

“Still ill,” Rye answered. “I don't think those injuries of his are healing too smoothly. Darn Tosa and her stupid mother.”

“To be fair, sir... they were only protecting Tosa's child. Any loyal parent would do that,” said Alvarez. “I don't understand why your father keeps attacking them, anyway. Wasn't Tosa an old friend of yours?”

“Back when I was still a delusional child,” Rye growled. “But now, I've grown up, and my vision had become clearer.”

“More like you're blinder,” Alvarez muttered under his breath.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, sir.”

“I fear he may die soon,” Rye said after a few moments of silence.

“Thank goodness for that,” Alvarez muttered under his breath again.

“What?”

“Nothing, sir. Let's just hope things don't come that far.”

“Indeed. Besides, there is still another problem at foot.”

“Which would be...?”

“Thunderfoot. I know what he wants to do. He wants to escape with Tosa so that he can have her all to himself. Well, I won't allow it. Tosa belongs here! She is MY mate! I have to make sure she stays... so that would mean having to get rid of the competition. Thunderfoot must either leave, or die.”

“Is it that necessary, sir?” Alvarez asked uncertainly.

Rye looked at him as if he was mad. “Completely necessary,” he answered coldly. “Go back to work, Alvarez. Keep a close eye on all of them.”

Alvarez just nodded and sprinted away. He was hungry, but he decided to skip lunch for now. He had to warn the longnecks of Rye's cruel plan.

~

“I'm getting you all out of here.”

“That's impossible,” Tosa whispered, tears still falling from her eyes. “Rye has fast biters guarding every entrance. If we go there, they'll try to kill us! I know... I've tried many times...”

“I know a way,” said Thunderfoot. “I came through a way where there were no fast biters.”

“That wouldn't happen to be that cavern, would it?”

“Actually, yes,” said Thunderfoot. Tosa just shook her head.

“I'm not going without my whole family, and my mother is too big to fit through there.”

Thunderfoot gritted his teeth. She had a good point there. “Maybe we should join the others again,” he suggested. “I need to think of a plan.”

They did just that, and Patrice was surprised to see Tosa looking tearful but somewhat... happier. It was hard for anyone but her mother to see, but Tosa seemed to be looking a lot better than she had done in a while.

The longnecks all lay in a circle as they brainstormed ideas of what they could do to get out.

“I think I've got something,” Thunderfoot said at last. “Saro, you can take Tosa and Linnaea through the cavern, while Patrice and I go to an exit with less fast biters.

“They'll be less of them in places longnecks would find hard to reach,” came another voice. The group was surprised to see a fast biter in between Patrice and Thunderfoot. He calmly walked into the centre of the circle, and flashed Linnaea a quick smile. “I thought I'd give you a few extra ideas, given what Rye's planning to do...”

“Rye?!” Tosa exclaimed. “What's he up to now?”

“He knows Thunderfoot is here,” Alvarez explained. “He has to get rid of the competition.” He turned to Thunderfoot. “That means he wants to kill you.”

“Kill me? Why?” Thunderfoot demanded. He hadn't exactly seen a 'talking' sharptooth before, but right now he was already in enough shock, so he could just shrug this small thing off for now.

“He believes you want to take Tosa with you, and my guess is that he would be right to think that. Am I right?”

“What makes you think we should talk to you?” Tosa snarled. “You're on Rye's side.”

“Am I, now?” Alvarez countered coolly. “Okay, then. Linnaea, how did you discover these two story speakers?”

“You took me there,” Linnaea answered, shocking Tosa and Patrice. Alvarez looked back up at the grey female.

“There you go,” he said. “If I had not led them to those two, would she have actually found them? And if she hadn't found them, would you two have found each other? I doubt it.”

“I still don't trust you,” Tosa said stubbornly.

“Fair enough,” said Alvarez. “I'll leave you lot to it, then. I'm just saying: find an entrance that's hard to get to. Rye sends less fast biters to those spots.”

With that said, Alvarez turned away and walked off, back into the forest.

When they were sure he was gone, the longnecks resumed their escape plans. Before the day was done, they had come up with their final plan.

“So, we start before the first light of the bright circle,” said Thunderfoot. “They'll be less alert then. Saro will take Tosa and Linnaea through the cavern route while Patrice and I find a difficult place to get out of.” He had taken heed of Alvarez's advice.

“Agreed,” said Tosa. “I suggest you two go and find somewhere to sleep where Rye won't find you. We'll stay here, just in case he gets suspicious. We'll meet you at that cavern before the bright circle starts to rise.”

Thunderfoot just nodded before he and Saro got up and left. The three females sat in silence for a few moments, and then, for the first time in years, Patrice and Tosa laughed.

“I can't believe it! Finally, we're getting out!” Tosa cuddled Linnaea with a huge grin on her face. “Finally...”

“Mother?” Linnaea asked. “What's it like out there? Is it dangerous?”

“It can't be more dangerous than here,” Patrice muttered. Tosa gave her a look of slight disapproval before turning to her own daughter.

“No, dear,” she answered. “It's beautiful out there. I think we'll find a place where you can grow up with all of your friends and be happy, just like you deserve to be.”

“You deserve to be happy too, Mother,” said Linnaea. “Won't you have friends?”

“Hopefully,” Tosa answered. “But even if I don't, I'll still have you.”

Linnaea smiled at that and cuddled her mother's face before letting out a long yawn.

“It's been a long day, hasn't it?” Tosa asked.

Linnaea just nodded in reply and climbed onto Tosa's head, ready to go to their resting place and settle down for the night.

“Hey, Mother?”

“Yes?”

“Do I... make you happy?” Linnaea asked hesitantly. “It's just that... you seem sad a lot of the time,  and... and I feel like it's my fault.”

By the time she had finished talking, Tosa and Patrice had reached the resting place and had lay down. The older females exchanged glances that almost seemed like horror at the hatchling's statement.

Tosa let Linnaea slide off her head before answering.

“Linnaea... listen to me,” she said quietly. “You have made me happier than I have felt I could ever be in this time. If it weren't for you... I'll be honest... I wouldn't be here today.”

The child just looked up at her with a confused expression on her face, but Tosa just smiled and walked off the get a drink for the young hatchling. Patrice decided to carry on explaining to her granddaughter.

“You see, Linnaea, something terrible happened to your mother before she hatched you,” she said quietly. “And the only reason she seems sad a lot of the time is because she has something called depression.”

“Depression?” Linnaea questioned. “What's that?”

“It's something you can't escape,” Patrice explained. “It's constant feelings of self-worthlessness, constant unhappiness, losing interest in everything you once enjoyed, feeling guilt-ridden a lot of the time, loss of appetite, and the list goes on...”

“Oh... so I didn't cause Mother to have depression... or did I?” Linnaea asked, getting more worried.

Patrice hesitated for a moment. It was a difficult question to answer.

“It... does involve you, but no, it's not your fault at all,” she finally said.

“I don't understand, Grandma.”

“Well, it takes two to make a child,” Patrice admitted sadly. “The truth, little one, is that you do have a father. We didn't want you to know because... well, let's just say that he was the cause of the depression. He's a horrible longneck, Linnaea. You must know that.”

“O-okay...”

Tosa had returned, precariously carrying a treestar full of water. She gently set it down next to Linnaea as her mother continued to explain to the child.

“He forced your mother to have children... and she was far too young for it,” Patrice explained. “And we need you to understand that it isn't your fault at all. You can't help being born, after all.”

Linnaea nodded again, and turned to her woeful mother. “So... he made you really sad.”

Tosa give her a mere nod. Linnaea swallowed hard.

“Then... I'm glad you didn't tell me about him. I don't like him.”

“Not many people do,” said Patrice.

“So, that explains why a lot of longnecks in this herd hate me, then... they think I'm like him, don't they?”

Tosa and Patrice exchanged an awkward glance, before Tosa gently nuzzled her child. “We know you're not,” she whispered. “We know why he is the way he is: he was raised without any love. Remember, my little one, your grandmother and I will always love you, no matter what.”

The hatchling rubbed her head against Tosa's. “I love you too...”

“I'm sorry if it seemed I didn't act like that,” Tosa said regretfully. “But we're getting out of here. We can start our lives afresh, and I promise that I'll try to be happy again for you.”

“I think we should get some sleep for now, though,” Patrice suggested.

“Of course, Mother,” said Tosa. Linnaea snuggled up next to her as she nuzzled the kid again. “I'm so proud of you...”

Linnaea just smiled, yawned, and closed her eyes. Tosa and Patrice exchanged a few words of encouragement and comfort before falling asleep themselves.

~

Close to the cavern, Thunderfoot watched the night circle cast its light across the crater. The atmosphere was eerily peaceful, and he felt somewhat content. He had found his best friend again, and desperately wanted her to have a better life again. He refused to leave until she was out.

He was also concerned. If what that fast biter had said was true, then Rye was going to be out for his blood if he found him. Fortunately, he and Saro had found a large cave near the cavern where they felt safer than if they were out in the open.

The pure light of the full night circle flooded the area, casting playful shadows everywhere. In a way, it felt like they were given a peaceful night in order to prepare. Still, something didn't seem right. It felt... too peaceful. Usually there was be the sound of night-time crawlers chirping in the bushes, but tonight, there was complete silence. There was no wind to make the trees dance, and the nearby watering hole looked more solid than liquid because it was so still. It was a perfect night.

Saro joined his friend's side.

“Looking forward to tomorrow?” he asked quietly, not wanting to completely disturb the tranquil night.

“Not particularly,” Thunderfoot answered. “It will be difficult, but I do look forward to end result if we succeed.”

“We will,” Saro said determinedly. “My instincts are telling me so.”

“I know us longnecks are known for good instincts, but I doubt they can tell the future,” Thunderfoot joked.  

“Mine are special,” Saro answered pridefully.

“Yeah, right,” said Thunderfoot. He looked out over the horizon, then up to the stars. “Either way, I hope you're right.”

“I'm sure I am,” said Saro. “Come on. We should rest up for tomorrow.”

Thunderfoot agreed and the two settled down for the night, having a quiet chat before completely falling asleep.

~

The peace... the peace was mocking him.

Rye watched as he made the fast biters try and try again to revive him, but it was no use. He was gone, and was never coming back.

Alvarez was there, feeling both grief and relief.

“It appears that one of the wounds Tosa gave him got infected. Sometimes when that happens the infection spreads around the body and it can be fatal. I'm afraid that this is the case here.”

“But can't you cure it?!” Rye demanded rashly. “This can't just happen now! I need him!”

“Sorry, sir, but the healer has tried everything,” Alvarez said remorsefully. “There's no way to bring him back. I'm sorry...”

Rye was silent for a few moments, before the quiet atmosphere was disturbed by the sounds of splintering wood and load roars from the longneck. Many of the fast biters backed off until he had calmed down, which took a very long time.

“Dammit, Tosa,” Rye snarled. “How could she do this?”

“She was being protective, I suppose,” Alvarez said thoughtfully.

“It was a rhetorical question!” Rye snapped back at him. The small fast biter kept his mouth shut for the time being, not wanting to anger the giant creature in front of him even more.

The longneck took a deep breath. “Forget about Thunderfoot,” he muttered. “Tosa has to pay for this...”

Alvarez took a step back as he realised what Rye was thinking.

“Should I... leave you be, sir?”

“If you must,” Rye answered, not even looking at him.

Alvarez ran off in terror. It was as though Rye's father had immediately possessed him when he died. Most of the fast biters were with him now, which meant that a good amount of the entrances would now be a lot easier to get through. He sprinted as quickly as possible to where Patrice, Tosa and Linnaea were sleeping. With Rye in mourning, they would be able to get out more easily now.

----------

Long chapter is long. :o

I realised there was no easy way of saying about the 'forced mating' thing, and I had trouble which scenario to look into. I researched a fair bit into this, and I also have an experience. No, not me, thank goodness, but the older sister of an old friend of mine unfortunately went through it. :( She looked awful the only time I saw her after it happened, and not long after that, the family moved away and I heard from none of them again. It was sad. :cry

So yeah, Tosa is sort of based of her here. Sorry if you don't like the idea, but that's the only time this'll be brought up in any of my fanfics, so don't worry about it becoming a habit...

Anyway, hope the rest of the chapter's all right, at least. Alvarez, don't be so mean about Rye and his father. :lol Well, at least you know whose side he is on, now. But, why is that?

Speaking of, the old dude died. Thank you, Tosa and Patrice. The world is now at peace. I'll be hosting a celebration at my local airport tomorrow night at 7:00pm. What? Don't think an airport is an appropriate venue? Well, excuse me if I'm going plane-spotting tomorrow (it's because my mum and I are picking up our Irish relatives, NOT because I'm too obsessed for my own good and have no life :lol ). Wait... tomorrow's Halloween... his ghost might come back. Yeah, forget the party. :nyah

I think I'll just go and post this. I'm already too hyper for my own good. Dunno when Chapter 14 will be up. *shrugs*

...why do I keep doing alliterated chapter titles? :confused

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It isn't bad, trust me :yes

I admit it is a serious matter but the way you wrote it is appropriate and not disturbing :)

I actually quite like the story, and there's hope after all...
The whole chapter seems like a climax to me eventually resulting in an event in the next chapter that just oughtta be exciting, dramatic and great :DD :)

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
OMG guys, look, LOOK! A dead topic!  :wow

Yeah... Sorry it took an eternity (literally) to update again, but I suppose, along with my year-long break from the GoF, I kinda lost interest in writing this for a while. I was especially unhappy with how Chapter 13 turned out in the end (I kinda wish I stuck to the darker version now, but I suppose that can still be amended) and that really put me off continuing this, but I guess you gotta just take what you have and carry on. So anyway, enough random rambling and reflecting on regrets (if that's not good enough alliteration for ya, I don't know what is :lol), let's just get going on this.

----------

Chapter 14: The Fight for Family

“Thunderfoot! Thunderfoot!”

He opened his eyes, surprised to hear that voice.

“Tosa? What are you doing? It's not time yet.”

“Change of plan,” said Tosa. “We're going now.”

“...we are?” Saro grunted as he hoisted himself onto his feet. “But it's still kinda early...”

“Doesn't matter,” said Patrice. “Rye's father has died and he has withdrawn most of his forces. I'd still stick with the plan of Tosa and Linnaea going with you, Saro, and myself going a different way with Thunderfoot.”

The males nodded.

“But, how did you know that Rye's father died?” Thunderfoot questioned. “You look like you've just woken up yourself.”

“That would be me.” A small being came from underneath Tosa. “I swear, it's best that if you're going to escape, you'd better do it now. Rye has something even more despicable planned.”

“Oh, yes,” said Tosa. “You never told us what that was.”

“I assure you, I will only say once you are all safe,” Alvarez answered.

“Hold on just a moment,” said Saro, glaring at the fast biter. “How exactly can we trust his words? He could easily be lying to us.”

At this everyone just stared at Alvarez, waiting for his answer. In turn, he stared back at Tosa. It seemed that, like her daughter, she had taken most of her father's looks.

“I was asked to come here,” he finally said.

“By who?” Thunderfoot demanded. “Your pack leader?”

“I wasn't in a pack before I came here,” Alvarez calmly explained. “No, I was asked to come here by some else. Someone most of you should know.”

Everyone glanced at each other, confused, before they turned back to face Alvarez again.

“What was their name?” Patrice asked.

Alvarez grinned, his teeth gleaming in the moonlight.

“Sorrel.”

The two older females gasped in shock. Not only was Sorrel still alive, but had he actually sent them help in the form of Alvarez?

“He wouldn't leave you two completely without help and protection, y'know,” Alvarez continued, a look of amusement on his face as he watched the longnecks' looks of utter disbelief. “I did relay information to him from time to time, but one of the other fast biters noticed me sneaking out and threatened to tell Rye, since he was one of those who could speak Leaf-Eater. So, I had to stop. However, he knows most of the important stuff, such as what Rye did to Tosa and Linnaea's existence.”

Tosa suddenly looked uneasy. “H-how did he react to that?” she stammered.

“He was furious with Rye, of course,” Alvarez said quietly. “He actually wanted me to help him break in so that he could attack, but I politely refused. He could've easily gotten himself killed and I was doing a good enough job as a spy, and spies don't blow their cover.”

“So you were just pretending to be on Rye's side, then...” Thunderfoot said thoughtfully.

Alvarez nodded. “That I was.” He turned to Tosa and Patrice. “He's worried about you three. And no, he's not going to hate Linnaea when he sees her, if that's what you're thinking.”

Tosa turned her head to look over to her daughter, who was still fast asleep and seemingly undisturbed on her back. She decided not to wake her until they got into the cavern.

“Anyway...” Saro started. “What are we still doing here chatting? We need to be getting out of here while Rye's distracted.”

“You're right,” said Alvarez. “Thunderfoot and Patrice, I'll be going with you. That way I'll be able to show you the best exit to use.”

Thunderfoot just nodded and turned to Tosa. “Good luck,” he said.

“You too,” she answered, giving him a faint smile.

“We'll meet up outside the exit of the cavern,” said Saro, and everyone nodded in agreement.

“And after that we find Sorrel,” said Patrice.

“Yes,” Thunderfoot agreed. “We should get moving. Good luck everyone.”

They said their goodbyes before heading off in different directions. Saro and Tosa didn't hesitate to get to the cavern as soon as possible.

“I don't remember that being there,” Tosa said as Saro started to push to boulder away from the entrance.

“Yeah, well,” Saro grunted as he pushed with all his might. “I thought it was undiscovered, and I felt uneasy when I first got in, so I-”

“Covered it up,” Tosa finished for him. “Need some help there?”

“It's okay, I've got it,” Saro answered. He finally managed to get the boulder completely out of the way so that they could both get through. “I'll go first,” he said when he had finished panting. “It'll be dark in there, so hold onto my tail. If anyone crashes into anything, it'll be me.”

“Okay,” said Tosa. “Just be careful.” She carefully nudged Linnaea to wake her up, just in case she needed to hold onto something. The hatchling was both surprised and elated to hear that they were leaving early.

Finally, they entered the cavern. The night circle dimly lit it for a short part of the way into it, but it wasn't long before they were in complete darkness. Saro did indeed keep bumping into things, but warned Tosa about any large dips or steps in the ground and when to lower her head. After what felt like hours of stumbling around, they finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

“There!” Saro cried out with relief. “At last.”

Suddenly, they felt a small tremor in the ground, and then shouting and roaring could be heard. Tosa let out a petrified gasp as she became more and more terrified.

“Rye? He knows?” she whispered fearfully. She could feel Linnaea's grip tighten on her skin; clearly the hatchling was also terrified.

Saro, too, looked scared. “Right, then we're getting out of here as soon as possible!” He quickened his pace now that he could see the direction he needed to go in, with Tosa following swiftly behind him.

~
Thunderfoot hoisted his large body onto another ledge.

“Need a tail?” he offered, watching sympathetically as an out-of-breath Patrice followed him. The female looked exhausted from all of the climbing.

“Thanks.” She panted as she grabbed his tail with her blunt teeth and hoisted her larger body up with his help. “Any chance... we can stop... for a quick rest?”

“Of course,” Thunderfoot answered softly. He was feeling quite tired himself.

Alvarez had held on to Patrice's tail on the way up, trying not to dig his claws into her skin too much. Patrice had been interrogating him about Sorrel for most of the journey, and only stopped a few moments ago. Whether it was because she now trusted his word or she was too tired to ask anything else, Alvarez didn't know.

He and Thunderfoot checked the view from the ledge to make sure nobody was following them. Thankfully, it seemed that Rye and the other fast biters hadn't noticed their departure just yet.

“I hope they're still there,” Thunderfoot said quietly. “I'm worried that they've all gone after Tosa, Saro and Linnaea.”

“No...” Alvarez answered. “I believe they'd be more likely to come after us. They can probably see where we are and we're an easier target than they are.”

Thunderfoot just nodded, before asking another question. “Why exactly did you follow Sorrel's orders, anyway?”

“I... well, I just came across him... and to be honest, I felt sorry for him,” Alvarez explained. “I know what it feels like to have lost one's family. He was... really depressed. He felt like an idiot for getting protective of his family and getting himself banished. Of course, he was even worse when he found out the price Tosa had paid for it. He said he'll never forgive himself. I wanted to help get his family back to him so that he could be happier again, but... I fear that every time he even looks at Patrice, Tosa or Linnaea, he'll just feel more guilty.”

Thunderfoot said nothing as he thought about Alvarez's words.

“He had lost some serious weight when I last saw him,” Alvarez continued. “To be honest, I'm not sure if he's even around any more... but I dare not say anything to the girls, especially his mate.”

“I'm sure he is,” Thunderfoot answered as he continued to keep watch, still thinking about the figure he had seen before entering the crater. Suddenly, a shadow came into view, followed by another, and another...

“They're coming,” Alvarez growled. “Let's go!”

The two went back to Patrice and warned her, and thankfully, she was able to get up and dash off with them. Luckily, they weren't too far from the exit, but now they had to go downhill.

“Be careful not to trip!” Thunderfoot warned as they stormed down the other side. None of them cared how tired they were; the adrenaline kept them going for now.

The longnecks gasped for air when they finally reached the bottom, their huge bodies not made for running. Patrice collapsed on the ground with exhaustion, but was terrified into getting up again when they saw the shadows approaching, including the shadow of a longneck.

“Rye!” Thunderfoot snarled. “How did he get up there so fast?”

“Let's not dwindle on that!” Patrice answered. “We should get out of here and find the others!”

“Yeah!” Alvarez agreed, and they all sped off towards to exit of the tunnel Saro and Thunderfoot used to get in.

~

When Tosa, Saro and Linnaea finally got out, they were relived to see that the other three were already there.

“Where in the world have you been?!” Thunderfoot exclaimed. “We need to get moving, now!”

“Yes we do!” Tosa agreed. “Rye's after us! He was chasing us through the cavern.”

Alvarez gave her a confused look. “But Rye was chasing us,” he said. “He can't be in two places at the same time. Perhaps he sent some of his fast biters after you.”

“Either way, we'd better shift ourselves,” Patrice suggested. “They'll be on our tails soon. Let's get to that forest over there.”

They hurried towards the area of green as quickly as they could, hoping to lose Rye and the fast biters in the foliage.

Alvarez kept behind them, and flinched when he turned his head around. “I really don't recommend turning around right now.”

“Are they gaining on us?” Thunderfoot asked frantically.

“Well, yes... and quite quickly, too,” Alvarez answered. “Just keep going!”

They quickened their pace as much as they could, despite them already being so exhausted and out of breath. Finally, they crossed over the small stream and found themselves at the border of the forest, but they were too late.

Most of the fast biters pounced on Alvarez, who was furthest behind, pinning him to the ground, whilst avoiding the furious tails of Patrice and the males, who now saw that Tosa and Linnaea were in need of the most protection. Their distraction gave Rye enough time to reach them, and he looked enraged.

“Let him go,” he snarled to the other fast biters. One of them understood and translated to the others, who immediately unpinned Alvarez.

Rye just stared sharp rocks at him. “So, you helped them out?”

Alvarez she gave him an arrogant grin in reply. “Sorrel's orders. Sorry if I forgot to mention that, sir.”

The longnecks used Alvarez's distraction wisely, and cautiously backed off towards the foliage that was close behind them.

Rye let out a horrifyingly load roar out of pure rage, which could have easily been heard for miles around. It would prove to be another mistake, as another being would also hear him, and head in that direction.

“You were helping SORREL?!” Rye yelled, extremely agitated by what he had just heard. The longnecks backed off a bit more, until Tosa was safely among the green.

“Must've slipped my mind when I was taking the job,” Alvarez said mockingly.

Rye just snarled and snapped his head towards the other longnecks, who froze on the spot.

“Tosa.”

She didn't come out from her little hiding spot, instead grabbing Linnaea and placing her gently onto the ground, near some thick bushes.

“Listen to me, little one,” she whispered. “Stay here. If anything breaks out, just run... run as fast as you can.”

“TOSA!”

Linnaea just answered her mother with a terrified nod, before she watched her turn and exit back into the open land.

The two stared at each other, Tosa with intense hatred.

“What do you want, Rye?”

“You're coming back with me.”

Tosa just rolled her eyes. “Tough, because I won't. I don't remember you being my boss or either of my parents.”

“I'm your mate, that makes me your boss,” Rye growled at her. “Get back to the crater.”

“No,” Tosa answered sternly.

“Fine.” Everyone was quite surprised to hear Rye say that. “I'll let you and your mother go on one condition: give me the child.”

Tosa laughed as if it were a joke. “You must be kidding me. Hand Linnaea over to YOU?!”

“It's either that, come back to the crater, or I'll make sure all five of you just die.”

“You're demented,” said Patrice.

“Am I now?”

“Yes!” everyone answered simultaneously.

“...This is dragging,” he muttered. One of the fast biters was standing next to him, and the longneck whispered something.

“No!” Alvarez cried when he heard the fast biter translate the order. “Linnaea, run!”

He had just confirmed that the hatchling was close by, and though they desperately tried to fight them off, some of the little carnivores escaped the wrath of the adult longnecks.

She didn't hesitate. Linnaea ran as fast as her little legs could carry her, though that wasn't fast enough. They were gaining on her... closer and closer...

It seemed like things only got worse when she crashed into something large and grey, sending her flying backwards. The carnivores reached her. That was it...

Meanwhile, the others fought with both Rye and the fast biters in a battle of anger, sorrow, and revenge. Thunderfoot took it upon himself to take on the larger longneck on his own, and his size was not in his favour at all. Furthermore, he hadn't had to fight any longnecks before, and it was proving difficult. Rye managed several strong blows on him, including on his left hind leg and his face, resulting in deep cuts that were dripping blood.

Despite Thunderfoot's pure rage giving him strength, he was still no match against the brown longneck in front of him.

He could taste the blood in his mouth, and after a while he was beginning to feel woozy from the blood loss, but he wasn't going to give up. He wouldn't give up as long as he breathed...

“THUNDERFOOT!” He could hear the screams of his female friend, but right now he wasn't sure if it was real or if he was just imagining it. Either way, he wasn't distracted, and answered with a strong blow against Rye's side with his tail. The other male roared in pain, and answered by giving Thunderfoot another bleeding wound.

Then, a fast biter came to his aid, further injuring the grey longneck by sinking his teeth into Thunderfoot's flesh.

~

Linnaea could only glance at the giant in front of her before she heard the snapping of the fast biters' jaws, and she ran behind what she realised was another adult longneck, bearing the same colours as her mother.

He knew who that young girl was, of course he did. But how she had gotten here, he had no idea, considering how secure her home was. Knowing not to focus on that for now, he quickly managed to dispose of the fast biters that were trying to attack her with a few swift swipes of his tail which sent them flying. Even though they weren't defeated, the look on the male's face told them that if they tried to be brave and attack, they would sorely regret it, so they began to back off.

Linnaea, too, was unnerved by the longneck in front of her, but when his eyes met hers, they softened and showed much kindness, allowing her to relax a little around him. He reminded her much of her mother, as he shared a strong resemblance with her.

“Linnaea?”

The short-lived comfort turned to complete distrust again as the little one's eyes widened in shock.

“H-how do you know my name?” she asked fearfully, not calmed one bit by the concerned look of the other longneck in front of her.

“I know much about you, little one.” The male chuckled briefly, before he suddenly looked even more concerned. “Don't you have your mother and grandmother with you?”

Linnaea nodded, but she too, looked distressed.

“Where are they?” he demanded.

“...I-In trouble,” Linnaea stuttered. Horrified, the male quickly picked her up by the tail and headed back in the direction she came from, the direction he had heard a threatening roar coming from just a few moments earlier. Just when he could see what was happening with his own eyes, he carefully placed Linnaea on a high branch that was covered with leaves so that the fast biters wouldn't reach her and most of the others wouldn't see her. That, and most of the battle was also shielded from her eyes.

“Stay there,” he instructed, before briefly looking back at the battle taking place in front of them. Linnaea just wondered how she would be able to move from the branch, anyway.

His reddish-brown eyes widened in astonishment, disbelief and anger when he saw what was in front of him. Indeed, his wife and daughter had both managed to escape, but Rye was there too, looking ready to kill. Someone else was fighting him, and while the Sorrel couldn't make out exactly who it was, he guessed that it was someone whom he had firmly believed to be dead, and the same person he had seen a couple of days earlier. His suspicions were confirmed when he heard the other male – who was unknown to him – scream out his name.

Suddenly, things turned even worse. The fast biters that had been trying to attack Tosa, Patrice and the other male scattered everywhere, and then suddenly headed straight for Thunderfoot. Tosa could only watch in despair as some of them distracted Saro and Patrice, stopping them from reaching the longneck in peril, while the others went straight for her already injured friend. Alvarez tried to get in their way, but he was too small to do much damage, and he ended up with only more injuries. When he tried to stop one of the larger biters, he got a shocking bite in return. He collapsed on the spot in pain, knowing that it was one he probably would never recover from...

Sorrel could no longer hide in the trees. He had to act. Even though he had lost a considerable amount of weight, he had still kept most of his physical strength over the period of time in which he was banished. He did have the occasional sharptooth to deal with, after all.

They downed him, their razor sharp teeth digging into his body. Thunderfoot cried out in pain, but nobody could help him. Tosa, Saro and Patrice were too far away to do anything effective, and had several fast biters in his way. It seemed like this was it...

“You know, Thunderfoot... it's a shame, this,” Rye said calmly as he watched the longneck being torn apart by his lackeys. “Really, it should be Tosa in this position.”

“Shut up,” Thunderfoot growled, fighting the excruciating pain in his left side as he felt many sharp teeth digging in. “I'm glad to be in her place, then.”

Rye chuckled, then ordered the fast biters to stop digging in for now; they could kill Thunderfoot before he got his say. “Your death will be in vain. Tosa will be coming back with me, and I'll make sure she never sees Linnaea again.”

Suddenly, he was pushed into by someone. Hardly anybody had noticed a long lost loved one quickly emerging from the trees. Sorrel had used Rye's distraction to make his way over to Rye and Thunderfoot, and right now, he was furious. Rye's eyes widened in dread when he saw who was in front of him, but soon his twisted smile returned.

“Well, well, well...” he said mockingly, taking a good look at Sorrel as Tosa and Patrice stared at him with their mouths hanging open. “If it isn't the deadbeat dad of the family.”

“I think that award goes to you, does it not?” Sorrel tried to sound calm, but his anger at Rye was overwhelming. It took all of his willpower not to slam him to the ground and snap his neck.

Soon enough, the battle between the longnecks and fast biters re-commenced, but Tosa abandoned her mother and Saro in order to make her way towards her father and Rye, with a look in her eyes that had not been seen before. She was going to end this once and for all.

“I'm surprised that you're still alive, considering the grief that the little traitor must have told you about,” Rye admitted, looking frustratingly smug. “But no matter. Looks like you know you have a granddaughter, then? Too bad you'll never see her, though. She's coming back with me and I'm going to make sure that if you are ever killed, it is by her tail! And I'll make her do the same to your mate and your pathetic daughter!”

Abruptly, something else crashed into Rye, this time making him completely topple to the ground. Tosa had reached them, enraged by what she had heard coming from Rye's mouth. Even Sorrel, who was usually the most infuriated by such threats, seemed calm in comparison to his outraged daughter, and even he was disturbed by the livid look in her usually kind eyes. He hoped that Linnaea was seeing none of this.

“Don't you dare make threats about my child or my family,” she said coldly. Though not many of the carnivores that were close to Thunderfoot could understand what she was saying, the ice in her voice sent shivers up their spine.

They were even more shocked when she used all of her weight to pin him onto the ground, and she placed her foot precariously over his neck. Her snarling continued as her temper was ready to explode in his face. Rye could do whatever he wanted to her, but there was no way she would ever let him hurt her family or friends.

“Tosa!” She ignored her father's voice and she glared down at the male in front of her, fire in her eyes. For the first time, she looked ready to kill.

The fast biters backed off from Thunderfoot, only to be struck by a deadly tail. Saro had reached them, after managing to fight off most of the fast biters that were distracted by what was happening to their leader, leaving Patrice to deal with the last couple left.  

For the first time in years, something flashed in Rye's eyes. He was fearful. There were only two things he was ever scared of: his father, and death. Was Tosa really going to kill him right here, right now? He had never seen such a trait in her, and never thought that he would. Nobody did.

Even though he had wanted to do this himself, Tosa's rage calmed Sorrel's own, and he had to stop his daughter from doing what she was about to do.

“Tosa,” Sorrel spoke softly, despite his own anger. “Tosa... let him go.”

She didn't answer, still growling at the downed longneck in front of her. Sorrel calmly walked up next to her. Rye had pressed his eyes shut, his breath shaky.

“Linnaea is safe. She's in a tree at the edge, and while I did try to put her in a covered spot, she still could be seeing this. Don't let Linnaea see you like this, dear,” said the older male. “Don't let her see her mother get out of control.”

At this, Tosa looked up at him, the fire slowly fading as she took a good look at her father after such a long time. She may have looked awful but he looked much worse. It was as if he had starved himself out here, and he looked tired, like he had not gotten a good night's sleep for ages. Finally, she lifted her foot away from Rye's neck and walked towards her father as Rye rolled onto his belly, breathing a sigh of relief.

When she reached him, she just wrapped her neck over his and buried her head into his skin, sobbing heavily.

Neither exchanged any words as they embraced each other, and it felt like they were in the embrace for many long minutes. Eventually, they whispered words of encouragement to each other as if they had never been separated at all. Tosa looked devastated when she eventually pulled away: firstly because her father looked so much worse since she had last saw him, and also because of what she had nearly done.

She looked at Thunderfoot briefly, who was covered in blood and was collapsed on his side. He gave her a weak smile and looked towards a tree where he could see a brown blob moving. Patrice, having fought off the remaining fast biters with relative ease, had already gone there and was retrieving Linnaea from her hiding spot.

“Go to her,” he whispered. Blood may have been dripping out from the numerous wounds on his body and he was feeling weaker and weaker as time went by, but he no longer cared. He watched her as she rushed over to her daughter and pulled her close, tears rushing down her face. Thunderfoot could only watch for a few seconds before his injuries started to get the better of him...

Saro soon dealt with any remaining fast biters and rushed to his friend's side. By then, Thunderfoot had already passed out, but his heavy breathing confirmed that he was still alive... for now.

Rye got up, relieved that he was spared, but that didn't mean he was let off. Sorrel pushed him down to the ground again, and pinned him down.

“I may have stopped Tosa,” he growled. “But I'm telling you now; you don't leave us alone, and I'll make sure your death is slow and painful. I'm not as easy to stop as she is. The only reason I didn't let her kill you is because there was an innocent child who got caught up into this who may have been watching, so you're extremely lucky. You got that?”

Rye merely nodded, and quickly headed back to the crater when Sorrel finally let him go, but that didn't stop him glaring at him as he left.

The females quickly rushed to Thunderfoot's side, only now seeing just how bad of a state he was in.

“Thunderfoot...” Gone was the pure anger and hatred Tosa had felt earlier, now replaced with guilt and grief. “Thunderfoot!” She kept crying out his name as if she were expecting him to answer, but he didn't shift a muscle.

Patrice decided that the only thing she could do was try to help Thunderfoot as much as she could. She licked his many wounds clean, despite the terrible taste of the huge amount of blood still oozing out of some of the fast biter bites and tail-whip cuts Rye had given him. Saro eventually decided to help her, and Sorrel re-joined the group and helped, too, after a brief reunion with his mate. Tosa was the only one who did nothing as she collapsed with grief. No amount of comfort from any of her family members could calm her down once she started crying.

“I only... just found him...” she sobbed at one point. “I can't... lose him... now... not again...”

Linnaea watched helplessly as her mother cried desperately. She eventually just hugged her mother's face as silent tears also fell down her face. She didn't want this tragedy after seeing such a bright future ahead of her.

“Where's Alvarez?” Sorrel finally asked, only now noticing that the little carnivore was not there. Patrice had told him about how he helped them to escape, fulfilling his promise to Sorrel.

Saro and Patrice exchanged questionable looks, but weren't sure how to answer him. Sorrel, knowing that most of Thunderfoot's injuries had been dealt with for now, left to find him, and it didn't take long. Among other downed fast biters, in a small pool of blood, Alvarez lay, his feathers tattered, his eyes barely open, and his breathing slow and heavy.

“Hiya,” he greeted with a weak grin, surprising Sorrel. “Good fight, huh?”

Sorrel didn't answer, instead looking at a heavily bleeding spot on Alvarez's chest. The longneck knew – as would any creature – that an injury such as that on a small being would probably be impossible to survive.

“Alvarez... I'm sorry,” he said quietly, feeling even more guilty for sending the fast biter in to do such dangerous work. “This shouldn't have happened.”

“I'm just glad to have been of help,” Alvarez whispered.

“Thank you,” said Sorrel. “I mean it... thank you...”

“It was my pleasure,” Alvarez answered. “It's not all bad, y'know. I'll be with my own family soon... you just go and enjoy yours.”

Sorrel just stood in silence as the fast biter's eyes slowly closed, and the smile faded from his face. The longneck stood in silence for a few moments in remembrance, then turned away from the lifeless body, feeling even worse than ever before. Never before would he have asked a fast biter of all things to help, especially not after the attack that had left him with many old scars, some of which still hurt. But Alvarez was very willing to help, and he had not let Sorrel down. He left the body there for the time being and headed back to Thunderfoot. Patrice had now found some leaves and was covering the wounds to stop any bad stuff getting in.

“We've done all we can,” Patrice admitted when her mate came back. “All we can do now is wait and hope for the best. I'd say the wounds that Rye gave to him were the worst. The fast biters luckily didn't manage to rip much flesh away, but he does have some pretty bad teeth marks.”

“Damn him,” Sorrel growled, his anger boiling up inside him again when he saw what Rye had done to his daughter's best friend. His mate could see him tensing up.

“All right, dear,” Patrice said calmly, nuzzling him. “I'm actually surprised you didn't end up killing him.”

“I honestly don't know why now,” Sorrel answered with a frown.

“For Linnaea's sake?” his mate suggested. Sorrel just nodded in reply, before looking over to his granddaughter. She had left her weeping mother alone, knowing she needed time to herself, and she was sitting silently by a small stream, looking at her reflection intently. The male's expression softened as he felt his heart beginning to break.

“Go and talk to her,” said Patrice. “I'll talk to Tosa and try and get her to calm down. Saro, will you be okay watching Thunderfoot for the time being?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, sure,” Saro answered, lying down next to his best friend, who was still unconscious.

Sorrel and Patrice just exchanged concerned glances before they went over to the girls, both ready for a lengthy chat.

----------

So there you have it! That was... intense. :blink:

Well, you guys won't be seeing Rye again in this fanfic (yay!), but that's not to say you've seen the last of him just yet... :lol

Well, lots happening here. The girls got out, fast biters were killed, Alvarez was also unfortunately killed (RIP little guy), Linnaea found Sorrel, Sorrel RETURNZ, Thunderfoot almost dies and- OH S*** ANGRY MOTHER ALERT, RUN AND HIDE! :bolt Damn, Tosa's pretty darn scary when she's mad. :o

Rye didn't get all that was coming to him, but he got a shock. Bye, you little... something! :wave

Aww... poor Thundie. Lucky he's got Patrice there to pamper him, though. I'm sure he'll be okay (if he isn't then there's absolutely no point of me writing this fic up to this point :p ).

There you go, until next chapter (don't ask me when that'll be uploaded)! It's done but I've gotta still make a good few amendments to it.

Fun fact: Sorrel was originally meant to be dead by this point, but I thought, 'Tosa's been through enough crap as it is, and I also really like this guy.' So he's staying around for a while. :DD

Fun Fact #2: Rye was going to have a change of heart in this chapter (yes, I'm serious). He was going to just let them go when Tosa shouted in his face about the importance of family, but I decided to make things more exciting by having the fight scene instead. That, and he might have a role in another story...

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Am I seeing things?

No..you're back and updating again!

By the way this is going to be the worst review ever..I'm too tired right now to go into detail

I'm glad Tosa and Thunderfoot found each other again.

Can I say, Linnaea is the cutest little thing ever? To bad she has Rye as a father, she does remind me of 'Nahla' the old version of her anyway, Rye reminds me of 'Hades'. Not sure if you meant for that to happen, but sure brings back memories of the olden days xD.

And yay the creepy old dude is dead, I didn't like him..he was a douchnozzle. To bad his son is still around.